New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

Quote Originally Posted by M@XIM View Post
    Building a level 10 ConPaladin. I need some advice.

• Level 10
    • Point Buy
    • Start off with 1 Uncommon Magic Item and any mundane items

I'm debating between Strength and Dex build. This will most likely be a one off or small series of one offs so the present strength is more important than future strength.
    1. How would you stat him (include relevant race and feats)?
    2. Recommendation for UC Item/Other gear?
    Gauntlets of Ogre Strength for sure as the UC item.
    Take V-Human - Res(Con) for your starting feat, Max Charisma with your 2 ASI
    If you're not planning to MC then dump Strength
    Str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wisdom 12, Cha 20
    Solid Saves - +9/+7/+12/+4/+10/+14
    Plate + Sword and Board for Defensive Build
    Can also go Glaive if you like reach or Breastplate if you like stealth.
    Grab GWM, PAM or Shield Master at level 12. Whatever suits your play style.
    Just watch out for Intellect Devourers.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-05-16 at 12:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wildarm View Post
    Gauntlets of Ogre Strength for sure as the UC item.
    Take V-Human - Res(Con) for your starting feat, Max Charisma with your 2 ASI
    If you're not planning to MC then dump Strength
    Str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wisdom 12, Cha 20
    Solid Saves - +9/+7/+12/+4/+10/+14
    Plate + Sword and Board for Defensive Build
    Can also go Glaive if you like reach or Breastplate if you like stealth.
    Grab GWM, PAM or Shield Master at level 12. Whatever suits your play style.
    Just watch out for Intellect Devourers.
    Thanks! Gauntlet of Ogre Strength opens up a lot more options and fun.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Pixie in the Playground

A question then:

If one were to be looking at a 9/9 split between Hexblade and Conquestadin where would you place the relevant break points? Unsure on a starting level as yet but I'm going on the assumption that it's 3 and that the final pair of levels don't really matter in the grand scheme of things since a) it's unlikely to ever get to 20 in the first place and b) both are decent options at the top end (IDS vs 3rd 5th Slot and extra Invocation)

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Kadalon View Post
    A question then:

If one were to be looking at a 9/9 split between Hexblade and Conquestadin where would you place the relevant break points? Unsure on a starting level as yet but I'm going on the assumption that it's 3 and that the final pair of levels don't really matter in the grand scheme of things since a) it's unlikely to ever get to 20 in the first place and b) both are decent options at the top end (IDS vs 3rd 5th Slot and extra Invocation)
    Level 11 is a pretty decent DPR boost for Paladin. Level 13 gives you find greater steed.

Don't see a huge value in so much Hexblade investment:

Hexblade 1 - Biggest Boost
    Hexblade 2 - Your ranged attack becomes solid, you get more low level spells per day and a utility invocation
    Hexblade 3 - Usually needed if you want to wield a 2H weapon with CHA or really want more cantrips/rituals or a pet
    Hexblade 5 - ASI + 2x Short rest fear spell. Counterspell spam as well. This is big.
    Hexblade 7 - Shadows of the Moil but it doesn't mesh well with fear effects. Banishment as well.
    Hexblade 9 - Hold Monster and Synaptic Static give you an AOE and control spells.
    Hexblade 11 - 3rd Short Rest Slot

Those 4th and 5th level spells all compete with what you should be doing each fight which is casting fear and locking down 2-3 opponents in a close cluster. I'd personally push for more Paladin levels. Or if you want more arcane power, dip sorcerer after Hexblade 1 or 2. Paladin 7/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer X is pretty decent if you want more magic and less marshal feel. Otherwise Paladin 7/Hexblade 5/Paladin8 is a good progression too. Miss out on your Aura range increase and 5th level Pally spells but can spam Fear all day long.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-05-17 at 11:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Pixie in the Playground

Level 11 is a pretty decent DPR boost for Paladin. Level 13 gives you find greater steed.

Don't see a huge value in so much Hexblade investment:

Hexblade 1 - Biggest Boost
    Hexblade 2 - Your ranged attack becomes solid, you get more low level spells per day and a utility invocation
    Hexblade 3 - Usually needed if you want to wield a 2H weapon with CHA or really want more cantrips/rituals or a pet
    Hexblade 5 - ASI + 2x Short rest fear spell. Counterspell spam as well. This is big.
    Hexblade 7 - Shadows of the Moil but it doesn't mesh well with fear effects. Banishment as well.
    Hexblade 9 - Hold Monster and Synaptic Static give you an AOE and control spells.
    Hexblade 11 - 3rd Short Rest Slot

Those 4th and 5th level spells all compete with what you should be doing each fight which is casting fear and locking down 2-3 opponents in a close cluster. I'd personally push for more Paladin levels. Or if you want more arcane power, dip sorcerer after Hexblade 1 or 2. Paladin 7/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer X is pretty decent if you want more magic and less marshal feel. Otherwise Paladin 7/Hexblade 5/Paladin8 is a good progression too. Miss out on your Aura range increase and 5th level Pally spells but can spam Fear all day long.
    Nicely constructed analysis :)

I agree completely re. the Hexblade 5 Breakpoint - pair of 3rd level slots to power smites/fear is a big step up. Extra ASI to bulk out CHA (if needed) or to grab War Caster/ Resilient (Con) is a nice bonus to make it to that point. Hexblade 7 isn't quite as clear cut imo given the lock 4th spells aren't the most versatile although there is the option for Eldritch Smite or the lock 4th slots powering regular divine smites. But with that said the increase from HB 7 to 9 is a lot more straightforward - extra ASI, invocation and jump to 5th level spells of which there are plenty of useful ones (Cone of Cold is so delicious) but there's then the issue of the hardcap of Conquest 11.

Looking at the later Conquest levels, the 4th level spells all need concentration so will be stepping on the toes of Fear and while Find Greater Steed is amazing there's nothing really there to set the world alight. Geas and Destructive Wave are excellent for 5th level but the best of the lot, holy weapon, will be fighting for concentration with the fear. I dunno it's a hard one to call.

Obviously if there's a character/story development angle that should take precedence over optimisation imo but there's just so much synergy between the 2 it isn't a straightforward job having clearly delineated boundaries with each build

6. - Top - End - #396
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hi,

I just started playing a Silver Dragonborn lvl 7 Conquest Paladin and I had a few questions about progression.

Stat array:
    15 10 16 8 12 18

Before I ask my question I need to mention that my party are on top of a twin peaked mountain and about to go into a Dwarven vault.

So, I have been playing for a few sessions and I’m thinking of multiclassing into Hexblade, although I did choose some not so optimal class feature (ie. GWF and chose a +1 Moontouched Glaive). I told my DM that I was think of dipping into Hex, so he has told me that I will find “a weapon” in the vault that will allow me to do so. However he has stipulated that as soon as I start multiclassing into Hex I can’t stop and re-dip in again (ie. I have to take all the levels I want from Hex in a row). This shouldn’t be a problem though as I’m thinking I don’t plan on taking my first level of Hex until lvl 9 and then taking at least 4 lvls as to round out ASI progression.

All of that being said, I was wondering if, at Pal8, should I max out CHA? Or take a feat, such as Warcaster, Res (CON), or Dragon Fear (to tide me over until I can cast Fear) and max out CHA at Pal8/Hex4??

Also, I plan on using 2H/versatile weapons (so I’m able to use GWF) which means I’m stuck with an AC of 17 (Splint Armor), so I will possibly be needing a lot of use of the Shield spell. Which makes Warcaster all that more tempting to take at Pal8.

What do you guys think??

Thanks for your advice in advance.

7. - Top - End - #397

Quote Originally Posted by SirComeStance View Post
    Hi,

I just started playing a Silver Dragonborn lvl 7 Conquest Paladin and I had a few questions about progression.

Stat array:
    15 10 16 8 12 18

Before I ask my question I need to mention that my party are on top of a twin peaked mountain and about to go into a Dwarven vault.

So, I have been playing for a few sessions and I’m thinking of multiclassing into Hexblade, although I did choose some not so optimal class feature (ie. GWF and chose a +1 Moontouched Glaive). I told my DM that I was think of dipping into Hex, so he has told me that I will find “a weapon” in the vault that will allow me to do so. However he has stipulated that as soon as I start multiclassing into Hex I can’t stop and re-dip in again (ie. I have to take all the levels I want from Hex in a row). This shouldn’t be a problem though as I’m thinking I don’t plan on taking my first level of Hex until lvl 9 and then taking at least 4 lvls as to round out ASI progression.

All of that being said, I was wondering if, at Pal8, should I max out CHA? Or take a feat, such as Warcaster, Res (CON), or Dragon Fear (to tide me over until I can cast Fear) and max out CHA at Pal8/Hex4??

Also, I plan on using 2H/versatile weapons (so I’m able to use GWF) which means I’m stuck with an AC of 17 (Splint Armor), so I will possibly be needing a lot of use of the Shield spell. Which makes Warcaster all that more tempting to take at Pal8.

What do you guys think??

Thanks for your advice in advance.
    You pretty much need Hexblade3 to use charisma with two handed weapons. Personally, I’d keep going with paladin at this point since you’ve comitted to GWF. Otherwise you'll find yourself slogging to reach level 10 where you can use your glaive and fighting style again or suffering from a low attack stat.

Straight conquest paladin is very solid. Take maybe a half feat(heavy armor master?) to get strength to 16 at level 8, max charisma or boost strength at level 12. Alternately, ask your DM if you can find some strength enhancing gauntlets or a belt.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-06-03 at 08:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398

Lizardfolk

What do you guys think??
    If you just started playing this character, I'd just admit you made a mistake and ask the DM to let you switch fighting styles to either defense or dueling (Defense if you're sticking with 2H weapon, it's just plain better). Since he's brand new, the DM should let you.

I personally like going Dueling, so you only need 1 level of Hexblade, and have a better AC. Conquest Paladin is too cool for a deep dive into Hexblade.

For feats, if you're sticking with a 2H weapon, you really don't need Warcaster. You've got good opportunity attacks, so you don't want to cast a spell as opp attack. You can already Shield spell (or other spell casting) without it, since you have a "free hand" with 2H weapon. And you're at the character level where Res Con hits parity with Warcaster's advantage for concentration checks (and is entirely superior for non-damage concentration checks and all other Con saves). If you're changing up to a 1H weapon + dueling FS, you're still probably better off doing the free-action-sheathing-dance thing and skipping Warcaster. I mean, you really don't have that many spell slots to be Shielding every round, anyway (if you go Defense FS + 1H + a shield, that's a +3 to AC all the time, which is better than a +5 for a few rounds at the cost of your Smite slots). So take either that 20 CHA (best), or Dragon Fear for another non-concentration source of fear, or Res Con. Or PAM or Sentinel or whatever you find fun. Just skip Warcaster.
    Last edited by Guy Lombard-O; 2019-06-03 at 01:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks guys for the advice. Although I have come to a decision, that I’m going to go 4 lvls of Hex. Taking Warcaster at 8th lvl and max out CHA at 12th.

Also, I talked to my DM about changing Fighting styles, but he wasn’t up for it, so it looks like I’m stuck with GWF. I have found a work around for the first 2 lvls of Hex though, I can just use a Versatile weapon (which still works for Hex Warrior as it says only weapons with the 2H property can’t work). Then switch back to Glaive once I get Pact of the Blade.

And as for a feat, I still think Warcaster is the best option considering it gives me Adv. on Concentration checks (Wrathful Smite, Spirtual Weapon, Hold Person, etc). And once I get my 1st lvl in Hex, I can use great crowd control with AoO with Booming Blade. And at 2nd lvl I get Invocations and take Grasp of Hadar to pull creatures fleeing me (or out of my aura) back towards me.

This does delay the Conquest progression a lot, but I think I’ll have more fun with this kind of a build.

10. - Top - End - #400

Thanks guys for the advice. Although I have come to a decision, that I’m going to go 4 lvls of Hex. Taking Warcaster at 8th lvl and max out CHA at 12th.

Also, I talked to my DM about changing Fighting styles, but he wasn’t up for it, so it looks like I’m stuck with GWF. I have found a work around for the first 2 lvls of Hex though, I can just use a Versatile weapon (which still works for Hex Warrior as it says only weapons with the 2H property can’t work). Then switch back to Glaive once I get Pact of the Blade.

And as for a feat, I still think Warcaster is the best option considering it gives me Adv. on Concentration checks (Wrathful Smite, Spirtual Weapon, Hold Person, etc). And once I get my 1st lvl in Hex, I can use great crowd control with AoO with Booming Blade. And at 2nd lvl I get Invocations and take Grasp of Hadar to pull creatures fleeing me (or out of my aura) back towards me.

This does delay the Conquest progression a lot, but I think I’ll have more fun with this kind of a build.
    I guess that is a reasonable enough work around. You'll miss out on reach(Glaive) till Hexblade3 but you can at least keep your CHA to attack bonus and use GWF. Remember that taking Warlock at level 8 will not give you an ASI. You'll have to wait till level 11 when you reach Hexblade 4. Might was well go hexblade 5 then for 3rd level slots. You want to be spamming Fear.

You really really don't want to take warcaster before maxing Charisma. Conquest wants to have 20 Charisma at level 8. With 20 Cha you will already have +8 to Constitution saves. That makes the vast majority of concentration checks fail only on a natural 1. It can wait till your 3rd ASI.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You really really don't want to take warcaster before maxing Charisma. Conquest wants to have 20 Charisma at level 8. With 20 Cha you will already have +8 to Constitution saves. That makes the vast majority of concentration checks fail only on a natural 1. It can wait till your 3rd ASI.
    Or skip Warcaster entirely. With +8, as you said, most of the concentration saves are gonna be trivial, and if one really really wants to secure these saves, I'd rather recommend Resilient (CON).

I would heavily consider Sentinel, for that sweet sweet 10-feet movement lock.
    "Bend your knee! While you still have a knee to bend!

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Frog View Post
    Or skip Warcaster entirely. With +8, as you said, most of the concentration saves are gonna be trivial, and if one really really wants to secure these saves, I'd rather recommend Resilient (CON).

I would heavily consider Sentinel, for that sweet sweet 10-feet movement lock.
    There is something to be said for Booming Blade(w/ Sword and Board) or Eldritch Blast(w/ Glaive) as an attack of opportunity. Hold person is another fantastic reaction. Potent deterrents to foes leaving your range. Good option for any Conquest Pally who is investing in Warlock.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

if you multiclass hexblade and fight sword & board, I would never, NEVER skip warcaster. Concentration is pretty critical for conquerors, being able to cast shield while carrying a shield is a big deal, and booming blade is a very nice opportunity attack.

Sentinel is a fantastic feat, but while it's critical for most tanks, it's not /essential/ for conquerors. Once your aura kicks in, you have another lockdown option. Sentinel doesn't really do anything for enemies that are trapped in your aura anyway. It's still a really good feat for conquerors, mind. It lets you try to lock down enemies that are immune to or pass their save against your frighten affects, and that's pretty big. And if you want to be a proper tank before 7th level, you might want to take it as early as level 1 with vuman.

But given the lack of synergy with aura of conquest, I wouldn't really rate it as better than warcaster, resilient con, inspiring leader, alert, or lucky. On par with those, certainly, but not flat out better than any of them, and if you do multiclass hexblade, I'd say that bumps warcaster up above the rest, including sentinel.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can someone convince me on sentinel vs warcaster for a sword and board vhuman? I dont really want pam or shield master because spiritual weapon will already use most of my bonus actions.
    Last edited by firandice; 2019-06-08 at 02:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by firandice View Post
    Can someone convince me on sentinel vs warcaster for a sword and board vhuman? I dont really want pam or shield master because spiritual weapon will already use most of my bonus actions.
    Are you multi-classing with another caster? If so, Warcaster. If not, Sentinel. However you should consider Resilient Con in lieu of Warcaster if you're worried about Concentration checks and single classing.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding what 1Pirate said. Personally, I would grab one of warcaster or resilient con for sure, and the choice would depend on whether I would plan to multiclass or not.

About spiritual weapon, keep in mind two things. First, that if you start the battle with a spell (eg bless, wrathful smite, fear, etc), then you can only use it from the 2nd turn and onwards, so that alone can make it a bad option sometimes (as it decreases the number of rounds the spell will have an effect). Secondly, it competes with smites and some good spells for your 2nd level slots (eg aid, armor of Agathys -which is a spell worth upcasting sometimes). Bottom line, there are going to be times when your bonus action will be free to use with other things. What that tells me, is that I wouldn't mind having a situational bonus action option. And while PAM is not situational, shield master is.

Spoiler: A few words on shield master
    Show
    But is it good? It depends. Firstly on what version of it you are using, secondly on how it will affect your teammates. In a party with sth like 2 ranged dpr's I would avoid it, but in a party with sth like two GWM users, I would probably want to have the option to use my bonus actions shoving when the initiative order cooperates (and that's why it's situational). Granted, you can shove with your attacks, but once you get IDS that means more opportunity cost. And if you are using the older version, SM also means a further increase of your own dpr (though the main selling point is the increase of your melee GWM allies' dpr). For these reasons, and under the kind of conditions that I mentioned, I think that SM could be a good feat to grab at level 12.

That said, Malisteen has me second guessing some things. For context, we were talking about a party of 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    I wouldn't bother with shield master. Remember, you can already shove someone prone by giving up one of your attacks. The party has plenty of attacks, so that's not so great of a cost that it warrants burning an entire asi to mitigate it. Especially since, with your aura in effect, a lot of the time you'll only have to knock an enemy prone once and they'll stay prone for the rest of the battle.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-06-08 at 06:24 PM.
    Hacks!

17. - Top - End - #407

I'm assuming this is a level 12 ASI? For a pure Paladin, you probably want Res(Con). Just universally helpful especially if you have an odd Constitution stat. Thats +12HP and +5 to CON saves! Take this if you want to focus on tanking.

PAM is a good choice if you want to have more offense. An extra attack + reaction attack and with IDS it does good damage. Spend your 2nd level spell slots of utility spells or smites instead of spiritual weapon. Take this if you want a damage output spike.

Warcaster is the best choice if you've dipped warlock. You have other things to use reactions and bonus actions and being able to cast a spell like Booming Blade in response to an AoO is very nice.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-06-10 at 10:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No its my lvl 1 feat
    You can't pick Warcaster as a 1st level paladin, since you don't yet have the Spellcasting feature.
    "Bend your knee! While you still have a knee to bend!

19. - Top - End - #409

No its my lvl 1 feat
    You'd need to start as Warlock to grab Warcaster at level 1. Only works for a Dex based Paladin but is definitely a valid choice as a starting feat. I'd probably only do it if I was rolling stats though. Multclassed dex paladins are crazy MAD. You end up having either lowish Con or dumping Wis as you have to put 13 into Str to multiclass.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Does being knocked unconscious satisfy remaining within line of sight of your enemies?

An interesting thing happened yesterday during my group's dnd session. The party found themselves on the wrong end of a very nasty surprise round. When it was my character's turn, I was at 1 hp, with only 5 points of lay on hands at the bank and surrounded by several enemies. I used conquering presence and later on the same round I took a hit and was knocked unconscious. Now, conquering presence is very explicit about when it stops affecting an enemy (the enemy must succeed at a wisdom save to get rid of the frightened condition), and the frightened condition specifies that the affected creature has disadvantage on attacks and checks while the source of its fear is within line of sight. So even while my character was laying on the ground, the frightened enemies still suffered from disadvantage during several of the subsequent turns. Or at least that's how we ruled it (asked the question in the RAW thread to see if that's a correct interpretation; Q 305). We fluffed it as the enemies being distracted because they constantly glanced behind them to see if my character was still out of the fight. The point is, that conquering presence allowed me to impact combat during rounds where my character was unconscious, so that's some nice situational value one could squeeze out of this feature. Be careful though, because this could be a double-edged knife, as it could give more reason to a DM to have the enemies attack an unconscious pc (though would death break line of sight?).

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more (and without having received yet an answer in the RAW thread), I think it all comes down to if an unconscious/dead creature stops qualifying as a source of fear or not. I can't see anything in RAW suggesting that it does, but RAI could go either way as far as I am concerned. I'll edit in a spoiler below the answer I'll get from the RAW thread.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-06-15 at 04:00 AM.
    Hacks!

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Does being knocked unconscious satisfy remaining within line of sight of your enemies?
    RAW, yes if an ability has no caveats on being active while unconscious(such as requiring concentration) then it still remains active. The classic example is Rogue Evasion. Even when unconscious this effect is still active on them. They auto fail dex saves but still only take half damage from evasion.

Your CD works on foes until they make the save. It continues to work even if you're dead. For LOS - Everyone still has line of sight to you unconcious or not. Otherwise, how would ranged healing spells work on unconscious people.

In the end I'd expect the DM to need to make a decision on if that makes sense but RAW, you're just that scary. :)
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-06-17 at 08:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, very nice Guide.
    At first, sorry for my bad english 😉
    I read the guide and the threats, but i dont sure to understand all the things.

I built a Dragonborn Conpala, with these stats (Str15/Dex11/Con14/Wis 10/Int10/Cha16 incl. Racial Stats).
    Bad rolls, i know, but a little better then standard array.
    I took Far Traveler, Defense as Fighting Style and Oath of Conquest at least.
    At Level 4 i want to take Dragon Fear with +1 Cha and later manacing with +1Cha to reach 18.

But what i do after that?
    Take the 3. ASI to max Cha + 1 Feat or max Cha +2 Str? Or take 2 Feats for Polearm/S&B?
    We are playing Hoard of the Dragonqueen.
    With UA stuff.
    I have a Warpriest and a bladesinger in my Group and optional 1-2 Ranger + a Thief.

I like to play with Polearm but when S&B is better with my Stats it is ok.
    I think i dont want to Multiclass.

Thx and greetings,
    Rhunah
    Last edited by Rhunah; 2019-06-19 at 05:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Rhunah View Post
    Hi, very nice Guide.
    At first, sorry for my bad english 😉
    I read the guide and the threats, but i dont sure to understand all the things.

I built a Dragonborn Conpala, with these stats (Str15/Dex11/Con14/Wis 10/Int10/Cha16 incl. Racial Stats).
    Bad rolls, i know, but a little better then standard array.
    I took Far Traveler, Defense as Fighting Style and Oath of Conquest at least.
    At Level 4 i want to take Dragon Fear with +1 Cha and later manacing with +1Cha to reach 18.

But what i do after that?
    Take the 3. ASI to max Cha + 1 Feat or max Cha +2 Str? Or take 2 Feats for Polearm/S&B?
    We are playing Hoard of the Dragonqueen.
    With UA stuff.
    I have a Warpriest and a bladesinger in my Group and optional 1-2 Ranger + a Thief.

I like to play with Polearm but when S&B is better with my Stats it is ok.
    I think i dont want to Multiclass.

Thx and greetings,
    Rhunah
    Personally I would ignore Dragon Fear. Take Menacing at level 4 and the then +1 Str/Cha at level 8. Max Charisma at level 12. Menacing is a fantastic option if your DM allows it. You essentially get to spend an attack to negate an entire opponents turn if they have no ranged attack and are 10' away from you. If they do have a ranged attack, it's at disadvantage. Use your channel divinity when you need to scare multiple enemies and the fear spell at level 9. Sword and Board + Defensive FS will give you a very solid AC. Throw up shield of faith if you have multiple foes coming at you. You won't be dealing a lot of damage with only 1 attack per round but you're incredibly effective as a tank.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-06-19 at 08:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally I would ignore Dragon Fear. Take Menacing at level 4 and the then +1 Str/Cha at level 8. Max Charisma at level 12. Menacing is a fantastic option if your DM allows it. You essentially get to spend an attack to negate an entire opponents turn if they have no ranged attack and are 10' away from you. If they do have a ranged attack, it's at disadvantage. Use your channel divinity when you need to scare multiple enemies and the fear spell at level 9. Sword and Board + Defensive FS will give you a very solid AC. Throw up shield of faith if you have multiple foes coming at you. You won't be dealing a lot of damage with only 1 attack per round but you're incredibly effective as a tank.

Also Cha over all, thx.
    At last Shieldmaster?

25. - Top - End - #415

Also Cha over all, thx.
    At last Shieldmaster?
    Shieldmaster would pair well:

- Attack Action - Menacing to frighten foe
    - Shield Master Bonus action shove prone - They have disadvantage to resist due to fear
    - Extra attack with advantage
    - Your aura keeps them prone giving everyone in melee advantage against them for the round.

You're still using Strength for attack though. You may just want to take an ASI to get 18 strength instead. Dipping a single level of Hexblade would give you a big boost past level 12.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Pixie in the Playground

Shieldmaster would pair well:

- Attack Action - Menacing to frighten foe
    - Shield Master Bonus action shove prone - They have disadvantage to resist due to fear
    - Extra attack with advantage
    - Your aura keeps them prone giving everyone in melee advantage against them for the round.

You're still using Strength for attack though. You may just want to take an ASI to get 18 strength instead. Dipping a single level of Hexblade would give you a big boost past level 12.
    Thx for your help.
    To Lvl 12 is a long Way and i will think about the Hexblade Dip ;-)

27. - Top - End - #417

NecromancerGuy

Keep in mind that Menacing is 1) deprecated playtest content, unlikely to be allowed at most tables, and 2) only affects humanoid targets. By the late game, it's unlikely to apply to most enemies that matter.

IF you're DM allows it (and they probably shouldn't), then it's worth taking, but if you're starting with an even charisma score than a simple +2 cha might be better in the long run.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    Keep in mind that Menacing is 1) deprecated playtest content, unlikely to be allowed at most tables, and 2) only affects humanoid targets. By the late game, it's unlikely to apply to most enemies that matter.

IF you're DM allows it (and they probably shouldn't), then it's worth taking, but if you're starting with an even charisma score than a simple +2 cha might be better in the long run.
    Plan 1 (if DM allowed it):
    Lvl 4: Manacing (Cha 17)
    Lvl 8: +1 Cha/Str (Cha 18/Str 16)
    Lvl 12: + 2 Cha (Cha 20)
    Lvl 13: Lvl 1 Hexblade
    Lvl 17: Shieldmaster/ +1 Str (Str 18)

Plan 2 (without Manace):
    Lvl 4: +2 Cha (Cha 18)
    Lvl 8: + 2 Cha (Cha 20)
    Lvl 12: ?
    Lvl 13: 1 Lvl Hexblade ?
    Lvl 17: ?
    Last edited by Rhunah; 2019-06-21 at 06:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419

NecromancerGuy

For plan 2, the hex dip, if you're taking it, becomes a pretty high priority once your cha mod is 2 h8gher than strength mod. I could see delaying it one level fot Fear, but I wouldn't take it later than level 10 if I plan to take it at all, and if I didnt plan to take it, I might even take str 18 before cha 20. Charisma is super important in this build, but so is just hitting with your weapon.

30. - Top - End - #420

Plan 1 (if DM allowed it):
    Lvl 4: Manacing (Cha 17)
    Lvl 8: +1 Cha/Str (Cha 18/Str 16)
    Lvl 12: + 2 Cha (Cha 20)
    Lvl 13: Lvl 1 Hexblade
    Lvl 17: Shieldmaster/ +1 Str (Str 18)
    How tied to Dragonborn Race are you? You could take V-Human to get Menacing as your 1st level feat. You'll end up with Cha 18/Str 15 at level 4 and can reach 20 CHA at level 8 instead. You can MC into Hexblade at level 10 instead as Malisteen suggested. Dragonborn racial abilities are not very good to be honest. Their breath weapon needs to scale better or use a bonus action.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-06-21 at 08:42 AM.