New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dancing Fox Inn XIII- Luck Costs Extra

Welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn! Come and try our one of a kind beverages and food, chat with friends, or grab a private room and relax. All are welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn.

We would like to ask, please, no smoking in the establishment unless you are on fire. We understand that there are often exceptions. Thank you for understanding. Be sure to enjoy your stay.
    If your characters are upstairs, please say so to avoid confusing the other occupants

Description:
    The inn is . . . indescribable. Size wise, anyway. It has as many tables as needed, and as many chairs as needed. So that needn't be said as well.

The floors are smooth hewn logs. In fact the whole inn is made of wood, with a solid foundation of stones. There is a downstairs common room of tables and private booths, and an upstairs with bedrooms. There is a bar, behind the bar is a kitchen. The tables and seats are made of well-lacquered and cared-for wood, old but cleaned often. The private booths are also made of wood but the seats are cushioned with new upholstery of deep, earthy colors. There is also a basement that acts as storage for the drinks and food (and a secret meeting place). Access to the basement is through the kitchen.

Mist Anders is usually at the bar, with all sorts of convenient tools in his pockets. The fox-boy is currently the bartender and the waiter despite co-owning the place, but don't worry, his hands won't shed into your drinks.
    Kitty is around the inn, waiting tables and keeping things running. Just don't stare at her poofy dress. Or the tails that it's supposed to be hiding.
    Kestrel is...around. He does lots of things, and it's kind of difficult to pin down what he's doing and where he's doing it at any given time.

The inn as a whole can be described as homey, and great pains have been taken to fix it up and make it as good as new where it counts. New paint, new wood, everything. It's not the kind of thing to be shiny, but if it was, Mist would have gotten it sparkling.
    Current Staff:
    Mist Anders- Barkeep And Waiter And Owner (LordDeathKeeper)
    Empty - Waiter/Waitress
    Kestrel- Janitor, Medic, and All-Purpose Employee (recaiden)
    Vemnon - Cook (Devixer)
    Empty - Bard

HIRING: Pretty covered right now.
    THE MENU:
    Spoiler
    Show

Under Complete Overhaul. Until it's done, just ask Mist or Kitty for something.

Wines*:
    Fender Bender Mender: A nice wine mixed with a healing potion. Comes in non-alcoholic. No one can quite decide on what it tastes like, as it likes healing taste-buds and making itself taste divine.
    Bar Drinks*: Nuka Cola Cleansed. A fairly decent knock-off without the unfortunate ingredient of radiation. Plus all sorts of other things on tap!
    Beers, Ales & Such*: If it's found in the Nexus, there's probably a pint of it somewhere
    Food: Roast Pheasant, barbecued ribs, fresh fruit, and honestly anything you could probably think of. Once we have a cook, that is.
    Dessert:

*Can substitute the alcohol for a magical liquid that can make anybody drunk, no matter what the resistance, for a little extra.

Some Excellent Poems
    Dancing Fox Inn and DFI '09
    The Ballad of the Inn
    We Dream of a Town
    Spoiler
    Show

Side note: The DFI is not in any way, shape, or form, inside Inside. It's just a quiet little place off somewhere, that would like to stay free from apoco-plots, various inter-warring factions, and all that jazz.
    Everyone is equally welcome here, just please leave it at the door.

And, as such,
    On Violence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The DFI is a peaceful place. There has been some IC, as well as OoC, talk about it, and the end result is 'please, for the sake of everyone else, don't do it'. If you want to fight, go elsewhere.
    If you insist on fighting here, you will probably find your weapons turning into nerf versions of what they used to be, until you leave. After you leave they'll be returned to what they should be.
    If you try to teleport someone out so you can kill them, it will fizzle and not work. Teleporting out in order to go do plot or RP stuff is fine. Just not to work around the rules and kill someone.
    Lastly, if you choose to ignore these and keep trying to fight, you will either be ignored, or the entire inn and everyone else in it will be teleported off somewhere else, leaving you where it had been completely alone.
    Or, you might find that there's a Nerf gun in your holster instead of your Glock. And a cheese stick in your knife sheathe. And generally other odd coincidences which would make that loadout rather useless.

Though please just don't.

Enjoy your stay.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XIII- Luck Costs Extra

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    One humanoid fey Reinholdt arrives. It's been a while since he's been out drinking. Well drinking at a place you're theoretically supposed to be drinking at any rate. He still finds it a little strange that they need to build entire buildings dedicated to drinking rather than just taking the opportunity wherever and whenever. The strangely handsome fellow with alien pink eyes that lack pupils takes a look around before grabbing a seat. There's some people he recognizes and some people he doesn't. And he certainly never expected to see that person here. Well it's a small multi-universal crossroads after all.
    As the robot janitor goes about their tasks, mopping up a spill here, now throwing another log into the fireplace, one mechanical eye always swivels to watch the pink-eyed fellow.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

One can only be watched by a robot for so long before noticing. After a while, Reinholdt will turn to the janitor. "Don't worry governor. I won't spill. Rum belongs in the belly, not on the floor." He can't promise other messes won't be made, but that's highly dependent on barroom brawls and whether he'll need to use a rocket launcher. The probability of that happening seems low though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lazorath View Post
    "Why did he call you Saki?" Devero asks, "and why would he feel the need to murder thirteen million people for you?"
    "It was my name. Well. Half of it, anyway." Naku explains with a bit of a shrug. "I just kind of showed up one day while very young, didn't have a name, so people just started calling me Murasaki.
    Which, in case you don't know, means 'purple'. On account of, you know."
    At this point, she's kind of twirling a lock of her purple hair around a few fingers. "It wasn't particularly clever, but it was mine.

As for why he felt the need to do that, he . . . what's the word? He has an army. And that's what they do. They hop planet to planet, killing everyone, absorbing the power of the nearby sun, and moving to the next planet. This one he decided to do for me. To try to give me a place where I could grow up. And he thought that was the best way to do it."

One can only be watched by a robot for so long before noticing. After a while, Reinholdt will turn to the janitor. "Don't worry governor. I won't spill. Rum belongs in the belly, not on the floor." He can't promise other messes won't be made, but that's highly dependent on barroom brawls and whether he'll need to use a rocket launcher. The probability of that happening seems low though.
    Naku waves at Reinholdt. She might not know him terribly well, but she's seen him around, and it's always good to see familiar faces.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "The seedier places of Inside, I guess," Wenomir says. "I've heard about some new group appearing, peddling drugs and whatnot. Could be them." He pauses. "Though maybe I should pack a sword..."

"We can swing by wherever it is you're staying now and grab you one,"
    Adir suggests. He slaps a couple of coins on the bar and pushes himself up from the stool with a grunt. "C'mon, let's go. I'm actually itchin' for this."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll have someone fetch it for me. Let's go."

Wenomir finishes the last of his drink and leads the way to Inside.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #7

Ashley hasn't been in the Dancing Fox for quite some time, she had made the Roost her regular hangout. But as fun as it could be to talk with Naku... she couldn't go there. Not anymore.

She takes a seat at the bar with a heaving sigh.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lacking a neck, the janitor can't nod. But their front display flashes a happy cat face. So that's probably close enough.
    They finish that patch of sweeping and heads back to the kitchen-side basement entrance.
    This will call for stealth. Something the machine rarely has cause for.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "It was my name. Well. Half of it, anyway." Naku explains with a bit of a shrug. "I just kind of showed up one day while very young, didn't have a name, so people just started calling me Murasaki.
    Which, in case you don't know, means 'purple'. On account of, you know."
    At this point, she's kind of twirling a lock of her purple hair around a few fingers. "It wasn't particularly clever, but it was mine.

As for why he felt the need to do that, he . . . what's the word? He has an army. And that's what they do. They hop planet to planet, killing everyone, absorbing the power of the nearby sun, and moving to the next planet. This one he decided to do for me. To try to give me a place where I could grow up. And he thought that was the best way to do it."

Naku waves at Reinholdt. She might not know him terribly well, but she's seen him around, and it's always good to see familiar faces.
    Cherie raises an eyebrow. "My good lady, that isn't exactly material for 'Father of the year'." She rolls around the name "Murasaki" in her head for a moment. It was nice, she supposed, but she liked Naku more. Then again...

"I take it you prefer Naku? It is what you introduced yourself as, after all."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist frowns a little and fetches Naku some bourbon.
    "Like, this level of strong?" he asks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well as long as the robot seems satisfied, Rein can go right back to drinking. And returning Naku's wave. Almost. He pauses mid-wave and stares rather intently at her. It's a fairly intense stare, but nothing even remotely kin to ogling or sizing a person up. Rather, he almost seems to be staring past her, his pink eyes boring his way through her to the other side. A faint Jiiiiiiiii fills the air around him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

"With everything you've been through with your father I can see why you'd want to change your name," Devero states while thinking of how it must have been to go through life very young without a name since he grew up in a village that held a large amount of pride when it came to who, and what they were. Changing ones name in his village would be the same as changing who he was entirely.

"His way of displaying his affection certainly is interesting to say the least, but if he's planning on killing everyone it might be best to put a stop to him before he absorbs too much power."
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-11-29 at 06:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist frowns a little and fetches Naku some bourbon.
    "Like, this level of strong?" he asks.
    "Yes. Please. Just. Just leave the bottle, if you would."

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Cherie raises an eyebrow. "My good lady, that isn't exactly material for 'Father of the year'." She rolls around the name "Murasaki" in her head for a moment. It was nice, she supposed, but she liked Naku more. Then again...

"I take it you prefer Naku? It is what you introduced yourself as, after all."
    "No. No he is not." Naku agrees. "Didn't even know that was an award."

Naku just looks into her drink for a moment, before working up a voice to reply to this one. "Yes. My name is Naku.
    Murasaki . . . Murasaki is no longer with us. She died defending her home from those that would have seen it destroyed. From those that wanted to hurt her friends."
    Defending it from her, she didn't add, eyes wetting slightly. "And she's earned her rest."

"With everything you've been through with your father I can see why you'd want to change your name," Devero states while thinking of how it must have been to go through life very young without a name since he grew up in a village that held a large amount of pride when it came to who, and what they were. Changing ones name in his village would be the same as changing who he was entirely.

"His way of displaying his affection certainly is interesting to say the least, but if he's planning on killing everyone it might be best to put a stop to him before he absorbs too much power."
    Naku just shakes her head slightly. Changing her name had been the same, for her, as changing who she was.
    She had gotten bitten.
    It hadn't been right any more.
    "Yeah." She agrees simply, still rather emotional about all of what had happened to cause her to change her name, and not really having the words to talk about it.

Then she chuckles once. Then twice. Then nearly breaks into quiet, insane little giggles. "Far, far too late for that, I'm afraid. He's been at this for a long, long time.
    And now he knows I'm here."

Well as long as the robot seems satisfied, Rein can go right back to drinking. And returning Naku's wave. Almost. He pauses mid-wave and stares rather intently at her. It's a fairly intense stare, but nothing even remotely kin to ogling or sizing a person up. Rather, he almost seems to be staring past her, his pink eyes boring his way through her to the other side. A faint Jiiiiiiiii fills the air around him.
    Naku just manages to catch his look as she was turning back to face the bar, and looks back at him. Her expression curious, and head tilted slightly.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope. Can't do it. If Naku wanted to have a weird permeating aura of rose around her, that's her business. It's one of the weirder things he's seen just sort of... existing but it didn't seem to be malicious in nature. Better to just ignore it and not get dragged into some crazy rose aura adventure scheme. Besides, Naku's plenty busy.

Ashley hasn't been in the Dancing Fox for quite some time, she had made the Roost her regular hangout. But as fun as it could be to talk with Naku... she couldn't go there. Not anymore.

She takes a seat at the bar with a heaving sigh.
    Instead, Reinholdt moves over to the depressed looking Ashley. "Can I buy you a drink? They always make me feel better."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #15

Cherie knit her brows in worry and concern for Naku. She thinks of a dozen things she could say, all attempts to reassure Naku, but they don't quite make it from her head to her lips. Instead, she steps nearer to Naku, and tries to take her hand in her own, gazing into her eyes. Her expression is serene and peaceful, an attempt to comfort her, but there's a spark of something else behind her eyes. Something raw, and powerful, and bright.

Bar

Ash looks to Reinholdt. She recognized him, but only vaguely. Hadn't they talked a couple of times? Maybe she should've made an effort to socialize more.

She looks back to the bar. "Sure. As long as it's strong."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Bar

Reinholdt considers for a moment before deciding and placing an order for a pair of Long Island Iced Teas.

Whatever the situation of their past encounters, it's been too long. Sometimes a fresh start is needed. "I'm Reinholdt, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire." Reinholdt performs a remarkable flourish.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist gives a smile and sets the bottle down. Then he goes to his fuzzy animal shape and moves to sit on Naku’s lap like old times. He’s lucky foxes don’t get much bigger from when he last did this.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ashley lets out a chuckle at the flourish. "Ashley, completely ordinary mage." She offers a handshake. "Where do you get a title like that?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt shakes Ashley's hand, as he's briefly stunned and impressed with her curiosity. He can't be entirely sure, but he doesn't think anyone's asked where he got the name before. "Well, honestly, I had to steal it. Or rather unearth the medallion the title is associated with where the last owner of the name hid it. There's more to it than that of course. First I had to earn my way into the secret society with finds, excavations, and discoveries of my own. And then you have to figure out which Treasure Hunter was the Extraordinaire. And only then are you allowed to steal the medallion and the title from them."

Rein sips at his drink a little, contemplating the past. "You couldn't kill or torture anyone for the information either. Not that it mattered. It was her paranoia that gave her away. I don't know if I'd have found it if she hadn't been so defensive about that one location. She had held the title for fourteen years and let me tell you, she had the treasure locked down tight. One of the most perilous retrievals I've ever done. On par with the paladin's fortress town and the zombie infested sunken ufo."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2017-12-06 at 12:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #20

Ashley had expected a fit of blustered bragging in response to her question. What she certainly hadn't expected was a tale of exploration and theft of an actual, physical medallion. She didn't think the title was even remotely real.

"And here I thought treasure hunting was for dorks," she says. "But there's secret societies and sunken ufo's and stuff. Maybe I should get into it. I could use a new hobby."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Devero's eyes turn from Naku straight to the wall in front of him the moment he notices her starting to tear up. He wasn't one to express his sorrows often, and after receiving some insight into Naku he believed her to be the same.

Instead, he remains hunched over his seat like a rock beside her, giving her the time she needs to unleash her emotions then gather herself once more, but his head turns the moment she starts chuckling while gazing at her, completely confused.

"So...you plan to run from him for the rest of your life? Or are you running towards something that could bring about his destruction?" he questions out of interest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well it is for dorks certainly. Very rich, very rugged dorks," Reinholdt says with a little grin. "But there's a little magic in pouring over old maps and exploring places that have claimed dozens before you. Lots of thrills."

The fey tilts his head slightly. "I thought I heard something about a junior adventuring league for beginning treasure hunters, but I don't know if anything came from it or if it fell apart. Might be worth looking into if you're interested."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #23

Ashley snickers. "Sorry- 'junior adventuring league' just sounds funny to me. But it does seem like a good idea. You'd think some upstart in the Nexus would've locked that down."

She shrugs and takes a sip of her drink. She was only recently introduced to the very concept of mixed drinks, but this was quite good. "It does sound fun. Maybe I just think that way cause I've been cooped up with my tomes a while now."

24. - Top - End - #24

Cherie knit her brows in worry and concern for Naku. She thinks of a dozen things she could say, all attempts to reassure Naku, but they don't quite make it from her head to her lips. Instead, she steps nearer to Naku, and tries to take her hand in her own, gazing into her eyes. Her expression is serene and peaceful, an attempt to comfort her, but there's a spark of something else behind her eyes. Something raw, and powerful, and bright.
    Staring into Naku's eyes could be quite difficult, due to how she's staring deep, deep into the bottom of the small glass in front of her. But she does appreciate the closeness, all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist gives a smile and sets the bottle down. Then he goes to his fuzzy animal shape and moves to sit on Naku’s lap like old times. He’s lucky foxes don’t get much bigger from when he last did this.
    Naku gladly pats a little bit at Mist. Her fingers are slender, surprisingly cool to the touch, and more surprisingly very, very scarred. They're nearly invisible against her pale skin, but they're definitely there. Along with the starting callouses of someone who appears to be taking up woodworking, and trying to get away from the sources of the scars.

Devero's eyes turn from Naku straight to the wall in front of him the moment he notices her starting to tear up. He wasn't one to express his sorrows often, and after receiving some insight into Naku he believed her to be the same.

Instead, he remains hunched over his seat like a rock beside her, giving her the time she needs to unleash her emotions then gather herself once more, but his head turns the moment she starts chuckling while gazing at her, completely confused.

"So...you plan to run from him for the rest of your life? Or are you running towards something that could bring about his destruction?" he questions out of interest.
    Her eyes clear fairly quickly, and she downs another drink. "He used to have seven lieutenants.
    He is now down to three."
    She informs Devero, looking over at him, her meaning quite clear. "No. My intent is not to run."
    Though, she doesn't add, nor is it to run towards him. She . . . she really, really wants to be done with that part of her life.
    Besides; there is no one left to save anyway.
    She's the only one left.
    Last edited by Mee; 2017-12-09 at 04:54 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashley snickers. "Sorry- 'junior adventuring league' just sounds funny to me. But it does seem like a good idea. You'd think some upstart in the Nexus would've locked that down."

She shrugs and takes a sip of her drink. She was only recently introduced to the very concept of mixed drinks, but this was quite good. "It does sound fun. Maybe I just think that way cause I've been cooped up with my tomes a while now."
    Rein shrugs a little. "It's probably a little funny. I suspect it was intended for the overwhelmingly expanding children population over at GLoG and the like." It's hard to tell sometimes.

"Magic tomes, huh? Have you been researching anything in particular lately or do you just enjoy learning a little too much?" It can be easy to get swept up in a good book.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A figure in a Pink Floyd hoodie (it has the picture of the light being refracted through the triangle) walks into the inn. His face is shrouded by the hood, and he seems to be smoking. When he fully enters the inn, the smoke seems to immediately subside. The figure then brushes himself off, and finds himself a table. He then seems to dig into his pockets, and procures a piece of folded paper. He unfolds it, and places the paper on his table. The paper reads as follows:

P.T.S.

Private Investigator / Freelance Merc

Lost pet? Annoying coworker? Annoying ant / pro-tagonist?
    P.T.S. can find and / or kill him / her / it!

NO MORAL CODE

Negotiable Prices!

FOR HIRE
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

27. - Top - End - #27

Cherie smiles and nods at Naku. "Should you need the assistance of a humble mage, do let me know, my good lady. I shall protect you with all of my might."

---
    "Well, I always like reading through a new tome and learning everything I can about magic." Ashley sighs. "I've just been too cooped up in my warehouse lately. Trying to keep myself distracted."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

"Opposing him with allies on your side would be best when considering the army he has behind him, and I do my best work when faced against large numbers. I'd be glad to offer my assistance if it's ever needed," he smiles at Naku.

"He's already killed millions, stopping him would save millions more, and the less lieutenants there are the better," he adds while rolling his shoulder, and stretching his body that still aches from his transformation.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh yeah? Distracted from what?" Reinholdt asks Ashley. Now they were getting to the crux of the matter and finding out why Ashley was here and so depressed looking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #30

Ashley sighs and stares into her Long Island Iced Tea. "My girlf- someone I really cared about is gone, and I don't think she's coming back this time." She shakes her head. "I don't really wanna talk about it."