New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default We're all jumping the 4e gun...

4e isn't coming out for about a year; and we have no actual facts about it...
    No rules, no excerpts, only position statements like "make races scale" and "make each level important".

So, in our rush to have wishlists and predictions of how it's going to change 3.x, aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?

We don't know the rules, and it's safe to assume it's significantly different from 3.5, so we can't assume that rules changes are going to be matters of tweaking mage spellcasting, or slightly reformatting the monk class; heck, we don't even know if there'll be a monk, or anything else until we see it in excerpt.

It's only natural to be excited, and to predict, but I think we should take a step back and realize we can't really predict the changes and rules until we have a basic framework of what 4e is going to be.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: We're all jumping the 4e gun...

I think this would be the best time to compile wish lists; before the details of the game's systems are solidified yet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think you're exactly right. I would put myself in the "hopeful and intrigued" column, but I'm not expecting anything out of 4th Ed yet.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

You do make some good points. I'd like to also use this post to those who say that 4e is gonna suck.

We know almost nothing about it. Hold back your judgment for now.

The same thing goes for the people who think 4e is going to be the best gaming system in the universe.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

The designers have released three excerpts they are vauge and at the wizards 4e forum the admins and designers are answering questions. Granted it's way to early to be concerned with it. But people are anxious.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    I think this would be the best time to compile wish lists; before the details of the game's systems are solidified yet.
    If they're going to be out in spring, then it's already too late. They should be being printed from now until January, then being staged and transported until March-Aprilish, for world wide, multi lingual, simultaneous launch.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    If they're going to be out in spring, then it's already too late. They should be being printed from now until January, then being staged and transported until March-Aprilish, for world wide, multi lingual, simultaneous launch.
    Man, and here I figured they'd made the announcement _before_ they finished it up... curses!

I guess they're 5'th edition wish lists, then?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

What, you want us to discuss this calmly and rationally?

This is the Internet, dude.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    Multi-lingual?

The German translation has been officially anounced for fall 2008.
    Are there any translations that will come out at the same time as the original version?
    Not that it matters to me, since i'm going to stick with the English edition anyway.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    It's only natural to be excited, and to predict, but I think we should take a step back and realize we can't really predict the changes and rules until we have a basic framework of what 4e is going to be.
    I don't think anyone expects their predictions or guesswork to have any real outcome, truthful or otherwise. It's just something to talk about in a place meant for talking.

Besides what's so wrong with hoping the next edition will be perfect? Saying we shouldn't 'get ahead of ourselves' is like telling an 8 year old not to get excited about what he might get for Christmas.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by BCOVertigo View Post
    I don't think anyone expects their predictions or guesswork to have any real outcome, truthful or otherwise. It's just something to talk about in a place meant for talking.

Besides what's so wrong with hoping the next edition will be perfect? Saying we shouldn't 'get ahead of ourselves' is like telling an 8 year old not to get excited about what he might get for Christmas.
    I'm not saying don't be excited, but people are already starting to break it down into "vancian magic" "30 levels" "racial progression" as though we have some substantive idea of what's in 4e when we're really just building something up we don't know.

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

12. - Top - End - #12

I for one am not happy for 4.0, all it is to make more money because they were trying to milk every thing they could in 3.5, psychic, tome of battle, races, all the setting books, know that they have no more Idea's left there changing the rules to put the same things with the new rules
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

13. - Top - End - #13

Wow. I just watched the presentation Wizards made at GenCon - and I was as overwhelmingly unimpressed with it as the crowd was.

But then, everyone's entitled to a Jaws 4.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by de-trick View Post
    I for one am not happy for 4.0, all it is to make more money because they were trying to milk every thing they could in 3.5, psychic, tome of battle, races, all the setting books, know that they have no more Idea's left there changing the rules to put the same things with the new rules
    Then don't buy it. Sorry, but you don't know any of this; you don't know what's in 4e, you don't know they're out of ideas...wait and see, then complain.

As for GenCon audiences, they're all sound and fury signifying nothing...fanboys have all sorts of random expectations and gear up to hate things as soon as they hear about them.

And opening presentations don't really tell you much, it's all "we're going to improve this" and "we're going to try and make this better" without any real substance. It's just a litmus test of how much people want something, and a D&D audience doesn't want anything...until they get it.

Homebrews:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rasumichin View Post
    Multi-lingual?

The German translation has been officially anounced for fall 2008.
    Are there any translations that will come out at the same time as the original version?
    Not that it matters to me, since i'm going to stick with the English edition anyway.
    Sorry, was using the Games Workshop model where they simo-release their stuff in 7 languages. Forgot this was WotC.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

16. - Top - End - #16

I prefer jumping the 4e shark. bring on the tank and my bike, eey!
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think you've forgotten a fundamental principle of human psychology, Armadillo:

Change means Fear. We see something new and different, we panic. Fact of history.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is something that I've seen with gaming company a few times, actually. The producers announce some sort of change or development, but doesn't present of the details or simply fails to show how cool they are. The players then assume that the change will suck because new systems tend to have some pretty massive flaws in them. Once the details come out, people realize all the cool stuff they'll be able to do with the system and become generally happy with it.

If Wizard had been smart, they would've put the first five levels of one of the base classes on the website instead of making that stupid video.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I think you've forgotten a fundamental principle of human psychology, Armadillo:

Change means Fear. We see something new and different, we panic. Fact of history.
    Well, frankly this isn't change, just new options. It's a new system, but there's nothing saying you can't use 3.5, or even 1e until the end of time.

This would be like freaking out because White Wolf is publishing a new alternative to DnD.

Homebrews:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorArmadillo View Post
    Well, frankly this isn't change, just new options. It's a new system, but there's nothing saying you can't use 3.5, or even 1e until the end of time.

This would be like freaking out because White Wolf is publishing a new alternative to DnD.
    I know that, you know that. But the whole idea of "Panic" sort of precludes rational thought and seeing obvious facts like that, doesn't it?

And as far as your new WW game example...the community of D&D players can ignore that because it's outside their sphere of attention. If it is, specifically, a new World of Darkness game, I guarantee current WoD players will hate and fear it, because it's within their sphere of attention. Similarly, D&D 4e has been thrust in the face of the D&D player community, where we cannot ignore it. Therefore, we act as any group of humans does to a change in the status quo that they cannot ignore: Fear, Anger, and Revulsion.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Therefore, we act as any group of humans does to a change in the status quo that they cannot ignore: Fear, Anger, and Revulsion.
    Damned humans. I'm so glad I'm a martian in disguise .
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to place myself firmly in the can 4E threads have their own sub forum so that I don't have to scroll past them to read the stuff thats relevant in the _now_ camp.

If there isn't a camp I just started it. Anyone is welcome.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

23. - Top - End - #23

I know that, you know that. But the whole idea of "Panic" sort of precludes rational thought and seeing obvious facts like that, doesn't it?

And as far as your new WW game example...the community of D&D players can ignore that because it's outside their sphere of attention. If it is, specifically, a new World of Darkness game, I guarantee current WoD players will hate and fear it, because it's within their sphere of attention. Similarly, D&D 4e has been thrust in the face of the D&D player community, where we cannot ignore it. Therefore, we act as any group of humans does to a change in the status quo that they cannot ignore: Fear, Anger, and Revulsion.
    I'm not arguing it with the inevitability, only the rationale.

There are scarier things than 4e (Bears, for example), we should be able to get over our fears.

Homebrews:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

AHHHH FRAK! BEARS! RUN! RUN!

I, for one, can't wait too see what 4th ed is going to be like. I have hopes and dreams, fears and nightmares. I've got "whole new world" from Aladdin so stuck in my head that I'm afraid that only knives can get it out, but then I wouldn't be able to see what 4th ed is like!
    Random Stats:
    Chickens Kicked: 0
    TPK (as Player): 1
    TPK (as DM): 5
    D20s Melted: 1

Any and all typos in the former post are the result of a sick mind on the part of the reader. Get help, man!

I was a rather heavy poster a long time ago in the old forums (heck, I helped start the old 3.5 attempt at a democratic forum campaign setting!) and I thought I'd stick my head back in. Hi again!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scalable races make no sense.

So does an elf start with low light vision, and get a free weapon proficiency with sword at level three? What if the elf is raised among humans?

That's silly.
    Avatar graciously created by DarkCorax[/CENTER]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arlanthe View Post
    Scalable races make no sense.

So does an elf start with low light vision, and get a free weapon proficiency with sword at level three? What if the elf is raised among humans?

That's silly.
    It is quite silly, and I'm pretty sure thats not how it's gonna work. From the sounds of it (all of it subject to change, of course), you're gonna get your standard stuff right off the get go, and have a set of feats/abilities you can OPTIONALLY take if you're that race...kinda like Replacement levels, but more standardized
    Random Stats:

Any and all typos in the former post are the result of a sick mind on the part of the reader. Get help, man!

I was a rather heavy poster a long time ago in the old forums (heck, I helped start the old 3.5 attempt at a democratic forum campaign setting!) and I thought I'd stick my head back in. Hi again!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I think that was sarcasm. Y'know... to reinforce the OP's statements.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Errr... Huh? I was just addressing what i thought was an opinion... I don't see how sarcasm came into it... Of course, English isn't my first language (Gibberish is) so I might be missing something.
    Random Stats:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Eh. It might not have been sarcasm.
    I don't know, either way it backs up Armadillo's point.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

CaptN: Arlanthe's main point of "silliness" is something that already makes no sense with current 3rd Edition races (racial abilities being the same despite the culture the character was raised in.) So, it's easy to assume he was kidding.

Arlanthe: Your main point of "silliness" is something that already makes no sense with current 3rd Edition races (racial abilities being the same despite the culture the character was raised in.) So, we're going to assume you were kidding.
    Spoiler
    Show