New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: As a pure Druid, how to access Teleport?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    It's an incompletely worded ability, but it isn't actually casting the plane shift spell... it's its own thing.
    Heh, fair enough. Not like it's alone there.

Even if it had to miss the target, you can just keep trying every other round to get as close as possible - maybe by offsetting your desired target - and worst case scenario, you're still in a fast dragon form.
    This still wouldn't come close to equalling or beating an accurate teleport with a 10 minute delay, though.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Heh, fair enough. Not like it's alone there.

This still wouldn't come close to equalling or beating an accurate teleport with a 10 minute delay, though.
    It looks like a dragon with a movement of 150' that starts from a height and flies down at an angle to double their speed, who is hurrying by using the running option to bring the speed with DnD's multiplication rules to X5, would make it 750' per six second round, or about 14.2 miles in ten minutes. So that's something, I guess.

Unless this counts as a real world calculation, so that would be a total of X8, or 22.7 miles in ten minutes.

We still don't know how big this island is! Is it small, or big like Iceland or a Hawaiian island?
    Last edited by Bronk; 2017-12-06 at 09:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

What Darin said. Tree stride and a bunch of Feather tokens (or already existing trees).

At 9th level you know this 5th level spell, and can use one casting to warp around an island, up to 3000 ft (0.57 miles) per stride, nine times over 9 hours.

If the island is too big for that to help, then transport via plants is your other bog-standard druid option.

The other options would be to just wildshape into a bird (albatross can do long-distances in a reasonable time) and fly about in disguise.

But perhaps your best alternative is Dderwydd Chymdeithas Initiate feat (Dragon Magazine #332) that grants Teleport as a 5th level spell (among several other goodies).

Edit: I didn't initially see that ShurikVch had already suggested that feat.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2017-12-06 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

But there is one. It's the one you're drawing power from. Whether it's anywhere near you at the time, or even on the same plane, doesn't seem to be important.
    Do you even reading?..
    It says:
    the storm suddenly intensifies in the area where the spell was cast
    So, once again:
    How it can to intensify, if there wasn't any storm to begin with?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Stormwalk requires a storm, there are multiple spells below the level of Stormwalk which create storms. More pertinently the OP says 6th level spells aren't good enough, and Stormwalk is 6th level.

Without any details on the island ("island" gives no indication of size) or character, just Belt of the Wide Earth- if this is such a specific adventure I hardly see why you'd be able to pull up random dragoon mag or other setting stuff so your character can just so happen to have the perfect solution beforehand. If specific magic items are not guaranteed, take Ancestral Relic and have a friendly Druid give you a masterwork belt- the belt is from someone of your religious order and thus qualifies right in the feat description. You need a consecrated or hallowed site, 8 days, and 8,000gp of stuff. You can cast the Hallow yourself at 9th level if you can scrounge up herbs oils and incense worth 1,000gp. If you don't have magic items to burn, you can use art objects or straight cash. A Druid of a less preservationist persuasion could sacrifice goods in the form of valuable bushes or possibly ritually sacrificing livestock- elephants are a whopping 2,000gp each.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

The lowest level options stays create lantern archon(level 3 spell) combined with having a very low mass(and having team mates that all have a low mass too).(that or cheese like sacrifice rules or pun pun)
    Last edited by noob; 2017-12-06 at 01:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    The lowest level options stays create lantern archon(level 3 spell) combined with having a very low mass(and having team mates that all have a low mass too)
    The problem with Archon-based teleportation: RAW says: "... creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects."
    Neither you're, nor your teammates are objects
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2017-12-06 at 01:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    The problem with Archon-based teleportation: RAW says: "... creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects."
    Neither you're, nor your teammates are objects
    Mitigated with a bag of holding, portable hole, or some considerably elaborate flesh to stone/shrink item/break enchantment shenanigans.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Wild shape into an albatross?

The node spell-casting feats allow you to use notes the transport out of my third level slot. I think the seats up to feats though. As well as access to an earth node.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Intro
    Thanks, all, for your suggestions! Some (like valiant steed) I'd never heard about or seriously considered before.

I'm well aware of Eggynack's Guide and have referred to it extensively while building and playing this character. I have read the spell lists for Druid spell level 7 and below and wanted further input.

Regarding feats, Dderwydd Chymdeithas Initiate was what I wanted (and my character Uriel will likely take it after rebuilding post-personal quest) to have teleport available at L9. I read this feat before but forgot about it when making this post originally.

Island Info
    -The island is Nymm in the Faerun setting.

-The GM's map of Nymm makes it to be between about 300 miles and 400 miles across

-The terrain has been a combination of mountains, swamps, snowy plains, snowy forests, and one desert.

-This is an isle where prisoners are sent, meaning civilization's resources are scarce. There's one intact town (Frostfall), one ruined town (Old Frostfall), and a buncha adventure sites.

-There is exactly one working ship on or near this island, but it's a highish level quest for us to get it.

-It is open to planar travel (like via plane shift) for those who can access such abilities. (Our group of level 6ish can't do that yet.)

-Flying for prolonged periods to escape this island proved impossible for the last Wizard who tried it. He just wrapped around the other side like he were in a Pac-Man maze. (We found his diary.)

Party
    -We have a party of 6 PCs, 1 animal companion, 1 GMPC helper, and some NPCs in the background we could rotate in if we wanted. Our main party (who just got an opportunity to level to 6 last session) has been...

--Uriel, Human Druid6. He's a bit of everything aside from traps and scouting. Wild Shape recently happened and Natural Spell came to him last session. Once he completes his personal quest, he'll rebuild around level 8 (with GM permission of course) to Druid5/Planar Shepherd of LamanniaX. Uriel has Craft Wondrous Item and has made 2 Healing Belts for the group, but our group has been hesitant to spend more time not gaining EXP. My player knowledge of D&D 3.x has been akin to that of a college major, but more in studying optimization theory than playing.

---Kelly, Riding Dog Animal Companion. She's been the group's favorite pet and off-tank/off-DPS. When it's convenient, I planned to swap her Riding Dog form for Dire Eagle form since long-term flight is handy and the GM has let us respec feats and skills from default for newly-gained animal companions. No Natural Bond feat due to the GM's interpretation.

--Illias, Human Cleric of Heironeous6. He's been 'clank the tank,' or the guy who's primarily acted as the group's main tank. His D&D knowledge has largely been of the core rules and nothing else.

--Salutis, Bladeling Paladin of Heironeous5. Early in the campaign, we beat his Bladeling group into submission and purposely spared one for information. He was willing and able to convert from his position as an Underdark slave to learning what it meant to be [Good]. He's the disciple of Illias and our secondary tank.

--Rudy Clay, Silverbrow Human Bard2/Healer3/Mystic Theurge1. Originally a full Bard going for Sublime Chord, the GM respecced her to do more support stuff in combat after she finished her personal quest at L5. She's loved her Dragonfire Inspiration +4d6 (Bard1 + inspirational boost + Song of the Heart feat + how the GM ruled the Words of Creation feat) and the group has too.

--Haroun, Human Warmage6 going Sand Shaper after rebuilding post-personal quest. He's artillery and fine with it. His spells have been surprisingly useful (despite his class's tier 4 status) since having spontaneous damage spells has helped against swarms. He's played Warmages before, and his D&D 3.x knowledge has been enough for what he's tried to do.

--Blake, Wood Elf Scout/Ranger mix. He's new to the group and acting as our group's trapper since the previous player quit due to being too busy with work. He wants archery to the max and seemingly doesn't yet understand the power of buff and utility spells. Despite GMing for about 4 years, his D&D knowledge has largely been of the core rules and nothing else.

--Pitac, Phrenic Neraph Psychic Rogue1/Barbarian1/Swordsage4 after rebuilding. (He's just Swordsage4/Barbarian1 now and can level to 6.) He's been our group's 'ninja,' sneaker, and main physical DPS. (The GM gave him the Phrenic template as part of his personal quest except for the stat increases.) So far, he's been the group's main DPS, but Uriel's Wild Shape is changing that. His D&D knowledge started very low (initially insisting on being a Human Monk with Vow of Poverty), but we've talked extensively and he's learned a lot; hence, the Neraph Psychic Rogue1/Barbarian1 (with Pounce and Whirling Frenzy)/Swordsage4.

Campaign Info
    -This campaign has been Undead-heavy, but has had plenty of other creature types. Most things we've faced have been type-immune to crits.

-We've been on a strict in-game timer. Undead are scheduled to overrun the island at the end of Armageddon's Clock around day 80. (We're on day 28.) We want to traverse this isle quickly and possibly warp out.

-This campaign is scheduled to last until level 20ish and span Faerun and the planes, BUT this Nymm Island section is scheduled to last until level 11 or thereabouts depending on what we do. (We've seen the adventure sites and quest descriptions and we're likely to be, at max, level 11 or thereabouts before Armageddon's Clock expires and the invasion hits; hence, the desire to get teleport ASAP.)

-Generally, all official material from books, web, and magazines is available, but the GM said he would more thoroughly scrutinize magazine material.

-Likely no Leadership. The GM has enough characters and units to consider already.

-Magic items have been scarce. Most items have been scrolls or partially-charged wands.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2017-12-10 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like a dragon with a movement of 150' that starts from a height and flies down at an angle to double their speed, who is hurrying by using the running option to bring the speed with DnD's multiplication rules to X5, would make it 750' per six second round, or about 14.2 miles in ten minutes. So that's something, I guess.

Unless this counts as a real world calculation, so that would be a total of X8, or 22.7 miles in ten minutes.

We still don't know how big this island is! Is it small, or big like Iceland or a Hawaiian island?
    I'm not sure you're allowed to use run speeds for overland movement; there's a table of true dragon overland move speeds.

Even if so, it's 5d100 miles off-target with Plane Shift, you'll be lucky to roll less than 14!

Do you even reading?..
    It says:So, once again:
    How it can to intensify, if there wasn't any storm to begin with?
    No need to be rude, now, is there?

What part of the spell says that a storm needs to be present in order for the spell to function?

The part you're quoting looks like the spell effect, to me. Parts of a spell can fail to come about when you cast it due to local conditions; that's OK. It doesn't negate the other parts of the effect as a general rule.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    -The island is Nymm in the Faerun setting.

-This is an isle where prisoners are sent, meaning civilization's resources are scarce. There's one intact town (Frostfall), one ruined town (Old Frostfall), and a buncha adventure sites.

-It is open to planar travel (like via plane shift) for those who can access such abilities. (Our group of level 6ish can't do that yet.)

-Flying for prolonged periods to escape this island proved impossible for the last Wizard who tried it. He just wrapped around the other side like he were in a Pac-Man maze. (We found his diary.)
    This sounds so familiar, but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere. Any idea where your DM got this from?

I'm not sure you're allowed to use run speeds for overland movement; there's a table of true dragon overland move speeds.

Even if so, it's 5d100 miles off-target with Plane Shift, you'll be lucky to roll less than 14!
    In this case, it's not for that long, and the idea is that you'd pop out at a high altitude and be gliding downwards the entire time.

The idea is that if the DM ruled that the supernatural ability worked exactly like the plane shift spell, you'd make more than one attempt, and use tricks like putting an offset on your destination... but it should be it's own power anyway, without the chance for missing the target. Of course, in that case, it would probably be personal use only, and he'd have to use tricks to take passengers. It would also come online at level six, and it happens that they're at level six now. Maybe they could retrain that last feat...

On the other hand, it's a moot point if the DM only has a game planned for adventuring on this one island for now. I mean, he'd be able to leave whenever he wanted, but then what? It would probably just ruin everyone's fun. I'm glad a solution was found with that initiate feat.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The GM is very well prepared for this campaign, on this island and beyond!
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

No need to be rude, now, is there?

What part of the spell says that a storm needs to be present in order for the spell to function?
    It says it draws on the power of a storm to teleport in the first sentence. No storm = no teleport. The 2nd sentence presumes the existence of a storm before it can intensify it. No storm = no intensified storm = still no teleport.

He's probably frustrated at the sheer level of ridiculous, not rude. Perhaps a bit incredulous that anyone could actually believe someone needs to be told in the rules that something can't function without its source.

Tree stride is 5th level anyway.

I found node door, druid 3, Champions of Ruin pg. 32 or Underdark pg. 59. But that requires a feat plus knowing the location of 2 natural nodes on and off the island. I found a few others that offer limited hops but I wouldn't be surprised if your DM gave those the pacman wrap around too. That's all I could find for actual Conjuration (teleportation) spells. Planar effects similar to shadow-walk might hold something (5th level non-druid, but maybe something else similar). Or indirect ways of teleporting without the spell itself somehow. Items could do it too. Like 21,000 gp for a set of ivory goat figurines of wondrous power (DMG). Maybe there's something cheaper.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2017-12-10 at 09:00 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    It says it draws on the power of a storm to teleport in the first sentence. No storm = no teleport.
    Your conclusion is not supported by your premise. As well, you didn't state the rest of your conclusion, which would make that more obvious: you conclude that no storm in the area precludes the spell's function. There's nothing to support that; and there will always be storms somewhere to draw on - you can draw a parallel with various spells that draw on nonspecific draconic, elemental, planar, or divine power, if you like. I refer to this in one of my earlier posts, perhaps you missed it.

2nd sentence presumes the existence of a storm before it can intensify it. No storm = no intensified storm = still no teleport.
    Your conclusion is not supported by your premise.

He's probably frustrated at the sheer level of ridiculous, not rude.
    The latter isn't precluded by the former, so you're mistaken to make this assertion.

Perhaps a bit incredulous that anyone could actually believe someone needs to be told in the rules that something can't function without its source.
    Again, this is irrelevant.

Nothing in the spell specifies you be near a storm, so you're merely repeating yourself without restating your premises, which themselves are not supported by the text.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You can, but you have to get immunity to fatigue, or you'll collapse a few minutes in. Undead, for example, are explicitly called out as being able to run at full speed all day, on account of their Con --.

Wild Shape into a mercury dragon can get you a 250' fly speed, so that's about 1000' per round, or 2000' if descending (good for travelling across small islands without plane shift). However, Dragon Wild Shape requires 15 ranks in Knowledge (nature), and that's out of reach at ECL 9-11.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2017-12-11 at 09:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

The part you're quoting looks like the spell effect, to me. Parts of a spell can fail to come about when you cast it due to local conditions; that's OK. It doesn't negate the other parts of the effect as a general rule.
    By your "reading", you can even cast it, say, in the Underdark
    "So what if there is currently no storm in Underdark, never wasn't, and never will happen? But somewhere, right now, it's certainly going!"

In short: the spell is badly-written, and any sane DM will either house-rule the hell out of it, or just ban it altogether

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

By your "reading", you can even cast it, say, in the Underdark
    "So what if there is currently no storm in Underdark, never wasn't, and never will happen? But somewhere, right now, it's certainly going!"
    Yes, of course, the spell does allow that. It's not even an absurd thing, in the context of what magic spells already allow you to do, despite what you imply.

I'll not engage with your passive-aggressive scarequotes other than to call them out.

In short: the spell is badly-written, and any sane DM will either house-rule the hell out of it, or just ban it altogether
    That may or may not be, but it's not what we've been discussing so that's an attempt to move the goalposts.

In fact, your position until now has been that the spell is written fine, just that we have different interpretations.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

In fact, your position until now has been that the spell is written fine, just that we have different interpretations.
    When and where, exactly, I said the spell in question is "written fine"? Quotes, please!
    I just pointed certain common-sense problem with your reading of the spell in it's very own text
    Since you're still refusing to acknowledge the problem, I said my final opinion about the spell: it's badly-written
    While it may be not as bad as "invulnerable Pugilist", it's "bare RAW reading" still fly in the face of common sense
    DM, when somebody will try to use it without any actual storm going, can just say: "But there is no storm now!" Will you argue with DM?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

When and where, exactly, I said the spell in question is "written fine"? Quotes, please!
    Well, I admit I made an assumption there - since you've only ever talked about how the spell does work, rather than (as you have just started doing) talking about how it doesn't work. Does that mean all of the rest of your argument up until that point was in bad faith? I'm not sure what to make of your approach.

I just pointed certain common-sense problem with your reading of the spell in it's very own text
    Since you're still refusing to acknowledge the problem, I said my final opinion about the spell: it's badly-written
    Well, thank you for providing evidence. I don't think it actually supports your claim, but you made the effort.

Meanwhile, I have in fact acknowledged the issue you're referring to - that's the whole basis of our discussion. For you to say otherwise, now, reinforces the growing suspicion I have that you're not actually interested in the argument, and just want to exchange words. (I don't of course accept the issue, which is a different proposition.)

While it may be not as bad as "invulnerable Pugilist", it's "bare RAW reading" still fly in the face of common sense
    I have no idea what you're talking about here, I am afraid! Perhaps if you were a little more explicit?

DM, when somebody will try to use it without any actual storm going, can just say: "But there is no storm now!" Will you argue with DM?
    I don't know what you're trying to do here. Are you genuinely asking me if I'd contest a ruling a DM made? How is that relevant to our discussion?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I still think that getting a bag(does not needs to be magical) and then using create lantern archon and shape-shifting in a low mass small animal(such as a 20 pounds dog) for entering the bag is the lowest level way of teleportation.(if not ready to go through sacrifice cheese and other similar cheese)
    Last edited by noob; 2017-12-12 at 07:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    You can, but you have to get immunity to fatigue, or you'll collapse a few minutes in. Undead, for example, are explicitly called out as being able to run at full speed all day, on account of their Con --.

Wild Shape into a mercury dragon can get you a 250' fly speed, so that's about 1000' per round, or 2000' if descending (good for travelling across small islands without plane shift). However, Dragon Wild Shape requires 15 ranks in Knowledge (nature), and that's out of reach at ECL 9-11.
    I definitely missed the skill prerequisite, that's such a bummer!

I looked around online, thinking that I'd seen something about this prison island before, but I must have been thinking about something else. I did find a pay to play site with what looked like the exact background storyline posted as a teaser. If this is the same game, since everyone is paying 15 bucks a game (!), maybe double check with all the other players to make sure that any trick you use won't affect anyone else's fun.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I admit I made an assumption there - since you've only ever talked about how the spell does work, rather than (as you have just started doing) talking about how it doesn't work. Does that mean all of the rest of your argument up until that point was in bad faith? I'm not sure what to make of your approach.
    It may work - with houserules
    My houserules - you need actual storm for this spell
    Your housrules - you using Schrödinger's Storm, which is going even when it isn't
    Without houserules this spell is too unclear
    (And Teleport is available one level earlier...)

Meanwhile, I have in fact acknowledged the issue you're referring to - that's the whole basis of our discussion. For you to say otherwise, now, reinforces the growing suspicion I have that you're not actually interested in the argument, and just want to exchange words. (I don't of course accept the issue, which is a different proposition.)
    Po-tay-to po-tah-to...
    Honestly, it's look like you're both incapable to accept you're wrong, to prove you're right, and to leave it "as is" without any agreement

I have no idea what you're talking about here, I am afraid! Perhaps if you were a little more explicit?
    It's OK - after all, it's not the most well-known problem in 3.5
    Dragon #310 printed bunch of "alternative classes" based on Core mundanes and half-casters
    One of Fighter's variants was called "Pugilist"
    Important part there is - it allow to take certain special abilities instead Fighter's bonus feats, and one of those is "Shake it Off":
    Shake it Off: The pugilist develops
    non-lethal damage only and reduces the
    duration of all stunning effects by 1
    round, with a minimum of 1 round. The
    Pugilist can take this ability multiple
    times; it's effects stack.
    As you can see, "as is" this special ability doesn't make any freaking sense:
    "The pugilist develops" ... what?
    What's it's mean by "non-lethal damage only"?
    There is no point to search a sense in there - because there is no sense
    Probably, it was some severe editing error
    But some people on TO board invented "creative solution": Pugilist always takes the "non-lethal damage only"!
    (Lethal damage is either converted to non-lethal, or ignored altogether)
    Yes, just like that!
    And if you somehow get immunity to "non-lethal damage", you will be immune to damage completely!

I don't know what you're trying to do here. Are you genuinely asking me if I'd contest a ruling a DM made? How is that relevant to our discussion?
    Spell which can't be used in any real game is useless

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

To clarify, this campaign is the $15 per session one but so far has felt like a well-done video game. I'm unsure whether calling it a tabletop 3.5 version of Baldur's Gate in terms of quality is a fair comparison, but it may be close.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The Master Earth [Spell Compendium] spell is pretty much Teleport. Or as close as Druid gets natively anyways. Without dipping it's kinda hard to get it otherwise; yeah, you can take Southern Magician/Alternative Source Spell and Arcane Disciple it up or go through some feat chains to gain a Domain or Fey Circle something that gets it for you, but Master Earth is hard to beat for ease of access vs. effect. But yeah, getting it on 9 would require hrm...a lot of work. Well, one option is of course picking up some of the fancier Wildshape feats and...hmm, Black Unicorn, Archons get it but Magical Beasts and Outsiders are pretty much the hardest types to access...
    As others have noted, this is too high-level, but I'd like to +1 it as one of my favorite spells because it is not teleportation and therefore bypasses wards against teleportation.

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    Belf of the Wide Earth is not a runestaff. So it is free from its limitation and provide druid with teleport spell for 8k gold investment.
    Thanks for calling out this item - I'd never noticed it before. It actually makes it plausible to have a Sor/Wiz-free party at high levels without resorting to shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    THIS is why you carry those silly feather tokens, people!
    No adventuring kit is complete without Feather Token: Tree.

Stormwalk
    Neat spell, nice and flashy, has some writing problems, multiple people think someone is wrong on the internet.

Now then, for an actual contribution. In addition to the various suggestions regarding transport via plants and tree stride (which should be very effective on an island that size because the flora should be largely homogenous), the island is small enough that you may not need teleport all the time if you have access to Spell Compendium. Phantom stag starts you off with 180-ft land movement at ECL 9. Traveler's mount bumps that up to 200-ft land speed and lets you hustle without penalty (assuming phantom stag is real enough that fatigue and exertion are even relevant). That's 45.5 mph. Add wind at back to double that - now you're at 91 mph. It's not instantaneous, but you can really haul stag when you need to. Between that and transport via plants, you should be able to get anywhere on the island in minutes without needing any magic items at all.
    Last edited by jmax; 2017-12-20 at 08:11 AM. Reason: correcting a math flub

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ah, I'd forgotten about Phantom Stag. It's still a 5th level spell, and the spell effect isn't an animal or magical beast for Traveler's Mount to work on it, but it's the Druid's Phantom Steed.

Or rather, it would be, except Druids also have Bottle of Smoke in the same book, which is their actual 3rd level version of Phantom Steed, which is actually better in almost every way except that it doesn't gain the higher level air walking and the bottle takes up space in your hand. It's actually immune to damage and has no hit points, so if it's allowed to hustle then it can do so indefinitely even without Traveler's Mount. Actually.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2017-12-20 at 08:31 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like it'd suck to be a sorcerer and pick stormwalk as one of your spells and be stuck there with a spell that can't actually be cast unless conditions are absolutely perfect, so I'd let it work as long as they were in an environment I'd consider "outside" enough for it to work.

This includes, presumably, a large enough cave in the Underdark. I'd be hesitant to allow it anywhere underground, but enough for there to be moisture that can gather and create storm-like conditions would be my ruling.

Otherwise, why even have the spell?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, I'd forgotten about Phantom Stag. It's still a 5th level spell, and the spell effect isn't an animal or magical beast for Traveler's Mount to work on it, but it's the Druid's Phantom Steed.
    Derp. Forgot about the type restriction. Still, if the DM determines it's neither Animal nor Magical Beast, it wouldn't be wholly unreasonable to assert that (since there's no explicit Constitution score mentioned anyway), it probably can hustle without penalty on its own.

Or rather, it would be, except Druids also have Bottle of Smoke in the same book, which is their actual 3rd level version of Phantom Steed, which is actually better in almost every way except that it doesn't gain the higher level air walking and the bottle takes up space in your hand. It's actually immune to damage and has no hit points, so if it's allowed to hustle then it can do so indefinitely even without Traveler's Mount.
    That works, too, although the 10-minute cast time is a drag if you don't know you want it in advance. Being able to pause the duration limits that drag considerably, though - I'll have to add that to my list of spells to cast before bedtime if I have open slots at the end of the day. The point is that there are ways to travel beyond teleport, and build contortions probably aren't worthwhile unless you really, really need instantaneous travel to wholly arbitrary locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    I feel like it'd suck to be a sorcerer and pick stormwalk as one of your spells and be stuck there with a spell that can't actually be cast unless conditions are absolutely perfect, so I'd let it work as long as they were in an environment I'd consider "outside" enough for it to work.

This includes, presumably, a large enough cave in the Underdark. I'd be hesitant to allow it anywhere underground, but enough for there to be moisture that can gather and create storm-like conditions would be my ruling.

Otherwise, why even have the spell?
    Out of respect for the OP, this should probably be taken to a new thread if the discussion is worth continuing.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Clearly "you draw upon the power of a storm" is flavor text.

The pertinent game rule would be, "As teleport."

You can do whatever you want with the fluff, storm on another plane of existence, sunshine storm, **** storm, brainstorm, whatever. The crunch stays the same, right?
    "But what of those to whom life is not an ocean, and man-made laws are not sand-towers ... What of the cripple who hates dancers? What of the ox who loves his yoke and deems the elk and deer of the forest stray and vagrant things? ... What shall I say of these save that they too stand in the sunlight, but with their backs to the sun? They see only their shadows, and their shadows are their laws. And what is the sun to them but a caster of shadows?"
    —Kahlil Gibran
    (avatar ibid)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Nymm name: According to Races of Eberron 144 in the Moonspeaker PrC entry, "In moonspeaker lore, this ability derives from the blessing of Nymm, the largest moon in the night sky, which is said to watch over planar pathways."