New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Homebrew alchemical item: i don't know why it just came to mind.

Hey fellow giants in the playground, had a random idea for an alchemical item, just wanted to share it but responses are welcome.

Basically it's just one of those heat packets that you shake up to get warmth, it would be hard yp get (chemicals) but it means you could stay warm when a campfire would be a bad idea (such as getting hunted down in the frozen northlands)
    Don't know if there's anything like this, but i just wanted to share this idea.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew alchemical item: i don't know why it just came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by elanfanboy View Post
    Hey fellow giants in the playground, had a random idea for an alchemical item, just wanted to share it but responses are welcome.

Basically it's just one of those heat packets that you shake up to get warmth, it would be hard yp get (chemicals) but it means you could stay warm when a campfire would be a bad idea (such as getting hunted down in the frozen northlands)
    Don't know if there's anything like this, but i just wanted to share this idea.
    Constant item of endure elements you can even make earings if you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't see why it would actually be that hard to get, actually. IRL, chemical heat packs contain dehydrated sodium acetate. The reaction to make one is a matter of mixing baking soda into vinegar in very small amounts over a long period, and then boiling out the water in the vinegar.

Vinegar is a natural biproduct of wine and ale manufacture, and baking soda is an ore that you can mine. In the middle ages, this stuff is called "hot ice." Heck, it's even mentioned in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Definitely something an alchemist would be able to make.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2017-11-26 at 02:10 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Well i still think its a good idea. Geez.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

As to how much it costs, I'd prove or at 1sp/hour of heat in Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or 1gp/hour in D&D, but I could see an argument for maybe 10/hour due trip usefulness. Is quite niche in use, so from a balance view it doesn't need to cost much.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

If you look at the rral life thing it's supposed to last 24 hours, so that would be a fairly hefty price.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Good idea for Ultimate Equipment Guide, right alongside the dogsled and snowshoes for a campaign into the arctic.

Hot Ice
    These consist of two small cloth pouches of alchemical reagants, which when combined together give off heat for one hour. This grants a +2 bonus to survival in areas of anything between cold(0C) and extreme cold(-50 C). This does not produce enough heat to cook food or boil water, but it can melt ice.
    Alchemy DC 14 to create, 0.1 lb, 1 hr - 1 gp