Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Ah, the old ‘the floor is lava’ thousand-flows technique.
    A combination of Graceful Crane Stance and Wings Spread to Sky, actually. Crane stylists are the undisputed masters of Wire-Fu. Well, at least until Air Dragon comes along.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-19 at 06:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Comparing those attacks to Brown Leaf's unaugmented, unstunted Parry, penalized by the grapple (and, in the second attack's case, the Onslaught penalty)... both attacks hit. The first hits with four threshold successes, the second with one.

Brown Leaf's still-monstrous soak would reduce the first attack's damage to 4 dice, but the sword's Overwhelming value, augmented by the Balanced keyword, is 5, so it does 5 dice post-soak.

That first damage roll has double 7s, so it does 6 damage, lowering Brown Leaf's Initiative from 9 to 3. That 6 initiative is not gained by the sword's initiative track, however; it only gains the 1 Initiative for successfully hitting, raising its Initiative to 9.

Against the second attack, Leaf's soak would reduce its damage to 1 die, but again, Overwhelming inflicts a minimum of 5 dice post-soak.
    This damage roll doesn't get a Charm buff, so it only inflicts 3 damage... however, that's enough to lower Brown Leaf to 0, Crashing her. Mourning Blade gains 4 Initiative to her personal track, raising her Initiative to 5. EDIT: And the Initiative Break bonus, raising her to 10.

Since Brown Leaf was attacked twice and damaged twice, she loses four rounds of control, bringing her down to four more rounds in control of the grapple.

Both fighters regain 5m, and we head into the next round, starting with Mourning Blade's actions.

Mourning Blade's turn at 10, Sword turn at 9, Brown Leaf at 0.

I may have been a touch too optimistic about this grapple's advantageousness last night.

I need to take a break, but then I'll work on a post with Mourning Blade's next set of attacks.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-19 at 07:36 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Grappling seems like a bit of an odd situation. It gives you some offensive advantages, in that you can slam people for potentially huge damage and I think you get some kind of bonus for savaging as well, but it also makes you actually a little more vulnerable. Although if you're not relying on Defense anyway it's not such a big deal.

Mostly, a soak build against a heavy weapon user is just in an awkward situation, I think...

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    A combination of Graceful Crane Stance and Wings Spread to Sky, actually. Crane stylists are the undisputed masters of Wire-Fu. Well, at least until Air Dragon comes along.
    This probably won't happen but... air battle between Wic and Tuoni would've been sweet. Perhaps we should find a way to have that after the tourney?

5. - Top - End - #365

It was called to my attention that I forgot Mourning Blade's Initiative Break bonus for Crashing Brown Leaf. That actually brings her personal pool to 10, rather than 5, meaning she acts first, then her sword's turn, then Brown Leaf.

I'm in the middle of making Ninjabread cookies, so her action post is still delayed.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366

Hardly my best work in either flavor or decoration (I cut the hole in the piping bag too large, for one thing), but I did have fun with the cookies.

IC post on the way.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Hardly my best work in either flavor or decoration (I cut the hole in the piping bag too large, for one thing), but I did have fun with the cookies.

IC post on the way.
    Hah, very nice. I'm making my huge pile of Christmas cookies tomorrow, although they won't be as artistic.

8. - Top - End - #368

Okay, a few bits of resolution...

One, I've been forgetting to post this, but I want to toss Brown Leaf a point of Willpower for the description of her iconic anima. That stunt didn't really directly aid any of her actions, but it was impressive.

Two, I'm giving Ivory Knife a three-point stunt for her last post. Her song carries even over the cries of the sword, and the nostalgia hits everybody with the force of a bomb: with bonus successes included, she's got 12 successes there, despite the penalty. She also regains 2 Willpower.

And the big one... those attacks.

The Withering attack roll was kind of absurd, and gains 9 threshold successes even with the grapple being released and Brown Leaf's stunt. Since Brown Leaf's soak cancels out the base damage of the sword entirely, that means she does 9 dice of Initiative damage.

She only scored two successes on those nine dice, however, raising Mourning Blade's personal Initiative to 13 and lowering Brown Leaf's to -2.

The Decisive attack roll... succeeds with only one Threshold success. This hurts, because had you known, Brown Leaf's got enough essence she could've negated that hit with an Excellency to Parry.

Undying Predator Roar is a good move, knocking two dice off the damage roll, but Fatal Stroke Flash is an absurd damage-adder, and I rolled well...

Brown Leaf takes nine lethal health levels of damage.

You've asked me about the possibility of taking a Crippling injury to try to stay in the fight. Don't overlook the fact that negating three or more levels of damage through a Crippling injury doubles your wound penalties for the remainder of the scene.

You're looking at these options:

- If the damage goes through unimitigated, Brown Leaf's filled in her -4 health level, and would be one health level from defeat, taking a -4 penalty to everything.

- If you lost a limb like you were talking about, her health track would only be filled in through the -1s, but her penalty to everything would be at -2; still not great for fighting. If she took any more health track damage, however slight, that penalty would immediately rise to -4 (doubled -2).

- If you took a more superficial crippling wound (negating two health levels), her health track would be filled in through her third -2 box, so she'd have fewer health levels left before total defeat, but the penalty she'd be at would be exactly the same as if she lost a limb.

Regardless, it's Brown Leaf's turn, at -2 Initiative and some kind of gnarly wound penalty. I know the mote pools on your sheet are still wrong; extrapolating from my earlier calculations I think Brown Leaf's got 13m across both her pools.

EDIT: As a reminder on initiative pools, Mourning Blade's at 13, her sword resets to 3, and Brown Leaf is at -2. If you do try to continue to fight, Crashing the sword would probably be your best bet to stay in this.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-20 at 12:52 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369

I don't have time to resolve Wic's rolls or respond to his post yet, but Tiger Form makes resolving Brown Leaf's damage complicated enough that I'm going to try to post attack resolution quickly.

No Charms on defense, and that's a 2-point stunt from Brown Leaf, so that's four threshold successes against Mourning Blade's parry.

Her soak is 9, Brown Leaf's base damage is... 17, right? Tiger Form doubles the threshold successes, so that's a post-soak damage of...

16 dice.

Brown Leaf also gains 1 WP.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Ookay, making that roll now:

Spoiler: Withering Attack damage vs. Sword
    Show
    (16d10)[1][2][6][3][1][7][10][2][4][6][7][10][1][10][1][9](80)

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that post from Valin. Getting to slowly see more of people's characters instead of backstory-bingeing at the beginning is pretty great, and that was also just a nicely done flashback.

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that post from Valin. Getting to slowly see more of people's characters instead of backstory-bingeing at the beginning is pretty great, and that was also just a nicely done flashback.
    I quite liked it, too. Handing out two three-point stunts back to back would proooobably be overdoing it, but I can at least give Wic 1 WP.

I've got an IC post coming with reactions to everything that's going on from Blade and some of the other onlookers, but I can quickly address resolution of Brown Leaf's initiative damage here:

Brown Leaf did 9 initiative damage, Crashing the sword, so it will be three rounds before Mourning Blade regains the benefit of her Form. Just the attack itself raises Leaf's own Initiative from -2 to 8, and then...

It's debatable whether this should count as an Initiative Break or Initiative Shift, since technically Mourning Blade Crashed Brown Leaf with her own action, and Brown Leaf crashed the sword's Initiative track in return, not Mourning Blade's own, but I've decided to count this as Crashing the "opponent" who Crashed Leaf regardless, making it a Shift.

Brown Leaf can roll a new Join Battle to add to her current 8 Initiative, and her action for the current round resets. Her new action as a result of the Shift still happens before the end of the round, so she doesn't regain 5m until after it resolves (meaning I think she's got 11m available, after the 2m Excellency on her last attack, though I haven't gone back to double-check my numbers in a while).

Again, please hold off on posting Brown Leaf's action until I get an IC post up, though if you'd like to go ahead and roll that Join Battle here, you're welcome to do so.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373

MonkGirl

Will do Ascension.

(6d10)[4][5][2][1][4][5](21). +3
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-20 at 04:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

...man I have a lot to read.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I quite liked it, too. Handing out two three-point stunts back to back would proooobably be overdoing it, but I can at least give Wic 1 WP.
    Aww, thanks guys. Was a little worried about it; there was enough going on this scene that I didn't want to intrude, but loved that song Eurus. It legit struck a chord with Wic, even rolls aside, and it invoking nostalgia made a little look back in time hard to resist. I do enjoy 'em. I've got one more that I'd like to squeeze in somewhere. I'll keep that on file for the moment

And yeah, finding out about everyone slowly like this is a ton of fun! I'm not quite sure on almost anyone's stories, PC or NPC, and getting to have some preconceptions keeps it nice and interesting. I mean nobody's even guessed that Wic's part of [REDACTED] yet!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'm not quite sure how to interpret what Lupo's saying...

17. - Top - End - #377

I like that there's an IC divide over how to react to Mourning Blade, but it seems to be getting just a little more heated than intended, so I want to take a quick moment here to make things worse address the situation publicly.

I'm friends with both Sticks and Inspector Valin beyond the game, and I think I've unintentionally served as a bit of an echo chamber for both of them in my conversations with them since this fight began, helping amplify their biases over the situation.

I feel like some OOC knowledge - Ivory Knife's Read Intentions, Mourning Blade's flashback, etc. - did seep into Wic's assessment of the situation, while Brown Leaf is (understandably) acting in ignorance of all that. Even with that said, though, Wic does legitimately have more reason to sympathize with her than most.

(No, that does not mean Wic is a secret Abyssal.)

I think what's really happened here is that we have a situation where emotions are running a little high and two good people's knees jerked in the opposite directions. Y'all are both among my closest friends, and I don't want to see this disagreement fester into some kind of ugly Thing eating at the heart of this game.

Hard decisions and moral ambiguity are part and parcel with the Exalted experience, but let's not get carried away and extend those issues into the OOC, okay? I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find something on which I disagree with all five of y'all, but that doesn't matter to me. What matters is that we're here to tell a cool story together.

Relax. This should be fun.

I think I'm not quite sure how to interpret what Lupo's saying...
    He's going a little philosophical and asking for your interpretations of the current fight. I aaaaaalmost left that line out, honestly, and now I'm kind of wishing I did. ^^; But the die is cast, as they say, and it's a little late to un-cross this social Rubicon.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378

Oh, double-post, but I want to say that both dramatically speaking and in terms of timing, I think it would be appropriate for Brown Leaf to have a chance to act before Lupo responds to Wic's argument. So you're still up, Sticks.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

MonkGirl

Will do. Also, I at no point felt judged by Valin...Brown Leaf, if she had been paying attention to Wic, would probably be feeling hella judged!

Post inc.

Edit: Also, yes, I have been messaging Ascension outside of the OOC thread. I have mostly been asking for clarification on rules that I don't really understand yet. Until this afternoon, I thought each box I filled in for wound penalties added a stacking penalty, so for Brown Leaf's three -1 boxes, I thought I'd be taking a -3 penalty, not just that I had three levels of damage I could take before I'd take a -2 penalty.

As far as how this fight ends, let's just say that Brown Leaf would have had conviction 5 if we were playing 2E Exalted.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-20 at 09:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

He's going a little philosophical and asking for your interpretations of the current fight. I aaaaaalmost left that line out, honestly, and now I'm kind of wishing I did. ^^; But the die is cast, as they say, and it's a little late to un-cross this social Rubicon.
    I see! I think... Ivory Knife is going to take a back seat here, save her energy to try and pick up the pieces and mend bridges once this is all finished. It'll probably be needed.

Also I'm trying to avoid spamming too many rolls, but Ivory Knife is paying attention to people, so if anyone wants her to roll Read Intentions on them so they can express something, lemme know OOC here.

21. - Top - End - #381

Will do. Also, I at no point felt judged by Valin...Brown Leaf, if she had been paying attention to Wic, would probably be feeling hella judged!
    ...ah!

Well, I have a tendency toward paranoia, so I may very well have imagined more of an issue here than actually exists. 'pologies.

Onward, then!
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382

MonkGirl

...ah!

Well, I have a tendency toward paranoia, so I may very well have imagined more of an issue here than actually exists. 'pologies.

Onward, then!
    Sorry! I have a tendency to get really into character. When I've been at the gym lately, I've found myself thinking through the fight in first-person from Brown Leaf's perspective. On an unrelated note, the gym needs new punching bags. This tendency to get into my characters' headspace means that it bleeds into my speech and writing, the latter especially. When I don't have a grade or something depending on it, I tend to write in stream of consciousness. Makes it a lot easier when you're dyslexic, not thinking about the words' myriad meanings, and just writing with instinct.

23. - Top - End - #383

Mm... Now that I actually look at this, unfortunately, Foe-Vaulting Method isn't usable here. It requires that you have a higher Initiative than your opponent (before its cost), and Brown Leaf actually doesn't. Her last attack put her at 8, while Mourning Blade's personal track is at 13.

Your best option if you want to use the finishing maneuver you have planned here is to actually go for a Withering attack now, and if you deal enough damage to put Brown Leaf's Initiative ahead of Mourning Blade's, that would both ensure that you act first in the next round and that you meet the conditions to use Foe-Vaulting Method when you do.

Alternatively, we could throw out the Foe-Vaulting and just process the attack that you made with the understanding that it isn't an unexpected attack for the purposes of Leap From Cloaking Shadows. I could fold the description of Foe-Vaulting into just an impressive stunt on an attack not actually using that Charm.

There's also one more possibility if we were to backtrack and change my ruling on how to count you Crashing the sword from Initiative Shift to Initiative Break, but I'd rather not walk things back that far at this point. (That option would likely end up leading to a Clash at Initiative 13.)
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Post inc.
    Hehe. Hella.

Yeah, likewise. No issues OOC on this. Wic's where he is far more outta sympathy with Mourning Blade, rather than from his feelings about Brown Leaf. His reactions are atypical and there's a bunch of stuff he could very fairly be called out over here. He basically had no reaction to an evil sword made up of souls crying its eyes out. And while I can make a case that's IC for him, it's weird and a very negative reaction is understandable.

I'll... admit, Leaf is a pretty intimidating fighter, and that might be biasing my decisions a little. But any negative feelings for her on Wic's part aren't likely to extend beyond this fight.

25. - Top - End - #385

MonkGirl

Mm... Now that I actually look at this, unfortunately, Foe-Vaulting Method isn't usable here. It requires that you have a higher Initiative than your opponent (before its cost), and Brown Leaf actually doesn't. Her last attack put her at 8, while Mourning Blade's personal track is at 13.

Your best option if you want to use the finishing maneuver you have planned here is to actually go for a Withering attack now, and if you deal enough damage to put Brown Leaf's Initiative ahead of Mourning Blade's, that would both ensure that you act first in the next round and that you meet the conditions to use Foe-Vaulting Method when you do.

Alternatively, we could throw out the Foe-Vaulting and just process the attack that you made with the understanding that it isn't an unexpected attack for the purposes of Leap From Cloaking Shadows. I could fold the description of Foe-Vaulting into just an impressive stunt on an attack not actually using that Charm.

There's also one more possibility if we were to backtrack and change my ruling on how to count you Crashing the sword from Initiative Shift to Initiative Break, but I'd rather not walk things back that far at this point. (That option would likely end up leading to a Clash at Initiative 13.)
    Okay, I concede that point and once again admit that I don't know how my own crap works. I will take this suggestion, rescind the decisive attack and switch out the appropriate charms for their withering equivalents. I really appreciate the leeway being shown.

I will do some editing on the IC post, and then follow up here with a double post containing the new rolls. Sorry to be dragging this out.

26. - Top - End - #386

MonkGirl

Withering Attack correcting my prior mistakes.

Spoiler: Charms
    Show
    Striking Fury Claws(6m) + Excellency(4m)
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Dex+MA+Weapon+Specialty+Excellency+Stunt
    (18d10)[1][6][4][3][2][9][5][10][6][7][8][4][9][5][1][5][6][7](98)

Damage to follow, Tiger Form and all that.

27. - Top - End - #387

I really appreciate the leeway being shown.
    Were this game happening around a tabletop, I would've just gently reminded you that you couldn't use Foe-Vaulting before any dice were rolled, so I don't see this as anything other than acknowledging the limitations of the medium we're working in. Every now and then we're just going to have to walk back mistakes and try again.

I'm going to use a 6m Excellency to boost Mourning Blade's Parry by 3. Because I'm still not obligated to make this easy for you.

Will edit results into this post after I check your dice.

EDIT: ...well. I actually parried that to the point I'd have to upgrade your Stunt all the way in order for your attack to hit. It was a cool move, but... I think it got deflected.

Dangit, me, stop playing well! NPCs are supposed to lose!

Both fighters regain 5m, and Mourning Blade starts off the next round.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-21 at 12:07 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Dangit, me, stop playing well! NPCs are supposed to lose!
    Heheh. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I suspect Mourning Blade's fighting style is a bit of a foil for Brown Leaf's. (And we all know Single Point is kinda nuts in general.)

29. - Top - End - #389

MonkGirl

It doesn’t help that I can’t roll for crap. My average roll has been under 45% successes, with only one outlier, and that was a botch.

Also, that threaten was to deepen the fear intimacy. How did that go?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Heheh. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I suspect Mourning Blade's fighting style is a bit of a foil for Brown Leaf's. (And we all know Single Point is kinda nuts in general.)
    Single Point is kinda interesting in that so many of its techniques cost Willpower to use. It's almost the ultimate dueling form; ridiculously good if you're going head-to-head in a short battle but runs out of steam quickly, especially if you're in multiple successive fights. In that sense it's kinda the spiritual opposite of Crane Style.

It's nuts, yeah, but it does have some pretty significant weaknesses. I don't know that Tiger Style gives you any bonuses to taking advantage of those, though.

(Fun fact: When I was first brainstorming characters Tuoni was a Tiger Stylist with many, many resistance charms.)
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-21 at 01:50 PM.