Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    New thread time, continuing from: Fallout VII: Vault Tec Calling

    So, anyone seen the project to bring NV forward to Fallout 4's engine? Last I saw they'd completed Goodsprings.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    So, anyone seen the project to bring NV forward to Fallout 4's engine? Last I saw they'd completed Goodsprings.
    No, but I like the sound of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Caelestion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baator (aka Britain)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    That'll take forever.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    And hey, Extra Credits brought up some interesting points about focusing exclusively on money and not on losing player trust...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    It might take forever, but A) FNV was built in 18 months, by a fairly small team. B) Maybe less than you think, since they're using almost all newly modeled assets, rather than trying to port the old ones over, which should smooth the process some.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    I got a few hours into FO4 last night. So far the initial plot hook was interesting, but spoiled by the fact that I already know what's going to happen. I feel like it's pretty obvious what's going to happen even if you haven't been spoiled, but maybe that's just because I already know.

    The wasteland itself feels pretty boring and uninspired so far, but I haven't seen much of it yet. Also, throwing Dogmeat at me within 5 minutes of leaving the vault feels wrong. Let me explore a bit and find him on my own.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    The north bit is somewhat empty, but it gets more crowded as you go south. It's an interesting method to do difficulty scaling.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The wasteland itself feels pretty boring and uninspired so far, but I haven't seen much of it yet. Also, throwing Dogmeat at me within 5 minutes of leaving the vault feels wrong. Let me explore a bit and find him on my own.
    My friends still don't know how I've managed 2-3 playthroughs of FO3 and never run into Dogmeat. Had to look it up.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Frankly, I almost never go there, so I rarely have him as a companion.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    My friends still don't know how I've managed 2-3 playthroughs of FO3 and never run into Dogmeat. Had to look it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Frankly, I almost never go there, so I rarely have him as a companion.
    ...You two have blown my mind. How do you miss Dogmeat, or rarely go to the Scrapyard? It's smack-dab in a straight line between Megaton and Minefield.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    And hey, Extra Credits brought up some interesting points about focusing exclusively on money and not on losing player trust...
    An excellent video. Highlights!
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Game1 is made. Game1 is good. Game gets sequel, Game2.
    • Even if Game2 is worse than Game1, it still sells more than Game1 because A) Sequel to good game and B) Increased marketing.
    • Game2, if worse than Game1, likely has lower review scores. (Like, oh, purely off the top of my head, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are Very Good and Overwhelmingly positive respectively, while Fallout 4 is Mixed.)
    • Any criticism of Game2 is shot down by devs because even if the game itself is worse, more copies were sold and therefore it must be a better game, right? Critics are just elitists; we're doing something right because the game is selling well.
    • Cycle continues--sequels get bigger marketing budgets which sell more copies, up until the decreased quality of the game and loss of trust in the company results in people being unwilling to buy the game no matter the marketing.


    But I'm sure we've not seen that in Fallout 4, right?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Because I swing east through the Bethesda ruins. Or west to Arefu. I also loop around from the north side because there's a schematic in the substation near the power plant, as well as a workbench. Plus that means I can snipe Arkansas off without worrying about mines.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    No, but I like the sound of it!
    It would only work if they could backport New Vegas' rules into Fallout 4's engine.

    So much of the good stuff in New Vegas is how it makes skills and stats matter to quests on a consistent basis throughout the game.

    New Vegas is basically incompatible with Fallout 4's "thirty six flavours of increased damage" approach to perks.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Given that the Cascade team worked out how to bring back skills, it shouldn't be impossible to fix.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    I disagree with the central premise anyway. Far Harbor showed that you can have a decent branching plotline in the FO4 engine, and since the branching plotline is by far the best bit about NV, I see no problem with them transporting it over mostly intact. Sure, there might be an occasional quest that can't easily be done because it relies on the particular way skill checks work in NV, but I'm struggling to think of one, TBH.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It would only work if they could backport New Vegas' rules into Fallout 4's engine.

    So much of the good stuff in New Vegas is how it makes skills and stats matter to quests on a consistent basis throughout the game.

    New Vegas is basically incompatible with Fallout 4's "thirty six flavours of increased damage" approach to perks.
    And I am glad it's them figuring out how to make it work and not me
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    I could make it work even with just the perks involved now. Substituting skill checks for perks would be the easy choice. If instead of randomly arguing for caps, you get a guaranteed success for having cap collector.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    ...You two have blown my mind. How do you miss Dogmeat, or rarely go to the Scrapyard? It's smack-dab in a straight line between Megaton and Minefield.
    I honestly don't know. I tend to walk north past the high school from Megaton to Minefield, but for some reason I seem to drift around the yard and miss it. Maybe it's the enemies I encounter. Since I generally hit minefield at very low levels, I find I have to run around a bunch of them to either avoid or hit from an advantaged spot.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I could make it work even with just the perks involved now. Substituting skill checks for perks would be the easy choice. If instead of randomly arguing for caps, you get a guaranteed success for having cap collector.
    Maybe, but I still think they're going to have difficulties in porting over most of the Barter or Speech checks if you want to bring F:NV over into the FO4 engine. Doable, but difficult. And it makes the introduction quests in Goodsprings far more difficult. It's not unreasonable to have 20-25 in skills across the board at low levels, but having 5-6 unrelated perks? Is a HUGE investment, especially early game. For example, Easy Pete would probably want you to have the first rank of Demo Expert to get the dynamite, Trudy might need Local Leader to get the rest of the townsfolk involved, the store owner might need Cap Collector, and Doc might need Medic. That's a broad list of perks to get. You'd need PER 5 for Demo Expert and CHA 6 for Local Leader, which limits how you can build your character. Plus the actual investment of the perks themselves. Especially if you have no interest in, for example, explosives.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    True enough, but since NV also had SPECIAL checks, I figured some of them could be skimmed off with that. So even if you don't have Demo Expert, having enough PER to get it would be enough. Or make it an INT check. The whole idea is all about options.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    True enough, but since NV also had SPECIAL checks, I figured some of them could be skimmed off with that. So even if you don't have Demo Expert, having enough PER to get it would be enough. Or make it an INT check. The whole idea is all about options.
    Wonder how to address skill books, +1 temp rank in a perk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    I was thinking move the damage boosting to those. Say 90 seconds of +50% damage. Sneak mags get to be a +50% amplification to sneak attacks but only last say 20 seconds.

    Commando gets Spread reduction instead of damage boost, Gunslinger gets a bonus critical chance, Rifleman gets boosted Rate of Fire. Heavy Gunner is okay, though Gatling Laser and Minigun get slightly higher damage boosts while the Missile Launcher stays the same since it's boosted by both this and Demo Expert.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Excellent thread title, I applaud.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who watches the watchmen?

    Queso ipso custodes! - Cheese it, the cops!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PopeLinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Home, as is the law.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Bring back Skills.

    Do that and it will work, as well as actually adding a decent dialogue system. Fallout 4 had a lot of great features(such as settlement building and weapon customization) and I would love to see NV in 4ís graphics, but New Vegas is a role playing game primarily, and while 4 has Roleplaying elements, it has much more elements of FPSís than the other titles.

    Now, while that is not necessarily a bad thing, the problem is that Vegas has a ton of dialogue options, which the skills play an important part in. I doubt it would mix pretty well, and NV should probably have to scrap a ton of itís options, and striping that game down to its bones could take forever.

    But if they make some changes, it could work, and I would more than definitely like to see some locations as settlements. I have never been more exited about the Prim rollercoaseter before!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    So, currently playing Fallout 2 for the first time.

    I've read there is no timelimit to find the GECK. So when the Shaman called I just ignored it. Now, aftfer almost a year in-game time later after receiving the third "call" Arrayo vanished from the Reputation list.

    Now I'm a bit worried. Maybe there actually is a timelimit after all? Maybe not for completing the game, but maybe for completing the game with a certain Outcome?

    I have the Fallout 2 Restoration Project installed, if it matters.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    So, currently playing Fallout 2 for the first time.

    I've read there is no timelimit to find the GECK. So when the Shaman called I just ignored it. Now, aftfer almost a year in-game time later after receiving the third "call" Arrayo vanished from the Reputation list.

    Now I'm a bit worried. Maybe there actually is a timelimit after all? Maybe not for completing the game, but maybe for completing the game with a certain Outcome?

    I have the Fallout 2 Restoration Project installed, if it matters.
    Hey, glad to see another person discovering a classic.

    Spoiler: Slight Fallout 2 Spoilers
    Show
    Alright, so there simultaneously is and is not a time limit to Fallout 2's main quest. If you take too long to find the GECK, Arroyo is destroyed. However,
    it's not destroyed through famine. You know the Enclave? That'd be the guys wearing the sinister black power armor in the opening cinematic, and decorating the main menu's splash screen. They swoop in and kidnap your village's people, leaving only Hakunin behind.

    So, that's what happens if you don't find the GECK in time. It'd probably take about a year or so of in-game time to reach that point, at the point when the fourth warning shows.

    However, if you do find the GECK in time, the same thing happens. The Enclave come in and steal your people, and you have to go save them. So, yeah. The time limit is there,
    but it doesn't actually affect anything whether you get the GECK before or after.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Hey, glad to see another person discovering a classic.

    Spoiler: Slight Fallout 2 Spoilers
    Show
    Alright, so there simultaneously is and is not a time limit to Fallout 2's main quest. If you take too long to find the GECK, Arroyo is destroyed. However,
    it's not destroyed through famine. You know the Enclave? That'd be the guys wearing the sinister black power armor in the opening cinematic, and decorating the main menu's splash screen. They swoop in and kidnap your village's people, leaving only Hakunin behind.

    So, that's what happens if you don't find the GECK in time. It'd probably take about a year or so of in-game time to reach that point, at the point when the fourth warning shows.

    However, if you do find the GECK in time, the same thing happens. The Enclave come in and steal your people, and you have to go save them. So, yeah. The time limit is there,
    but it doesn't actually affect anything whether you get the GECK before or after.
    Could probably just say that it changes the order of some events, but nothing critical to the plot changes if you want to avoid the spoilers.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DodgerH2O's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    Replaying Fallout 4 with (modded) Survival Mode has me thinking about how great it would be to have a State of Decay meets Fallout 4 Survival.

    Like the scavenging mechanics and procederally generated content is already there but give the Settlers names and unique Perks/SPECIAL and make it so you send them out on your missions (or bring them along as allies) for a single radiant quest. Assign them to crafting stations and you can use their levels in say Gun Nut, Medic etc. to modify your gear without actually having the Perk investment. Give them affinity levels and turn them into permanent Companions upon reaching the max.

    As much as it feels extraneous to the actual storyline, I love the Settlement building. I will totally spend hours hoarding to build a settlement that nobody else will ever see. It's just I wish it were more connected to the rest of the game, or possible to be if you invested time into it. Mods help with a lot of this (Immersive Fast Travel, Salvage Beacons) but my hope is that if they keep Settlements in the next Fallout they will put more effort into tying your efforts into the plot and mechanics.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    I like settlement building myself, but mostly so I can build my own safe house bunkers. Could have used some refinements to snapping on a lot of pieces.

    Anyone tried this out: Unbogus Ranged Weapons Silly name aside, could improve the awful shooting in F4.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    You know, a few simple model and audio edits and we could turn the Brotherhood into Sphece Marines (and female paladins using the Sisters of Battle models and voices), Super Mutants into Orks, could probably cobble together some 'nids from the various insects you encounter, and the Minutemen into the Imperial Guard fairly seamlessly. Unfortunately, Institute to Eldar doesn't really work, or we could really have a fun time of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

    True, but the Synth's look proper already for the metal skeleton guys.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •