New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Holidays in Astroya

"Blood comes first."
    -Common Astroyan Adage.

The tiny rowboat, barely large enough to fit the five of you, rolls with the waves, splashing you with icy water. The rising sun is barely visible behind dark clouds, leaving the world in twilight. A sharp wind cuts into you, penetrating your sopping clothes. The cold is unbearable. Then, the boat's hull scrapes against something. Stones. A rocky beach stretches into the horizon on either side of you, choppy grey water behind you, the dissipating fog hanging over it in twisting strands. A belt of low mountains looms over your little party, rubbed smooth by millennia of inclement weather. A few gnarled trees have dug their roots into the stone, but the mountains almost seem to have a life of their own, compensating for the sparse vegetation. Their stubby peaks reach toward the sky, caves and crevices honeycombing the mountainside. A person could retreat to those gloomy confines and reasonably expect to never be found. The only other sounds are gulls and the crashing waves.

The events of last night come back to you - the storm, the mast hurling itself into the ocean like a dying beast, the panicking crewmen, your escape on the lifeboat. Your last sight of the ship was its prow dipping beneath the raging waters. You spent the night aimlessly paddling, bailing water that seemed to come quicker than it could be removed, wishing for warm and safety. Occasionally you would see the outline of another lifeboat, shrouded in the thick fog. Whatever their final fate, it has not led them to this barren shore.

Ahead of you, a valley worms its way between the mountains, perhaps a half mile wide. Pale grass clings to the shallow earth, and a dirt path winds its way up to the valley's end, where around thirty, small stone houses are clustered together in a tight knot. No smokes rises from the chimneys, despite the frigid morning, and the village is utterly still. No one to be seen. Another, similar path leads directly into the mountains, its destination unclear, while yet one more path follows the beach east. Perhaps a minute's walk from your location, a narrow crevice delves into the mountainside, barely wide enough to allow a full-grown human passage. It seems deep. From somewhere in the mountains, to the village's west, a thin line of smoke rises. It could just be your imagination, but you think you see a tiny flicker of light. The boat shakes beneath you.

You have arrived in Astroya.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Holidays in Astroya

Yalia steps from the boat, wringing out her hair then checking her sword. She stays silent, not having said a word since she had boarded the ship. While some may have head for the village right away she didn't, as rushing was what got one killed. She eyes the group she had been stranded with distaste, making a mental inventory of them, from their physique to their arms and armor. She crosses her arms 'I've gone from an army to this rabble...' She silently thinks to herself, although she is still silent, a tall pale, brooding shadow. She moved a good distance away ((~7')) from them, giving her time to react if anyone tries anything... idiotic.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-28 at 01:39 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dhaun takes note of his fellow passengers. A soldier, A Wildman, a Minstrel, a priest and a kobold. He felt like he could trust the soldier and the kobold. He shakes off the water from himself and checks if he still has his purse. Dhaun looks around for any possible signs of human habitation. He notes the village and the light from the crevice. The village was the most likely area for there to be people. But he could almost feel the bad vibes from that place. His instincts got him this far and he wasn't going to question them now. He turns back to the group " Hello friends! My name is Tyror SkIark of house Skylark. Seeing as we are marooned here together I would suggest a temporary truce until suitable habitation/a way to leave is found. For those who accept my offer we shall be making our way to that crevice over there. And also can anyone have anything that cures splitting headaches?" Dhaun figures that if worst comes to worst he could use them as a sacrifice. For some reason he didn't feel like letting them all get killed.
    [Spoiler] So many questions. So few answers. But for now these will suffice.
    Did they leave our weapons?
    Has it been atleast 8 hours? (For spell purposes)
    Last edited by Xenopax; 2017-12-15 at 05:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

A male human Barbarian named Mauler Masher got out of the boat and makes his appearance.

"I hope this will be a very challenging adventure because I don't like easy adventures."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-11-28 at 07:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Kobold looks around, in search of an advanced civilization, seemingly worries that he might be stuck here and not be able to continue his studies, he brushes himself off and thanks Wee Jas for being a Spellhoarding kobold due to his bloodline and not having or needing a spellbook that would've been destroyed in last nights storm. He cleans himself up and wipes his runes and clothes off to clean them up real quick.

He then looks around and silently whispers to himself, "Pathetic, someone from a basically noble family like my own shouldn't be in a place like this. Seems like I will have to fix this on my own. Damn family curse getting me into problems like this."

He then remarks out loud "Well, so what can we do. As far as we know that town could be killed off by some force or could be cannibals, I would recommend setting up camp somewhere else and then sending someone to scout over there to see if there is anything, then flee. Also, we should get to know each other, we have been stuck for so long in that boat without speaking that we should get to know each others abilities in case we need to fight together." He wonders to himself whether there will be anything useful to learn in this island that could help him master the ability of his bloodline or some arcane lore at least.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia takes a step forward, ((within 5' !!!)) and everyone can feel their body's ability to fight off natural effects weaken ((-5 fort)), their mind fog ((-5 will)), and their reflexes slow ((-5 ref)). She stands there for a minute, then deciding that she's made her point steps back to where she was, and whatever was affecting everyone seems to suddenly go away. She folds her arms, having (in her opinion) answered the question of abilities.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-28 at 10:08 AM.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Dhaun says to Yalia
    "i'd like it if you would avoid doing whatever it is you just did"

He then turns to the Kobold
    Why don't we scout now? Those building look like they were built by a surface race. Now unless they are Orcs they are probably all sleeping. I volunteer to go along with one other person. As for your question of skills, I prefer to keep mine secret. Today's friend is tommorows enemy and all that.
    Last edited by Xenopax; 2017-11-28 at 10:18 AM.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Mauler seems to be distrusting the kobold and the drow. But the human not so much. He thought to himself that the drow and the kobold might be some trouble. But he's keeps his thoughts to himself.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Dhaun eyes the barbarian deciding in a second.
    You, Wildman! how about this? You like smashing things right? Up there by the village there are many people and things which you can smash. But they only let you smash if you help me!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Basically I'm trying to convince you to come with me as my meat shield while scouting
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The bard, who remained silently assessing his potential foes up to this point, begins to head off to the village on his own,
    "I'm going to see if there's anyone up there" he remarks after getting about halfway up the beach, he then proceeds to skip along whilst humming a jaunty tune.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Dhaun says to the others I am glad that someone in this motley group has the guts to go confront a group of peasents armed with nothing but sticks and stones!"

He goes off to scout along with the bard.
    Games that I am in

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'm coming with you guys. I hope there's Gnolls in this village to fight. Mauler joins the group.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-11-28 at 12:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia looks at the kobold, an eyebrow raised, waiting to see if he intends to follow, as barging in on what appears to be a stranded village seems a rather poor idea.

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Fine, it's not safe to be alone but we also don't know each other so it's also not safe to be together,
    I guess it's safer if we all go together."

Tuk-Kui joins the party

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia follows after, her face amused. Of course she moves off to the side, using any cover possible, after all, it'd be a shame to be hit with an arrow from someone they'd failed to spot.

((Hide: (1d20+8)[18]; Move Silently: (1d20+8)[17]))

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Ok. Everyone I'm going to be very straight and clear with you. I'm not hear to argue with you, I'm not here to hear your complaining. I'm not here for your whining. I'm definitely not here for your drama. If anyone has a problem with that. You can say it with my greatsword. Furthermore I'm going to lead the group. Is seems like nobody is leading anywhere. So I called the shots.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tuk-Kui steps out of his silence and says Why should you of all people be leader, you are a barbarian and likely all you do is crush things. Why not have someone from a pseudo-noble caster family lead you instead.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia steps out of the wood, I agree with the kobold on the matter of you being leader, why should you be? Her voice is... Well, take the color of a light blue almost invisible ice and turn it into a voice. It seems if anything that we're already fallowing someone else's lead anyhow.

Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Mauler responsed to Tui-Kui and Yalia. "I didn't hear you kobold or anyone else in this party called dibs of being leader. So therefore, "Finder Keepers." of me calling dibs on leader."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-11-28 at 02:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You make your way up the muddy path, into the valley. Soon, the mountains are rising alongside you, a steep slope nearly impassable on foot, offering some degree of shelter from the raging wind. The dim morning light is lessened even further here, the sun blocked by the cliffs, allowing only a few strands of pale light to illuminate the canyon. As you travel steadily uphill, the valley floor is dotted with tangled thorn bushes, thicker grass, and wiry arbutus trees. A handful of crows perch on branches or hop merrily along the path, taking to the air when your party draws near. The cold does not let up.

Before long, you have arrived at the valley's end, where the village is clustered tight against the mountainside. There is little order to its construction, the houses clearly built one at a time, over the course of decades, mostly with rough stones that look to have been salvaged from the beach, sealed together with wattle, daub, and thatch. Most have a single level, the only exception being a large two-storey building near the centre of town. It has several windows made of foggy glass, and a wooden sign hangs above the door, depicting a squirming fish. "The Lucky Catch," as the sign proclaims it. A number of other businesses are clustered nearby - a blacksmith, a weaver, an apothecary. Scattered around the village are number of small fishing boats, and racks that would normally be reserved for drying fish - but all are empty. There is no sign of life.

Right at the valley's tip, perhaps 20 metres from the village, there appears to be some sort of mineshaft carved into the cliff face. It sits open like a ravenous maw, dark and foreboding. A number of discarded planks lie around the entrance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I vote we put the "leader" through everything first." Yaliasays, with a nasty grin. "That way he can stop any "accidents" from happening."

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

having skipped near tirelessly the whole way, the minstrel began to whistle as he made his way toward the tavern, perhaps there was money left from customers of the past.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tuk responds, "Ok, leader. If you want to be our leader, then so be it, lead in front of us to be able to captain the best and show the world that you are leader."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia grins at the kobold's remark, It seems he's more then content to let the whistling fop do all the checking. Such a pity...

Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tuk-Kui then remarks "So leader, shall we go and search for anything of interest? Also I would recommend we setup camp here, we don't know how long we will be here so we should prepare for worst case scenario."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Tuk-Kui then remarks "So leader, shall we go and search for anything of interest? Also I would recommend we setup camp here, we don't know how long we will be here so we should prepare for worst case scenario."
    "Sure second in-command. We should set camp here. This place have to some interested otherwise we moved on."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-11-28 at 02:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yalia shakes her head, then heads into the village, slipping from building to building, 'You ought to cover that hole...' She shakes her head, ignoring the voice. She is taking an inventory of everything, from how sturdy each building appears to what is inside them.

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Yalia shakes her head, then heads into the village, slipping from building to building, 'You ought to cover that hole...' She shakes her head, ignoring the voice. She is taking an inventory of everything, from how sturdy each building appears to what is inside them.
    Good eye number 3. We should really cover that hole. I'm sorry but I don't think we didn't introduce each other. My name is Mauler Masher.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Good eye number 3. We should really cover that hole. I'm sorry but I don't think we didn't introduce each other. My name is Mauler Masher.
    OOC: she did not say that out loud, otherwise it'd be in green and "X" not 'X'

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well since we are on introduction time, I am Tuk from the great Sorcerer Clan Kui. Or Tuk-Kui."
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2017-11-28 at 02:45 PM.