Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default 5E: Break the Chains: Gold Eagles [OOC Thread]

OOC Thread for the Gold Eagles
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 5E: Break the Chains: Gold Eagles [OOC Thread]

I believe this to be the right thread.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Looks like this is our squad, as far as I can see:

Sargeant - Myev, Half-Orc Rogue
    Corporal - Therhime Baharoosh, Dragonborn Fighter
    Szerachis, Dragonborn Paladin
    Auryn Evanwood, Human Druid
    Akk, Gnoll Barbarian
    Rat, Nezumi Sorceror
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-22 at 05:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Reporting in, and have already started using brown but can change if anyone wants it.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

How much do each of the squad members know about each other? Do we know each other's capabilities?
    [hr]
    Spoiler: Background:
    Show
    Labelled a criminal and a murderer, "Rat" was banished at a young age after her magic Surged for the first time and created a necrotic explosion that drained her relatives of their life energy. Chased out of her homeland in Kara-Tur, "Rat" was forced into the Hinterlands and made to cross the Endless Wastes by way of the Gold Way. Eventually she reached Faerun, arriving in Thay. With nothing but the clothes on her back and her few meager possessions she could grab before her banishment, she lived in squalor, barely surviving off what scraps she could find. Her meager lifestyle changed the day the edge of Thay fell to the empire of Shar'Dalas. Seen as nothing more than another to enslave, the Shar'Dalans captured the young nezumi.

Whether or not this enslavement was better or worse than her previous life is unknown, but the revelation that she would be paid (in gold, no less!) and that with enough gold she could buy her freedom, earn citizenship and have her record from before being enslaved "become a slate wiped clean", the nezumi - addressed with indignity by her masters as "Rat" - now strives to earn her freedom and a better life, by any means necessary and no matter what it takes.
    Starting Attributes: 15 8 18 9 12 14
    Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show
    Nezumi Wild Magic Sorcerer 1

Attributes:
    STR: 8
    DEX: 14
    CON: 16
    INT: 8
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 18

HD: 1d6
    HP: 9

Sex: Female
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 109 lb.
    Hair: Black-to-White, changes daily (see Supernatural Mark)
    Fur: Grey
    Eyes: Red; glow Green when channeling Wild Magic.
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, teetering on the edge

+2 CON, +2 DEX, -1 STR
    Medium Size
    Base Speed: 35 ft.
    Darkvision: 60 ft.
    Slight in Shadows: Racial Proficiency in Stealth, Advantage for DEX (Stealth) rolls
    Craftsman's Paws: Proficient with 1 Artisan's Tools of your choice
    Swampborn: Disease Immunity, Advantage on CON Saving Throws vs. Poisons
    Starting Languages: Common, Nezumi, and (with DM's permission) Thieves Cant
    Background: Urchin
    Personality: I sleep with my back to a wall or tree, with everything I own wrapped in a bundle in my arms.
    Ideal: Aspiration: I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.
    Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
    Flaw: Gold seems like a lot of money to me, and I'll do just about anything for more of it.
    Spoiler: Mechanical Stuff:
    Show
    Trait: City Streets: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.
    Proficiencies:
    Investigation (Skill overlap), Sleight of Hand
    Disguise Kit, Thieves' Tools
    Starting Equipment:
    A small knife, a map of the city you grew up in, a pet mouse, a token to remember your parents by, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 10 gp

Sorcerer 1:
    Arcane Origin: Your birth was prophesied in an ancient text, and you are foretold to use your power for terrible ends.
    Reaction: Your powers caused destruction and even a death when they became evident, and you were treated as a criminal.
    Supernatural Mark: Your hair grows at a prodigious rate. (Alternates growing in Black to White daily)
    Signs of Sorcery: For a moment after you cast a spell, the area around you grows dark and gloomy.
    CON & CHA Saves Proficiency
    Spoiler: Class Features:
    Show
    Spellcasting
    Sorcerous Origin: Wild Magic
    Quirk: (None exist officially, and since it's Wild Magic weird stuff happens anyway)
    Wild Magic Surge
    Tides of Chaos

Spells:
    cantrips: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt
    1st-Level: Sleep, Disguise Self

Skill Proficiencies:
    Deception
    Insight
    Investigation
    Sleight of Hand
    Stealth

Tool Proficiencies:
    Artisan's Tools: Blacksmith's Tools
    Disguise Kit
    Thieves' Tools

Possessions:
    Light Crossbow
    20 Crossbow Bolts
    Spell Component Pouch
    Dungeoneer's Pack
    2 Daggers
    Small knife (kunai)
    Map of the city you grew up in
    Egg with a Bright Red Shell (Traded "A pet mouse" for extra token, hope that's okay)
    Rabbit's Foot ("A token to remember your parents by")
    Common clothes
    Pouch containing 10 gp
    Small wax-sealed vial of whiskers
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2020-03-26 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Attaching Character Sheet so that it's in this thread for easy access.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Getsugaru View Post
    How much do each of the squad members know about each other? Do we know each other's capabilities?
    That would depend on how much you tell each other about each other.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Akk's kinda close mouthed, but works very well as a shock trooper in a fight, strikes hard and fast. He's also clearly capable in a forest environment, if that's come up on the march.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Akk was a good deal younger when the tribe of Gnolls he was part of were wiped out by the growing strength of the Empire. Most were killed, but several, including the youngest, were captured and thrown into the gladiator pits of the Shar'Dalas blood sports. Being the oldest left among them, Akk tried to protect the rest as best he could, but the years of bloodshed and violence took their toll until only he was left.

No one was sure of why, including Akk himself and it was a point of amusement among his 'trainers' that he was either too stubborn or too vicious to just lie down and give up.

Time passed and new blood entered the arenas overtime. Akk was still pushed onto the sand every so often, but interest in him waned and he was increasingly forgotten. He might have just been left to rot, but one of his trainers, seeing a chance to make some money, offered to sell him into military service. That idea met with amusement until he proved effective means to control Akk, namely by having another slave brutally whipped until the Gnoll conceded to his commands.

His instinct to protect those he considered 'pack', the Elf explained, was an effective means to ensure his aggression was only vented on those the Empire desired it to be.

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show

Str: 20 (+5)
    Dex: 16 (+3)
    Con: 16 (+3)
    Int: 14 (+2)
    Wis: 15 (+2)
    Cha: 12 (+1)

Hit Dice: 1d12
    Hit Points: 15
    AC: 16

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Background: Outlander (Hunter Gatherer)
    Personality: I watch over my friends as though they were newborn pups.
    Ideal: Nature
    Bond: My family, clan or tribe is the most important thing in my life.
    Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.

Standing 6'3 feet tall and weighing 234 pounds.

Twenty years of age.

Bite. You are proficient with your bite attack, which is a melee weapon attack that deals 1d6 piercing damage plus your Strength modifier.
    Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you may, use a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack.
    Frightful Appearance. You are proficient in the Intimidation skill.
    Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Gnoll. You can also understand, but not speak, read or write Abyssal.

Languages:
    Common and Gnoll (can understand Abyssal)

Lvl 1,
    Proficiency bonus: +2

Unarmed Defence
    Rage (2 uses, +2)

Proficiencies:
    Armor: Light and medium armor, shields
    Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
    Tool: Drums
    Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
    Skills: Intimidation. Athletics, Survival, Perception, Animal Handling

Equipment:
    Staff
    Hunting trap
    Wolf pelt cloak
    Traveller's clothes
    Pouch holding 10 gold
    Explorer's pack
    Four javelins
    Glaive
    Two handaxes

Last edited by Retias; 2020-03-23 at 09:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Auryn probably works relatively well with Akk, much to his own surprise. They are both Outlanders with a tendency to watch over their comrades and an appreciation of nature, so they definitely can find some common ground.

Auryn works well as a skirmisher. He usually uses his scimitar and shield, but the Eagles will know he has some magical abilities. They will have seen him cast Healing Word in the field, or Goodberry when they're caught short of rations. They will also have noticed that he tends not to do it when any elves are around.
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-23 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Szerachis is something closer to a "newer acquisition" maybe knowing someone from the region. Paladins being what they are are mostly 'sword guys' up until third level anyway.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Rat has trust issues and likely would only tell information about her capabilities if directly asked. Also, if it turns out her having magic affects her "value" at all, then she would likely try to keep that secret so that buying her freedom is less expensive.
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'll give Erk a chance to respond before I have Ark react. He's torn between following someone who'll be on his own if he and Rat don't (albeit Erk isn't in his squad) versus continuing to keep his head down and follow orders. So how she acts may have an impact.

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Retias View Post
    I'll give Erk a chance to respond before I have Ark react. He's torn between following someone who'll be on his own if he and Rat don't (albeit Erk isn't in his squad) versus continuing to keep his head down and follow orders. So how she acts may have an impact.
    They might not know you're doing that, seeing as they're in the other OOC thread. : P

EDIT: I'm doing the same, so I'ma post in their OOC thread to make sure they know.
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2020-03-26 at 12:04 PM.
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's a point, yes. :S

I'll wait a little longer to see and then post.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Just put a reply in their thread, so hopefully Erk will notice.

Also, saw in their thread that DM wants dice rolls in OOC threads, so thought I'd repost that here:

Quote Originally Posted by Appleciders View Post
    Do we have a dice-rolling thread, or shall we roll in the game thread, or here? I want to try to eavesdrop on Erk as she talks to Athya.
    Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    You should roll here.
    Also, Jaryn, you should probably stick the player's name in front of the character in your post above, just to make it easier to know who is who.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried making "Rat" over on D&D Beyond, made an account, made the homebrew race, and yet for some reason I had to enter my background as custom despite being native to the PHB and I cannot pick Wild Magic on the class options. What am I doing wrong and should I just ignore it?
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2020-03-26 at 03:40 PM. Reason: I replied the latest, so I didn't want to double-post.
    Show
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Also, Jaryn, you should probably stick the player's name in front of the character in your post above, just to make it easier to know who is who.
    Ah, sure thing. Sorry! Still getting used to correct etiquette and all that 🙂

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

As a note. I know there may be friction in the squad, so I think it's good to note I'm happy to talk about it here if need be. I'm happy with things right now myself mind. I think it's natural our characters wouldn't always get along, they all have pasts and conflicting views.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Retias View Post
    As a note. I know there may be friction in the squad, so I think it's good to note I'm happy to talk about it here if need be. I'm happy with things right now myself mind. I think it's natural our characters wouldn't always get along, they all have pasts and conflicting views.
    I think there's going to be a loyalist/sparticus divide in the future that's going to TEAR THE FAMILY APART so let's see
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I agree that there are going to be tensions, hopefully it won't go that far though. My character Therhime will certainly be trying his best to keep the squad intact, as he is savvy enough to realise that the better his squad performs, the better his chances are of being promoted up the ranks. That is a strong motivator for him, as he is second generation military, his father being an officer in the Empire's most elite regiment (equivalent to modern day US Navy Seals or British SAS)
    He is proud of that fact and makes no secret of it. However, he keeps other things secret, such as the fact that his superiors are to date refusing to provide any further information about the whereabouts of his father, other that the matter is beyond his security clearance level.
    He is fairly even-tempered and self-disciplined (traits instilled in him by his father at an early age) which sometimes comes over as somewhat aloof and cold. However, under that facade he does actually care for his squad-mates.
    http://baldiman.mybrute.com

Peeeuuw - either you bathed in a sewage dam or you got too close to a Plaguebearer. Wait - you are a Plaguebearer! (cue hideous gurgles and wheezes)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

So, according the info we have so far, the Empire has gone and magically nabbed the recipe to make gunpowder and cannons from the American Library of Congress in Washington DC. Gunpowder tech was a real game changer across the world. Cities like Constantinople, which had metres thick walls impervious to even the best pre-gunpowder artillery, eventually fell due to cannon fire. Some of those Ottoman cannons were seriously big though :o

Peeeuuw - either you bathed in a sewage dam or you got too close to a Plaguebearer. Wait - you are a Plaguebearer! (cue hideous gurgles and wheezes)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baldiman View Post
    So, according the info we have so far, the Empire has gone and magically nabbed the recipe to make gunpowder and cannons from the American Library of Congress in Washington DC. Gunpowder tech was a real game changer across the world. Cities like Constantinople, which had metres thick walls impervious to even the best pre-gunpowder artillery, eventually fell due to cannon fire. Some of those Ottoman cannons were seriously big though :o
    Big issues for Waterdeep but rembemer Constantinople held to artillery and fell when someone opened a door for the invaders. So Neverwinter would probably just be the victim of an extended siege for the... 908th time in its history? Is that count right?Why does anyone live there?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

(1d100)[29]
    Going to Assistant Gors.
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

[roll]1d100[roll]
    Szerachis is by the tents spending time thinking himself into anger
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

messed up roll [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    (1d100)[16]
    Szerachis is by the tents spending time thinking himself into anger
    Fixed it for you.
    EDIT: Also, @russdm, how are you handling downtime (specifically training to gain more tool proficiencies)?
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2020-03-29 at 10:22 PM.
    Show
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fixed it for you.
    EDIT: Also, @russdm, how are you handling downtime (specifically training to gain more tool proficiencies)?
    Downtime, IE not on mission time, is up to you to use however you want. Since all players will be going to Tyre, for the future so far, the IC thread will function for that. As for training, let me look through the books, and see if there is anything special there.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Akk will also head to Assistant Gors.

(1d100)[40]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Auryn is heading to see Gors. Trying to learn the layout of the camp, looking out for interesting characters and any signs of lax security.

(1d100)[3]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thermine is staying in their squad's tent for now, busy trying (again) to sort out his amulet and waiting for the foragers/scouts to come back.
    (d100)[93]

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Downtime, IE not on mission time, is up to you to use however you want. Since all players will be going to Tyre, for the future so far, the IC thread will function for that. As for training, let me look through the books, and see if there is anything special there.
    PHB says on page 187 that it costs 250 gp and takes 250 days to learn a new language or gain a new tool proficiency. Likewise, Xanathar's Guide provides different rules for the same option on page 123, though they too charge 250 gp and 250 days, instead measured in "workweeks" while providing a reduction in time based on your INT modifier (which does me no good anyway). Personally, I think those numbers are a bit high and long for a game like this, but of course the decision remains up to you.

Also, just stating this for the record (and if you're not okay with it, please pm me so we can talk about it), but I am planning to have my 8 INT not be my character being an idiot and instead reflecting she's not from Faerūn and didn't really come here by choice. In other words, her low INT is meant to reflect her complete unfamiliarity with Faerūn at this stage.
    Show
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

250 days is way too many. Let me have a look at and see if any errata was made beyond the Xanthars guide book.