Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1361
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    At the god's cry Tuoni's left foot kicks up a small arc of sand as it slides forwards over the weather-worn stone...

    Spoiler: Charms
    Show
    I'll release the motes from Ancient Tongue Understanding.

    Spoiler: Join Battle Roll
    Show
    (6d10)[10][5][8][9][1][7](40) + 3 = 8 + 2 from the OOC is 10 total Initiative.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 02:00 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Paint a picture of a woman, balancing on a knife's edge of fear and calm and excitement. Silk garments and iron will. Determined to fight... but, perhaps, out of her depth. The gong goes off, and her heart clenches. She moves, but... slow, too slow, compared to her opponent.
    Ignore the thousand subtle shifts of body and face, so much quicker than the gross movements of limb.
    Feel her pulse race, see the subtle currents of essence flare erratically. Hear the soft, cut-off grunt of effort as she digs in her heels.
    The tone so carefully chosen to strike the right resonance of vulnerability.
    Watch closely.
    See what I want you to.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Total initiative of 8. Bystanders and Tuoni may make reflexive Read Intentions rolls.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    "Tch," Mourning Blade grunts, dismissively. "On her back foot already. If he hadn't disarmed himself, this would be over quickly."

    In the pavilion of the gods, some eyes watch with clearer vision. Were anyone watching him, rather than the fighters in the arena, they might see Lupo's body tense in anticipation of the violence to come. Ivory Knife's performance is exquisitely skilled, but he knows what steel lies behind her silk.

    Spoiler: Brown Leaf
    Show
    Through his actions, King Harnapuul certainly seems dismissive of his servants and most of the other competitors, but Brown Leaf can't get any deeper read on the man's feelings than that. Any hidden depths he may or may not have are going to remain hidden from her for now.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    "Wha!? Is she even gonna defend herself?" Brown Leaf muttered aloud. To her eyes, it looked like Ivory Knife had started the bout with a huge opening, like she didn't even want to fight. Tuoni looked like an expert fighter, he wouldn't miss an opportunity like this...but was it really fair against an opponent who looked so vulnerable? Brown Leaf's eyes hardened as she looked to Tuoni. She'd never liked bullies...

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    ...and he fights back a grin under his mask. The totality of him agreed that this would be easier than he thought, except for a tiny voice in the back of his mind squawking a shrill tone. She was here, wasn't she? Here with all the other masters.

    In the northeast, there's a bird that hunts only in the winter. It's a small thing, but clever, with double-jointed legs and a shrill cry, and it only hunts other hunters. Firstly it finds a tree well - a field of snow so loose that the slightest pressure could collapse it like the quicksands of the south - and it alights in the middle and bloodies itself. And then it waits, screaming in apparent pain, until some fool sees the opportunity and moves to kill it. The fool collapses the well and the bird takes wing with a skittering laugh, descending to feast.

    This women reminded him of that bird.

    Spoiler: Read Intentions
    Show
    (5d10)[6][6][10][2][1](25) (Fail)
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 03:45 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    ...But the hero always rallies.
    Believe that you are the hero, and anyone who stands against you will become a villain.
    The slide of Ivory Knife's back foot stops, as her heel presses into the ground. What seemed like the beginning of a hasty retreat ends halfway, leaving her in a defensive but solid-looking stance. And all at once, like the parting of a veil, she is the scared underdog no longer. Determination and flashing, righteous anger at this man she barely knows sparks in her eyes, and an inhuman cry comes from her lips.
    Tell someone that they're the villain, and they'll fear that you may be right.
    It starts out as a wordless cry of defiance, clear and piercing. But instead of fading, the note only strengthens, taking on oddly beautiful harmonies as Ivory Knife screws shut her eyes and pours herself into the note - and what comes out sounds like anguish and fury. She directs it at Tuoni like a storm, eyes reddening as her voice moves through terrible harmonies high and low, promising unholy wrath on the poor fool who thought he could break her.
    I'm sorry for doing this to you.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending one willpower to make a decisive ambush attack per Open Palm Caress. No charms on the attack.
    Flurrying a Perform+Charisma attempt to instill an intimacy of fear toward Ivory Knife, ignoring the usual penalties on flurries per Voice of the Night Bird. Adding a two-dice excellency for one mote.

    Finally, taking my reflexive move to go to medium range.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Dex(5)+Martial Arts(5)+Specialty(1)+Stunt(2)
    Attack - (16d10)[2][1][3][3][7][7][1][2][10][4][8][5][6][3][2][5](69)

    Damage, if successful:
    Damage - (13d10)[3][2][4][1][9][1][10][4][6][10][3][7][7](67)

    ---

    Cha(2)+Perform(5)+HPM(3)+Excellency(2)+Stunt(2)
    Instill Fear - (14d10)[4][9][9][4][1][1][1][8][2][3][7][6][1][2](58)
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Jai winces, just for a moment, as something of the raw, anguished fury of Ivory Knife's attack grazes his own ears, but in another heartbeat's time his enthusiasm has come back, and come back stronger.

    "What? Was? THAT!?!" he yells, in unbridled glee.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 10

    ...the bird indeed...

    Tuoni is blown a half-step backwards by the power of Ivory Knife's voice, the notes skittering across his skin like razor-sharp spiderwebs. They burrowed inwards, and he felt trickles of blood run from his ears as he gasped in pain. And though he thought it'd never end, it did and he was still standing. He straightened, meeting Ivory Knife's eyes with the half-sun burning so terribly bright on his brow, and under the mask he smiled at her attempt at fear. "That... that was well struck. But we are the chosen of Sol himself - we are not layed low so easily."

    White-pink wisps of anima trailed from his hands as he spread them wide as if in welcome; for a moment his stance was low and balanced before he leaped across the weathered stones to close the distance.

    Spoiler: Charms
    Show
    Spending eight motes to activate Crane Form and five to activate my Twilight anima banner. Reflexively, he'll close the distance back to short.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 05:26 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 7

    Tuoni's bounding steps carry him inhumanly far, his feat barely brushing the arena's bones as he closes the distance. A single hand with too-few fingers stretches out to take one of hers and with all the grace of a dancer he twirls around her back, twisting her shoulder in its socket and bending her over backwards.

    Spoiler: Charms Used
    Show
    Closing the distance and initiating a Grapple, spending 3m on Empowering Justice Redirection and 7m on bonus dice on the attack. If the grapple succeeds he'll use the action to make a withering attack and spend three motes on bonus dice for the Control Roll.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack Roll - (21d10)[3][10][10][10][5][7][6][4][2][8][6][1][8][9][9][6][5][9][7][7][2](134) (9 Base + 9 Charm + 2 Specialty + 2 Stunt - 1 Injury) (14 Successes)
    Initiative Roll - (10d10)[2][8][9][5][8][4][9][9][7][10](71) + 2 Automatic Successes
    Control Roll - (12d10)[2][6][10][2][1][6][7][4][8][4][10][8](68) (7 Successes)
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 06:04 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 3

    Ivory Knife gasps as Tuoni makes the ground disappear beneath his feet, reaching her in what felt like an instant. For an instant, her eyes widen with the fear of cornered prey, and her posture shifts as if yielding, or even on the verge of surrendering. She moves quick, but not quick enough, letting her opponent's hand brush hers... before a mark flares to life on her brow, dot within circle, the sign of the Eclipse Caste. Her speed doubles as she puts up a desperate defense, swinging one arm in a block like the sweep of a bird's wings.
    To hide your emotions is to give them power over you. To embrace your emotions is to make them a blade.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending 4m 1i on Doe Eyes Defense, 4m on Torn Lotus Defense (with the HPM discount), 8m on Excellent Martial Arts. (16 motes total, anima banner ticks up... one level, I think?).

    The incoming attack takes -8 to its dice pool, Ivory Knife gains a total of +5 parry, and if she successfully defends she makes a reflexive social attack against Tuoni to add some sort of minor positive influence toward Ivory Knife - it could be respect, admiration, lust, pity, or whatever you think is appropriate. She also gains +1 to her initiative if she successfully defends, recouping the point she spent.

    Spoiler: Social Roll
    Show
    Manipulation(5)+Presence(4)+HPM(3)+Stunt(2)+Tuoni' s Essence(2)

    Instill - (16d10)[1][1][8][2][6][5][8][5][1][4][6][6][2][1][7][10](73)
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    The Sun's blessing decides the matter. As Ivory Knife's anima unfolds, burning bright with the flames of her defiance, she sweeps aside Tuoni's hand, dancing free of his grasp. There is an undeniable grace in her firm but delicate denial of his attack, in her girlish poise. And yet... was it not just moments ago that she was a screeching banshee, commanding the battlefield with nothing but her voice?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Tuoni ended up with 8 successes vs. a Defense of 12 (after the Stunt bonus is factored in). Ivory Knife legitimately did need both Doe Eyes Defense and the Excellency, however; with just one or the other she would have been hit.

    I'm not certain whether Tuoni resisted the fear from earlier or not, but if he is afraid of Ivory Knife that ought to raise his Resolve vs. Torn Lotus Defense's attempt to give him a positive Intimacy toward her.

    "Woaaaaah... she's so cool!" Jai gushes.

    "Hmph. She's flashy,"
    Mourning Blade concedes, "But her sloppy footwork... the way she keeps leaving herself open... How many miracle comebacks has she been blessed with?"

    "She's here for a reason,"
    King Harnapuul mutters, finally deigning to inject himself into the conversation. "I don't know how, but I think this is... strategy."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ivory Knife is up now, at Initiative 3. Since Tuoni is in Crane Form, he'll be able to Counterattack in response to any attack she makes. Since they're at Close range, she'll have to use a Disengage action if she wants to move out of his reach.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-09 at 10:11 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Initiative: 3

    Ivory Knife had avoided Tuoni's attack, but at great cost. She forced her breathing and the flow of her essence to steady as she prepared another attack, determined to prove that she wasn't out of tricks just yet. Taking a deep breath, she let out a wild, reverberating cry that bounced off the walls of the arena.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Flurrying a withering kiai and Terrifying Battle Shriek (4m). Using Masterful Performance Exercise (1m with discount), a two-die excellency (also 1m with discount), and a point of willpower on the shriek. If the kiai hits, Tuoni treats the shriek as if it were exploiting a minor fear intimacy, which I think means that it penalizes his resolve by one point and requires that he cite an intimacy of his own if he wants to spend WP to resist?

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack roll:
    Dex(5)+Martial Arts(5)+Specialty(1)+Stunt(2)+Accuracy(0)
    Attack - (11d10)[10][3][9][1][5][10][8][10][2][9][4](71)

    Damage roll: (11 + threshold successes - soak, overwhelming 3)
    (15d10)[5][7][2][5][3][3][6][9][5][8][1][8][2][1][1](66)


    Shriek roll:
    Charisma(2)+Performance(4)+Stunt(2)+Excellency(2)+ HPM(3), +1 success from WP, reroll 1s until 1s do not appear.
    (13d10)[6][5][1][10][3][10][2][1][1][6][1][8][6](60)
    Potential Rerolled 1s: (5d10)[3][7][10][8][4](32)
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Y’think?” Brown Leaf meant the question honestly. She was starting to have serious doubts about her first impressions here. Of course people were never so simple as they appeared, but here was the Royal offering legitimate insight, and her demure new friend tearing it up in the ring.

    At the same time, Brown Leaf decided it was time to take this tournament seriously, time to take in everything. She looked hard at the ring itself, it’s composition, how even the surface was, how much friction was in play as the combatants moved across it. What could she control, with such information, when it was her turn?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Craft with specialization and stunt (11d10)[10][10][7][1][6][2][10][3][4][5][3](61)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 7 4

    Oh, nicely don- With a flick of her tongue, Ivory Knife banished thought from his head with an ashen-white excoriation. He couldn't think... he couldn't think, let alone plan, and half-blind but unwilling to surrender he fell back on instinct.

    The foundation of Crane Style is stillness. Even when moving, the Crane is perfectly still - its motion creating a stillness that it then inhabits. Though enemies try to break the surface, the Crane returns their aggression and so returns to balance.

    A master of Crane Style can stop a bird from flying by denying it a perch...

    Tuoni moves, his hands gliding through the air as glittering streamers of anima explode into a blizzard of white swan feathers stained in thousands of pinks and reds. The little gods of the air are made sloth around him, and though the feathers dance and spin where he stands there is stillness. Where he stands, there is silence - for a moment. Because, while he is a master, the style Tuoni has mastered isn't Crane Style.

    The wave of sound washes over him, forcing him back on his heels and screaming at him to run, flee, hide, anything to get away. Only one thing stopped him. If he left now, if he surrendered this fight, what kind of story would he have to tell? Would he be forced to say that he had been invited to a contest of the greatest martial-artists in the East, chosen by the Sun itself, and lost in the first round? He knew it would be the first thing his children asked about if- when he returned home.

    Spoiler: Charm Use
    Show
    ...because how else are you supposed to block sound with your fists?

    Can I voluntarily fail a resistance roll? Because if I can I'll fail the one to establish a positive tie. Speaking of, should I fail the positive tie established would be Admiration, and I'll be using it to resist the fear effect.

    Spending 6m to raise his Resolve by 3 against Terrifying Battle Shriek.

    Edit: He'll spend a point of willpower to ignore Terrifying Battle Shriek
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-10 at 02:41 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    "The Song of the Valley...?" Wic mutters to himself in Old Realm. He'd heard of it in some of his studies: legends of martial artists who fought with a song on their lips and that spread terror with its sound. Its disciples claim that it predates the Shogunate, originating in a hidden vale that was destroyed with some ancient cataclysm, and that the legendary masters of it could fight with nothing but their voice. It made for an interesting tale, and one he'd enjoyed as a child. Yet watching Ivory Knife, something seems... off to Wirric. It's an elusive feeling, not something he can rationalize, but some half remembered fact at the back of his mind is bothering him.

    He tries to think back. He can recall asking his sifu about the style once, curious as to if it was real. Even with his knowledge of esoterica, it seemed quite incredible. Sifu laughed at that, and then shared a tale of past battle of hers, where she fought against a Haslanti bard who carried no weapons but his lyre, and yet he managed to drive back an army of frost gargoyles with just his song, which was what intrigued her enough to seek him out.

    She'd called him Nightingale. What was it about Nightingale?

    Ivory Knife's second cry brings Wic back into the moment with an unpleasant lurch. He almost falls off his seat through the shear force of the Harbourheadite's kiai, and has to use his cane to steady himself. Looking down at the arena, it seems as if Tuoni has been getting the worst of the fight so far. A part of Wirric's heart begins to sink; he had no real side in this match, but the memory of those few days in Gentlebrook, and many more nights in an arena much like this one, weigh upon the traveller. Seeing the mark upon the Linowan warrior's brow only solidifies the budding feeling. Wic has no obligations to decorum, to anyone here save Lupo, and he's been on the side of the battered and hurt half his life. Raising his hand and cane, the northerner calls out across the arena in Riverspeak. "Come on, Tuoti! She's strong, but you're not out of this yet."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (12d10)[6][5][3][3][6][1][4][8][1][10][10][5](62)Int+Lore+Stunt to Introduce A Fact: Wic's Sifu fought a Silver Voiced Nightingale stylist in the past, and as such Wic is familiar with the style. (as opposed to the surface knowledge here.)
    (11d10)[53] Presence + Charisma + Stunt to Inspire the emotion of Hope in Tuoti. PFM, if you choose to act on it/utilize it against other social influence, that's treated as a Major Intimacy. Wic can't dictate actions with this, just what you feel. And if what you feel helps you out against any further social influence... well, all's well and good.

    EDIT: Redid the second roll in the OOC. 4sux.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2017-12-10 at 10:16 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Brown Leaf:
    Spoiler: The Arena Floor
    Show
    At its foundations, Brown Leaf surmises that the arena floor is comprised of the same mud-colored shale as the rest of the island, but its upper layers have already been ground to dust by untold centuries (or millennia?) of use and wear, effectively covering over its fissures and leveling out the fighting surface. The low wall around its edges is mud brick, mortared somewhat crudely.

    Wic:
    Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    I'll allow it. Sure.

    The Peanut Gallery:

    "Playing favorites?" King Harnapuul mutters, glaring his disapproval of Wic's open cheering.

    Mourning Blade snorts.

    "And you're not?"
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 7

    Tuoni's dazzling display of motion and stillness widens Ivory Knife's eyes, and she slows down for a moment. Seeing her opponent rally, she shifts into a defensive stance again, looking like she's not quite sure whether to meet the next attack or retreat from it - but at the same time, there's a set to her shoulders that makes it clear that she's also ready to strike back, if pressed.
    He has something worth fighting for, doesn't he?
    Wirric's call echoes through the stands, she tilts her head abruptly to one side, her expression briefly flickering into something wry and... complicated.
    So do I, though. I think.
    "Think we're putting on a good enough show, yet?"
    What a grim, sad story this must look like.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Entering Black Claw form, 6 motes.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-10 at 03:30 PM.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 4

    Standing close enough to see the individual strands of hair that had fallen down around her face, Tuoni spoke so only she could hear.

    "No."

    The swirling panoply of feathers are drawn sharply inwards like the intake of some behemoth's breath. There's a sound like the peal of an impossibly-large funerary bell and they erupt along the arc of his hand as Tuoni takes a half-step forward and slams his open palm into Ivory Knife's sternum.

    Feathers now dancing through their branches, the trees on the far side of the arena shake slightly.

    Spoiler: Charms Used
    Show
    Here goes nothing...

    (This is a withering attack, since I know that's not clear from the description.)

    Spending 3m on Empowering Justice Redirection, 5m on Bleeding Crescent Strike, 3m and 1wp on Greatest Killer Attitude, 5m on his Martial Arts Excellency, and 1wp for an automatic success on the attack roll.

    Total: 16m, 2wp

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Withering Attack - (20d10)[5][2][8][9][8][6][10][1][2][5][9][2][7][7][9][1][10][1][4][8](114) + 3 (Double nines)
    Damage - (20d10)[2][6][10][3][7][3][1][4][8][8][5][2][9][2][10][7][8][9][8][9](121) + 2 + (Four post-soak damage dice become automatic successes)
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-10 at 07:41 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 6

    The peal of a bell. Feathers drifting through the trees. A cry like shattered glass.
    You still think this is just about us. I wonder which of us is more foolish.
    She blocked, of course. Raised her arms to defend herself, executed a picture-perfect block. But she might as well have been a reed trying to block a hurricane. A hot wind blew unexpectedly through the arena, heavy with the smell of the harvest and full of low, rolling murmurs like angry whispers.
    Flex, roll, yield. Disperse force, don't confront it.
    She landed on her knees, shredding the fine cloth of her garments. For a long moment she stared up at Tuoni, breath coming in ragged gasps, as the corona of light dancing around her skin grew brighter and sharper. Something that wasn't quite anger gleamed in her eyes, as she rose back to her feet. This time, she spoke loudly enough for anyone to hear as a ripple of gold washed from her body; the color of sunlight on a late summer afternoon. It pooled and rippled across the ground, giving the impression of a field of low, leafy plants blowing in the breeze.
    Let them crack your mask and think they've won, but keep your heart safe.
    "You're full of surprises, Sir Tuoni. But brutality only goes so far."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Doe Eyes Defense (4m 1i), Excellent Martial Arts (8m), Torn Lotus Defense (4m with discount). If Ivory Knife successfully defends, she gains two initiative from Doe Eyes Defense and makes a social attack against Tuoni and all bystanders simultaneously (ignoring the normal group penalty) from Torn Lotus Defense. If the social roll hits Tuoni, it deals 5 unsoakable initiative damage to him. She will spend one WP to add a success to that social roll.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Parry is six base, +1 stunt, +1 from Torn Lotus Defense, +4 from Excellency, for a total of 12. Doe Eyes Defense subtracts guile (8) plus intimacy strength (1) from attacker's dice pool.

    Manipulation(5)+Presence(4)+HPM(3)+Stunt(2)+Tuoni' s Essence(2), +1 success from WP
    Influence - (16d10)[7][3][1][2][7][9][4][3][6][8][6][7][1][5][8][1](78)
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-10 at 09:44 PM.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    It's obvious from Tuoni's voice that he's grinning from ear-to-ear as he responds just as loudly, "You're right - brutality alone wouldn't even have taken me here."

    No, I'm not finished yet.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 6

    Ivory Knife shakes her head with a flash of that same crooked grin.

    "Don't keep me waiting, then."

    And with that, she goes cold again, drawing back into her stance.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending 2i to delay.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Wic flinches at the king's comment, but relaxes after Mourning Blade speaks. He nods to the latter as he attempts to explain himself. "I always used to have to keep silent. Duties of work, aaand all that. Getting to speak my mind is... really quite refreshing." He smiles, it's true. He's not quite at ease with his... with these people just yet, but just being able to sit here with a group of equals without judgement or clear expectation is something new to Wic. He sighs contentedly as he turns back to the arena, letting his mind slip into reading the fight once again.

    It was the blocks that had been eating at him, he realized. Nightingales tended to focus more on moving away from attacks: their voices might be enough to shake the earth, but they couldn't deter the strikes of a trained martial artist so easily. Sifu had agreed with Wic's research, talking instead about the bard's quick steps and his seemingly reading her intent before she moved, with her giddy voice still holding the excitement and joy that fight'd brought her. And yet Ivory Knife stood her ground almost from the first moment of the fight, turning away Tuoni's every strike with ruffled hair and that desperate look. Mourning Blade had hit the nail on the head: Ivory was pulling off longshot miraculous defences consistently. When judging competitors on this level, that was probably a secondary style, something defensive. Studying a combination of techniques isn't unheard of for a skilled fighter. Take your stance and blocks from that, and couple it with the voice of the White Valley?

    Perhaps. Perhaps. As the two competitors intensify their strikes, Wic looks down upon the scene with an analyst's unimpressed eye. The bell rings, the light shimmers, the Sun turns down his eye from heaven... but beneath it all are recognizable points of interaction and counterplay. Seeing the patterns in magic was his birthright, something he'd been trained in before fighting, before all his other crafts. Elements mix, interact and catalyse. As flow liquids, so flow the tides of essence. Identify, compartmentalize and quantify: only then do you understand. The same principles can apply to martial arts. Soft strikes, hard strikes, palm sweeps and cross guards are the elements at play here. And they can be understood by the trained eye just the same

    Still, for all Wic's cold logic, the harvest wind Ivory Knife called blew some cobwebs from his heart. Reason loses to emotion, and seeing her panting for breath makes the Whitewaller wonder for a second if his entire line of thinking was flawed. But then a memory comes unbidden to the traveller. He recalls looking up from the floor of a torch lit amphitheatre, watching a crowd of so called worthies cheering a long since passed arena fight. All bedecked in silk finery; white, gold, blue and green all cast with flickering firelight. These were the beautiful and good, the worthy, cheering at every blow struck by their beloved champion of the night. They would have loved you, Ms. Ivory Knife. Strong, but vulnerable. Beautiful but marred. The odds are always long and yet you keep coming out ahead, the perfect underdog. You fight in a way that gives them everything they wanted to see in a champion. The Old Man would've been beside himself. You'd have made the perfect hero to face the monsters of Creation's rim.

    Wirric's thumb rubs against the golden fangs that cap his walking stick. This really is all far too familiar to him. And in ways that he does not enjoy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, I literally get to use the Armour of Contempt!

    That's Wic's base Resolve of 4 +2 for lack of a shared language, +3 for his Major Intimacy (The Crowd: Contempt). Plus a stunt bonus?

    Gonna make a roll to analyse Ivory's style a little more in light of what Wic knows, trying to find the second style through IDing which techniques aren't Silver Voiced Nightingale. Stunted this with Wic using his Occult skill to see the patterns beneath their essence expenditure, but rolling Martial Arts as the normal way to do this. And it doesn't change the dicepool in practice.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (10d10)[10][3][7][8][5][3][2][8][9][1](56)Perception 3 + Martial Arts 5 + Stunt 2

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    King Harnapuul allows himself a faint smile. While Ivory Knife's display doesn't do anything to strengthen the respect he already holds for her, it does help justify his decision to support her. What depths of strength, from such a poised lady!

    Jai's eyes grow even bigger, if such a thing is possible. His reaction can only be described as awe.

    Mourning Blade's lips curl into a scowl as she hardens her heart against any sympathy for Ivory Knife.

    'She's too... perfectly pitiful,' she thinks, with scorn, 'it's disgusting.'

    Under the divine pavilion, the gods and Lupo remain inscrutable.

    Spoiler: Wic
    Show
    Watching Ivory Knife's perfect performance of vulnerability, Wic is reminded of a fragment of verse he once heard...

    Once, there was a maiden...
    ...who wasn't a maiden at all.
    She was a creature of the woodlands,
    But no spirit of Wood.
    Her sapphire eyes and her kindly smiles were a mask.
    She laughed a cruel laugh as she kissed her bride.
    "Love is also an ending," she said.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-11 at 08:06 AM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Initiative: 2

    Sliding back into his own stance of outstretched arms, Tuoni traces a careful half-circle around Ivory Knife and watches for an opening.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm delaying as well. There should be a post in OOC soon regarding what happens next, but suffice to say it's Ivory Knife's move and the round isn't over.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-11 at 11:00 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 5

    The two fighters circle each other for a few moments, both waiting, but they can only wait so long. Tension builds in the air until Ivory Knife finally strikes, darting in - not with a kiai, but with a clawed hand thrust at Tuoni's chest.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Withering unarmed attack.

    Spoiler: Roll
    Show

    Martial arts (5)+Dex(5)+Specialty(1)+Accuracy(4)+Stunt(2), one WP for +1 success.
    (17d10)[7][9][3][6][9][5][9][6][10][1][5][3][8][3][8][1][10](103)

    Base damage is 9 before threshold successes/soak, overwhelming 1.
    (15d10)[8][10][2][3][5][4][3][4][4][10][5][3][5][7][10](83)


    Spoiler: Defense
    Show
    I can't really stunt defense until I see the attack, but, uh, take it on faith that I will? Ivory Knife will be using 6 Evasion +1 Form +1 stunt, and Doe Eyes Defense for -9 to Tuoni's roll.[/roll]
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-11 at 01:03 PM.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pfm1995's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 2

    Tuoni twists to the side so that Ivory Knife's blow glances over his shoulder, while with one hand he reaches out and pulls her lead foot across her center line.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending 6m on Parry. If Ivory Knife's attack still makes it through, Tuoni will spend 2m on Flickering Corona Barrier per its mastery benefit iff Flickering Corona Barrier would block the attack.

    Total Parry: 10 or 11 (5 base + 1 Crane Form + 2 Full Defense + 3 Excellency + 1 Stunt (+1 Flickering Corona Barrier) - 1 Wound Penalty - 1 Black Claw Form)

    Edit: Flickering Corona Barrier wouldn't block the attack, so the motes are going to the attack instead. Tuoni takes 3 Initiative damage, but his attack resolves first...

    Spending 7m on his Martial Arts excellency and 5m on Bleeding Crescent Strike for his counterattack. If Flickering Corona Barrier turned out not to be necessary, he'll add an extra two motes to his MA excellency for a total of 9m. Will also spend 1wp for an automatic success. His counterattack is Withering.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Withering Attack - (25d10)[3][2][10][1][6][5][1][8][9][10][3][4][3][10][2][10][3][4][9][1][9][3][3][2][10](131) + 1 (5 MA + 4 DEX + 4 Accuracy + 1 Specialty + 9 Excellency + 2 Stunt - 1 Wound Penalty) (Double up to four nines)

    Edit: That's 11 successes, or 4 bonus successes

    Damage - (20d10)[5][10][10][8][1][4][10][3][3][1][8][7][2][6][6][2][9][9][4][8](116) (4 STR + 7 DMG + any bonus successes)

    Edit: Tuoni did 9 initiative damage
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-11 at 02:55 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Current Initiative: 0

    Tuoni grabs Ivory Knife, and instead of dodging, she embraces him back. She steps lightly and spins with him like a lover pulled suddenly into a dance, eyes sparkling and face flushed. But of the two, it is she that comes away worse for the wear; when they part, she stumbles, critically vulnerable for a moment.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Ascension's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    "Is this checkmate?" Mourning Blade wonders. After all of Ivory Knife's seemingly miraculous comebacks from feigned positions of weakness, it's hard to trust that she's actually been placed off her guard.

    Jai, for one, doesn't believe for a moment that she's out of the fight.

    "Come on, Ivory!" he hollers, loud enough to be heard from the arena floor, "You can do it! Clobber that creep!"
    Braga avatar by Luci!

    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post

    Jai, for one, doesn't believe for a moment that she's out of the fight.

    "Come on, Ivory!" he hollers, loud enough to be heard from the arena floor, "You can do it! Clobber that creep!"
    "Now don't you be disparigin' Tuoni too hard there." Brown Leaf reached and put a firm hand on Jai's shoulder. 'Jes' 'cause Knife's all cute an' fragile-lookin' don't mean none. She's gi'in as good as she got, an while I can't be sure the details, I bet they's more goin' on than we can see down there. They're both here 'cause they's deserving, like the rest of us."

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms!

    Love is an ending all right. Wic furrows his brow, eyes darting between the pair. He mutters to himself, "This is... close." It really could come down to a final few moves. Wirric winces a little at Jai's enthusiastic cheering. I... I didn't sound like that, right? Leaving that conversation to Brown Leaf for now, the northerner turns to Mourning Blade, taking the conversation back a step "They're both talented. Their styles make an interesting contrast. Both defensive, but working very... differently. Do you think that's why Lupo chose this matchup?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •