Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

Alright, there it is. I may regret burning that much essence, but I'm trying to play it safe here... the worst-case scenario would be using a defensive charm and getting hit anyway, heh.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-09 at 07:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Alright, there it is. I may regret burning that much essence, but I'm trying to play it safe here... the worst-case scenario would be using a defensive charm and getting hit anyway, heh.
    I suppose that now we wait to see who won, then.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

On an unrelated note, Kung-Fu Hustle turned out to be pretty great. Probably the closest you'll ever see to Exalted martial arts in a movie, heh.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

On an unrelated note, Kung-Fu Hustle turned out to be pretty great. Probably the closest you'll ever see to Exalted martial arts in a movie, heh.
    First thing I thought of when I read Silver Nightingale was the zither fight scene.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    First thing I thought of when I read Silver Nightingale was the zither fight scene.
    Yeah, same. Or the Lion's Roar, really. The landlord is obviously a Crane/Snake master who just stunts in really goofy ways...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, I knew I forgot something else about grappling...

The grappler loses a round of control each time they are attacked or damaged (either Initiative or health track damage). So if you're grappled and attack the person who's grappling you, you'll knock at least one round off their control duration, two if you hit and do any kind of damage.

EDIT: You're waiting on a resolution of that attack, aren't you?

Let me start counting...
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-09 at 09:13 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

So you know, I didn't edit any mistakes out. Still can't believe I missed that Empowering Justice Redirection is withering only; I was all exctied about being able to auto-pass the grappling initiative roll (which is probably why it's withering only).
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 09:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

I'm mentally "editing" the roll myself. I'd need to do so anyway due to Doe Eyes Defense inflicting an Attack penalty rather than raising Defense.

I'm about to post the results IC, with some OOC commentary in that post, but I'll also mention this here:

(16 motes total, anima banner ticks up... one level, I think?).
    You can spend out of either pool, or both, at will, but if that was all Peripheral Essence your anima would actually go up all the way. It rises one level per 5m Peripheral you spend in one turn, so if you spend 10m it goes up two levels, if you spend 15m it goes up three levels, enough to take it straight from Dim to Bonfire.

If you'd like, you could go back and describe your iconic anima display. Otherwise we could just say that some of the motes came out of Personal.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You can spend out of either pool, or both, at will, but if that was all Peripheral Essence your anima would actually go up all the way. It rises one level per 5m Peripheral you spend in one turn, so if you spend 10m it goes up two levels, if you spend 15m it goes up three levels, enough to take it straight from Dim to Bonfire.

If you'd like, you could go back and describe your iconic anima display. Otherwise we could just say that some of the motes came out of Personal.
    Ah, I misunderstood. For convenience I'll say that some of it came out of personal.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Ivory Knife is up now, at Initiative 3. Since Tuoni is in Crane Form, he'll be able to Counterattack in response to any attack she makes. Since they're at Close range, she'll have to use a Disengage action if she wants to move out of his reach.
    Doesn't Tuoni need to use a full defense action to get the Crane Form counterattacks?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Her fear attempt was tied with my Resolve; the defense stunt bumped it over.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

I really need to get some better rolls on these social attempts, yeesh. Feels like I've been falling significantly short of average.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

With a Guile of 8, I was half-expecting to be worshiping you by this point.

14. - Top - End - #134

Doesn't Tuoni need to use a full defense action to get the Crane Form counterattacks?
    *facepalm*

You're right. No counterattacks.

My apologies.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. I actually think you pretty much are safe from social influence at this point, due to the retry rules. Torn Lotus Defense doesn't say anything about waiving that, so I can't really try any more instills.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

In retrospect, it would've been kinda fun to match Ivory Knife with my Drunken Boxing master idea ("She's so bad!" "Yeah, but he's even worse!") Didn't think his personality jived with Sidereal martial arts, though. (That and Snake Style is an imperfect match for drunken boxing at best.)
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 10:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

As I recall, the current devs have said that they're planning to do a new drunken boxing MA sometime in Ex3's future. I dearly (and probably vainly) hope that it breaks the RPG trend and doesn't require the practitioner to literally be drunk.

But at the very least it should be an improvement over Orgiastic Fugitive Style from 2E. I'm pretty sure anything would be.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

As I recall, the current devs have said that they're planning to do a new drunken boxing MA sometime in Ex3's future. I dearly (and probably vainly) hope that it breaks the RPG trend and doesn't require the practitioner to literally be drunk.

But at the very least it should be an improvement over Orgiastic Fugitive Style from 2E. I'm pretty sure anything would be.
    No chance. The Legend of Drunken Master ruined it.

19. - Top - End - #139

If the kiai hits, Tuoni treats the shriek as if it were exploiting a minor fear intimacy, which I think means that it penalizes his resolve by one point and requires that he cite an intimacy of his own if he wants to spend WP to resist?
    Exploiting a minor Intimacy in support of social influence does lower Resolve by 1.

Since the shriek, if successful, would force him to do something (retreat), I do think it would force a Decision Point, so he'd have to cite an Intimacy (of minor or greater intensity, but that translates to any Intimacy) before spending any WP to resist it. That much is true even if the kiai doesn't hit.

If he cites any Intimacy to raise his initial Resolve against the shriek, and it still succeeds, then he'd need to cite something else during the Decision Point.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I required to cite an intimacy just to defend if I have an applicable one? The book seems to suggest I do here:

Quote Originally Posted by pg. 214-215
    When a character is targeted by an influence roll that opposes one or more of his Intimacies, add a bonus to his Resolve based on the intensity of the most applicable Intimacy. On the other hand, if one or more of a characterís Intimacies supports an influence roll applied against him, then he suffers a corresponding penalty to Resolve based on the most applicable Intimacy.
    but makes no mention of it in the 'Resisting Influence Rolls' section beyond this:

Quote Originally Posted by pg. 219
    The Intimacy he chooses must be of equal or greater intensity than the Intimacy which supported the influence roll, and it canít be the one that strengthened his Resolve against the roll in the first placeóthe influence
    already overcame that particular source of reluctance when it beat his Resolve, after all.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 11:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Am I required to cite an intimacy just to defend if I have an applicable one? The book seems to suggest I do here:

[...]

but makes no mention of it in the 'Resisting Influence Rolls' section beyond this:
    Hmm. Looking at it again, I think you are obligated to strengthen your Resolve with the most applicable Intimacy if any are usable. This actually makes sense, since otherwise the "smart" move against influence you knew would be likely to force a Decision Point (if, for instance, you knew that your enemy's social pools would massively outweigh even your buffed Resolve) would be to hold your Intimacies in reserve to use in the Decision Point, rather than applying them to Resolve. Making you use an Intimacy on Resolve means that you can only prevail in a Decision Point if you can bring at least two Intimacies to bear against the influence. That strengthens the power of influence that compels action.

(Instill and Inspire actions are handled differently, they don't use Decision Points.)

You can also choose not to resist and let influence hit you, but I don't think you can use WP after choosing to do so... by not applying Resolve you would completely waive your right to say no.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

This actually makes sense, since otherwise the "smart" move against influence you knew would be likely to force a Decision Point (if, for instance, you knew that your enemy's social pools would massively outweigh even your buffed Resolve) would be to hold your Intimacies in reserve to use in the Decision Point, rather than applying them to Resolve.
    That's what I figured, since that's exactly what I was going to do - especially when Ivory Knife was kind enough to give me an applicable intimacy just moments ago.

Edit: Oh, I had Kung Fu Killer on in the background and realized this scene might be of interest to some of you. Admittedly, I'm pretty sure they're using Eagle Style but it's still good inspiration for Tiger.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-09 at 11:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I figured, since that's exactly what I was going to do - especially when Ivory Knife was kind enough to give me an applicable intimacy just moments ago.
    I did? I thought all my instills so far failed.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I did? I thought all my instills so far failed.
    I have no idea if you did or not, actually, since I haven't see your rolls.

25. - Top - End - #145

Guys, I appreciate the sentiment, I really appreciate your honesty, but you can look at rolls after you've declared your defenses. Rolls should not influence your selection of defensive Charms, but you should know whether something affected you or not.

The Instill Fear hit 4 successes, which falls juuuust short if I give Tuoni a 1-point Stunt bonus. His description didn't focus much on resisting fear, but it did go beyond just "I apply my Resolve," so... eh, I'll give it to him. He resisted that one.

The positive influence from Torn Lotus Defense hit 5 successes, which equals Tuoni's Resolve even with a 1-point Stunt, so unless he can apply an Intimacy against it... the fear would've actually worked for that, but it didn't land, so it's not available... it succeeds unless he spends WP against it.

That brings us to the current situation, where we're back to fear. I don't know if the physical attack hits or not yet, since Tuoni's defenses aren't yet declared. Whether it hits or not will influence the social roll, since if it hits it gives a pseudo-fear intimacy to exploit on the social roll. If Tuoni doesn't spend WP to deny the positive intimacy toward Ivory Knife created by Torn Lotus Defense, though, he could probably apply it against the Shriek.

(Of course, having positive intimacies toward a Black Claw user opens up different avenues of attack, but it would help shut down Shriek, at least.)

And I think that's all the social rolls we've had since the fight started? (Discounting the Read Intentions)
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys, I appreciate the sentiment, I really appreciate your honesty, but you can look at rolls after you've declared your defenses. Rolls should not influence your selection of defensive Charms, but you should know whether something affected you or not.

The Instill Fear hit 4 successes, which falls juuuust short if I give Tuoni a 1-point Stunt bonus. His description didn't focus much on resisting fear, but it did go beyond just "I apply my Resolve," so... eh, I'll give it to him. He resisted that one.

The positive influence from Torn Lotus Defense hit 5 successes, which equals Tuoni's Resolve even with a 1-point Stunt, so unless he can apply an Intimacy against it... the fear would've actually worked for that, but it didn't land, so it's not available... it succeeds unless he spends WP against it.

That brings us to the current situation, where we're back to fear. I don't know if the physical attack hits or not yet, since Tuoni's defenses aren't yet declared. Whether it hits or not will influence the social roll, since if it hits it gives a pseudo-fear intimacy to exploit on the social roll. If Tuoni doesn't spend WP to deny the positive intimacy toward Ivory Knife created by Torn Lotus Defense, though, he could probably apply it against the Shriek.

(Of course, having positive intimacies toward a Black Claw user opens up different avenues of attack, but it would help shut down Shriek, at least.)

And I think that's all the social rolls we've had since the fight started? (Discounting the Read Intentions)
    Yeah, should be.

27. - Top - End - #147

While I'm here, I want to clarify and emphasize, I don't hold any of the various misunderstandings we've had with the rules so far against any of you. Ex3 is an intricately complex, yea, even byzantine system, with nearly as many puzzling layout gaffes as it has easily-overlooked rules, and I know most everyone here is new to it. I expect mistakes, and, as I so recently demonstrated with Crane Form, I make them myself.

I'm just trying to keep us on track as best I can, given my own admittedly incomplete grasp of this beast of a game. It's nothing at all personal.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I should've spent more motes. Both Instill Fear and the Kiai go through.

Next round is going to be very interesting.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-10 at 02:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Is it weird that my current plan for Wic, if he has to fight Ivory, starts with 'drinking moonshine'?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Sorry to double post, but fubar'd that second roll, so gonna make it here

(11d10)[8][6][9][1][2][5][5][3][9][4][9](61)