New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Empire!4 Peace in Our Time

This is an event for the on-going - always recruiting - world-building game, Empire 4. If interested, please check out our OOC here.

Barring occasional camel-mounted patrols and scouting parties, there is little sign of D̨vatlan occupation until one approaches the city of Avakon itself. A number of the closer cities have modest, almost half-hearted, sieges and a few have opened their gates in exchange for safety and protection from looting and the other horrors of war. The scars of N̨amodl's raids can still be seen in the farmlands around the city, though much has been repaired, rebuilt and replanted, and life has largely returned to an uneasy and tense normality. Representatives from friends of D̨vatla and neutral states who arrive at Avakon are invited to relax within the city before being directed to the meeting site when the time comes. Those from the empire and her allies and vassals are barred from entering the city walls and curtly sent onward.

The negotiations themselves are held at an impressive country villa not far from Avakon. Comfortable spaces had been prepared for those arriving early, and on the day of the meeting all the various representatives and diplomats are brought to a great hall with the D̨vatlans gathered at one end. N̨amodl is drapped in an absurd pile of rich silks and gaudy jewelry, sprawled out on a throne set amid a pile of various expensive treasures looted from the imperial palaces. On either side of the prince, and nearly as outrageously dressed as himself, are two companions. Tälir stands nearby, dressed in the more simple robes of a noble soldier with only a few ornaments to his royal status and looking haggard and haunted. The younger Zäklis, badly scarred and fully armored, stands alongside his brother, the most notable of the handful of D̨vatlans gathered around the royals.

As the diplomats approach, a servant introduces N̨amodl as “Emperor of Avakon, True Heir of Dejan, Prince among the Tëhlër̨khët, and Protector of the Vratis Strait.” He rises from the throne, and giving an overly elaborate bow, introduces the others, “And, of course, my dear, indomitable cousin Tälir, Lord of D̨vatla and King among my people; and my trusted servants and leal vassals: D̨zur, newly crowned King of Raesija who so bravely held the line outside my new city, and Vëkniz̨, anointed King of...” Unable to stifle a laugh, he has to pause and collect himself before continuing, “...King of the Karysites.”

With a tired expression of little patience, Tälir steps forward and interjects. “The war is, effectively, over. Tactically, the empire has won more often than not, I will grant that, but the war draws steadily ever closer to its end. It is only a matter of time before we drive the southern interlopers back across the straits. Thus, the time comes to make a choice. Every man sent north to hold the line is one fewer sent south. You may try to hold on to everything, and lose everything, or accept what is and save your people.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Empire!4 Peace in Our Time

Docked in one of the many ports of Avakon is a single massive ship; a two-masted, square-rigged Omanush tall-ship, somewhat resembling, but not quite, an Omanush quinquereme. Not much to look upon, considering that Omanush ships are to be found in Avakonian harbors almost every day, but for the massive banner draped from her mainmast; the blue-and-white emblem of Ti Linnad. She was also interesting in that a handful of pegasi had been stabled aboard. Mallow had come up with the idea, essentially turning the ship into a floating stable from which the riders could venture forth and to which they could return. On the meeting day, however, the Gallant stood empty except for a few sailors and twenty-two soldiers; the diplomats and their guards were in the villa, their pegasi stabled outside it, while many crew and most of the marines were on shore leave, on a shore that they certainly never expected.

Most of the soldiers remained outside with the pegasi, but turned their weapons over to the Dvatlan doorwards nevertheless as a reassurance of peace. The Premier entered the hall first, flanked by four Pylliar soldiers. Jannellai wore a white robe with a pattern of outspread wings in blue, partially covered by a grey cloak pinned at the neck by a brooch bearing the same emblem visible on the Gallant’s mainmast. Following behind were a few other Linnadi diplomats, who took up positions on either side of the room.

"Greetings, King Tälir. I hope for the success of these negotiations."

She stood aside and awaited the Empress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Her Imperial Majesty, Vana Rafaela Zhekurus, Empress of Avakonia, Queen of the Karysites, known also as the Sunset Queen, The Purifier, and formerly the Last Heir of Dejan the Magnificent, Unifier of Emjata, watched in quiet contemplation as N̨amodl systematically insulted her, her people, and her life's efforts. She wore her characteristic bronze armor, depicting the triumphs of her forebears, and the relatively simple circlet that both indicated her status and protected her from magics both fair and foul. Her sword and shield had been left with her guard, outside the hall, and when the Vana had left them, the two guard parties had been watching each other closely. Both groups were disciplined enough that there would be no violence unless their masters called for it, but the tension was thick enough to cut nonetheless. The Dvatlans had supported the Inkian rebellion that had ravaged their lands, and the Burning Guard in particular had seen plenty of battle against the northern warriors.

Accompanying her were Flamekeeper Des, who stood at her side and Basmira of the Karysites; Abdurriken was occupied elsewhere, Starbreather accompanied Dastatia during her stay in the Whitefeather Kingdom, and her husband preoccupied in Kuniumi. It was well that Basmira was not in the negotiating hall, or the fine throne N̨amodl lounged upon would be stained by blood already. The woman held the Empress' weapons for her, as a fellow warrior from Karys. Des, meanwhile, was without blade, though the Flamekeeper was competent enough in wrestling and fist-fighting not to require one, should the need arise.

When she spoke, it was with a subdued anger, with all the authority of her long rule.
    "I will grant that your incursions have been met with fortune thus far, King Tälir of Hüpägh, Lord of D̨vatla, Guardian of Gakhus, Warden of Tipëzvär. You would do well to note, though, that our allies are no longer distracted by civil war. My daughter entreats with the Inyoni queen to provide us with aid against our mutual foe in the south, whose rampage you enable for your own ends. You tell me to save my people, whilst you trample roughshod over their homes with little purpose beyond conquest for its own sake. You tell me this while a whimpering, overdressed dog desecrates a burgled throne and insults my people with the presumption that he could ever rule them."

She looked at N̨amodl, and it might be that the man could swear, just for a moment, that the stones set into her circlet were glimmering. It seemed...ominous, somehow.
    "I am willing to make peace, but we will not submit to you, and I shall not stand idly by while a coward and a fool desecrates the titles I bear. If you have terms for peace in mind, speak them openly, but I shall defend the honor of my ancestors. N̨amodl of D̨vatla, I challenge you to single combat, wherein only death shall end the bout. If you are not the coward you appear, then you shall accept, and your life shall end with some shred of honor yet preserved. If you do not, then these talks will be at an end, I shall take my leave, return with fifteen thousand soldiers to take back what you have stolen, and dedicate the years I have left to becoming the undoing of all that your uncle and your cousins have worked for. Once you have both made decisions of your own, I will declare to you my own terms for the end of this war."
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ti Linnad

"Greetings, King Tälir. I hope for the success of these negotiations."

Tälir responds with a polite bow, "As do I, Premier."

N̨amodl gives the best bow he can manage, struggling with the absurd robes he is trying to get just right before the empress arrives.

Avakonia

"I will grant that your incursions have been met with fortune thus far, King Tälir of Hüpägh, Lord of D̨vatla, Guardian of Gakhus, Warden of Tipëzvär..."

Several of the handful of nobles gathered around the D̨vatlan nobles exchange confused glances, N̨amodl gives a derisive snort, and Tälir raises an eyebrow slightly at the unorthodox list of titles granted to him.

"...You would do well to note, though, that our allies are no longer distracted by civil war. My daughter entreats with the Inyoni queen to provide us with aid against our mutual foe in the south, whose rampage you enable for your own ends. You tell me to save my people, whilst you trample roughshod over their homes with little purpose beyond conquest for its own sake. You tell me this while a whimpering, overdressed dog desecrates a burgled throne and insults my people with the presumption that he could ever rule them."

N̨amodl's eyes brighten noticeably at the insulting reference to him.

"I am willing to make peace, but we will not submit to you, and I shall not stand idly by while a coward and a fool desecrates the titles I bear. If you have terms for peace in mind, speak them openly, but I shall defend the honor of my ancestors. N̨amodl of D̨vatla, I challenge you to single combat..."

A look of pure, unexpected delight breaks out on N̨amodl's face, while Tälir's expression turns to horrified shock and he takes a step back, stunned.

"...wherein only death shall end the bout. If you are not the coward you appear, then you shall accept, and your life shall end with some shred of honor yet preserved. If you do not, then these talks will be at an end, I shall take my leave, return with fifteen thousand soldiers to take back what you have stolen, and dedicate the years I have left to becoming the undoing of all that your uncle and your cousins have worked for. Once you have both made decisions of your own, I will declare to you my own terms for the end of this war."

After a moment of confused silence from the D̨vatlans, D̨zur, the one calling himself King of Raesija, breaks out in riotous laughter. While Tälir is engaged in a rapid, quiet conversation with those around him, N̨amodl turns to his other companion and speaks dramatically in D̨vatlan, explaining the empress's words and eliciting some quickly stifled chuckles from the "king."

N̨amodl then turns back to the empress, whom he addresses, "Sëzi, we are here to discuss peace." Striking a particularly condescending tone, as if explaining something to a child, he continues, "This is not peace, sëzi. You do understand peace, yes? When you don't try to kill each other? I know such things may be difficult for such a brave and mighty warrior." His tone changes to mock thoughtfullness, "You know, they do say Dejan conquered the world simply because he forgot how not to fight people. Maybe it just runs in the blood?"

Tälir steps forward and interrupts N̨amodl, "Enough, cousin." He takes several more steps to place himself between the empress and the "emperor" as one of the nobles he spoke to quietly exits through a door behind the D̨vatlans. "This is unbecoming, sëzi. What maddness has possessed you? If you wish to make challenges and threats, then by all means return to your army and make your preparations. You speak of the Picians in the far south, accuse us of using them for our own ends. Are we here humans, or animals such as them? You make threats at peace talks and hold yourself better than animals who know nothing but hatred, wrath and hunger? You accuse us of 'enabling' the Picians for our own advantage. Am I not here to make peace? If I desired it, nothing would be simpler than to continue our war, to allow the Picians to rampage over your lands. But I am here, now, to make peace. If you desire not peace, then leave. And if age has so diminished your virtue that you cannot hold your wrath in check when faced with that behind me then I have naught but pity." N̨amodl slumps back into his throne with a self-satisfied snort. "I will not blame you for your theatrics, given our own. But shall we now set aside such games and focus on the matter at hand?"

"There will be no duel until peace terms have been agreed upon. Should you die, I would not have nothing to show for this meeting. And unless you are willing to accept complete, unconditional surrender in the event of your death, I can only imagine you will wish to reach some more favorable agreement first. Once I am satisfied, I will release my cousin from this order. At that point, if the two of you wish to act like spoiled children or starving dogs, then you may. But we will complete our purpose in being here first."

"[Region 17] will be ceded to D̨vatla. You will renounce, now and for all times, any claim you or your heirs may have to regions north of the Straits. We will sign a treaty declaring that D̨vatla will not interfere with affairs in Estensule and the Empire will not interfere with affairs in Inyaka and Regner. Trade will not, of course, violate this treaty, but intentional disruption of trade will. Thus, we will be free to negotiate trade with those in our banned continents, but not to undertake unilateral actions to circumvent the authority of local rulers in matters of trade. In addition, should Chieftess Feather be held by the empire or its vassals, now or in the future, she will be released, to freely go where she chooses. I assume she will have a ban placed upon her, and I will not deny you or yours the right to prevent her return to territory held by the empire or its vassals. But she will be free to go into exile wherever she desires."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

From behind the empress' group comes a strange, rasping voice. "Such hubris, to brush aside my kin as mere animals hunting their prey." The vocalization was terrible, emphasis sprinkled here and there among the speech like a farmer spreading his seeds. The source of this profaning of the imperial tongue stepped out from behind the imperial delegation, revealing itself as a cloaked form with a large grayed-blue fin protruding from the top. The Pician surprisingly carried no weapons, wielding only a wooden staff from which dangled a Khirusi mask.

The journey to Avakonia for these proceedings was simple; a boat across the lake between Hosra and [region 47], a boat from [region 47] to the fallen Imperial capitol, and a brief trek to the place of meeting were all it took. He arrived shortly after the Empress' delegation, hanging to the back of the room as the attention was on the Dvaltans' bombastic introductions and the Empress' threats in turn. Only now did the cloaked Pician bother to draw attention to himself.

He was quick to resume his talk. "Pardon my interruption good Emperors, but I feel that our cause is being heavily misrepresented among your kind. We do not seek to devour the flesh of every human on Emjata, as doomsayers would have you believe. Mlagarblargle, our previous Speaker, was motivated by such pursuits. However, he is dead. The mountain harboring the Azen saw to that. We only seek revenge on those who have wronged our Realm and in doing so thought they could get away with it."

Turning to directly address the Empress, he continued. "Does Hosra ring a bell for you, Empress?" The Pician chuckled. "If only you had just left the rebels to their affairs..."

Spoiler: Purbagle
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Dvatla
    Suvlin Cuahuey was standing just behind the Empress, slightly miffed that he'd been forced to leave his symbol of office (a bladed canoe paddle) at the entrance to the hall. He was fundamentally unsure of his position in this situation, but had decided that to appear better to the Gwitna, he should take up his father's agenda on the issue of the straight. The old man was certainly popular enough with the people that some of it had to rub off on him, after all.

Grand Warden Cuahuey also knew his father's position on oafs like Namodl. Ferreth had preferred to keep on terms with them until a good opportunity to put them in their place presented itself. Not that that had worked out quite the way he hoped with Ilrasu Sandor. Cuahuey decided to try a different technique instead: ignoring Namodl completely and addressing the King of Dvatla instead.
    "King Talir, what will Dvatla's policy be regarding Gwitna vessels passing through the straights?"
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-04-03 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

7. - Top - End - #7

D̨vatla

"Sëzi, we are here to discuss peace. This is not peace, sëzi. You do understand peace, yes? When you don't try to kill each other? I know such things may be difficult for such a brave and mighty warrior. You know, they do say Dejan conquered the world simply because he forgot how not to fight people. Maybe it just runs in the blood?..."

As N̨amodl spoke, the only sign of any crack in the Empress's composure was that her left hand twitched very slightly, as though desirous to run a dagger through soft tissues over and over and over again.

"...Enough, cousin. This is unbecoming, sëzi. What madness has possessed you? If you wish to make challenges and threats, then by all means return to your army and make your preparations. You speak of the Picians in the far south, accuse us of using them for our own ends. Are we here humans, or animals such as them? You make threats at peace talks and hold yourself better than animals who know nothing but hatred, wrath and hunger?..."

Flamekeeper Des' eyebrows rise at the comparison, though he does not speak. The Empress actually seems to relax somewhat, however; this back and forth she was accustomed to. Negotiations were a battlefield as much as any war, and while the fool had stumbled onto one of the only things capable of baiting her out of position, it was just as much the case that

"...You accuse us of 'enabling' the Picians for our own advantage. Am I not here to make peace? If I desired it, nothing would be simpler than to continue our war, to allow the Picians to rampage over your lands. But I am here, now, to make peace. If you desire not peace, then leave. And if age has so diminished your virtue that you cannot hold your wrath in check when faced with that behind me then I have naught but pity. I will not blame you for your theatrics, given our own. But shall we now set aside such games and focus on the matter at hand?..."

The Karysite queen shakes her head slowly as the King of D̨vatla ignores the role he played in continuing his brother's conquest, looking down, a small, grim, unhappy smile on her face. It was not a refusal of terms, simple a realization of just how inexperienced her counterpart was. Which was to be expected, all told. He had not ruled long, nor had he likely expected to be forced to.

"There will be no duel until peace terms have been agreed upon. Should you die, I would not have nothing to show for this meeting. And unless you are willing to accept complete, unconditional surrender in the event of your death, I can only imagine you will wish to reach some more favorable agreement first. Once I am satisfied, I will release my cousin from this order. At that point, if the two of you wish to act like spoiled children or starving dogs, then you may. But we will complete our purpose in being here first."

The Empress let out a small snort. It seemed the man had not fully understood her, though referring to a duel of this nature as acting like spoiled children produced an amusing image.

"[Region 17] will be ceded to D̨vatla. You will renounce, now and for all times, any claim you or your heirs may have to regions north of the Straits. We will sign a treaty declaring that D̨vatla will not interfere with affairs in Estensule and the Empire will not interfere with affairs in Inyaka and Regner. Trade will not, of course, violate this treaty, but intentional disruption of trade will. Thus, we will be free to negotiate trade with those in our banned continents, but not to undertake unilateral actions to circumvent the authority of local rulers in matters of trade. In addition, should Chieftess Feather be held by the empire or its vassals, now or in the future, she will be released, to freely go where she chooses. I assume she will have a ban placed upon her, and I will not deny you or yours the right to prevent her return to territory held by the empire or its vassals. But she will be free to go into exile wherever she desires."

At the mention of Feather, the Empress's mood darkened somewhat more, though it did not show. She still did not know where the woman was, but that meant it was agreeable. Losing [Region 17] was painful, but at this point, it seemed inevitable; she could not both retake Avakon and defend the far side of the strait. And so long as the Empire survived, and it's people lived, it could blossom again. In a dozen years, five dozen, a hundred. They were not unacceptable terms, at least. Vana took a slow breath to steady herself, though outwardly it would only appear as though she were considering his words. Which, to be fair, she was.

"Perhaps I was unclear. I indeed came here for peace, sëzi. I yet desire an end to the conflict your late brother started. What I did not come here for was to be insulted before we have so much as greeted one another. In Karys, we muzzle hounds that yap too much; from what I knew of your father, he knew much the same. But as you said. On to business. I can, of course, agree to terms before any combat. To do otherwise would be foolish, and it seems odd for you to assume such."

The Empress paused for a moment before continuing, shifting her stance to be less combative. She had taken up a warrior's stance by force of habit while Tälir spoke, but now she desired to project a different image, despite the quiet anger that stewed in her. She came to make peace with foes that had assaulted without provocation, and this...bah. She had work to attend to

"Your terms are acceptable. However, we shall remain free to retaliate against those who act against us in Inyaka and Regner, kind for kind, just as you shall against those in Estensule. Further, those whose lands you now control, as well as those of [Region 17] shall be treated without prejudice, nor forced by the sword to become acculturated. You shall not provide aid or succor to enemies of the Empire desirous to use the land we would release into your administration as a base from which to assault the Empire, and indeed deny them access to do so wherever possible. I will not see this peace deal become a knife at my daughter's throat. Finally, the Omanush will not be hassled in their passage through the Vratis Strait. Are these terms acceptable to you?"

Purbagle

The Empress's eyebrows rose, and her guard's eyes widened enormously as she reached for a weapon before remembering she didn't have one. The Empress, meanwhile, simply spoke curtly in reply, turning to face the creature as she stared at him.

"Perhaps if your kind did not act like mongrels and beasts, we would not consider you such. And if we had left the rebels your kind allowed to rise, the chaos they brought would have spread to our own lands."

The Empress took a step towards him, annoyed at this...thing's insolence, yet her hand gestures, emphasizing her words, were still calm.

"If you desired to keep those lands, perhaps you should have learned to rule properly. Not once did a representative come forth to make demands or present terms. Simply violence and death."

Another step.

"You claim that you no longer act as beasts, consuming all in your wake and spawning like worms of the sea, but in what way have you shown this? What makes your kind so different now that your leader is no longer genocidal, only wrathful? You speak of vengeance for wrongs committed, as you carve a path of carnage for the crime of putting down anarchy brought about by your own gluttonous hungers and vile deeds. Certainly you are more than beasts; not once have I seen a wild animal be so hypocritical."

The Empress scoffed, a harsh sound as her incredulity at the creature rolled off in waves.

"If it took but a single change in...leadership, such as it is for your kind, to change from the goal of death of every last human, to 'mere vengeance', then it would take but a single change for it to turn back. To claim that your kind seeks to bring death, destruction, and woe wherever they tread is not so far from the truth as to require changing."
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2018-04-03 at 01:47 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    From behind the empress' group comes a strange, rasping voice. "Such hubris, to brush aside my kin as mere animals hunting their prey." The vocalization was terrible, emphasis sprinkled here and there among the speech like a farmer spreading his seeds. The source of this profaning of the imperial tongue stepped out from behind the imperial delegation, revealing itself as a cloaked form with a large grayed-blue fin protruding from the top. The Pician surprisingly carried no weapons, wielding only a wooden staff from which dangled a Khirusi mask.

He was quick to resume his talk. "Pardon my interruption good Emperors, but I feel that our cause is being heavily misrepresented among your kind. We do not seek to devour the flesh of every human on Emjata, as doomsayers would have you believe. Mlagarblargle, our previous Speaker, was motivated by such pursuits. However, he is dead. The mountain harboring the Azen saw to that. We only seek revenge on those who have wronged our Realm and in doing so thought they could get away with it."

Turning to directly address the Empress, he continued. "Does Hosra ring a bell for you, Empress?" The Pician chuckled. "If only you had just left the rebels to their affairs..."
    Tälir gives Purbagle a respectful nod tinged with surprise, and a murmur runs through the D̨vatlan party. Somewhat ironically, N̨amodl seems to be the least shocked at the Pician's appearance, having heard his father's account of the famous corpse at the Trodjan Games. Recovering his composure, Tälir opens his mouth to address Purbagle...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    "Perhaps I was unclear. I indeed came here for peace, sëzi. I yet desire an end to the conflict your late brother started..."
    Tälir sighed, and supposed he could not blame her for the act considering he agreed to N̨amodl's farce. But he could not help but wonder who she was trying to convince. Or did she believe it? Perhaps she truly was mad, as her challenge suggested, and simply did not see the provocations in the the Empire's actions in Astrand and Perivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    "...What I did not come here for was to be insulted before we have so much as greeted one another. In Karys, we muzzle hounds that yap too much; from what I knew of your father, he knew much the same. But as you said. On to business. I can, of course, agree to terms before any combat. To do otherwise would be foolish, and it seems odd for you to assume such."

"Your terms are acceptable. However, we shall remain free to retaliate against those who act against us in Inyaka and Regner, kind for kind, just as you shall against those in Estensule. Further, those whose lands you now control, as well as those of [Region 17] shall be treated without prejudice, nor forced by the sword to become acculturated. You shall not provide aid or succor to enemies of the Empire desirous to use the land we would release into your administration as a base from which to assault the Empire, and indeed deny them access to do so wherever possible. I will not see this peace deal become a knife at my daughter's throat. Finally, the Omanush will not be hassled in their passage through the Vratis Strait. Are these terms acceptable to you?"

"Perhaps if your kind did not act like mongrels and beasts, we would not consider you such. And if we had left the rebels your kind allowed to rise, the chaos they brought would have spread to our own lands."

The Empress took a step towards him, annoyed at this...thing's insolence, yet her hand gestures, emphasizing her words, were still calm.

"If you desired to keep those lands, perhaps you should have learned to rule properly. Not once did a representative come forth to make demands or present terms. Simply violence and death."

Another step.

"You claim that you no longer act as beasts, consuming all in your wake and spawning like worms of the sea, but in what way have you shown this? What makes your kind so different now that your leader is no longer genocidal, only wrathful? You speak of vengeance for wrongs committed, as you carve a path of carnage for the crime of putting down anarchy brought about by your own gluttonous hungers and vile deeds. Certainly you are more than beasts; not once have I seen a wild animal be so hypocritical."

The Empress scoffed, a harsh sound as her incredulity at the creature rolled off in waves.

"If it took but a single change in...leadership, such as it is for your kind, to change from the goal of death of every last human, to 'mere vengeance', then it would take but a single change for it to turn back. To claim that your kind seeks to bring death, destruction, and woe wherever they tread is not so far from the truth as to require changing."

Tälir sighs again, "Empress! You have already picked one fight today, please content yourself with that." He then takes the opportunity to finally address the Pician, "My pardons, your excellency. As you concede that your previous Speaker was perhaps not entirely inaccurately described by my statements, I hope you will take no offense at them. I fear we have little reliable news from the far south, a situation which has not been improved by our present war." He continues with another respectful nod, "If you will pardon me, again, I must see to the matter of peace."

"Sëzi, you spoke to the Pician of 'chaos' and that it would spread to your lands had you done nothing. These justifications are familiar to my people. We heard them when you seized the cities of the League. And, to be sure, chaos was assuaged for a time. But it returned. And what of Perivan? Your Empire brought nothing but chaos to Perivan. You justify everything by claiming to act to preserve order, and yet you constantly bemoan our war to drive you from Inyaka. You now insist on some assurance that once [Region 17] is in our hands it will not be used as a staging ground against the empire. What assurance did we have that Astrand would not be used as such against us? What confidence could we have that the Empire would not soon turn its greedy gaze upon us? You act as though we D̨vatlans are monsters and you are blameless in all things. I will not begrudge you your propaganda, but you persist here today as well. It grows tiresome. If chaos and misrule is sufficient to justify war, than we are justified: you have brought nothing else to the north since you began your expansion beyond old Siestok. If concern over the threat of nearby neighbors holding a 'knife at [your] throat' is reasonable, then we are reasonable in having sought to drive you from our borders.

"You complain of the insults you have suffered at the hands of my cousin, and yet you seem to give no thought to the ones I have suffered at yours. Perhaps because I am not so petty as to lash out like a rabid dog in response? Tell me, how do you think you appear? What impression do you believe you have made here today? Tough and honorable? For me and mine you look as though you were an insolent child, flailing about because you did not like something that was said.

"Tell me truly. King of Hüpägh? Guardian of Gakhus and Warden of Tipëzvär? Was this planned? Were these what you intended to call me? If so, thank your gods that N̨amodl spoke first and gave you the opportunity to play the offended, yet honorable, lord. I had assumed you spoke knowing what it was you said. A few well chosen barbs to warn me that you did not appreciate my cousin's affectations and understood how to respond. An insult with a purpose, to put us back on even ground before moving on to the business of making peace. But then you challenge him? Did I, perhaps, give you too much credit? Could it be you are so foolish and ignorant as to not understand what it was you said? And yet, I am capable of not making threats in response to your provocation.

"You spoke of honor. You denounced our war as nothing more than conquest for its own sake. What purpose lay in your conquest of the League? What purpose lay in your actions in Perivan? I have no desire to be lectured on honor by an assassin."

He spits out the last word and glowers at the empress for a moment before continuing, "The right to retaliation will be respected, though we warn you not to abuse it to 'retaliate' against whose who 'acted against you'. My people will be treated as I see fit, though if you are so ill-informed and ignorant as to fear that I will subject the people of [Region 17] to bloody tyranny, you may rest easy. We will provide aid and succor to whosoever we wish, but we have no desire for further war with the empire nor desire to provoke such. And I have so little desire to hassle the Omanush that I am awestruck that you would feel it necessary to require me to not do so."

Gwitna
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Suvlin Cuahuey was standing just behind the Empress, slightly miffed that he'd been forced to leave his symbol of office (a bladed canoe paddle) at the entrance to the hall. He was fundamentally unsure of his position in this situation, but had decided that to appear better to the Gwitna, he should take up his father's agenda on the issue of the straight. The old man was certainly popular enough with the people that some of it had to rub off on him, after all.

Grand Warden Cuahuey also knew his father's position on oafs like Namodl. Ferreth had preferred to keep on terms with them until a good opportunity to put them in their place presented itself. Not that that had worked out quite the way he hoped with Ilrasu Sandor. Cuahuey decided to try a different technique instead: ignoring Namodl completely and addressing the King of Dvatla instead.
    "King Talir, what will Dvatla's policy be regarding Gwitna vessels passing through the straights?"
    "If you remain vassals to the Empire, then your safe passage is their business. If not, then pay your toll and don't give us reason to regret granting you free passage and I see no reason why we would deny it."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Jannellai sighed as the overdressed Dvatlan spoke. Certainly not a good start to negotiations, she thought to herself, and the Empress's response proved her right. She and the other diplomats remained at the side of the room as the Empress and the Dvatlans continued to argue, but eventually she began to lose her patience. The Premier walked over to Tälir and whispered, "Somehow I don't think his - " here gesturing to Namodl " - presence is doing our negotiations any favors. Does he really need to be present?"

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post

The journey to Avakonia for these proceedings was simple; a boat across the lake between Hosra and [region 47], a boat from [region 47] to the fallen Imperial capitol, and a brief trek to the place of meeting were all it took. He arrived shortly after the Empress' delegation, hanging to the back of the room as the attention was on the Dvaltans' bombastic introductions and the Empress' threats in turn. Only now did the cloaked Pician bother to draw attention to himself.

Show

Purbagle

Just when it seemed there was an opening in the conversation -

a Pician showed up.

Jannellai whispered to the group behind her, and two of the diplomats and one guard quietly left the room. Only after the door had solidly closed behind them did she turn to the Pician.

There was some very important information that needed to be gained here.

"We in the north have learned little of your intentions. Who has 'wronged your realm'? The Pician horde has made war on the Azen, and now they make war on the Empire. Does your list of foes extend beyond them?"

(Time bubble shenanigans for negotiations, assuming that Dvatlan peace goes through)
    Avakonia

When the opportunity finally arose, Jannellai turned to the Empress.

"Ti Linnad, too, is willing to make peace and enable you to defend yourself from the threats to the south. Will you hear our terms?"
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2018-04-03 at 12:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

With each step the empress took forward Purbagle felt more and more uneasy. A tingling was spreading through his body, and to observers the cloak would seem significantly less dark than before. The Pician glanced up at the crown and realized what was going on. The buffoon was loaded up with some kind of antimagic. With her final step Purbagle visibly shuddered, but swiftly regained his composure and moved to circle around the room to an area off to the side where it was less likely for him to fall to his knees and vomit his guts out.

As he walked, however, he was not silent. "If you had left the rebels to their devices Hosra would have been reined in once more in good time. With the zealot uprisings elsewhere my Speaker was preoccupied, but would certainly have triumphed in the end. You may not be aware, but my kind has a far greater tendency to succeed than you have proven to have these last few years."

"You desired a representative? Where was the emissary dispatched to inform my Speaker of your conquest of Hosra? For one so inclined to call me a hypocrite you make a rather poor case for your immunity to that label. And such hubris, to think that our desires revolve purely around you." Another chuckle. "Truth be told, the Speaker pities you. So determined to prove your righteousness and failing to do so at every turn. For what it is worth once we have established a base on the northern coast all that remains on the Speaker's agenda is a rather impractical jaunt to Regner." He shrugs, "With recent developments in mapping this course of action seems absurd to me, but it is as the Speaker wills. So you may find some comfort in the knowledge that our war is nearly at an end."

As Talir called him 'excellency,' Purbagle quickly interjected. "No need for honorifics, I am simply a diplomat here on the behalf of Speaker Wadagle."

The question brought up by the Linnadi seemed to put Purbagle in something of a joyous mood. "I have only been with the rest of my kin for a short time, as prior to the death of the Khirusi Chancellor I was simply their resident translator. However, asides from the recent theft of gold by a certain Chieftess Feather which has been continued by the Firethorn Regiment, there is one group who has invoked the unbridled hatred of every Pician that is aware of their vile acts. I made a slight comment about Regner being our ultimate destination earlier, however to be more specific our great enemy is Amham. The shamans, assured of their security by the incredible distance between their realm and my kind's, saw fit to desecrate our faith by tearing down the shrines to our God and corrupting our land with foul spirits. To commit such a heinous act so carelessly is the ultimate mark of decadence, and for that Amham shall be destroyed, its fat shamans torn apart and its foul spirits cast into the annals of history."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Avakonia

Grand Warden Cuahuey stood and thought for a moment. After Namodl's belligerence here today, he didn't quite trust the Dvatlans to charge reasonable rates for Gwitna wishing to pass through the straight. A safer decision would be to stick with the empire, especially since there was still much to be gained from their assistance. The lack of imperial control over the straight ought to give him some additional leverage with his liege, at any rate.

He respectfully approached the empress, waiting until she gave him the opportunity to speak.

"Empress, if I might have just a moment of your time, I would like to inform you of my position on this peace deal. I shall choose to keep my position as Knavegos whether you accept or refuse. Hopefully this frees you from any worry over losing our loyalty as a result of these proceedings."
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

12. - Top - End - #12

Glen Gwitna
    The Empress, not so much interrupted as headed off by the Gwitnan delegation, feels something relax as Lord Cuahey spoke. Though she would be loathe to admit it, if only because the potential for Gwitna to abandon the Empire showed just how far they had fallen, to know that they would remain was quite a weight off her back. More importantly, it gave her pause in considering her reply to D̨vatla. Oh. Oh. Well, then...

Vana Rafaela Zhekurus, Empress of Avakonia, takes a deep breath, and then lets it out. The flush in her face would be invisible to all but the keenest eyed, and easily mistaken for the heat of anger dying away, rather than embarassment.
    Your loyalty in such trying times speaks well of you, Knavegos Cuahey, and of your rulership. The Empire, as always, appreciates your support, and shall not forget your service. I am glad to say that it does indeed make agreement easier...

D̨vatla
    Explain cultural taboo on Kings of Karys, intent for titles to be respectful, and apologize; agree to peace deal. And yeah, we're a little paranoid. It happens after what we've been through lately. >.>

We apologize for our misplacement of your titles; we did not mean to offend. It is obvious that neither of us knows a great deal about the others' people; there has not been a King in Karys in over five hundred years, and to claim such is...about as great an insult as one can levy. Forgive us for our reaction to receiving such at the beginning of negotiations; it's clear that it was not, at least, intentional on your part, Lord Talir. If we are to negotiate in future after this treaty is signed, I recommend against the presence of that one.

Purbagle
    In summary: At the time, we had no reason to believe you were ought but rampaging monsters. And no, we wouldn't send our own emissaries to find out if that was true, because by all standards it looked like you would _eat them_.

Also, you could have just asked to get through. Dejan's balls, fishman.

Ti Linnad
    Sure we can have peace. Here are our side of the terms.

- stay out of imperial business
    - you can keep 16, sure
    - we get trading rights in Ti Linnad, though. Yeah, you'll get them here too, but we need some tin, for one thing
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek