New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified; what I meant was “is sentinel so good that it’s a slam dunk pick at level 12 if you don’t have it yet”.

I imagine it would be, but I’m thinking of pushing it to say 16 and getting Inspiring leader/tough at 12 to add to my (and others) hit point pool since I don’t have damage reduction like Barbarian; or the offence of a GWM Fighter (etc).

Thanks for the input!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arnin77 View Post
    Yeah, I guess I should have clarified; what I meant was “is sentinel so good that it’s a slam dunk pick at level 12 if you don’t have it yet”.

I imagine it would be, but I’m thinking of pushing it to say 16 and getting Inspiring leader/tough at 12 to add to my (and others) hit point pool since I don’t have damage reduction like Barbarian; or the offence of a GWM Fighter (etc).

Thanks for the input!
    Sentinel is not so much of a slam dunk that you have to take it at all, let alone by level 12. Not because it isn't that good - it is that good. But there are enough other feats that are also that good, not to mention the pressure on stats, that it's entirely possible for a conquest build to go 20 levels without taking sentinel and not be able to point to any asi that objectively should have been dropped for it.

It's never the wrong choice, but there are enough other right choices that it isn't, at least imo, a must have.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello Conquerors! I'm gonna be playing the classic fallen aasimar in an upcoming game starting at 3rd level. So far my party is looking to be very frontline heavy with an Echo Knight fighter, as well as a barbarian(subclass not decided yet). There will be a 4th player but class is undecided. Regardless this will be a very frontline intensive group and I want to make my character be able to lead the frontline. I plan on being more defensively focused with sword and board while staying pure pally. I plan on doing the following spread with point buy:
    16, 10, 14, 8, 8, 17. The 17 can be subject to change but I plan on rounding it out with a half feat such as fey touched at level 4. I might even take skill expert for another skill and intimidation expertise(great for rp). From there I plan on boosting my charisma up asap. Other feats such as sentinel, inspiring leader and even shield master all have their appeal with a heavy frontline. Until reaching level 7 I still think I can get use from fear effects by making them eat 3 opportunity attacks by my frontline. Only problem would be chasing them down lmao. Other than that I plan on playing a standard build and I'm very excited for it
    Last edited by Chadironchest; 2021-06-10 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typo

4. - Top - End - #724
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just got to level 11 with my conquerer and was looking at magic items that might be good for my character.

I think this is a new one? “Conquering Maul” legendary +3

Anyone use this or know what it’s from? Seems interesting…

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Afaik, conquering maul is a homebrew item from here: https://www.brandesstoddard.com/2020...01d12%20damage.

It's not official so may not be available. If it is, it's interesting, but not exactly stronger than the holy avenger its meant to be a stand in for. Both weapons are stronger than you'd generally expect to have access to at 10/11 level.

Good conquest items include:

anything that raises attack bonus, damage, ac, or saves (+x weapons, armor, shields; rings & cloaks of protection, etc).

strength fixers (gauntlets of ogre strength, belts of giant strength) - if you arent a hexblade & haven't already raised your strength

Anything that improves initiative (eg sentinel shield). There is a huge difference between locking down enemies before vs after they've had a chance to act.

Anything that causes frighten - eg wand of fear, mace of terror, pipes of haunting. The pipes require proficiency in a woodwind instrument, so that's worth picking up if you can, just on the off chance you find some.

Amulet of the Devout. This item is basically unique in raising your spell DCs, and additionally gives you an extra channel divity per day, both fantastic for conquerors.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah ok thanks. I was wondering about that…. I saw it on a list and it was ranked #2 with the holy avenger ranked #3, so I was wondering if it was from Tashas or something. (Definitely not expecting it at levek 11; more just seeing what options there are for S&B, PAM or GWM routes.)

Amulet of the Devout looks interesting too…

7. - Top - End - #727
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hey all,

About to play my first Conquest pally in Curse of Strahd and am looking for some spoiler-free advice before I jump in:

* Fear immunity- I've seen mixed opinions on whether this is a fatal problem in this campaign, or just something to be worked around. What are people's experiences for CoS specifically? The window for using the aura is only 2-3 levels so I want to make sure it's worth the trip to Paladin 7+.

* Fighting style- My DM says that strahd is quite combat-light (?), so I'm considering Blessed Warrior for some out-of-combat utility (guidance, thaumaturgy), and leaving javelins & spiritual weapon for ranged. Has anyone tried this for size?

* Party is GWM fighter, Aberrant Mind Sorc, and Melee Gloomstalker. With a mostly frontline group, would a reach weapon be beneficial to act as a phalanx behind the other martials? Or sword and board for sustain?

If it helps- I'm a Dragonborn with 17, 16, 14, 11, 11, 10 before racials.

Appreciate any tips!

8. - Top - End - #728
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Closed for Necromancy
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2