Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,488 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) IC

Banrignamara is next up to the stand, and she is still deciding not to appear in her completely draconic form. Rather, she has chosen to stay in her human form, and still isn't dressing in a queenly way at all. Given her arrogance, you don't have the slightest clue why she doesn't put on more of a show of her position, but none of you yet have had the courage to question her on it. She doesn't actually stand before the lectern, she just walks around the podium, clearly having memorized what she is going to say.

"This country of Recnam used to be a place of beauty and grandeur once, but unfortunately tragedy has befallen it and it shall never be the same. Its shores are now littered with the rubble of the many defiled ships, the fruits of civilization rendered as passive to the world as rocks. Its forests have been polluted and all living creatures have fled from them, fled into the jaws of the Other that has destroyed this place. And most sadly of all, its cities and towns have been twisted into a macabre mockery of their former selves, desecrated to the point where they superficially seem habitable, but closer investigation reveals them broken beyond repair. There was much promise in this land, but there is not anymore. The civilization that existed before has collapsed and it still swarms with the scattered remnants of the Aboleth's army."

"It is time that we moved on from Recnam and found our futures elsewhere. There is nothing left here worth being salvaged. Any remaining seaworthy vessel shall be put to the task of moving our surviving citizens across the ocean, and all remaining institutions on land shall be dedicated to the creation of the ships and resources necessary for this pilgrimage. Gradually over the course of the next months, those who want to leave Recnam will have found a way out. Ships will all be going to different locations, and it shall all be your choice where you decide to leave to."

"For the many that cannot immediately voyage away from here, you will still be able to feed yourselves and your families by aiding in the creation of the ships and any resources required for these quests. For those of you who are looking for less menial work, I shall be leading a group of volunteers out into the countryside to find any remaining survivors of the war and bring them back to the camp around the college. How many people volunteer will determine how far we will go and how many citizens we can bring back."

"Please, nobody despair at the loss of your homeland. There is much promise in the farms of Braughlmark, the armies of Goblinica, the caravans of Orcinople, the gold mines of the Frost Stone Mountains, the jungles of the Tloclix Empire, and the watch of the Magesterium. You all will find lives that are much more happy, prosperous, and safe in civilizations other than here.

"And you should all find refuge in monarchs other than me, for I am wise and know that it is best if other people rule the citizens from now on. I will watch over this camp until every single last subject of mine has left the country, then I shall return to the ocean, my birthing place, to live out the rest of my days. Despair not for me, for I shall find happiness."

Banrignamara stops maneuvering around the platform and goes to sit in the back. Something about her tone and body language indicates a deep sadness, but there is something else in there too. She seems relieved, much more relaxed than before she delivered the speech. Despite all the glories of being queen, the duties may have been getting to her, and she seems much more happy that she is on a path where work will lessen for her.
    5e Monster Features Index

My D&D 5e homebrew

The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

No one seems to bother Banrignamara for the next collection of minutes, which she seems somewhat grateful for. Theophilus is the next person to give the speech, and steps ahead of the others on the dais. He doesn't seem particularly anxious or anxious, and seems rather calm. As he is moving forward, you recognize that Ymhythrharc has now appeared and is standing next to the steps on the dais. Almost everybody, both on top of the dais and in the crowd, looks disdainfully and dissapointed at his arrival, but nobody really says anything on the matter.

Theophilus grips the lectern with one hands and holds a sheaf of papers in the other, but you don't see him ever really decide to glance at the papers. "It should be obviously evident that the College of Banrignamara can't easily stay here when the government leaves because it will render it seperate from a great deal of resources and make communication much more difficult than it needs to be. While research should always be our main goal at the college, if we can't actually make use of any of our findings because we can't reveal it to anyone, then there is little purpose in doing it. So naturally, it is probably best that the college move to another area."

"But me and the other authorities of the college are well aware of how valuable this country could be to us. Potent magical phenomenon and strange creatures now linger in this area, and that could make for great research resources. By staying here, we could make much profit off of rare resources that can't be found anywhere else. But, the other problems I mentioned should be addressed as well. Therefore, me and the other archwizards have planned for a compromise:"

"We shall negotiate an agreement between the College and the Royal Family of the Kingdom of Braughlmark in which they will allow us to teleport the college into their country. I am not quite sure what this arrangment would entail yet, but we suspect that it may require us to perform some services for their country. But we will also keep the portal to here open, so that the college can be moved back to this location on Recnam whenever we so desire. In doing this, we create the most optimal solution."

He continues to deliberate on the specifics of the plan for what must be ten minutes more, but very few in the crowd can actually understand what he is trying to say. The people in the dais of course understand the subjects better than the laypeople in the crowd, but it is likely that only Zaladane and the other college authorities understand the full gravity of what he is claiming. Eventually he returns to the back of the dais with the others, and flashes Zaladane a mysterious smile with a meaning that is anybody's guess.

Everyone on the dais is now scowling though, as they know that Ymhythrharc is the next to speak. You know he claimed that he (or it?) isn't giving a proper speech, so much as an "announcement", but it's not clear what he means by that. One thing is for sure though: this announcement probably isn't going to have good news.

My D&D 5e homebrew

Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion blinked as he tried to follow the aged wizard's explanation of advanced portal theory. Wickett, on the other hand, seemed quite intrigued.

"How are you following this?" He whispered to the space cat.

"My people make use of similar magic quite often remember?"

The paladin sighed as the wizard finished his speech and stepped aside. Then...that thing wearing the skin of another stepped up to the stage. Ymhythrharc, Zaddion's hackles rose and he stared at the abomination. His hand twitched, eager to grab the hilt of his blade but he stayed his hand...for now. Wickett put a paw on Zaddion's chest.

"Easy now, no need to start a fight when you don't have to."

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post

The paladin sighed as the wizard finished his speech and stepped aside. Then...that thing wearing the skin of another stepped up to the stage. Ymhythrharc, Zaddion's hackles rose and he stared at the abomination. His hand twitched, eager to grab the hilt of his blade but he stayed his hand...for now. Wickett put a paw on Zaddion's chest.

"Easy now, no need to start a fight when you don't have to."
    Ymhythrharc gives a cruel smirk at you, and speaks to you in a completely flat voice. "I have just come here to give a neutral announcement, no action shall be done here today other than that of speech. There will be no violence on my part today unless it is to reciprocate for actions done by you or others here." You are fairly certain that the mere twitch of your hands should not have clearly indicated to him that you had violent thoughts, but he some how accurately guessed or found that out himself.

As the Possessed man stands to the front of the dais, you immediately recognize the changes in appearance he went through. He is dressed in a sandy brown cloak and despite the fact that it is too hot to warrant it, is wearing what appear to be a scarf and gloves made out of burlap. The face is contorted into a pig like snear that you aren't convinced a human could naturally do. Everyone stares upon the figure with restrained disgust, but once again nobody says anything.

"I must apologize to everyone here, especially the members of the Resistance Congress here, for I have not been completely honest with my identity." He speaks to the crowd in a deadpan monotone, with very subtle and brief tones of venom used for emphasis on certain words. "I have told you that I am the Yithian named Ymhythrharc, but this is not true, and that individual, as I dare not call a yithian a person, has not been alive for many decades. My true name is Gozzuth of the Nyarlathotep Dynasty, acting under the guise of Ymhythrharc to preserve my identity to those who would wish to harm me. You all should understand why I acted the way I did, and not hold a grudge against me for it."

"I am glad to here that the government under Banrignamara has decided to quit this place, because my plans require direct involvement in this place. As acting Emperor of the Northern Plateus of Leng, I hereby decree that this island, once the country of Recnam, is now annexed into our Empire. We are to hold complete dominion, in all aspects, over the entirety of the mainlaind of this island and any surrounding isles within a mile of its coast."

"We will not immediately garrison our legions in this land though, and shall rather give all current inhabitants a year to leave. At the next vernal equinox, approximately just a few days under a year from this date, we will send in troops to occupy and appropriate this region. By that point, all inhabitants should have left the territory, and those who stay when that day comes will either be forcefully deported if they comply, or tried and executed if they resist."

"Thank you all for complying with the requests vested in me by my lineage as Ancestral Emperor of the Northern Plateaus of Leng. If you have any immediate questions on the matter, I will be staying at this ceremony for another hour to disclose any information asked of me that I feel is proper to give. After that point, I shall be keeping ambassadors here who can serve as a medium between those acting under me and any petitioners. Thank you, and goodbye."

As he steps off the dais to a less obvious area on the grounds, a kind of stunned silence settles over the crowd. The idea of fiends establishing a colony on the Material Plane is not a comforting thought. Mhithle and Eshiraith seem irate at this, and share whispers with each other, but don't appear to have any plan to act. Banrignamara and Theophilus show body language that indicates they are immensely disappointed and anxious at this, but not horribly shocked or surprised (they must have known about it ahead of time). A flurry of whispers and murmurs sound around the area, but once again everyone seems to awed by Nyarlathotep's Proclamation to actually act on it yet.

My D&D 5e homebrew

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    ..."We will not immediately garrison our legions in this land though, and shall rather give all current inhabitants a year to leave. At the next vernal equinox, approximately just a few days under a year from this date, we will send in troops to occupy and appropriate this region. By that point, all inhabitants should have left the territory, and those who stay when that day comes will either be forcefully deported if they comply, or tried and executed if they resist."...

Human Fighter/Rogue
    Diggory'
    AC:20, HP:115/36
    asks those next to him: "Did he just say that his troops will kill anyone left in this land a year from now?"
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

D&D Alignment history

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Bastard...he...it...played us all. Leng just managed to remove two enemies in one go and barely lost anything." Zaddion spoke, directing his words to others on the dais. "We were just a tool to remove the aboleth."

Zaddion clenched his fists, this wasn't the place for violence. Too many things could go wrong, but he fully intended to keep the promise he made to the free people's of Leng.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Colossus in the Playground

Lily looks for her personal piece of paper, unclear why everyone is so angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Human Fighter/Rogue
    Diggory'
    AC:20, HP:115/36
    asks those next to him: "Did he just say that his troops will kill anyone left in this land a year from now?"
    Banrignamara responds to you in a hollow voice while looking outwards into space. "The exact terminology of the agreement is that Nyarlathotep's army would forcefully deport anyone left on the island who didn't resist, and only kill those who would resist. I wouldn't put it past them though to use a very liberal definiton of "resistance" though."

"Bastard...he...it...played us all. Leng just managed to remove two enemies in one go and barely lost anything." Zaddion spoke, directing his words to others on the dais. "We were just a tool to remove the aboleth."
    Eshiraith and Mhithle seem to be just holding back from being fuming at this point, and seem to refuse to respond, probably because they know they will say something that they regret. Banrignamara has gone quiet too, seemingly for a different reason, and you aren't even quite sure why the lady holding the crab is up here. It takes a while for anyone to say anything, but eventually Theophilus responds in an almost darkly whistful manner.

"We should have realized it from the start, it couldn't be a coincidence that the fiends are trying to invade the country whose leader they made a deal with a few centuries before. And then having the same person who made the deal lead the attack... I am beginning to suspect that this Maelstrom character may have been completely fictional, and Nyarlathotep was always the one pulling the strings here. The terms of what we are expected to do as part of the agreement make much more sense now though: he wouldn't want us helping the Nantharanak fight against him in this area."

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Lily looks for her personal piece of paper, unclear why everyone is so angry.
    The silent person you can't recognize who is holding the crab sets the crustacean down and starts writing down the best paraphrase of the speech she can. She is exceptionally quick in doing so, and is finished in just under five minutes. She puts it in the crab's claws, who quickly reads it, then it shuffles its mandibles and tilts its head in an almost knowing look towards you. The caretaker takes the paper out of it then hands it to you, which details a near perfect paraphrasing of the announcement Nyarlathotep just gave.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-04-12 at 07:49 PM.

My D&D 5e homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Colossus in the Playground

Lily nods, her face turned to stone in an instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the Journal of Zaladane

I should have a more visceral reaction to the bombshell. Indignation at being played! Anger at their annexation! A white hot rage to defend my homeland to the very last. And yet... and yet... given how the Empress and Theophilus chose to react, I find myself filled with a sense of ennui. I find myself no longer caring.

I am getting old, and with everything that has happened in the past few months, I have had my fill of danger and adventure. It is past time for me to retire to a quiet life in the academe with Theophilus. Braughlmark is not too bad a place to settle down to, all things considered. Perhaps I can adopt a war orphan or two, and teach them never to make the mistakes we all did when we agreed to consort with the demons.

Let the folly of Banrignamara and Recnam be widely known that future generations will learn from our mistakes. Maybe one day, Recnam shall be liberated once again, but that task will no longer be mine. I have fought the good fight, and have done my part, and shall now go quietly into the night.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-04-12 at 08:51 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Eshiraith is the next person who is supposed to speak, and he doesn't wait nearly as long as the others had since the ending of the last speech before he goes to the front. He only seemed to take a minute or two to collect himself before stepping up actually, presumably to break the tension of Nyarlathotep's announcement. Too your surprise, he doesn't actually seem to be trying to control the signs of anger in his body.

The sermon that follows is, in its essence, an over ten minute long sublimation of his rage towards the Empire. It consists of flowery and complex language regarding theory of government, but you can still understand it fairly well even without much knowledge. He is mainly lecturing the people on the abstract concepts which make a government suitable for its citizens, and emphasizing how Nyarlathotep is following none of those. It is rather uncharacteristic of him in that it is vehement and proud, but not that dissonant when you come to understand that his opinions are based on his analysis and education of the subject for years now. You distinctly remember the ending most of all:

"It is a self-evident and inherent truth that the purpose of government is to serve and protect the people it is meant for. But Nyarlathotep and his Cabinet have not only repeatedly, but habitually, ignored their natural purpose and instead have taken on a role of acting in the contrary by razing the physical wellbeing, emotional stability and social solidarity of its people. They are not our rulers, they are merely sociopaths, slavers, and thieves: bandits who masquerade as having the just authority over our existences, autonomy, and property. Nyarlathotep's only belief is those adhering to his own sense of Antisocial Narcissism; his only desire to render all those who defy, support and ignore him beneath him."

"Upon seeing the continued failure of the Empire of Leng and its rulers it is apparent that it is not we who are the criminals and they the government, but we are the authority and they the criminals. And as a just authority, running under the Perpetual Union of the Nantharanak, must seize the bandits of the Empire from committing further crime against the people of Leng and the world. It is hereby decreed that no longer shall they be allowed to reign over the world, so long as the Nantharanak is there to stop them."

He then returns back to his seat (well, section of the platform really, there are no seats), staring quietly into the distance as if he had never given the speech in the first place.

My D&D 5e homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You are aware that the next person on the schedule is Kialja, but you cannot really see him anywhere around. For some unknown reason, the apparently native woman holding the crab does some sort of odd hand ritual and chant on the crab that doesn't seem to bring about any obvious change. Then surprisingly she steps forward and holds crab in front in front of her. And then even more surprisngly, the crab starts speaking in Kialja's voice.

"My apologies for having to present myself in this way everybody, a medical complication occurred. During the fight with the Aboleth I decided to momentarily possess a blue crab to speak the heroes who triumphed over the Aboleth and Viakkurahd. But while my soul and mind was in the body of this crab, my original body was apparently struck by a massive axe thrown by one of the giant toadlike monsters. Because my body was too mangled by the axe for my soul to return to it, my mind kind of... stayed inside the crab, for a lack of better words. One day I will find a way to return to a more suitable form, but until then, this is how things are just going to have to be. Thankfully though my wonderful wife, Ginnumarra, is willing to aid me in maintaining my duties and taking care of the tasks that I can no longer do."

"And this brings us to our next part: what exactly are my responsibilities going to be from now on now that the territory here has been claimed by Leng? And my answer is that my responsibilities have not changed: this country doesn't belong to Leng just because they say it is their's, our ancestors have lived here for years and it is our right to stay here. In the upcoming time we will make any and all preparations necessary to keep Nyarlathotep's army from stealing what rightfully belongs to us."

"But I am well aware that this challenge will be impossible for us to do alone. So we will be officially aligning ourselves with the Nantharanak and supporting them in their quest to topple the tyranny of the Empire of Leng. With a coalition that is expansive, competent and large enough, we shall be able to resist the insidious encroachments of the fiends into our homeland. Just as we made allies with the Kingdom of Banrignamara to fend off the aberrations from soiling our property, we shall work with the Nantharanak to prevent to prevent the fiends from stealing our way of life from us."

"And if any of the former citizens of the Kingdom of Banrignamara would rather fight like a true person than flee like a coward, than they may join us as well."

"If any of the few of you in this crowd happen to be working for Nyarlathotep: give him this message. We will not harm him so long as he doesn't harm us. So when he finally comes to his senses that we're going to drive him into the dirt if he tries us, let him know that we are not above coming to a peaceful agreement. If he goes with his tail between his legs, I promise that we will not come after it. And be assured, if Nyarlathotep thinks about messing with us, he will go running."

The crowd seems to go ecstatic over this speech, even many of the ones who will not be participating in said conflict. Eshiraith and Mhithle look at each with delighted surprise, clearly not expecting this to be the outcome. You aren't quite sure how Nyarlathotep is reacting on the sidelines, but you have the distinct feeling he is probably not taking too well to this development. It appears that this country might not be belonging to Nyarlathotep so easily.

My D&D 5e homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

After seeing that everybody on the crowd who wishes to speak has spoken, most people seem to be preparing to leave as if the ceremony has just ended, including even most of the people on stage. But too your surprise, Banrignamara actually calls (and by that, I mean shouts) attention back to the dais for some yet unexplained reason. Nobody was expecting her to speak even further, and you are not yet sure who has even spoken. After a while, you hear another voice calling attention, but it is definetely not from Banrignamara, and you aren't sure where it's coming from. That is, until you look down and notice that wicket has padded his way to the edge of the podium and is mixing meows in with language.

"Please everybody, we're not done yet, the Cats of Ulthar have yet to speak for themselves." Wickett is sitting down with his back legs, but using his front legs to keep the rest of his body up. His tail periodically flicks to and from his legs, which you assume must be some sort of gesture. "Now I don't have a whole lot to say, because, you know, speaking is a little weird for me, but if you are interested hear me out for a minute or two."

"I know that probably some of you want us to join the resistance against Nyarlathotep, but after much deliberation with the council of elders, we decided against it. Although we performed well in combat here, we were not meant for acts of violence and would prefer to offer aid in less bloody areas. Thusly, instead we are offering our aid to Mhithle and the rest of the Deep Ones in their attempt to restore their society. We will be consulting with with the leaders of the Deep Ones and providing them with information, along with performing any services that do not require much muscle. We will offer as much aid as we can in areas of studying and governing."

"So yep, I think that will be all from us. Don't try to ask us for military aid against Nyarlathotep, we will not give it. We are not meant for a constantly violent state of life, as you humans seem to be, so we will be moving on. We hope that perhaps some of you will be doing the same, and that perhaps one day, you will not need to mount perpetual resistances and wars. Once that point is reached, then maybe you could all learn what the Deep Ones have just learned in the hardest way possible: that only when everybody works together is everyone satisfied."

He licks his paw a couple times for dramatic effect, then saunters back to Zaddion's leg. Banrignamara announces that this is the end of the ceremony, and people seem to be quite happy about this. After that everyone breaks their formerly solid structure and returns to their normal conversations. Some people will not stay for much longer, but others shall spend hours hear deliberating out what happens next and making various goodbyes, promises and arrangements. One thing for sure though is that everyone on the dais shall be there for quite some time.

I will wait two days to see if any PC wants to inquire further about any of the speeches made, and then we shall move to planning of the future.

My D&D 5e homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion stared down at his familiar. "Does this mean If I aid them in the fight against Leng, you will be leaving my service?"

"Why so eager for another fight after winning one war already?"

"You call that 'winning'? It was a pyrrhic victory at best."

"Zaddion, you avenged your village you won. You can walk away from this. Just let it go."

"It's that easy is it? To see injustice and just...turn away? How much evil should I allow in this world? What's an acceptable compromise?"

"That's not what I mean. Balance..." Zaddion cut his cat off.

"Their is no balance! Good and evil are not concepts that can balance one another out! This evil, this disease it warps our natures infects us poisoning what should be simple parts of our nature into something horrible." He remembers a man ranting scratching at stone walls. A heartbroken soul on the shore who gave himself to darkness and madness. Both he and the Vampire so close to one being the same as the other. "I cannot stand by and let this infection spread corrupting everything until nothing worth saving remains. You cannot compromise with something that consumes or destroys you. You can only reject it and refuse to let it determine your fate or those around you. You...I! I cannot live in 'balance' with evil. You either fight or submit." Zaddion realized then and there he hadn't been controlling the volume of his voice. He'd been shouting for the past several minutes of his rant and all on the dias and a few beyond could hear him. "I'll fight, until I no longer can. No compromise."

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zaddion stared down at his familiar. "Does this mean If I aid them in the fight against Leng, you will be leaving my service?"

"Why so eager for another fight after winning one war already?"

"You call that 'winning'? It was a pyrrhic victory at best."

"Zaddion, you avenged your village you won. You can walk away from this. Just let it go."

"It's that easy is it? To see injustice and just...turn away? How much evil should I allow in this world? What's an acceptable compromise?"

"That's not what I mean. Balance..." Zaddion cut his cat off.

"Their is no balance! Good and evil are not concepts that can balance one another out! This evil, this disease it warps our natures infects us poisoning what should be simple parts of our nature into something horrible." He remembers a man ranting scratching at stone walls. A heartbroken soul on the shore who gave himself to darkness and madness. Both he and the Vampire so close to one being the same as the other. "I cannot stand by and let this infection spread corrupting everything until nothing worth saving remains. You cannot compromise with something that consumes or destroys you. You can only reject it and refuse to let it determine your fate or those around you. You...I! I cannot live in 'balance' with evil. You either fight or submit." Zaddion realized then and there he hadn't been controlling the volume of his voice. He'd been shouting for the past several minutes of his rant and all on the dias and a few beyond could hear him. "I'll fight, until I no longer can. No compromise."
    Wickett seems surprisingly calm and far more empathetic than upset by this. "Zaddion, I don't think you understand why I am doing what I am doing. It's not as if I am sitting back on the sidelines doing nothing as the world is being torn apart, I am going over the Deep to help repair a broken country. Dagon's territory is in a terrible condition right now Zaddion, it just experienced a civil war, its economy is in shambles, its army is weakened and impotent, and it is going to become a lot worst when over 15,000 people with severe and persist mental illnesses are in there."

"I think Zaddion, that people tend to get so caught up in the violent and dramatic wars that they forget the causes of the wars in the first place. Although this isn't always the case, conflicts like this tend to arise when injustice and desperation take hold. When someone, or something, finds a way to make use of that desperation and convince others that fighting is the best way to prevent the injustice. It's conditions like the Deep is in right now which caused this war in the first place when the Aboleth arose, and those same conditions could very well lead to another if no one does something about it. We are nipping problems in the bud, I suppose you could."

"I suppose that people also tend to forget what is truly the biggest threat to them. Among all these great conflicts where so many die from bloodshed, it is so frequently forgotten that even in those times it is never violence that is the biggest killer. Regardless of what is going on, plague always asserts itself as a far more diligent servitor to Death than war could ever hope to be. And despite this being the case, tell me how much resources are put into finding cures to diseases as opposed to weapons of war? Don't you think it would be better if society were allowed to naturally reach a point where we could focus on improving our live rather than destroying others? I see an oppurtunity to find such a society in the Deep."

"I think you like to believe that I am just giving up because I am taking a nonviolent path. But in truth, I am fighting just as great of a battle as you are, just in a different area and in a different way. I know that seems like apathy to you, but it is not. Before you accuse me of slothfulness, Zaddion, ask yourself this: if some belligerent army were to form in the home of the Deep Ones, whether it be the Deep Ones themselves or aberrations stomping them underfoot, and to wage war on your home, would you bother to ask "why did nobody try to stop this from happening?". And if you wouldn't, then perhaps that is why we can't see eye to eye."

"And I may be leaving Zaddion, but please remember how easy it is for me to travel. If you needed me, I could arrive in less than a literal minute. I will still be there for you Zaddion, even if I can't constantly stay by your side."

My D&D 5e homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

People seem to pay attention to the spectacle between Zaddion and his cat as it is going on, but once it is over not a whole lot of people seem to talk about it. It seems like many are just tired of the drama in general, or perhaps there are just things here that are of more interest to others. The people on the dais don't really need to stay there anymore, as no more speeches will be given, but most of them are. Now the ceremony seems to be like the world's largest picnic, that just so happens to be stocked with the last people one would expect to be at a picnic, who all still happened to be armed, which really takes away from the peaceful element. Silence falls over the dais until eventually people step off to start talking with other important members in everybody's circles.

It doesn't take Theophilus very long to approach Zaladane, but he seems oddly nervous about something. Regardless, his tone of voice does not match his twitching hands as he speaks to her. Although his gaze is mostly focused on Zaladane's eyes, they do occasionally jolt towards the ring she is wearing.

"When we move the resources of the college over to Braughlmark, it's no secret that we are essentially starting over again. A good half of the staff is leaving, we will not be able to get the building over there, and its going to take at least months to establish everything up. But I think that if we do manage settle everything down, then it could last for many years to come. If you aren't too busy, would you mind staying with me and helping the college rebuild in Braughlmark? Things aren't going to be nearly as exciting as they used to be, and it's going to be a lot of bland supervision and menial advising, but I don't think that is such a bad thing. Would you be interested in taking part of that project in your final years Zaladane?"

My D&D 5e homebrew

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OOC: Apologies. I completely overlooked this. I was busy being obsessed with SimCompanies, you see.

"Bland is good. I have excitement enough for a lifetime, Phil. I would consider it a pleasure to spend the rest of my days by your side."

And after a beat and a conspiratorial wink, she leans in and whispers, the impish grin resurfacing after all those years since the magical mishap that permanently rendered her sterile. "Maybe we should adopt an orphan or two to serve as your apprentices!"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-05-03 at 01:30 AM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: This thread is at the 50 page limit. Begin a new thread.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.