Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Climbing the Tower of Babel (In Character Thread)

Spoiler: Welcome to the Tower of Babel
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    We begin with six dreams

Spoiler: Link to the OOC thread
    Show
    Last edited by Meijin; 2017-11-29 at 04:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing the Tower of Babel (In Character Thread)

For long days under blistering sun, Okoa pursued his enemy across the trackless savannah.

You wont escape me, he thought to himself, when his muscles refused another step, no one runs like Okoa, and no one knows this land like Okoa. And so he ran, day after day, following the tracks of the other man, the foreigner.

They had come, these enemies, to Okoa's village, to raid, to plunder, to take slaves. They had not expected determined resistance, and the bloodshed had been legendary. In the end, all Okoa had known and cherished was gone - but all the invaders also dead. Except the enemy.

And so the game began.

And now, Okoa saw him. Still miles off, but struggling. Staggering. Propably thirsty, hungry. Less prepared for this land than was Okoa.

As evening fell, they approached a lonely peak, rising in singular majesty from the plains. Smoke curled around it's summit. The enemy fled up the hill, found shelter somewhere, a cave perhaps. Okoa was satisfied with this.

He made up his mind to finish this the next morning. Settle it for good.

As he lay down and slept, he dreamt. He followed the enemy into the cave, but it was deeper than expected. Through twists and turns, he went - always, the enemy just a few steps ahead. Wispy smoke curled through the passages. Strange red lights glowed.

Then, finally, a door. Runes inscribed on it's surface. There was a ringing in Okoa's ears. He reached out - his hand pushed against the heavy door ...

((sorry for wall of text))
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-12-01 at 03:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jexerie sat cross-legged in his home, a meditative position. He slept, though his mind was even more active than when he is awake.

Within his dream, he steps left, right, forward, backward, in, out, and a few directions that defy description. He steps through a three dimensional temporal model, moving in a complicated dance.

An outside observer would find themselves struggling to comprehend the colorless world Jex moved swiftly through. Not only is it significantly more complicated than most worlds the observer may have visited. In addition, the dream is somewhat... volatile.

Distances fluctuate, stretching and compressing, never staying the same for long. Yet, Jex stepped through the dream in practiced strides, using these changes to bring himself closer to his destination.

His destination. He did not know where he was headed. He was aware of that. Even so, he trusts his subconscious. Wherever it took him, it was sure to be interesting.

Ahead of him, fourteen directions pulled together, shaping into a seven dimensional door. Jex stepped up to it, the world becoming more solid the closer he approached. The door was formed of pure light, it appeared. An interesting portal, with something on the other side.

Jex knew there was something on the other side of that door. He knew it was important. He knew he must find out exactly what.

He stretched forth his hand, getting closer to it in seven different ways, not counting the three temporal. He grasped the handle, and drew the door open, stepping through.
    Spoiler: Character
    Show
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2017-12-01 at 09:33 AM.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

As Lyle walked over the seemingly endless hills he saw the town his father described.
    A small town with squat houses built on stilts to withstand the boggy ground near the swamps.
    As he drew near the fragrance of Belfweed, the incense beings use to keep the swamp stench at bay, Maybe there will be some he thought. While he walked down a narrow alley he encountered an inn with a sign stating it was the The Shaky Goat, he thought this might be a better place to rest then outside in the forest as he had the last three days.
    He walked in and saw that it was mostly empty except a few humans drinking something that smelled of fermented rats ugh why do humans drink disgusting things? he pondered on that impossible dilemma. He climbed the steep stairs to his room for the night and fell asleep on the bed.

He dreamt of beings which melted and fires which floated, bells buzzing and mosquitoes ringing and then a circle of black appeared in the midst of all and the dream became silent but his curiosity of what lay beyond grew, he stepped closer...

Show
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-11-30 at 11:12 AM.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Thumbs up Re: Climbing the Tower of Babel (In Character Thread)

His reflections painted the hall. Every mirror was alive with him- running, sweating, delirious copies, each unique, each true. Some of them stood still. Some of them had different eyes.

That was fine. Even asleep, Erasmus was a very gracious host.

End of the hall. No door- that would mean someone was asking him to leave, or that he didn't want to stay. Just another mirror with another Erasmus (holding a book bound in well-groomed fur and titled in nonsense characters and held in a hand that was faithfully his) who beckoned to him. He pulled the two of them from the mirror and only one of them arrived and the other reflections were shying away now because they were great believers in monogamy but that was fine. He sat down in a wicker chair, and read.

It wasn't in any language he knew, so they lent him the appropriate tongue for a while. The taste of it was still heavy in his mouth when he closed the book.

He met the mirror's gaze. They wore a sorrowful expression. He pretended it wasn't his own.

"She deserves better, you know."

"You're right. You're always right. Can we leave a note?"

The two of them look down. They're holding an envelope, immaculately sealed, peppered with the appropriate tear stains.

"Thank you. Are you coming with me?"

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2017-12-01 at 10:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

As he camped in the Turkish hills covered by naught but a sheepskin fleece on the barren earth his mind and his magic still ran across the plains. While the experience of coming to while his body still slept was a relitivly new one. Yet he could not deny the strange compulsion to soar through the night.

Bounding from hilltop to hilltop in single steps he spun through the world below, dodging the spirits in the wind. His feet seemed to sink, the ground soft like molasses. Eventually he came to great door at the bottom of a valley, an arch of white stone lay there to greet him. As he wandered towards the door the air turned to light, twinkling more than any diamond he had seen. He stepped through the doorway to a world of liquid ruby and waited to see what lay beyond.

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2017-12-01 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Nothing ever happened at Wawel cave. It doesn't matter that the dragon has been dead for decades, none of the locals will come near its lair. Abramowitz, forced to carry out penance for his grandfather's misdeeds sits outside of the cave, as usual propped against a rock waiting for nothing so much as another of his disgraced relatives to relieve him. Trained as a warrior, this monotony wears on the man. He just barely closes his eyes and the dream comes again.

Now, even in his dreams he cannot escape this cave. Knowing he is asleep, but no longer caring, Abramowitz walks through the entry. Despite being unable to see in the dark, he can see just fine. In fact, it is brighter further in the cave. The light is coming from someplace further in. He passes the shrine, and continues deeper, further in than is possible.

Turning around, Abramowitz can no longer see the way out.

Show
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

You awaken, surrounded by darkness and iron.

A push swings open the doors of your alcove, and you emerge into an equilateral nine-sided chamber, blinking and disoriented, along with your five companions.

The wooden room has no curved lines. Fifteen feet up, the ceiling is made from the same rich, dark brown timbers as the walls and the floor. Horizontal diameter looks to be about 30 feet.

Each of you has emerged from a 6x3x3 niche or sarcophagus built into one wall, lined on all sides with iron. The doors of the boxes swing outward, and are covered on the outside with wood. If you close an alcove door behind you, the wood fits together almost seamlessly with the rest of the wall. Each wall with an alcove is adjacent to exactly one other alcove wall and one wall without an alcove. In other words, you emerge in sets of two, each pair separated from each other pair by one of the three walls lacking sarcophagi. The walls with niches are otherwise bare and wooden, except for Abramowitz's, which is covered in depressed shelves packed full of books.

The wall between Okoa and Abramowitz has a 6 foot high iron door, rounded at the top, with a large padlock on a chain fastening it shut.

The wall between Accalon and Erasmus is not wood like the rest, but looks like one big mosaic of stained glass. The glass is mostly light blue, with some dark blue and green, and a faint warm light washes in through the glass.

The wall between Lyle and Jexerie features a 6 foot high mirror, rounded at the top, the same shape as the iron door, built into the wall.

In the center of the room sits a plain low wooden table, only a few feet off the ground. It bears an orange globe that dimly but warmly illuminates the room, an hourglass with most of the sand in the top bulb, an iron key, and a glass vial of ruby liquid stopped with a cork.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

... what in the hells?! Thinks Okoa to himself, am I still dreamning?

With slow and deliberate calm, he slides an impressively sized sword from his back, holding it ready but not raised to strike - signalling, perhaps, the intent to defend but not attack. Yet.

Why are you people in my dream?

10. - Top - End - #10

This is all a dream, or is it? he thought to himself. Who were these people? What were these objects for? The key had a purpose he knew but the hourglass? The vial?

Um hello? I could ask the same thing.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-12-01 at 10:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Your dream, my oversized acquaintance? You have interrupted my abstract dream, pulling me from a nonreality far more interesting than this one.

Anyway, I am not certain we are still dreaming. I decided you to dissolve into smoke, yet you still pester me."

Jexerie stands at a medium height. His hair is straight, even and blonde. His eyes are a light blue, and examine each of you in turn. His clothing is a simple white outfit - plain breeches, a long simple shirt, and simple cloth shoes.

Let's see... a rude and large man - clearly a warrior of some sort. Likely a savage.

The second tallest? He seems to have only a dagger. No armor, just some flamboyant and dark clothing. A spellcaster, presumably. Arcane.

Next in descending height is the blue-eyed one. Very healthy looking. Fit. Well balanced physique. More weapons than any of the others. Significant presence.
    He fights, for certain. Beyond that, uncertain.

The next human is about my height. Lightly armored,
    bearing a crossbow. Kind of weak. More of a presence than the blue-eyes. Looks agile. A stealthy one, perhaps?

Lastly, a... halfling? The only nonhuman. Strange. Dextrous. Almost certainly very stealthy. Likely a thief.
    Well-equipped. Prepared.

Jexerie steps in front of the mirror and examines it.

"Does anybody have some writing with them? I wish to ascertain whether or not this is a true dream. If it is, the writing should be impossible to read. Otherwise, we are either fully awake, or in some sort of artificial dream."
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

I only have some chalk for marking stuff, I could write something though.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-12-01 at 10:55 AM.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

"No good. If you write it it will be added to the dream. We need something already written.
    A spellbook would work, if anyone has one."
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

furious Re: Climbing the Tower of Babel (In Character Thread)

There is a dove on Erasmus’ shoulder. It probably wasn’t there a second ago; it looks quite comfortable. Like he would look wrong without it.

You seem convinced. If it matters that much to you, here.

He pulls the fur-bound book his pack, and opens it. It’s clearly gibberish.

Then again, that book was nonsense even before we came to this place.

He pockets it. Squints inquisitively at the young man with the uppish words.

Do you understand what I’m getting at?
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2017-12-01 at 01:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

No, but we can start with our names. Mine's Lyle.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-12-01 at 01:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

He looks faintly embarrassed.

Erasmus. Sorry. Bad habit.

17. - Top - End - #17

"My nomenclature is Jexerie. Now, are you trying to say that whether or not this is a dream is presently irrelevant? That we should focus on the situation at hand?"

He walks to the table in the center and bends over, examining the objects.

"'twould appear that we are limited on time. Something may happen when this hourglass runs down, and I suspect we shall not wish to be around to find out.

The key is almost certainly for that door, but I do not know what the ruby vial is. If anybody can identify it, that would prove most informative."

He straightens and walks back to the mirror.

"I'm curious though. Why is this mirror shaped the same as the door? If it were for symmetry, the stained glass would share the shape,
    which, it seems, it does not."

Jexerie reaches out with his right hand, resting it on the glass of the mirror. He pushes on it, slowly and firmly.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2017-12-01 at 02:04 PM.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I seek my enemy, the pale man - Rimbo, his fellows called him. To spill his blood is all I desire. My name is Okoa, son of a chieftain,
    dancer, poet ... and blessed by the gods of war.

If the mirror intrigues you so, I suggest trying to unlock the mirror door with the mirror key.

Okoa strides to the window - to get a closer look at it, and to see if it opens. Surely the plains are just beyond.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Just for clarity, the pale man is the Belgian colonial Rimbaud. Not some misspelled Rambo :p

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

The tall man in dark robes doubles over, into a vicious coughing fit. Then turned his eyes on the others, he stayed silent for a few moments as the others talked slowly assuming a smile.

Hello, I am Accalon. Pleased to meet you all, now I do not believe this could quite be a dream. But perhaps it is not wakefulness either? We must see.

With that Accalon pauses for a moment peering at the object with immense concentration.

Damn it to Hades, it is still not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

20. - Top - End - #20

What is? Do you people want me to do anything?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Please forgive abysmal shorthand
    Show

Jexerie's hand meets its counterpart. With a push, the mirror swings backward on a hinge. Behind, a wooden corridor opens up, roughly five feet wide, heading straight off into the darkness. Above the corridor, the ceiling comes to a 45 degree angle, lending the look of a gothic vault, or a geometrical drawing. Five feet into the corridor, the floor is painted with a large image of a snake coiled around a golden crown.

22. - Top - End - #22

Lyle takes the key and searches the lock for traps
    Show
    Can I take a 20?

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-12-01 at 04:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lyle carefully approaches the heavy iron door and begins examining the lock, using every trick he knows. Carefully and without jostling it, he sets about peering at the lock from every angle, squinting at it, gingerly prodding it, blowing into the mechanism and listening for a rattle, and more.

All the while, the sands in the hourglass rush down, down, down.

Lyle continues his search.

24. - Top - End - #24

Show
    How much sand is remaining?
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2017-12-01 at 04:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Jexerie pulls a torch with a heatless white flame from a pouch on his simple belt. He steps into the mirror corridor, then looks over his shoulder.

"The sands are flowing. If you wish to examine the main door, do so, but I would appreciate it if somebody would accompany me into the corridor."

He makes eye contact with Accalon and Abromowitz as he speaks, then turns forward and makes his way into the corridor.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Hourglass
    Show
    It looks like more than 75% remains

Spoiler: For Your Eyes Only, Jex (or anyone who follows)
    Show
    The light from your ever-burning torch flickers off into the darkness as you head into the corridor. In your peripheral vision, the walls feel narrower than they are. The hair on the back of your neck stands up as you step past the image of the serpent. As you head deeper into the darkness, your world is reduced to an unchanging wooden corridor around you,
    and a slowly receding patch of light coming from the room with the rest of your companions. It looks like a long walk.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

How about letting your 'oversized acquaintance' take point? Light the path, and I'll keep you safe.

Okoa, big sword still held at the ready, proceeds to follow Jex, front or rear as the other prefers.

28. - Top - End - #28

Jex gladly allows the large one to take the assault position, and continues down the extensive corridor.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Abramowitz is more than a little pole-axed at this turn of events. He is wordless as the others introduce themselves, but slowly he comes to his senses. "I am called Abramowitz. This is not what I was expecting, but I see no harm in following you through the mirror." The words tumbling out of his mouth seem absurd, but that is how dreams seem sometime.

He hefts his spear and enters the corridor.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Close enough.

The dove flies towards the corridor, taking up residence on whoever looks the least perturbed.

Erasmus moves to inspect the liquid. He uncorks it if it doesn’t seem particularly lethal.

Show
    if arcana is applicable

(1d20+5)[23]
    I’ll inspect the globe and the hourglass, too, but they seem less individually important.