Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

That's a fair point about the willpower costs. It adds up. Just getting a second turn to attack with every round is incredible, though.

I briefly considered trying for a super-Resistance character as well. It does seem like a pretty fun concept. And I'm so curious as to what the other characters have as their fighting styles...

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    That's a fair point about the willpower costs. It adds up. Just getting a second turn to attack with every round is incredible, though.
    Kind of like how Crane Style gives you an extra turn just to defend... kinda. Of course, Crane Style can be used unarmed...

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Kind of like how Crane Style gives you an extra turn just to defend... kinda. Of course, Crane Style can be used unarmed...
    Crane Style also lets you counterattack multiple times per round potentially, doesn't it? That's handy if you're not in a 1v1. Also combines with Dreaming Pearl Courtesan's fan assault thing...
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-21 at 02:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Also, that threaten was to deepen the fear intimacy. How did that go?
    Oh, I overlooked it, since I didn't even open that spoiler after realizing that Foe-Vaulting Method wasn't going to work.

You've got some issues if you want to mix in social influence here. It counts as an action, so you'd need to Flurry it with your attack, and since you're not a Silver-Voiced Nightingale who's singing influence at her, that would penalize both actions. Your social influence additionally carries the -2 penalty from Blade's howling sword and the -2 penalty from your wounds, so Flurry would put you at...

...yeah, Flurrying would put you at a total penalty of -7 to your social influence roll right now.

Additionally, to intensify an Intimacy you have to be able to support it with another intimacy, and Brown Leaf doesn't know enough of Blade's intimacies to pull that off.

Single Point is kinda interesting in that so many of its techniques cost Willpower to use. It's almost the ultimate dueling form; ridiculously good if you're going head-to-head in a short battle but runs out of steam quickly, especially if you're in multiple successive fights.
    This is OOC knowledge, but Blade's actually tapped out on WP now, thanks to having spent one earlier in order to not develop a fondness for Ivory Knife. (And not being able to regain WP during the fight since she doesn't benefit from Stunt rules.)

Crane gets even sillier if you're ganged up on while Full Defending in Crane Form, since you can reply to every attack against you with a counterattack. It's a good pair for White Reaper in that regard, since White Reaper also comes into its own when you're outnumbered.

EDIT: That additionally would've actually made a Crane stylist the best counter to Mourning Blade.

I'm still a little busy Christmas-ing, but I'll get an IC post up later, with Lupo and Blade's actions.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-21 at 02:36 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Crane Style also lets you counterattack multiple times per round potentially, doesn't it? That's handy if you're not in a 1v1. Also combines with Dreaming Pearl Courtesan's fan assault thing...
    Flurry of August Leaves costs a point of willpower, sadly. You can counterattack as many times as people attack you (or your allies if you use Fluttering Cry of Warning), though only once per attack and you do still take onslaught penalties. Well, unless you're also a White Reaper stylist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    EDIT: That additionally would've actually made a Crane stylist the best counter to Mourning Blade.
    Falling Stroke Flash meeting Wisdom of the Celestial Crane...
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-21 at 02:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Flurry of August Leaves costs a point of willpower, sadly. You can counterattack as many times as people attack you (or your allies if you use Fluttering Cry of Warning), though only once per attack and you do still take onslaught penalties. Well, unless you're also a White Reaper stylist.
    True, but there are certainly worse uses for a point of WP than "make an attack, get a defense boost (with no flurry penalties), and counterattack everyone who attacks you this turn".

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but there are certainly worse uses for a point of WP than "make an attack, get a defense boost (with no flurry penalties), and counterattack everyone who attacks you this turn".
    You can kinda-sorta pull this off just with Crane Style, using Crossed-Wings Denial. No willpower cost, but it does cost a lot more motes and initiative (though you can ameliorate the initiative cost by making your counterattack a grapple into a withering throw). Also, your defenses aren't as good since you lose Full Defense. So yeah, Crane and Courtesan combo really well.

Edit: As for Crane and White Reaper, it's not nearly as good as you'd think since you can't generate halos while in Crane Form. Really the only synergy between the two is in Revolving Crescent Defense. Flickering Corona Barrier saves you some motes, but the rest of White Reaper is not-quite useless in Crane Form.

You want to talk about an instant-grab 'I don't care how much this costs' merit: You may have two Form-type charms active at once, though you must still spend the requisite motes and actions to activate both.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-21 at 02:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PFM1995
    You want to talk about an instant-grab 'I don't care how much this costs' merit: You may have two Form-type charms active at once, though you must still spend the requisite motes and actions to activate both.
    Me, I'll take cross style form weapons over that. Multiple forms up at once would be cool and powerful, but the freedom to open up a style or two can be great if you're using a specific weapon.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing as Nightingale kiais combo with exactly nothing (except social influence), I could see that being handy... multiple forms would be neat too. I'd even settle for something that gives you a mote/action discount when switching from one form to another.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

See, here's my problem. I'm in a game with ya'll, who are theorycrafting styles BESIDES THE ONES YOU BUILT YOURSELF!

I'm struggling to keep up with the rules of my own build, let alone what my opponent can do. I'll get better, but I'm also deliberately not reading up on the other MA styles until this is over so I only have what Brown Leaf can see in the thread to work from.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    See, here's my problem. I'm in a game with ya'll, who are theorycrafting styles BESIDES THE ONES YOU BUILT YOURSELF!

I'm struggling to keep up with the rules of my own build, let alone what my opponent can do. I'll get better, but I'm also deliberately not reading up on the other MA styles until this is over so I only have what Brown Leaf can see in the thread to work from.
    Heh. Could be worse: we could be talking through Evocations? There are a lot more Evocation trees than Martial Arts styles now and they can get complicated.

Mmm. I'm not sure we've ended up with any evocation users beside Mourning Blade. Odd when Arms just came out. FTR Ascension was tepid when I proposed Wic using a Warstrider. Something to work towards IC? ^^

12. - Top - End - #402

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Heh. Could be worse: we could be talking through Evocations? There are a lot more Evocation trees than Martial Arts styles now and they can get complicated.

Mmm. I'm not sure we've ended up with any evocation users beside Mourning Blade. Odd when Arms just came out. FTR Ascension was tepid when I proposed Wic using a Warstrider. Something to work towards IC? ^^
    Haha, get on her good side and help her find a factory-cathedral, and Brown Leaf could probably build one.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Someone did once write a custom MA style for use in a warstrider...

14. - Top - End - #404

MonkGirl

Someone did once write a custom MA style for use in a warstrider...
    When the Daystar was cannon, it knew martial arts.

15. - Top - End - #405

MonkGirl

Default My Gf is...well, the results speak for themselves.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just want to say that after my luck through the game, my Girlfriend volunteered to hit the 'submit' button for me on my next important roll. Before doing so, she anointed my desk with lavender oils and made quick ritual gestures. I'll let you decide how effective she was.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually have no idea; can soulsteel artifacts even be destroyed/unmade by conventional means?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually have no idea; can soulsteel artifacts even be destroyed/unmade by conventional means?
    Fortunately, we're Solars. We have unconventional means.

Personally, I was debating waking up the little god of that sword and then eating it. That may have some unintended consequences though.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-21 at 11:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Fortunately, we're Solars. We have unconventional means.

Personally, I was debating waking up the little god of that sword and then eating it. That may have some unintended consequences though.
    Well, true. But I should ask, then, if there's a way of destroying it without just destroying all the souls it's made of. I mean, maybe destroying them would still be better than the alternative, but that's subject to argument...

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, true. But I should ask, then, if there's a way of destroying it without just destroying all the souls it's made of. I mean, maybe destroying them would still be better than the alternative, but that's subject to argument...
    I don't doubt there's some kind of un-crafing charm buried in the crafting tree that could help, but I haven't more than glanced at the crafting system in 3E yet 'cause it looked way too complicated to deal with when I had final projects due. Regardless, it'd likely not be the work of an evening. There's also the question of what, exactly, we'd be setting free.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-22 at 01:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410

MonkGirl

I don't doubt there's some kind of un-crafing charm buried in the crafting tree that could help, but I haven't more than glanced at the crafting system in 3E yet 'cause it looked way to complicated to deal with when I had final projects due. Regardless, it'd likely not be the work of an evening. There's also the question of what, exactly, we'd be setting free.
    Iíll admit I havenít looked, but it seems like a worthy goal for a solar specialized in both souls and destruction.

Also, Hooray for Keychain of Creation!

21. - Top - End - #411

I've just done some fruitless searching, and it's honestly remarkable how extremely little 3rd Edition has to say about the destruction of artifacts. The destruction of Hearthstones is described (with some odd rules that seem to be mostly concerned with your base Ability levels and the amount of time you spend in the process, not so much with actual rolls), but all the places you'd expect to find artifact destruction rules seem silent.

The closest I've found is an Ask the Devs response about whether Shattering Grasp could be used on Artifacts, which still left it pretty much in the Storyteller's hands. (The only guidance being that if it's allowed, then it should count as a Superior project, same as creating artifacts in the first place [or Legendary, if the artifact being destroyed is Artifact N/A]).

My personal feeling is that it's a Mount Doom kind of challenge. Destroying a cursed blade is absolutely doable, but even for Solars it feels narratively cheap to make it the work of a Charm or just a few rolls against really high difficulties. It ought to be a quest.

Peleps Joe the Dynast's 3-dot black jade daiklave I would not be quite so protective of (even if it's been passed down his family line for GENERATIONS), but this feels like a bigger deal.

Especially if you want to give the souls peace, because that means we can't just toss the thing into the Mouth of the Void and call it a day.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412

MonkGirl

Yea, finding a way to destroy soulsteel and save the souls in it seems like a pretty good ongoing B-plot for Brown Leaf, especially if she has to carry around a blade that she hates to do so.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't doubt there's some kind of un-crafing charm buried in the crafting tree that could help, but I haven't more than glanced at the crafting system in 3E yet 'cause it looked way too complicated to deal with when I had final projects due. Regardless, it'd likely not be the work of an evening. There's also the question of what, exactly, we'd be setting free.
    Indeed, you do have to wonder... but, for the record, Ivory Knife would certainly be on board with trying, reckless or not. I've been contemplating whether or not just being exposed to that big old mess of tormented souls would have hit her limit trigger.

(Also that story is pretty great. One of the best parts of Keychain of Creation.)

24. - Top - End - #414

MonkGirl

Sorry for the late reply, holiday times be weird.

Rolling the damage for that withering attack below.

Spoiler: Withering attack damage
    Show
    (21d10)[7][4][3][10][3][2][8][5][2][5][5][6][4][6][3][3][1][2][3][2][10](94)

Edit: I am seriously never rolling my own e-dice again.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-22 at 03:33 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415

That's six Initiative damage, so MB ends up at 7 and Brown Leaf at 15 Initiative after the withering attack.

The sword-sheathing decisive attack, thanks to Undying Predator's Roar, stops at Brown Leaf's -4 health level rather than incapacitating her, so Brown Leaf is still capable of fighting, and her action is up next, at the top of the next round, after both fighters have regained 5m.

If you'll allow me, though, I'd like one more chance for dialogue before you try for a deathblow. I feel like dramatically this is all actually working out very well, even if it's not what you hoped for competitively.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416

MonkGirl

If you'll allow me, though, I'd like one more chance for dialogue before you try for a deathblow. I feel like dramatically this is all actually working out very well, even if it's not what you hoped for competitively.
    Of course! And youíre right. If this were all about competition, Iíd have gone Angry Predator Frenzy in the first round and then alternated withering and decisive attacks until I got a lucky crit.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm enjoying the heck out of this one as a spectator. And seeing Brown Leaf get serious was quite intimidating.

28. - Top - End - #418

MonkGirl

Gf just performed a purifying ritual. Hopefully any future rolls will not be so bad.

Now I just need to clean up the literal ring of salt around my computer.

Edit: Also a Tarot Card reading.

Upright Hanged man, Upright Ace of Swords, Upright King of Pentacles.

Apparently this means the past situation has caused lessons to be learned so that we can move on.

The Present contains victory and breakthroughs.

The future holds problems solved.

She just ran off to hiss at the cat, who is trying to tear into a bag of bread.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-22 at 06:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419

I believe I am going to call for a two-dice Limit roll for acting against the Defining Tie of Hatred created by Angry Predator Method there, but this is a great scene. Thank you.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420

MonkGirl

I believe I am going to call for a two-dice Limit roll for acting against the Defining Tie of Hatred created by Angry Predator Method there, but this is a great scene. Thank you.
    That is more than fair.

(2d10)[7][6](13)