New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Eberron, Loving the Bomb: Mystic Paths

You awaken, the vision fresh in your mind. Being able to control the fabric of reality with your very thoughts is awe-inspiring, but that awareness can also be inviting to certain outsiders...

There's a rumor that's known to all on Sarlona, dismissed mostly as the play of children. It's the story of an upstanding man, who one day awoke to find he had murdered his whole family. He told the local constabulary that he was innocent, that he was forced to do it by invaders of his dreams that controlled him like a puppet. Of course, he was locked up as a madman. Who would believe that story? No one past the age of childhood.

Yet, as you wipe the sweat off your forehead, you can't help but feel that you felt a presence in your head as you were dreaming, something invading, something... dark. It felt like it was rummaging through your head, sniffing for secrets. As you whipped your head around in the dreamspace, you saw others, but these weren't like the intruder. Their aura glowed, a mixture of fear and anger and defiance, radiating from them in waves.

As you pushed the intruder from your mind, you tried to take in all the details. You saw landmarks of Adar, your home, and you ran in the dream to a place you could be safe. The monster followed you, an amorphous shape, a roiling thundercloud. You found the local library and shut the door. Maybe one of these books would hold the answer?

The shutters and doors began to rattle. The others in the library looked at you as you went from shelf to shelf throwing books on the floor. Where was it? You would know it if you could just get your hands on it. Frustrated, you use your powers and the entire stack drops on to the floor. This draws attention from the room, and you see a large man stalk towards you, when suddenly a thin black halo wraps around his head. His eyes go black. You look around and see others, eyes black, headed towards you. You make your way to the center of the library, and find yourself back to back with a few others who were unaffected.

You ball your fists up. There is nowhere to escape. It is time to fight. As you move your feet into the proper stance, you see the spine of a book below you, whose title reads Ruins of the Ancients. That's it! You say to yourself. But there's no time, as the crowd presses in on you...

You get yourself a drink of cold water. That's the realest dream you've had in a long while. But it couldn't be real... could it?

Spoiler: Things That Are Known
    Show
    For collecting answers/hints/tips/etc

Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2017-12-19 at 01:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Eberron, Loving the Bomb: Mystic Paths

Kal'Norden sat up from his bed quickly, a hiss of shock escaping his lips.
    Kalashtar don't dream. It was one of the first things he learned about most of the other races. Their minds drift off to that other worldly dreamscape. The silent, blind peace of sleep was the normal to Kal'.
    So he knew, above all else...this was not a dream. It was a missive, a prophetic communication, or some bizarre vision that some mystics speak of from time to time.
    Kal' looked over to O'Shanna, deep in a meditative trance lying next to him. He envied the elven races, not even the pretense of sleep, true freedom from that void.
    He decided not to disturb her. She had another hour before she would normal revive from the trance, he'll talk to her about black eyes and Ruins of the Ancients then.
    Sarlona? There's a ponderous idea. Kal' felt the itch of combat from the dream struggle to leave his fingers, but he pushed the desire to call forth his soulblade similar... Tomorrow, when he performs his daily exercises, then he'll let it loose. Control, always control.
    He reached over to the pad and quill by the bed and jotted down a few verses to that blasted song he struggled with.
    “You know, sometimes I swear the whole universe runs on irony.”
    ― Simon R. Green, The Man With the Golden Torc

“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
    ― Rex Stout, The Doorbell Rang

“The subtlest lie of all is the full truth.”
    ― Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

“No.. No. I don’t want to go back. I DON’T WANT TO GO BACK!” Thirteen starts, cold sweat forming on his forehead. “I... apologize. I was having a bad vision. There was a... thing. It chased me to a library, and it possessed the others there. I saw a book, titled “The Ruins of the Ancients”. Then it tried to take me, but I awoke. Take me back to the laboratory.” Thirteen shudders at the thought of it. He then wanders out of the room to get some water.

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

DM: So, what do you your characters do now? Do you go about your day normally? If so, what does that entail? :)
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2017-12-11 at 01:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thirteen goes and eats his favorite breakfast: bread with cheese and eggs. He then begins his morning meditations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LnGrrrR View Post
    You awaken, the vision fresh in your mind. Being able to control the fabric of reality with your very thoughts is awe-inspiring, but that awareness can also be inviting to certain outsiders...

You get yourself a drink of cold water. That's the realest dream you've had in a long while. But it couldn't be real... could it?
    I wake with a start. Quickly scanning the minds in my immediate vicinity, I relax with the knowledge that my technique for waking myself out of a terrible dream itself remained a part of the dream. Sure, just clenching one's eyes shut and screaming "I AM AWAKE!" at the top of your lungs doesn't seem like a proven method, but it always worked by the third try; the only issue is that even if my real body wasn't also screaming (which it did only once, thankfully), the fact that my abilities often meant my dreams mingled with those around me means I could very well have still startled them. Fortunately, that was not the case this time, as usual. Still, after too many times robbing my family of a good-night's sleep, I needed to double check. Doubly fortunate, was that it was sunrise anyway, so no need to try to go back to sleep. I prepared for the day, like I have been since I started adventuring. I pack up all of my possessions that I strewn all over the floor as a makeshift bed. Sure, I could have used the one I was sleeping under, but I never found anything some else had prepared to be of sufficient comfort for my to fall asleep, and the unconventional position meant both that I needn't waste time finding a hiding spot and that I was self-contained enough that a precursory glance would convince others that the room was unoccupied. After I was completely ready to leave (regardless of whether I would), including changing into a fresh set of clothes and applying an alchemical concoction designed as a quick-fix when fully bathing wasn't an option, I crawled out from under the bed and shifted into my elf-human appearance I used with my family and the new adventuring party I've seemed to been entangled with now: male, short brown hair, brown eyes, Caucasian skin, a tad too lean-looking to convince by looks alone that I traveled for a living. I thought about trying the dragonborn form, I have been work on, but I still didn't feel like it was complete quite yet; still needed a few more samples to pull from.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    Thirteen goes and eats his favorite breakfast: bread with cheese and eggs. He then begins his morning meditations.
    I still had some of my own food for now, so I didn't need to risk eating something I didn't personally cook; I just sat down at the table with Th'een and tried to start some small talk. <So; did you sleep better than me last night?> I send the message telepathically, not remembering if they were comfortable with that or not.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Glitch View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wake with a start. Quickly scanning the minds in my immediate vicinity, I relax with the knowledge that my technique for waking myself out of a terrible dream itself remained a part of the dream. Sure, just clenching one's eyes shut and screaming "I AM AWAKE!" at the top of your lungs doesn't seem like a proven method, but it always worked by the third try; the only issue is that even if my real body wasn't also screaming (which it did only once, thankfully), the fact that my abilities often meant my dreams mingled with those around me means I could very well have still startled them. Fortunately, that was not the case this time, as usual. Still, after too many times robbing my family of a good-night's sleep, I needed to double check. Doubly fortunate, was that it was sunrise anyway, so no need to try to go back to sleep. I prepared for the day, like I have been since I started adventuring. I pack up all of my possessions that I strewn all over the floor as a makeshift bed. Sure, I could have used the one I was sleeping under, but I never found anything some else had prepared to be of sufficient comfort for my to fall asleep, and the unconventional position meant both that I needn't waste time finding a hiding spot and that I was self-contained enough that a precursory glance would convince others that the room was unoccupied. After I was completely ready to leave (regardless of whether I would), including changing into a fresh set of clothes and applying an alchemical concoction designed as a quick-fix when fully bathing wasn't an option, I crawled out from under the bed and shifted into my elf-human appearance I used with my family and the new adventuring party I've seemed to been entangled with now: male, short brown hair, brown eyes, Caucasian skin, a tad too lean-looking to convince by looks alone that I traveled for a living. I thought about trying the dragonborn form, I have been work on, but I still didn't feel like it was complete quite yet; still needed a few more samples to pull from.I still had some of my own food for now, so I didn't need to risk eating something I didn't personally cook; I just sat down at the table with Th'een and tried to start some small talk.
    <So; did you sleep better than me last night?> I send the message telepathically, not remembering if they were comfortable with that or not.
    <No... no I did not. I had this dream... I was in a library, and a monster was trying to take me back to the laboratory. The only thing I remember clearly is seeing a book called “Ruins of the Ancients”.>

8. - Top - End - #8

Kal'Norden sees o'shanna off to work before getting started in his day.
    She didn't know anything about the imagery of black eyed people, and didn't recognize the book, but she said she'd look it up in her catalog when she gets to the university library.
    Kal sighs at the knowledge that his elf is such an eager scholar.
    Kal Sits on the balcony overlooking the Adar landscape. He pours a glass of tea for himself and sits it on the balcony table alongside the plate of bread, cheese, sausages, and fruits. He slowly picks at it as he ponders his dream one more. After finishing the plate, he picks up his guitar and tunes it.
    "Let's give this damnedable song a try. If it works, I thinks it will offer it to mother's restraunt staff."
    Kal grins as he plucks the pick from the table and begins.
    "Caught up in your wheelin' dealin'
    You've got no time left for simple feelin'
    I thought I knew you but I didn't know you at all
    Trapped inside your world of worry
    You miss so much when you always hurry
    Well slow down baby
    You'll only get hurt if you fall
    Well you told me one time that you'd be somebody
    That you weren't workin' just to survive
    But you're workin' so hard
    That you don't even know you're alive
    Workin' so hard to be somebody special
    Not working just to survive
    Well you're special to me babe
    But what I don't see babe
    Is where you go once you arrive?
    Where we go once we arrive
    Damn all evil that takes possession
    Until your pipe dreams become obsessions
    They scare me baby
    And we should have nothing to fear
    I'm no child
    But I can't help wonder
    It seems like some kind of spell you're under
    You're listenin' baby
    But somehow you don't really hear
    Well you told me one time that you'd be somebody
    That you weren't workin' just to survive
    But you're workin' so hard
    That you don't even know you're alive
    Workin' so hard to be somebody special
    Not working just to survive
    Well you're special to me babe
    But what I don't see babe is
    Where you go once you arrive
    Where we go once we arrive"
    “You know, sometimes I swear the whole universe runs on irony.”
    ― Simon R. Green, The Man With the Golden Torc

“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
    ― Rex Stout, The Doorbell Rang

“The subtlest lie of all is the full truth.”
    ― Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    <No... no I did not. I had this dream... I was in a library, and a monster was trying to take me back to the laboratory. The only thing I remember clearly is seeing a book called “Ruins of the Ancients”.>
    <Heh; that explains mine; what I don't understand is why your's seems to be the only one that influenced my personal dreamscape last night. Usually it's an amalgam of everyone around me.>

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

DM: Do you guys want to do anything about the dream, or should I fast forward to the next night's dream? Or I could just start things off more directly... :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DM: Do you guys want to do anything about the dream, or should I fast forward to the next night's dream? Or I could just start things off more directly... :)
    OoC: Next night, I guess. There’s not really a conflict, so the story feels a little stale. We need some action to get things moving. What are we all doing in 1 house anyways?

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

DM: Who said you were in one house? You just all had the same dream, and saw each other in the dream. But if you have no desire to investigate the weird dream, we can move to the next one.

You all shake off the strange dream, and go about your day as normal. As you drift into sleep the next night, you begin to wonder if it was even that bad of a dream. Maybe you just remembered it incorrectly. Whatever it was, it's gone now.

As you sleep though, you can feel it return. Something inside your mind, a presence. You look around and see yourself in a strange landscape, full of swirling mists and hazy shapes. It feels like your feet are stuck in mud, and moving is a chore. The air is heavy and each breath feels like it's forming a pool in the bottom of your lungs.

Suddenly, you hear a chittering noise echo through the fog that might frighten a civilian into paralysis. Whether it was behind you or in front of you, you can't tell. This landscape is affecting your senses, and you don't know how much you can trust them.

You think you can see a domed building in the distance that might be reachable with some amount of effort. Just as you notice that, the fog grows heavier, and... maybe darker? The chittering howls grow louder.

DM: Ok, what actions are you taking, if any? Let me know if you want to roll anything as well. For the purposes of this dream, you can be wearing your usual clothing, and have any usual gear.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Get... away... from... ME!
    I will use my standard action to dash, and then run 60 ft. towards the domed building, using Wind Step and 2 psi points to fly an additional 40 ft, to a total of 100 ft closer.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

(OOC: Hm. This campaign may end up being a solo one if the others don't post. :)

You rush towards the building, avoiding the muddy ground in the best way you know how, by avoiding it completely. Cool mist envelops your face and obscures your vision. As you get closer, you see the building is some sort of fantastical giant domed structure, gilded with gold and intricate statues of angels, demons, and other beings. A wide double door with ornate carving stands before you, slightly ajar. Behind you, the sounds of the screeching monsters echo, but it's near impossible to determine how close or far away they are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Hm. This campaign may end up being a solo one if the others don't post. :)

You rush towards the building, avoiding the muddy ground in the best way you know how, by avoiding it completely. Cool mist envelops your face and obscures your vision. As you get closer, you see the building is some sort of fantastical giant domed structure, gilded with gold and intricate statues of angels, demons, and other beings. A wide double door with ornate carving stands before you, slightly ajar. Behind you, the sounds of the screeching monsters echo, but it's near impossible to determine how close or far away they are.
    (panting) What is... this place... I fling open the doors and run inside, making sure to shut (and lock, if there is one) the door behind me.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2018-01-10 at 08:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

As you press against the door, it begins to shut, but it feels like it would do so whether you were pushing or not. As the doors close, it feels as if they stick together in place. Not locked, but with a gravity to them, as if they were magnetized towards each other, pulling.

You look around, and you see you are in some sort of library, or perhaps the residence of a wealthy citizen. Bookcases abound and overflow, their spines creating a rainbow. Oil paintings of landscapes and people cover the walls, and the ground is covered in a lush carpet. If you try to look closely at anything though, your eyes find it hard to focus. In fact, the more you try, the blurrier it seems to get. Strangely, the images on your periphery are as clear as normal.

The light on this floor is weak, but you see a ladder to your one side leading to a trapdoor, and a spiral staircase on the other side. Floating shadows drift in and out from a weak light projected above. You can hear mutterings above you, repeated like a chant. It's hard to catch more than a scrap, but occasionally you can hear the words "il-Lavashtar" carried on the wind.

DM: Remember you're dreaming, so reality may be a little... weird.
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2018-01-10 at 10:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

As you press against the door, it begins to shut, but it feels like it would do so whether you were pushing or not. As the doors close, it feels as if they stick together in place. Not locked, but with a gravity to them, as if they were magnetized towards each other, pulling.

You look around, and you see you are in some sort of library, or perhaps the residence of a wealthy citizen. Bookcases abound and overflow, their spines creating a rainbow. Oil paintings of landscapes and people cover the walls, and the ground is covered in a lush carpet. If you try to look closely at anything though, your eyes find it hard to focus. In fact, the more you try, the blurrier it seems to get. Strangely, the images on your periphery are as clear as normal.

The light on this floor is weak, but you see a ladder to your one side leading to a trapdoor, and a spiral staircase on the other side. Floating shadows drift in and out from a weak light projected above. You can hear mutterings above you, repeated like a chant. It's hard to catch more than a scrap, but occasionally you can hear the words "il-Lavashtar" carried on the wind.

DM: Remember you're dreaming, so reality may be a little... weird.
    What is this place? And what are those voices? I climb up the staircase to find the light and the voices. Can I make a check to determine what is being said? (History?)

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

DM: Sure, feel free to make a check. It won't be too onerous.

As you climb the staircase, it feels like it takes much longer than it should. You look down, and what was a simple spiral staircase has telescope below. Have you really climbed three flights of stairs already?

One way or another, you finally round the set of stairs. There, you see three figures huddled around a table. They are wearing dark robes, though it's hard to tell exactly what color as they are half-silhouetted by the candlelight. The candles are on a table, which also has a book open on it. There are various other odds and ends on the table, possibly materials for a spell.

The figures haven't noticed you yet. They are too busy chanting, rich, dark words that roll off their tongues in a melodious, ominous tone. If you relaxed your guard even a moment, you feel like the words would wash over you and lull you to sleep.

Their hands now raise up to the ceiling, and you can make out some sort of image painted on the ceiling of the dome, an image of horror, people being torn apart with their entrails devoured, and in the middle of it... something... dark... monstrous.

The angles of the room seemingly don't align right. The perspective is all off, and it gives you mild vertigo to look too long.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DM: Sure, feel free to make a check. It won't be too onerous.

As you climb the staircase, it feels like it takes much longer than it should. You look down, and what was a simple spiral staircase has telescope below. Have you really climbed three flights of stairs already?

One way or another, you finally round the set of stairs. There, you see three figures huddled around a table. They are wearing dark robes, though it's hard to tell exactly what color as they are half-silhouetted by the candlelight. The candles are on a table, which also has a book open on it. There are various other odds and ends on the table, possibly materials for a spell.

The figures haven't noticed you yet. They are too busy chanting, rich, dark words that roll off their tongues in a melodious, ominous tone. If you relaxed your guard even a moment, you feel like the words would wash over you and lull you to sleep.

Their hands now raise up to the ceiling, and you can make out some sort of image painted on the ceiling of the dome, an image of horror, people being torn apart with their entrails devoured, and in the middle of it... something... dark... monstrous.

The angles of the room seemingly don't align right. The perspective is all off, and it gives you mild vertigo to look too long.
    Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Just an INT check? (1d20+3)[4]
    Really? A 1?

You... it’s YOUR fault! Thirteen screams as he unleashes a powerful blast of psionic energy.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+3)[21], but I get a surprise round, right?

If two or more of them are in a line, I will use Wind Stream, dealing (2d8)[12] bludgeoning damage and knocking the affected cultist people prone on a failed DC 13 STR saving throw. On a success, half damage and no prone.

If I could only hit one with Wind Stream, I will Mind Thrust a “leader” if one is apparent; if not, I’ll aim it at the closest cultist. The cultist must make a DC 13 INT save or take (1d10+2)[12] psychic damage.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2018-01-10 at 10:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

DM: The three are roughly equidistant around the table. Do you want to line up a shot for the Wind? You could roll Stealth to not be heard? Otherwise I can assume you mind thrust the closest one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DM: The three are roughly equidistant around the table. Do you want to line up a shot for the Wind? You could roll Stealth to not be heard? Otherwise I can assume you mind thrust the closest one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll move around to line up a Wind shot. Stealth: (1d20+5)[23]

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

DM: You successfully maneuver yourself into position. The three... cultists? At the table are engrossed in their chanting. You try to recall where you've seen or heard something like this before, but your memory fails you. You think maybe they're some sort of... illithid? Or maybe vampires? Definitely something creepy. Wait wait... maybe they're vampire illithids!

(1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[12]

DM: Ok, I will let you describe how the attack affects the two if you want. If you decline, I will.
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2018-01-11 at 03:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DM: You successfully maneuver yourself into position. The three... cultists? At the table are engrossed in their chanting. You try to recall where you've seen or heard something like this before, but your memory fails you. You think maybe they're some sort of... illithid? Or maybe vampires? Definitely something creepy. Wait wait... maybe they're vampire illithids!

[roll0]
    [roll1]

DM: Ok, I will let you describe how the attack affects the two if you want. If you decline, I will.
    A massive burst of air leapt from my palm amd slammed into two of the cultists, knocking them to the floor!

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

The other cultist glares at you, and his eyes gleam crimson in the barely illuminated room. He reaches his hands up and throws off his hood. A monstrous face reveals itself, sunken eyes and boils spread across a mottled, diseased face. He raises his arms and you can see that one of his hands ends in a claw, that is waving around making a gesture of some sort. A thick, guttural string of syllables emanates from his throat. "Cth'a ga ruk al lith"...

(1d20+2)[19]
    [Roll]1d20 [/roll]
    [Roll]1d20 [/roll]

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

(1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[2]

DM: Lets see how the cultists on the ground fare...

Ok, you go first! What do you want to do?
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2018-01-12 at 12:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OoC: would you mind if I discount the psi points I spent while running from the Thing? My use of psi points didn’t really do anything there.

You’re... you’re monsters too?!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

If I can have the psi points: Wind Stream again, in the same place. DC 13 STR save or (2d8)[11] bludgeoning damage (and they’re already prone.)

If not: Mind Thrust the closest damaged cultist. DC 13 INT save or (1d10+2)[11] psychic damage.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

DM: You think it didnt do anything, but it did. :) You avoided a fight with some big tentacly monster things outside.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

(1d20+2)[3]

DM: Wow, these are the most unlucky cultists ever. Feel free to pose an epic hit on him.
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2018-01-14 at 12:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

My mental blast corrodes the brain of the cultist, causing him unbearable agony. Blood starts dripping out of his various orfices, Stranger Things style.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2018-01-14 at 03:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

The cultist goes down, and the two other cultists are struggling to get to their feet. From the floor, one of them whips his hand out, and you can hear the air crackle as a gout of flame rushes towards you.

DM: Roll Dex!