New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Practiced Spellcaster?

Hey, can anyone tell me the gist of the Practiced Spellcaster feat? I'm going to go pick up CA, but I'm curious as to what exactly the feat does.

Thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Practiced Spellcaster?

It increases your caster level in a class a bit, up to a max of your character level.

It's handy if you aren't a single-class full-caster for whatever reason, but you don't get access to the higher spell levels or spells per day, so it's not much of a substitute.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your caster level is your character level.

Basically, if your CL is 1 in Wizard, but you have 5 Fighter levels, your CL for stuff like overcoming SR would be 6. It doesn't give you any spells beyond what your actual level in the caster class is, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You choose a class in which you can cast spells and cast spells from that class with a +4 caster level bonus up to your HD. This helps out gishes, theurges, and casters with racial hit dice.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    You choose a class in which you can cast spells and cast spells from that class with a +4 caster level bonus up to your HD. This helps out gishes, theurges, and casters with racial hit dice.
    I've found it's also useful for 1/2-progression casters, whose CL is equal to 1/2 their class level (rangers and paladins come to mind).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I could take it twice and make my Mystic Theurge/Wizard/Archivist have a CL equal to his total level when casting his spells? Cool.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I've found it's also useful for 1/2-progression casters, whose CL is equal to 1/2 their class level (rangers and paladins come to mind).
    Only after level 8 of course, since 4 +4=8, but before that little benefit.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bleen View Post
    Your caster level is your character level.

Basically, if your CL is 1 in Wizard, but you have 5 Fighter levels, your CL for stuff like overcoming SR would be 6. It doesn't give you any spells beyond what your actual level in the caster class is, though.
    True except for the most it can increase your caster level is by 4, and never to more than your HD. The intended use for it is boosting caster level when using non-full progression multi-classing or PrC's. The other use is screwing with PrC requirements and other rules that specify caster level but not spell levels. e.g. a wizard 1/fighter 4 with this feat can qualify for a prestige class that says "arcane caster level 5th." Combined with the Ultimate Magus PrC, there's a trick to give you almost full wizard casting (only leaving 2 or 3 levels out) with something like 10th level sorceror casting on top.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    So, I could take it twice and make my Mystic Theurge/Wizard/Archivist have a CL equal to his total level when casting his spells? Cool.
    Yeah, it's a really nice feat for any character with limited spellcasting. Great for gishes, since it gives them a CL equal to that of a full caster. It does require a few ranks in Spellcraft, though.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!