Results 1 to 1 of 1
- Join Date
- Dec 2015
- On the "Web"
Cliopodans (Centipede-Taur Race based on a type of Oomukade)
So, um, I just realized that I never posted this here even though it was one of the first I made ever. And I even referenced this in another thread of mine and wanted to make sure that I posted it here. I didn't, I posted it on DanDwiki. It's here now.
Note: if you go to look it up on DanDwiki, you'll find somethings different with it due to the fact that I've edited it on my hard drive since last checking it on there.
(Original pic it was based on is waaay to NSFW for this board, but this works okay too.)
"I'll tell ya officer, the assailant was big, like really big, and long too. It was kinda like a human with 4 arms and a massive centipede below. It tried to stick me with some kind of weird needle/dagger thingy"
"So it was riding on a centipede?"
"No, it was the centipede..."
- Failed assassination attempt and an officer of the law
Cliopodans are typically large creatures that seem relatively human from the waist up. They possess two antenna on the top of their heads, four arms, two mandibles that are easily retractable and fit where their cheeks would normally be, and one poison sac within each of the mandibles that is not easily seen. From the waist down they have the body of a gigantic centipede. Some cliopodans have variations on these norms however due to strange defects or environmental circumstances, such as: webbing between their legs and arms, different numbers of arms, different sizes, no poison sacs, more poisonous areas, or the inability to retract their mandibles.
Cliopodan skin tends to be very fair due to their dwelling habits, but may be very tanned if they're out in the sun for long enough. The colouration of their hair and carapace may be of any colour, though darker hues are far more common than lighter ones. Usual eye colours include blue, brown, green, purple, red, amber, yellow, and black, but orange and white are not unheard of.
The average cliopodan(taking in both sexes) stands about 5' 7.5" with about 10' 8" of tail behind them and weighs about 538 lbs.(or about 244 Kg). Cliopodans have between 19 - 21 segments to their lower body .
Cliopodan Clothing is typical very light in material and quite often is simply little more than an apron-like piece of cloth with designs woven into it. Most cliopodans wear darker-hued colours, but a some wear brighter colours to show that they are not quite like the majority.
Cliopodan societies are mainly democratic in nature with a ruling council that is made of representatives from each of the major races within their cities (or if they are the only race, each of the sections of the city). From there the society resembles many human settlements with a larger connection to so-called black markets and shady businesses. While the inhabitants of these cities usually stay within the laws and regulations, there are a few differences between the rules in these cities and those of many others.
- Illicit goods and contraband are freely traded and can be smuggled freely without the guards caring about the wares so long as the city is not threatened by the items
- Slavery is allowed but must not be publicly shown and slave auctions and the like must be done at least 120 miles from the nearest city
- No drug or material is illegal within the city limits, leading to poachers and black market dealers setting up shop in these cities
- Murder, assassination, and related actions are perfectly legal as long as the relative peace of the city is not threatened and it is not done out in the open. Mass murders and slaughters in the "open air" are still illegal however, and any such action will be met with pain of death or torture. Should the former not work the latter will get the point across very swiftly. If neither of those punishments work, then the offender will be blinded, deafened, silenced, and had all of his limbs, sensory organs, and the like removed slowly and painfully before being put into a cell and tortured whenever a civilian needs some stress to take out on something.
- Racism will not be tolerated by anyone within the city, due to the various races not being welcomed or well received outside of it
- All crimes will go before either the Council or the court system, no jury need be present but the defendant can choose to have one at the risk of a much harsher ruling or possibly getting off scot-free
Cliopodans tend to get along well with most common races, however some races (such as most kinds of elves, orcs, etc.) tend to view them in a negative light due to their highly aberrant nature.
A few of the more socially-ostracized or aberrant races(such as driders, Mimics, Medusa(the must wear protective glasses for the safety of others), Scarxi, Serpentfolk, Vegepygmies, Formians(with the queen having a place on the ruling council of their cities), and renegade drow and other underdark races fleeing towards the surface but shunned) live within their cities and often find niches for themselves where otherwise they would find death or exile.
Alignment and Religion
Most cliopodans are True Neutral and most have no strong leanings towards either good or evil, or law or chaos. The best and worst are found among them, but a surprising number of rouges are found within their ranks.
All of these cities are cliopodan only cities, were founded by cliopodans, or have an above average amount of cliopodans.
- Kaalmarvix (a city beneath the major city of Rad'drillmar that connects through the sewer system and the rogue's guild)
Cliopodans often make the lives either adventuring or through helping the rogue's guilds of major cities near/above their cities. Most cliopodans are of the rogue, expert, fighter, or ranger class, but almost all other classes have been seen within their ranks. Nearly all cliopodans deal with severe culture clash when adventuring for the first few times due to the vastly different morals that cliopodan cities usually promote than nearly all other cities.
Cliopodan Racial Traits
Cliopodan characters possess the following racial traits:
- +2 Strength +4 Dexterity +2 Constitution -2 Intelligence, -6 Charisma (-4 App): Cliopodans are a strong, hardy, and intelligent people that are highly nimble for their size, yet have a hard time relating with others
- Large (Long) Quadrupedal Aberrations
- 10 foot space and 5 foot reach
- Speed: 40 feet, 30 Climb
- Special Qualities: Constrict, Multiple Limbs, Poison Resistance
- Automatic Languages: Common, Cliopodan, and Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Any, except secret.
Natural armour: Due to the carapace of their centipede-like lower body having smooth sides and being very hard, Cliopodans have +4 natural armour that stacks with other instances of Natural armour.
Multiple limbs: Cliopodans have 4 arms and thus can take the Multiweapon Fighting feat.
Poison Resistance: Cliopodans receive a +2 bonus to all Fortitude saves against poison due to their diet, which includes quite a few poisonous plants, creatures, and contaminated water.
Quadrupedal: cliopodans possess an extreme amount of insectoid legs similar a centipede (giving them their name), granting them a racial immunity to trip attempts and a +25 foot bonus to their base speed (already factored in). In addition, members of this race use weapons, barding, and armour as if they were Medium (instead of Large).
Natural Attacks: Due to the mandibles that cliopodans possess, they have a bite natural attack that deals 1d6+ Strength modifier damage as well as adding a Poison effect on a roll of 18 or better, this bite attack threatens a critical on a 20 and the DC for the poison effect is +10.
Poison(Ex): 1/day on a roll of 18 or higher when cliopodan attacks with their bite, the cliopodan can choose to inject an extremely potent venom into the opponent; alternatively the cliopodan can choose to instead milk out the poison from their mandibles in a way much similar to how venomous spiders and snakes are milked to be used later(Craft: Poison DC 10). The details of the cliopodan's venom are found below these stats.
Racial Skills: Climb, Craft: Poison, and Perception are always class skills for this race.
Constrict: Cliopodans can use the Constrict special ability. This attack deals 1d6 damage per hit die of the Cliopodan.
Racial Skill modifiers: Cliopodans have a +4 racial bonus on perception checks, +4 racial bonus on hide checks, a +10 racial bonus on climb checks, and a +2 racial bonus on survival; they also have a racial -10 penalty on acrobatics checks due to having an unwieldy body shape
Automatic Languages: Common, Cliopodan, and Undercommon. Cliopodans with high intelligence scores can also learn Thri-Kreen, Goblin, Elven, and Orc.
Alternate Racial Traits
Medium Menace: A few cliopodans are hatched slightly smaller than others. The cliopodan's size in decreased to Medium, the average height for males is 3', for females 3' 6", tail length for males is 8', for females is 8' 6", normal weight for males is 425 lb., for females is 450 lb.. This trait changes the racial size.
Tiny Terror: Some cliopodans suffer from an extreme case of "dwarfism". The cliopodan's size in decreased to Small, the average height for males is 1', for females is 1' 6", average tail length for males is 3', for females is 3' 6", normal weight for males is 55 lb., for females is 60 lb. and they do not have the Constrict special ability. This trait changes the racial size and the constrict ability.
Messed-up Mouth: Sometimes, the mandibles of a cliopodan are formed in strange places. The damage of the cliopodan's bite attack increases to 1d10 + x2 Strength modifier; but the cliopodan cannot speak any language, they can only use written languages meaning that they cannot cast spells with verbal components. This trait changes the Bite attack and Automatic Languages traits.
Spitter: Occasionally, a cliopodan will hatch with strangely formed fangs, these fangs can, instead of injecting poison, shoot a specialized form of saliva(occasionally mixed with poison) out in a forceful jet that can in many cases pierce through skin.
The cliopodan loses their bite attack but gains a Spit attack that does the same amount of damage as well as has the poison special ability however they must roll a linguistics check DC 15 to cast a spell with a verbal component. This trait replaces the Bite natural attack.
Duplex Armatus For 1 out of every 1 thousand cliopodan, they don't have the same number of arms as a usual member of their species. The cliopodan only has two arms and cannot take the Multiweapon Fighting feat unless they find a different way to attain the prerequisites. This trait replaces the Multiple Arms trait.
Sex Armatis: While not common, some cliopodans are hatched with an ''extra'' set of arms. The cliopodan has six arms instead of four. This trait modifier the Multiple Arms trait.
Non-Poisonous: Some cliopodans aren't hatched with the most distinguishing part of the race. (Yes, because being half centipede isn't totally distinguishable. Right)
The cliopodan doesn't have the ability to use the Poison(Ex.) ability, but due to this the cliopodan is a little more aggressive with their attacks; instead of poisoning the victim on a roll of 18+, the cliopodan instead inflicts a bleeding condition of (1/4 cliopodan's HD) on the same roll and the damage is doubled on a critical.
Hyper Poisonous: A few cliopodans are hatched with lines that run down the front of their bodies from the sides of their mouth to their waist where the humanoid portion meets the insectoid portion. These cliopodans are much more dangerous than the normal kind due to the enhanced ability to use their poison.
These cliopodans add the ability to use their Poison(Ex) ability as a Contact poison with the same qualities as Injury if they are grappling or pinning a creature with any amount of their ventral side exposed(this does include neck and face). The cliopodan cannot control the poison within their lines and therefore it can be easily wasted on a person or creature without meaning to. This trait modifies the Poison(Ex.) trait.
Water Worm: Due to a strange case of circumstance, sometimes when cliopodan eggs roll into polluted water(such as sewer water, bad swamp water, or waste collection tanks) the toxins and contaminants will seep into the egg and change the physiology of the cliopodan inside. These cliopodan are hatched with a thick membranous "webbing" between their legs that thinly connects to their arms, much as a cuttlefish's "wings" would. This cuts down on the mobility of the cliopodan but gives them a much different opportunity.
Cliopodans who have this trait gain the aquatic subtype, gain the amphibious special quality, and have a Base Speed of 20, and replace their climb speed with a swim speed of the same amount. This trait modifies the Creature Type and Speed traits. Many cliopodans who have this trait also have the "Thin Shelled" trait as well. This trait may be taken with "Thin Shelled".
Thin-shelled: This cliopodan's carapace isn't quite as thick as the other's are.
The cliopodan only gets a +2 natural armour bonus that stacks with the same kind, instead of the +4 that the race normally gets. However the cliopodan's base speed is 55 instead of 40, and their climb speed is 45 instead of 30. This trait modifies both the Speed and Natural Armour traits. This trait may be taken with "Water Worm". If this trait is taken with "Water Worm", the base speed gain is overlapped by the replaced speed and the cliopodan does not gain the 55 foot base speed.
Favored Class Options
Rogue: Add a +1/3 bonus to the DC of the Cliopodan's poison ability and on the rogue's sneak attack damage rolls during the surprise round and/or before the target has acted in combat.
Ranger: Add a +½ bonus on Perception and Survival checks.
Alchemist: Add +1/4 to a new Discovery.
Adulthood Simple Moderate Complex 20 +1d8 +1d10 +2d6
Gender Middle Age Old Venerable Maximum Age Male 82 Years 164 Years 200 Years +20d20 years Female 85 years 175 years 230 years +25d20 years
Gender Base Height Height Modifier Base Tail Length Tail Length Modifier Base Weight Weight Modifier Male 5' +1d8 Inches 10' +2d8 inches 500 lbs. +1d20 lbs. Female 5'6" +1d8 inches 10' +3d6 inches 525 lbs. (2d10)*3
A very watery seeming, almost clear liquid rests in a green vial that's sitting on the counter, the vial looks as if it was once a part of some large insectoid creature.
Cliopodan venom is, obviously, venom from mandibles of a race of four-armed tauric creatures with the lower bodies of centipedes and humanoid upper bodies.
- A Cliopodan can only naturally use their poison once a day, however the Cliopodan may "milk" the venom from their mandibles, in a similar way to milking spiders and venomous snakes, to store the poison for later use on weapons or to lace a target's food with
The strange thing about Cliopodan venom is that it is considered as both an Injury and Ingested poison for use on both weapons and on foods.
The bottled poison lasts for three weeks before becoming unusable. Each week left unused leaves it with 1/3 less(compounded) strength than a fresh batch. Many are not masters at this and may mess up the process, wasting the venom and the use of the venom for that day which helps the make the fact that this venom is very rare quite true.
The taste and scent of the poison in a victim's food are reminiscent of caramel candies but are so faint that it would take well trained senses to detect (Wisdom DC 20+Wis mod of the poisoner)
- If the poison would be injected into a victim through injector bolts or arrows the poison acts as if it was inflicted through injury
- Fresh: (18 + 1/2 the hit die of the Cliopodan(min. 1) + the Cliopodan's Con modifier) (the average of which being 19)
- 1 week old:(15 + 1/2 the hit die of the Cliopodan(min. 1) + the Cliopodan's Con modifier) (the average of which being 16)
- 2 weeks old: (10 + 1/2 the hit die of the Cliopodan(min. 1) + the Cliopodan's Con modifier) (the average of which being 11)
- 3 weeks old: (5 + 1/2 the hit die of the Cliopodan(min. 1) + the Cliopodan's Con modifier) (the average of which being 6)
Type: Ingestion, Injury
Onset if ingested: 10 minutes
- if ingested: 1/minute
- if injected/injury: 1/round
Initial Damage: 2d4 Dexterity damage
Secondary Damage: Paralysis for 3d8 days
- Effect: The victim is able to talk(after the first day, see, eat, drink, and breathe, but is unable to move any other parts of the body.
Tertiary Damage: Unconscious for 1 day + 1d6 hours
Price: 7,000 gp for a 3 week old dose, 14,000 for a 2 week old dose, 21,000 gp for a 1 week old dose, 28,000 gp for a fresh dose
Forms of containment: The venom sacs within Cliopodan mandibles, small vials reminiscent of said mandibles, glass vials.
Note: This poison is very hard to obtain for Non-Cliopodan peoples, as the Cliopodans tend to not freely milk their venom out for free or even at all in nearly all cases.
Spoiler: Be Warned, Do Not Open This (NSFW)
Special rules for ERP only
This poison can easily be adapted for use in an ERP heavy campaign in the following ways:
- This version of the poison is not milked from the mandibles.
- Alternate Primary damage and effect: 2d4 Wisdom damage (minimum reduced to: 1)
- Alternate Tertiary damage and effect: Seduced/Charmed for 1day + 1d6 hours
- Addition of 4th damage and effect: Victim must make a will save at the same DC as the poison initially for 1d4+1 weeks each time the poisoner is seen or fall under a Dominate Monster effect with the understanding of the poisoner being the victim's utmost priority to please in any way they wish. The victim can choose to fail this save at any time.
Poison is super powerful, race is pretty powerful, not much else to say.