Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

I'm not going to be a real stickler for training times, particularly since flashbacks to past training sessions that initially took place offscreen are in-genre, but I will ask players who've not fought yet to please avoid spending XP at least until their fight comes up.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hi all! Sorry it took me so long to get into posting, I had a similar finals situation to pfm1995 just earlier in the month, and then I was waiting for a good stopping place in the action for me to insert myself.

Similar to Sticks, this is my first time in PbP, so please give tips and critiques on my posts as I go so I can make sure I get it right!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Good entrance.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Redoing roll. Confrog, not trying to upstage the good doctor here, just Wic trying to help. I figure having a master alchemist on hand should be useful to any medic, right?

(12d10)[10][10][8][4][5][1][5][2][1][5][4][6](61)

5. - Top - End - #305

I could quibble over this being a Basic project on account of it being a magical poison, not a mundane poison, but if you toss Craftsman Needs No Tools in to speed up the process I'll allow it.

You gain at least 2 silver xp, 4 if either Risi or Tuoni develops any kind of intimacy as a result of your help.

With Wic's assistance, I'll set the treatment difficulty of the poison, for Risi's [Int + Medicine] roll, at... we'll say just 3 overall, assuming he rushes to get it done before the poison's duration would naturally expire anyway.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

IIRC Wic doesn't speak Low Realm, right? Would he default to Riverspeak (which Risi doesn't know) when trying to communicate, or would he use Old Realm (Which Risi does know) since he knows some people here speak it? Not trying to complicate things, just trying to make sure we keep continuity with what we established earlier.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Hmm... neither is his native tongue. He's reasonably practiced in both, and Risi didn't exactly have a mundane entrance. Of the two, defaulting to Old Realm makes some sense, when you don't even know if you're new friend is mortal.

8. - Top - End - #308

*mumble mumble* Wouldn't have been an issue if we'd've just been able to agree on a common language, Valin. *mutter mutter*

Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whew that was a lot of rules text I had to dig through to make sure I did the medicine right lol, I'm kind of afraid of trying to do combat now.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose Ivory Knife teaching herself Old Realm out of sheer frustration isn't an option, eh?

I could pick up Strange Tongue Understanding, though...

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Confrog View Post
    Whew that was a lot of rules text I had to dig through to make sure I did the medicine right lol, I'm kind of afraid of trying to do combat now.
    Looks good to me. Tuoni will still need to rest for Wound-Mending Care's accelerated healing to take full effect, but he's definitely on the mend. Risi's treatment will guarantee 7 health levels healed by end of day.

Since Tuoni was knocked out by Bashing, he'll regain consciousness as we transition to the next scene, so pfm1995, you're free to take part in the peanut gallery during the next fight.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312

...wow. Not a single reroll triggered by Awakening Eye. That is... improbably unfortunate for Mourning Blade.

While I'm here, a small note on personal policy, since this will be the first fight against an NPC in this game. I've had Storytellers in other games who (strongly) disagreed with this, but the way I run Exalted, I will never give an NPC a Stunt bonus on any action. As I see it, Stunts are intended to give player characters a slight edge over equal opposition, and even odds against technically stronger opponents. That's just the benefit of being a protagonist. Plus, it doesn't seem sporting for me to give myself bonuses based on my assessment of my own writing's quality.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313

MonkGirl

Quick question, I thought I would have another role-play moment between finding out when I would be in combat, and rolling join-battle. Once I'd learned my place in combat, I was going to use a simple charm for a scene-long bonus. May I still do that in the same post as join-battle, or will that simply be something I'll have to do in-combat?

14. - Top - End - #314

Hmm.

I acknowledge I got a little overexcited about starting this next match, and taking a breath to get Tuoni and the others out of the arena, engage in some pre-fight banter, maybe get some initial reactions to the announcement, that's a good idea.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about leveraging that moment for mechanical advantage. I feel like scene-long buffs are scene-long... rather than Indefinite or Permanent... for a reason, and I don't know that I want to establish a precedent of letting people buff before the fight when that's a decision that benefits some fighters - Brown Leaf in particular, but also a couple others - while providing no benefit at all to some.

I can, however, see the rational argument that you would've had time to prepare yourself between Lupo's announcement and Mourning Blade reaching the arena, particularly since I described her descending at deliberate speed.

I'll allow you to activate one Simple buff now, with some reservations. I can't entirely guarantee I'll permit it again under similar circumstances in the future. (Though past the tournament, scenes will be less likely to open on combat, so you might actually find you have more time to prepare yourself for anticipated violence then anyway.)
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a half-written post to catch up on all this IC action waiting at home once I'm done running around, but while I have my phone, I might as well submit a Read Intentions from Ivory Knife on Wic's unusual reaction to the doc. No charms on this one, just wondering if Wic has a grudge against doctors.

(11d10)[4][1][3][10][9][9][7][3][4][6][3](59)

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Heh. Even the language barrier can't stop Ivory

Spoiler: Reaction
    Show
    Well, Wic probably doesn't have much of a grudge against Doctors given the fact that he himself carries medical supplies. His acupuncture needles are humbler, and he carries more salves than bandages, but Ivory saw him withdraw both before Risi showed up and took charge. It's a fair bet that Wic knows some stuff in this area too, and he yeilded control to the other Solar readily enough.

No, his reaction is a slightly different stripe, but not too hard to guess. Ivory, the student of humanity and human reactions, can see the signs of envy in the northerner's eyes as Risi's caste mark flashes and his needles flew. The southern doctor displayed the glory of Solar Medicine in a way that impressed Wic. That was something the other Solar wishes he could've done. It's safe to say that while the medical arts matter to Wic, his greater talents lie elsewhere, and that frustrates him. Risi demonstrated that, and thus ended up on the receiving end of Wic's ire, even without knowing it.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Heh. Even the language barrier can't stop Ivory
    If Ivory Knife were faced with a many-angled horror utterly bereft of anything resembling humanity, she'd still do her best to figure out whether that particular tentacle-twitch meant "happy" or "angry". A language barrier will only slow her down a little.

Anyway, thank you for the summary!

18. - Top - End - #318

MonkGirl

Okay, my Intimidation roll did not work in the IC thread, so posting it here, re-rolls to follow.

(6d10)[8][10][7][2][10][1](38)

19. - Top - End - #319

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Okay, my Intimidation roll did not work in the IC thread, so posting it here, re-rolls to follow.

(2d10)[4][10](14)
    Re-rolling with Tiger's Dread Symmetry

(2d10)[4][10](14)

Total of eight successes on wordless intimidation.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-18 at 09:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey, a point of curiosity here: what does Mourning Blade's sword most resemble in the real world? I'm caught somewhere in between the idea of a katana and a large scimitar/falchion.

21. - Top - End - #321

Since Mourning Blade won Join Battle, I'm Reflexively activating Single Point Shining Into The Void Form, committing 10m from Personal to do so.

Wits + MA + Specialty roll for her sword's Initiative:
    (9d10)[7][9][1][10][4][4][9][7][6](57)

IC post coming shortly.

EDIT: Should've probably described her sword better. It's a long katana... around IRL Odachi/Nodachi length, not quite to Sephiroth levels.

EDIT 2: Starting Initiative: Mourning Blade's sword at 9, Mourning Blade herself at 9, Brown Leaf at 4.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-18 at 09:42 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, the grappler vs. the swordslady. This ought to be interesting.

Edit: Okay, that I was not expecting.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-18 at 10:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

Soak means it doesn't matter anyway, but I accidentally flubbed Mourning Blade's raw damage on that attack, it should be two higher.

As to... the thing that happened just then, ironically, she prooooobably would not have made that reveal first turn if Brown Leaf hadn't intimidated her.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Soak means it doesn't matter anyway, but I accidentally flubbed Mourning Blade's raw damage on that attack, it should be two higher.

As to... the thing that happened just then, ironically, she prooooobably would not have made that reveal first turn if Brown Leaf hadn't intimidated her.
    I'm contributing! Also, with that Celestial Tiger Hide, Soak is at 14.

Reading after posting IC, is that intimidation roll to resist my intimidation, or to intimidate Brown Leaf?
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-18 at 10:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Iiiinteresting. That would totally be fuel for Ivory Knife to convince people that Lupo is evil if she understood what the hell it actually was.

Really though, I'm curious, who among our team does recognize the Abyssal mark? I'm thinking Ivory Knife just thinks "not Solar, seriously bad juju, wrongwrongwrong oh gods".

26. - Top - End - #326

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Iiiinteresting. That would totally be fuel for Ivory Knife to convince people that Lupo is evil if she understood what the hell it actually was.

Really though, I'm curious, who among our team does recognize the Abyssal mark? I'm thinking Ivory Knife just thinks "not Solar, seriously bad juju, wrongwrongwrong oh gods".
    Brown Leaf is having a similar reaction, but of a different flavor. Care to analyze IC? (Yes, I am the type of person who wants to show off how clever they are by having others ASK about their brilliance. Sol, I'm so conceited, but too excited to care right now).
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-18 at 10:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    That's a good question, the kind that is probably best answered with Lore rolls and/or hasty backstory modifications.

Reading after posting IC, is that intimidation roll to resist my intimidation, or to intimidate Brown Leaf?
    Intimidation is resisted with Resolve, not an active defense. That roll was an attempt to do unto others as was done unto her, but it fails, because it was a mediocre roll on a mediocre dice pool and Monks Got Integrity.

I'm contributing! Also, with that Celestial Tiger Hide, Soak is at 14.
    Mourning Blade's attack succeeds with three threshold successes, but that monster soak brings her damage dice down to 7, and her actual damage down to... 1. Because mooost of her successes were in the second half of her dice.

Her sword's Initiative rises to 11, her Initiative remains at 9, Brown Leaf's Initiative drops to 3.

Mourning Blade will spend 1 WP to extend Liquid Steel Flow's duration to scenelong.

It is now Brown Leaf's action, though I'd like to get a quick post up first with the gods' reactions to the Abyssal reveal.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-18 at 10:54 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I really really need to pick up Soul Projecting Method...

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Brown Leaf is having a similar reaction, but of a different flavor. Care to analyze IC? (Yes, I am the type of person who wants to show off how clever they are by having others ASK about their brilliance. Sol, I'm so conceited, but too excited to care right now).
    I already posted a read intentions for Mourning Blade IC, but I guess I'm not in turn order right now, so I might as well do both! Call this one a Read Intentions on Brown Leaf, no charms.

(13d10)[8][10][6][8][4][4][5][10][4][9][7][6][2](83)

...Actually, there's like no reason for Ivory Knife not to just spam the hell out of Read Intentions on everyone, but that seems crass, so I'll try to spread it out a little.

30. - Top - End - #330

MonkGirl

I'll wait for the gods to have their say. In the meantime, Eurus, was Ivory Knife's Read intentions directed at Brown Leaf or Mourning Blade?

Edit: Saw the post after I'd posted this.

Spoiler: Intentions Read
    Show
    While on the outside Brown Leaf is composed, she's shaking all over internally. She might not know what exactly she's fighting, but she has some experience with this type of essence, it disturbs her, because she knows it is wrong. More-over, that sense of wrongness is running smack into a lifetime being brought up with the objective of 'Seek and Destroy Anathema'. She's not afraid, not at all, just ready to do something about that corrupted caste mark in her face.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-18 at 11:09 PM.