Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'll wait for the gods to have their say. In the meantime, Eurus, was Ivory Knife's Read intentions directed at Brown Leaf or Mourning Blade?
    She's doing both, if that's acceptable. Eight successes to read Brown Leaf's current intentions and motivations.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Yeah, I really really need to pick up Soul Projecting Method...
    You may have overlooked me saying it, but since Tuoni was knocked out by Bashing damage, he can wake up now that we're in another scene. He's still going to be sore as hell, but you can be part of the peanut gallery.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks good to me. Tuoni will still need to rest for Wound-Mending Care's accelerated healing to take full effect, but he's definitely on the mend. Risi's treatment will guarantee 7 health levels healed by end of day.

Since Tuoni was knocked out by Bashing, he'll regain consciousness as we transition to the next scene, so pfm1995, you're free to take part in the peanut gallery during the next fight.
    Completely missed this. I was going to use Body-Mending Meditation, but I suppose there's no point now.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What would the roll be to identify an Abyssal? I don't know off the top of my head whether Risi would know what they are, so I was going to let the dice determine that.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting info on Mourning Blade. Then, for my intimacy speculation... it seems hard to believe that Mourning Blade wouldn't have some strong belief about Solars or the Exalted in general, but maybe it's not as dark as one would expect. She is here, after all, and was able to be mostly civil. So... let's speculate that she has other feelings toward Solars. Fear of their judgment, or envy of their light.

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Confrog View Post
    What would the roll be to identify an Abyssal? I don't know off the top of my head whether Risi would know what they are, so I was going to let the dice determine that.
    Intelligence + Lore, most likely. Unless you've met one personally, you'd be most likely to have heard about them through the rumors about the fall of Thorns that have spread through the Realm... though since the Realm's view on Solars is dim enough already, "Even Eviller Solars of Death!" might not have been a rumor you lent any credence to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Interesting info on Mourning Blade. Then, for my intimacy speculation... it seems hard to believe that Mourning Blade wouldn't have some strong belief about Solars or the Exalted in general, but maybe it's not as dark as one would expect. She is here, after all, and was able to be mostly civil. So... let's speculate that she has other feelings toward Solars. Fear of their judgment, or envy of their light.
    Ooh, I like that. Let's go with The Solar Exalted (Envy) (Major Tie).

I didn't have that written down before you speculated about its existence, but it's a neat idea so I'm taking it.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Ooh, I like that. Let's go with The Solar Exalted (Envy) (Major Tie).

I didn't have that written down before you speculated about its existence, but it's a neat idea so I'm taking it.
    I've been assuming that's what's going to happen half of the time with NPC intimacies.

8. - Top - End - #338

I've been assuming that's what's going to happen half of the time with NPC intimacies.
    Pretty much.

And since I'm not giving myself stunt bonuses anyway, I'm going to declare Mourning Blade's defense here in the OOC so that I can write my IC post with the resolution of the attack in mind.

Don't forget to restore 5m before your next post, Sticks, since Brown Leaf's attack will be the end of the round.

I'm using 4m on the Martial Arts Excellency to boost Mourning Blade's Parry by 2, to a total of 8.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339

Sticks, you need to declare Excellency use along with your other Charms. Your base Withering attack roll is 14 dice, Stunt dice take that to 16, but you're not getting to 20 without Charms. Increasing Strength Exercise and Striking Fury Claws only supplement damage, not attack rolls.

I'm going to calculate results here assuming a 16 dice attack roll, which still gets you past her Parry with 3 threshold successes.

That makes your raw damage... 20, minus her Soak of 9, plus 3 post-soak dice from Striking Fury Claws, for 14 dice of damage.

You got 8 successes, bringing her personal Initiative down to 1 and raising Brown Leaf's to 12.

That... puts Brown Leaf 1 point ahead of Mourning Blade's sword, so she'll act first in the new round.

Brown Leaf 12, Sword's Turn 11, Mourning Blade 1.

I knew Brown Leaf would hit like a truck, but this is beyond even my expectations, given that she only used one Supplemental Charm on the attack.

Since we're both online still, give me a second to post Mourning Blade taking this hit before you post Brown Leaf's action.

And don't forget you do regain the end-of-round 5m between your attack and your next action.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Lesson learned: don't mess with the monk.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Or, if you do, don't let her hit you.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Yea, little book-keeping error on my part, but I understand where I went wrong now. Hopefully I won't turn up a whole other crop of mistakes on my next action.

Speaking of, glancing at Mourning Blade's sword, what can I tell about it at a glance as it is streaking towards my face? What is it made of, is it channeling its own essence or being moved by hers? Also, not related exactly to the roll, but is it flying around on its own or is she still holding it?

Spoiler: FINDING STUFF OUT!
    Show
    Perception + Craft 2m on Craft Excellency + 1 (Specialty)
    (11d10)[5][7][9][8][9][9][4][2][3][10][2](68)

Edit: WHoops, shoulda been 12 dice there.

[rollv]1d10[rollv]

Edit 2: I just realized I could've avoided both of those later posts if I'd just added a / here. But I'll go with the later roll...which was a 2.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-19 at 12:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343

MonkGirl

/sigh...

[rollv]1d10[/rollv]

Edit: I'm really bad at this. Ignore this post and my shame.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-19 at 12:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #344

MonkGirl

Okay, I'm feeling pretty dumb.

Spoiler: For Real this time
    Show
    (1d10)[2](2)

15. - Top - End - #345

Speaking of, glancing at Mourning Blade's sword, what can I tell about it at a glance as it is streaking towards my face? What is it made of, is it channeling its own essence or being moved by hers? Also, not related exactly to the roll, but is it flying around on its own or is she still holding it?
    I'm not quite sure that that should be a Reflexive roll but I'm definitely getting the impression I'm not describing this sword and her technique well enough, so let me exposit anyway!

It's a katana-style sword, but the blade's at least a meter long. You're uncertain of the material, since she's kept it sheathed and the sheath is lacquered the same midnight blue as her armor, but for her to wield it so swiftly, considering its size and the fact that it's presently still sheathed, you'd wager it must be an artifact.

So far she's been using it purely as a blunt weapon, first gripping the scabbard in her left hand and swinging the pommel of the still-sheathed sword into your face, then shifting her left hand's grip further down the scabbard, gripping the hilt in her right, and swinging it down like the arm of a paper-cutter to try to parry your fist. Given what she said before the fight, actually drawing the sword must do... something.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

As a reminder, you can't edit rolls into posts. If you want to add a roll to a post you've already made... well, you can't. You're going to have to make another post. Thankfully, we have an active OOC thread!
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347

MonkGirl

Resolving that decisive attack to grapple from the IC thread, making this post because I'm still bad at forum formatting. Also, I forgot to add my stunt last time.

Spoiler
    Show
    To-hit: Dex+MA+Stunt+2 Excellencies(4m)
    (15d10)[6][8][1][10][1][6][3][1][7][8][6][7][1][8][7](80)

18. - Top - End - #348

MonkGirl

I don't think I can mess up any more tonight. I'm at my quota.

19. - Top - End - #349

MonkGirl

...Ascension...that roll...Okay, picking this up in the morning! I got ten rounds to burn and I'm not messing up from sleep deprivation.

20. - Top - End - #350

I don't think I can mess up any more tonight. I'm at my quota.
    Well, erm... you do seem to have misunderstood how Excellencies apply to rolls just a bit. When I was talking to you earlier about Excellencies being 2m for each point, I was talking specifically about static values like defenses. When used on rolled values, Solar Excellencies simply give 1 die for each mote. So spending 4m actually gets you 4 dice... which, now that I calculate it, appears to actually be what you gave yourself?

But that's not "2 Excellencies," that's just spending 4m on the Martial Arts Excellency.

In any case (Dexterity 3 + Marital Arts 5 + Specialty 1 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4) does equal 15, so you rolled the right number of dice for the motes you spent, anyway.

What we've got here...

Well, you definitely hit. You've rolled your Control roll for the Grapple, but I can't find the Initiative roll to make sure the Grapple Gambit actually works. I'm giving you an automatic success on that roll since you won the Clash, but you technically need to roll your Initiative as a pool of 12 dice to make sure you can come up with a second success so that the Grapple Gambit succeeds.

I'd say you were certain of at least 1 success on 12 dice, but I just failed to roll one with that same pool, so...

The Gambit roll is also the roll from which Iron Claw Grip generates bonus rounds of control. (Though its Mastery bonus, the double 9s, affects the Control roll instead.)

I felt overconfident about winning this Clash, so I didn't roll my Control Roll. I'll do that here, spending no motes on it because there's no way in hell I'm winning against that Strength (though I believe your control roll pool here should max out at 15, including Stunt dice [7 Str + 5 MA + 1 Specialty + 2 Stunt], since threshold successes on the attack, the Excellency spent on the attack roll, and Iron Claw Grip all don't directly add dice to the Control roll). (8d10)[5][9][9][5][4][8][6][7](53)

EDIT: As long as your Initiative roll generates one success, here's what would happen next:

1.) Your Initiative drops to 9 to pay the cost of the Grapple Gambit.
    2.) You've got at least 6 rounds of control over the grapple, 7 if you roll 2 successes on your Initiative roll, 8 if you roll 3+ successes on that roll.
    3.) You can then choose to Savage, Restrain/Drag, or Throw/Slam Mourning Blade, as per the rules of grappling.
    4.) After that, it would be Mourning Blade's sword's turn (its Initiative drops to 8 as a result of missing with a Decisive attack, but it still goes next).

EDIT 2: Assuming that a decisive slam with that many rounds of control hasn't already KOed or killed her before then, of course.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-19 at 02:31 AM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

MonkGirl

OOkay, now that Ascension has pointed out what was right in front of me and I didn't see it, time for an initiative roll.

Spoiler: Gambit Initiative
    Show
    (12d10)[5][10][5][4][9][8][5][5][6][5][7][6](75)

22. - Top - End - #352

As a note, I'm Mirroring a few Solar Charms for Mourning Blade simply because we don't have Abyssal Charms that do everything I want her to do yet. I know that the final Ex3 version of Abyssals isn't supposed to use direct Charm Mirrors like 2E did.

That said, I'm committing 6m to "Iron Skin Concentration" to create four -0 Health Levels to help absorb this damage. The five damage Brown Leaf inflicts (since damage dice don't double 10s without specific Charm enhancement) then fills those -0s and her standard -0.

Amazingly, Mourning Blade's sort of still in this fight, though Prey-Maiming Frenzy sets Brown Leaf's Initiative right back to 9.

Mourning Blade's action is next, and I'll try to get responses up to everybody's Abyssal inquiries as well.

Sticks, you can activate Tiger Form Reflexively now if you like.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353

MonkGirl

Okay, sorry it took me until now to resolve that grapple. There's a reason I cover my dice any time grapple rules are mentioned in any game, and here I am initiating one.

At any rate, edited in my charm activation, had to see if I met the criteria. Hope the description of the anima was good enough. I will admit though, when I wrote the bit about the monks doing katas, my mind when straight to this.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Two totally random questions popped into my head this morning. First, are we still allowed to use solar experience for martial arts charms? I only ask because we eliminated the normal experience taxes on martial artists, so I don't know if the dynamic has changed.

Second question, is it possible to ring out someone in this tournament? If you hurl/punt them into the ocean, or something?

25. - Top - End - #355

MonkGirl

Second question, is it possible to ring out someone in this tournament? If you hurl/punt them into the ocean, or something?
    I posed a similar question to Ascension via PM back during recruitment. It was in the vein of if someone, hypothetically, had the ability to destroy large quantities of physical matter with a single blow, again, hypothetically, if that person could perhaps win a match by ring-out by, say, destroying the Ring, or at least the portion their opponent was on.

You know, just in case such a character could be made.

He said that by default, ring-outs were not automatic eliminations.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-19 at 03:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I did have the idea, if Tuoni wound up fighting another Crane stylist, of 'First person to touch the ground loses'.

27. - Top - End - #357

Two totally random questions popped into my head this morning. First, are we still allowed to use solar experience for martial arts charms? I only ask because we eliminated the normal experience taxes on martial artists, so I don't know if the dynamic has changed.
    Even though MA is the primary focus of this game, those Charms still average a little weaker than the Solar base set (although Mastery helps), so I intend to allow Solar Experience to continue to apply toward Martial Arts Charms.

He said that by default, ring-outs were not automatic eliminations.
    I did say that ring-outs are not part of the standard rules (and they aren't), but I also said that if I were to implement them at any time in the future, I'd model them as a custom Gambit.

But again, that's just hypothetical.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    I did have the idea, if Tuoni wound up fighting another Crane stylist, of 'First person to touch the ground loses'.
    Ah, the old ‘the floor is lava’ thousand-flows technique.

29. - Top - End - #359

MonkGirl

Post for my action next round will come when I am home from work. For now, I am not going to take an action against those withering attacks, just rely on my Celestial Tiger Hide soak.

30. - Top - End - #360

Oh, just to clarify, since these are Withering attacks, Sticks, you'll need to declare / stunt defenses and let me resolve the attacks before we'll be certain what the turn order next round actually is.

EDIT: Ah, okay.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-19 at 06:27 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show