Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) OOC

Put it there
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-02-03 at 02:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    I am nonbinary.

Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Should I also roll init?
    With side initiative individuals donít roll. Both sides roll a d20, no modifiers added, and whoever gets the higher score wins. Earlier I misinterpreted the rule and had everyone make a group check, but that got confusing for me.

Gluteus, I can work in a replacement feature for intelligent initiative if you would like. I meant to talk to you about this before, but I forgot.
    5e Monster Features Index

My D&D 5e homebrew

The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

If Initiative bonuses aren't going to be used here, yeah, I'd definitely want a replacement feature. I personally find using individual initiative is good, because it, on its own, splits initiative into groups, and shows what order everything's going to resolve in. But it's your game.
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    I am nonbinary.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    If Initiative bonuses aren't going to be used here, yeah, I'd definitely want a replacement feature. I personally find using individual initiative is good, because it, on its own, splits initiative into groups, and shows what order everything's going to resolve in. But it's your game.
    I like individual initiative better to, but when it comes to PbP games the added elegance of side initiative is much more significant. What do you think would be a fair replacement? A new skill proficiency seems about right.

My D&D 5e homebrew

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

I like individual initiative better to, but when it comes to PbP games the added elegance of side initiative is much more significant. What do you think would be a fair replacement? A new skill proficiency seems about right.
    What about adding the total initiative bonus of a side to its roll? Just my two cents.
    Chaotic Good, probably

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    What about adding the total initiative bonus of a side to its roll? Just my two cents.
    Oh yeah, that sounds a lot better of an idea than having an equal chance to have higher initiative.
    It's 6 vs 8, anyway. we have +21, they have 3+7 times whatever the golems have.
    I am nonbinary.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

With side initiative both sides roll a d20 and the side with the higher roll goes first. No modifiers are added. If I were to apply dexterity modifiers, then things would get all out of whack when enemies don't have exactly the same number as you. If I were to allow you to add your intelligence modifier to that roll, than it would be six times as stronger with side initiative than it would be in normal initiative. That is not really a fair trade off.

My D&D 5e homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, that sounds a lot better of an idea than having an equal chance to have higher initiative.
    It's 6 vs 8, anyway. we have +21, they have 3+7 times whatever the golems have.
    I never said it was a good idea
    Chaotic Good, probably

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

The point of initiative bonus is to have different reaction time to a new encounter. If they have lower or higher, then that just means they have a lower or higher reaction time. They have +17, we have +21. It isn't a very big difference.
    I am nonbinary.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In this case it does not matter too much, but that does not mean it will make sense in all cases. A single creature with a dexterity of 30 gets half the bonus that your side does, and the fact that is almost impossible for that creature to go before you makes no sense. Following your set of rules, group size automatically offers a massive initiative bonus, which is probably the exact opposite of how it should work.

My D&D 5e homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Well of course. Not all cases will work. If you used side initiative fighting a godlike assassin with 30 dexterity, they would ~60% be beaten on initiative by our team's total initiative.
    Maybe adding only the mean total initiative of each side? With this, they would have +~2.1 and we would have 3.5. With a higher number of party members, there's an inevitability that a lot of the party would have a ton of +0's or +1's, dragging down the mean.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-02-03 at 05:32 PM.
    I am nonbinary.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well of course. Not all cases will work. If you used side initiative fighting a godlike assassin with 30 dexterity, they would ~60% be beaten on initiative by our team's total initiative.
    Maybe adding only the mean total initiative of each side? With this, they would have +~2.1 and we would have 3.5. With a higher number of party members, there's an inevitability that a lot of the party would have a ton of +0's or +1's, dragging down the mean.
    I suppose I could, but by calculating mean I am bound to get a really strange decimal. And when decimals get factored in you are probably going to get highly inaccurate results because you have to round them. The enemy would get a bonus of 2 and you all would either get a bonus of 3 or 4. You basically have a bonus equal to 1.5 times the amount they do, but you are instead getting a bonus that is 1.33 times as high as their's or twice their's. They are not really accurate depictions of what is actually going on. And median and mood would be terrible for what I am trying to do. The plain d20 roll just seems much smoother and more streamlined.

I suppose I could always multiply the mean bonus by five and then treat it as a bonus to a percentile roll, but that is a little complex for just initiative. I could do that for you all if you really want me to though.

My D&D 5e homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Illven and Ilena, please place your characters on the excel document

My D&D 5e homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmm, if initiative bonuses are no longer a thing, is there anything that can compensate for Zaladane's passive ability (Avatar of Battle) to add +2 to the initiative of all allies within 60 feet?
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-02-03 at 09:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Colossus in the Playground

And Lily's jack of all trades applying half her proficiency bonus to init.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I will work on finding suitable replacement features. I forgot just how many features included initiative bonuses.

How do skill prpficiencies sound to you all? They seem like good replacements for initiative bonuses like this one.

Illven, could you please place your character on the battle map.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-02-03 at 11:11 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My D&D 5e homebrew

18. - Top - End - #1338

I will work on finding suitable replacement features. I forgot just how many features included initiative bonuses.

How do skill prpficiencies sound to you all? They seem like good replacements for initiative bonuses like this one.

Illven, could you please place your character on the battle map.
    I thought I did, I think I never clicked outside the box, and thus it didn't save.

And YAY SKILLS!

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

My idea was that you would be outside, ready to cast Polymorph on Olivia and close enough to the center of town in order to see the enemies. The only place Olivia will be able to sneak up on them is from the northwest corner of the map, and go A7-A8-A9-B11-C12-D12-E12-F12-G12-H12 to get to the center of town, which is covered by their 50' movement. Your job's main polymorpher, so you probably won't be doing much at your position. We'll be using this space between the C and G columns as a choke point for the golems, and catch them with our area of effect spells there. Ayle should also probably conceal themself more inside, since the golems will be heading west toward us through that choke point and could attack Ayle to break their concentration on animate objects. The Earth Elemental is positioned to the side of the road to accommodate the dinosaur's path to the center of town, but will move back with the golems as they approach, most likely to block the entranceway of the building between D4 and F9, so they're either bunched up there or kited towards Brann and Zaddion.
    I am nonbinary.

20. - Top - End - #1340

I was going to be in the door, and dashing in and out to retain cover inbetween polymorphs

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

ok gonna toss myself in, but let me know if im too far awya from the polymorphers
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    óThe Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

You're just in line of sight of Lily. The plan was to have you be a dino and ambush the dragon the first round. To have enough space to become a dinosaur in that space, the closest place is B8 since t-rexes are huge.
    I am nonbinary.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ogre in the Playground

mmm easy change, and yea i wasnt exactly sure who was going to be doing the poly morphing this time, and how much space i really needed
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    óThe Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

Zaddion would have been able to from there, but I guess Illven plans to have Lily move to D10 in the first round of combat to polymorph Olivia, and then duck back into the building. Ayle's knives can keep the golems off of you while you fight the dragon. When they figure out Ayle's the caster for that spell, they'll go after her, but then they'll be confronted by the earth elemental, who they will find was summoned by Brann. They'll go after them, and then Brann and Zaddion poke their heads out and slam them with AoE. The golems have 70 hit points each, and will take about 33 from Cone and 20 from Evards- if they fail the save. And more because Evards is a continuous effect. They'll die in 2 rounds if we roll average on damage and they fail both saves they don't have proficiency in. Lily can also throw out a fireball in the middle of them.

Ayle and Lily should go to the very back of the building they are in- because Lily can always make it to the doorway when poly wears off and Ayle only needs to mentally command the knives. The earth elemental will block their way to them, so they'll be after Brann and Zaddion. If not, even better since they'll be distracted while they cast from the shadows.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-02-04 at 02:45 AM.
    I am nonbinary.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ilena, you do realize that Olivia is supposed to be level 10 but she currently has the statistics of a level 8 character. You may want to update your character.

My D&D 5e homebrew

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

Did you look at the battle map, TheArcaneCaster? You're IN MELEE with two of them. That last action will be a total waste of a 5th level spell slot. You could have disengaged through Lily and then I would have moved the Earth Elemental in the way.
    I am nonbinary.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you look at the battle map, TheArcaneCaster? You're IN MELEE with two of them. That last action will be a total waste of a 5th level spell slot. You could have disengaged through Lily and then I would have moved the Earth Elemental in the way.
    OK, but whatís your point? The knives are animated for more than 1 round, you know. If you think that disengaging is better, though, Iíll do that.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2018-02-04 at 11:30 AM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

Yes. That's why it's a concentration spell. Up to one minute. If they're in melee with you, what are they going to do? Attack, and then what will happen to your concentration? It will probably break. That was my point behind it being a waste of a spell slot.

EDIT: Also, looking now at the battle map, I'll move the elemental slightly inside with you. That way, they can't get to you guys. Plan Knives and Plan Dinosaur shouldn't drop just yet. Not until we deal with these golems who were somehow inside with us.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-02-04 at 11:33 AM.
    I am nonbinary.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. That's why it's a concentration spell. Up to one minute. If they're in melee with you, what are they going to do? Attack, and then what will happen to your concentration? It will probably break. That was my point behind it being a waste of a spell slot.

EDIT: Also, looking now at the battle map, I'll move the elemental slightly inside with you. That way, they can't get to you guys. Plan Knives and Plan Dinosaur shouldn't drop just yet. Not until we deal with these golems who were somehow inside with us.
    Ah. I see. Iíll go change my action.
    Chaotic Good, probably

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@ Arcane Caster

What action did Ayle take? You said that she uttered a baleful curse but I can find no spell or feature by the name of baleful curse. Did you mean baleful polymorph?

My D&D 5e homebrew