New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Planeshift Ixalan - coming soon?

I'm thinking something might be coming down the line, because of this free adventure module I just stumbled on.

Granted, the setting would be pretty easy - pirates, dinosaurs, vampires, merfolk - we basically have those already, so it's more backstory and locations than anything instead of new races. It's possible we could see another playable vampire, similar to the Zendikar one, which also gave us merfolk.

Merfolk would be given wizard, sorcerer or druid preferences; vampires could easily be given cavalier; pirates can already use the swasbuckler/mariner templates, and the Empire of the Sun are more or less druid/fighter/cleric builds, so we wouldn't see anything really groundshaking there either.

What I'd KILL for, would be a playable dinosaur race but that wouldn't happen :(

edit: "This adventure uses Magic: The Gathering cards to help build momentum toward adventure progression, and to reward interactive play."

Hmm. Whilst I get the idea of cross-sell, I'm wondering how useful this could be. I gather one component of this is using the Treasure tokens, but I'm not sure how much use giving them a card representing a spell or creature would be. It'd be weird if it worked that way - handing a spell of, Iunno, Fireball* to the fighter.

* yes I know Fireball's not in the Ixalan set, I just can't recall any of the spells off the top of my head except Star of Extinction, and if you're casting that, NOONE SHOULD BE WALKING AWAY.
    Last edited by Finback; 2017-12-13 at 01:09 AM.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Planeshift Ixalan - coming soon?

Reskin dragonborn. Bam. Dino.

3. - Top - End - #3

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Reskin dragonborn. Bam. Dino.
    Maybe swap out the breath weapon for the Half-orc resilience thing, or something?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Maybe swap out the breath weapon for the Half-orc resilience thing, or something?
    I would leave it in actually, and make them all either acid, poison (why are they two types?!)or a roar effect that has a fear effect.

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    I would leave it in actually, and make them all either acid, poison (why are they two types?!)or a roar effect that has a fear effect.
    Acid is defined chemically (it's a molecule/ion capable of donating a proton), and particularly strong acids (such as the damage type in D&D) tend to be corrosive substances, they destroy or burns through material, both organic and inorganic.

Poison, on the other hand, is defined biologically - it refers to substances that disrupt the organs. While most acids would be called poisonous, the same isn't true in reverse. A lot of substances that would disrupt biological organisms would not be effective as a means to destroy inorganic objects. Pouring, for instance, snake venom onto a steel beam wouldn't affect it particularly. That's why most creatures without organs (elementals, constructs) are immune to poison.
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2017-12-13 at 01:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

The new issue of Dragon states that we're getting Planeshift: Ixalan in January some time.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

I can’t find it now, but I remember reading that the Planeshift articles come out alongside the second set in each MTG block, so we wouldn’t see t until Rivals drops, in early January

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

looking through the other Planeshifts I'm not overly hyped for this unless we get a reskinned cavalier till the point where you can train and ride a T-rex

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finback View Post
    The new issue of Dragon states that we're getting Planeshift: Ixalan in January some time.
    This could be fun. I sort of wished I got those card spoiler booklets inside those "fat packs." The other Planeshift material is fun to play with, yet I kinda wished I had those spoiler booklets to choose from than an online card finder tool.