New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Heat Metal to work iron without a forge?

The spell "Heat Metal" explicitly makes the metal red hot, the state required to work with iron via traditional smithing techniques.

So would you allow the spell to allow for blacksmithing in a situation where a forge wasn't available? Or where there's no coal or charcoal to heat the metal?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Heat Metal to work iron without a forge?

It's expensive enough, as a level 2 spell with Concentration and a limited range and duration, so...sure, why not?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-23 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd allow it, but it'd be very slow. You're using a 2nd level spell slot for 1 minute of heat. You can get some work done in that time, but not much, especially on good steel. In addition, you'd still be expected to have smithing tools (hammer, tongs, gloves, etc.), an anvil, materials for proper quenching, possibly a grinding wheel, etc, if you want to forge a quality weapon.

It's imaginative, so I'd want to reward that, but the idea of having heat available for only a few minutes a day would slow any real work down to a crawl.

Edit: In a survival situation with limited supplies, it might be worthwhile, but I wouldn't make it a super-amazing, better-than-a-real-forge option.
    Last edited by Tiadoppler; 2019-05-23 at 12:30 PM.
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    The spell "Heat Metal" explicitly makes the metal red hot, the state required to work with iron via traditional smithing techniques.

So would you allow the spell to allow for blacksmithing in a situation where a forge wasn't available? Or where there's no coal or charcoal to heat the metal?
    Heat Metal has a duration of 1 minute, so no, I wouldn't.

I mean you could use it to make an iron part more easily bendable, but it takes more than 1 minute to smith something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Heat Metal has a duration of 1 minute, so no, I wouldn't.

I mean you could use it to make an iron part more easily bendable, but it takes more than 1 minute to smith something.
    Heating metal in a forge only gives you 1 minute or so of workable heat before you need to put it back in. A skilled blacksmith could absolutely turn an iron bar into a spear head during that time. You won't get a longsword or armor out of it, but you should be able to make some basic weapons.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd allow it. I really don't see any reason to NOT allow it.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Heating metal in a forge only gives you 1 minute or so of workable heat before you need to put it back in. A skilled blacksmith could absolutely turn an iron bar into a spear head during that time. You won't get a longsword or armor out of it, but you should be able to make some basic weapons.
    That depends on a lot of factors (I mean a TON). If you already have a small, smooth bar of high quality steel, the size of the spearhead you want, then yes... maybe. It depends how much material you have to move (metal is hard) and what tools you have available.

If you've got a bar you need to cut? A bar that's the wrong shape and far too thick for a blade? Then no. Not even close.

Even then you just have a spear head's blade. Are you making a socket for the blade, or just tying the blade to a shaft?

On the other hand, homebrew it however you want. D&D's a game, and if you're a master blacksmith cleric of the forge casting heat metal on meteoric iron, wth do I care whether the timing's accurate. Rule of fun > accuracy (for most games, anyway)
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It should work, but it would take about 100x as long. You can only work the metal for a few minutes a day, depending on your level. And as others stated, you still need smiting tools.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

It would be fun to enchant a forge to use heat metal instead of coal.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

The movie Dragonslayer is a great example of the use of heat metal spell to forge metal. I would definitely allow it to be used to work metal.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2019-05-23 at 01:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd let them do it within reason. Probably not generating heavy weapons or silvering weapons, but creating multiple arrowheads, spear heads, daggers, shortswords or making repairs to metal weapons? Sure!
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    It would be fun to enchant a forge to use heat metal instead of coal.
    like an induction forge!

I'd say Heat metal would work for short repairs, a couple of arrow heads out of metal scraps, a dagger out of a metal shard, anything else would take multiple castings.

I love the idea of a forge cleric climbing up on some scaffolding and using heat metal and smithing tools to pop out dents and such on the Iron doors to a temple of Moradin after an attack without taking them down.
    Last edited by Danielqueue1; 2019-05-25 at 12:13 PM. Reason: dwarves!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

This is a clever idea! I approve!

A slight modification: use the bonfire cantrip to keep up the heat. I wonder what level one would need to be for the Bonfire cantrip to do enough damage to make iron red hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This is a clever idea! I approve!

A slight modification: use the bonfire cantrip to keep up the heat. I wonder what level one would need to be for the Bonfire cantrip to do enough damage to make iron red hot?
    How much damage does lava do again? That might be a good baseline for comparison (though obviously metal is easier to melt than rock, so would require less damage).
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    How much damage does lava do again? That might be a good baseline for comparison (though obviously metal is easier to melt than rock, so would require less damage).
    You only need to melt metal if you want to smelt/solder/weld it. There's still room between a workable temperature and melting point.

I would be wary of using damage to discern the heat needed to work metal because it is possible to 'destroy' a metal object without fully melting it. It's possible that good rolls on a 1d6 bonfire could screw up the temper and cause oxidation over time.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Another idea. How about an anvil that is enchanted with heat metal to keep the metal laid on it at a workable temperature? Perhaps with a command word to turn it on and off. Could be the best item ever for a travelling smith.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    When a piece of metal is hot forged it must be heated significantly. The average temperatures necessary for hot forging are: Up to 1150 degrees Celsius for Steel
    ~~ Google fu

The temperature of lava when it is first ejected from a volcanic vent can vary between 700 and 1,200 degrees C
    ~~ Google fu

Lava. A creature takes 6d10 fire damage when it enters lava for the first time on a turn or when it ends its turn there.
    ~~ Princes of Apocalypse

... but here's the kicker: cold forging.

Despite the word "cold," cold forging actually occurs at or near room temperature. The most common metals in cold forging applications are usually standard or carbon alloy steels. One of the most common types of cold forging is a process called impression-die forging, where the metal is placed into a die that is attached to an anvil. The metal is then hit by a descending hammer and forced into the die. Depending on the product, the hammer may actually be dropped on the metal numerous times in a very rapid sequence.
    ~~ google fu

--------

*thinks for a moment*

blacksmithing (str) check, with a bonus of half the fire damage, DC 25.

A typical blacksmith * on a normal forge** would get an 89% chance of succeeding

*: STR 16, expert in his trade
    ** which equals lava temperatures, a.k.a. 6d10, or 3d10 if halved

While "in the wild", a adventurer (STR20) with a bonfire (1d6), proficiency in blacksmithing and guidance, has a 35% chance to succeed.
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Too everyone who said it takes more than one minute to smith something, your kinda wrong. I bladesmith, and let me tell you, what takes time is reheating. If a spell keeps your metal at a constant red heat, you could get tons of work done fast. You can move lots of steel if you know what your doing, and blacksmiths learn to work fast because steel normally cools.

A spear head? Professional Smith could do it in a minute and the time it takes to cool down. Something like a sword or knife would take longer sure, but just keep casting. But yes, this is what I wanted to use the spell for the moment I saw it. It would definitely work. Maybe a couple castings of it though. But a constant red heat is a god send.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-05-25 at 06:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGirl

It's kind of niche, but you aren't necessarily limited to minutes/day. If you were to play a Theurgy Wizard w/ Forge as your associated domain, you could get Heat Metal as a Wizard spell, and since it's 2nd level it's a valid pick for Spell Mastery. Sure, it requires 18 levels of wizard and a really specific build, but it is indeed possible to spam the spell at will.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The spell also makes the "red hot" metal perfectly safe to touch outside the exact moment the caster uses bonus action to have it deal damage. And the heat only affects creatures and doesn't ignite flammable objects in contact with it. There's no mention of damage to the object itself, which there should be it changed temperature so quickly (both when the spell is cast and when it ends). In other words, it doesn't behave like red hot metal in any way except the glow.

No, I wouldn't allow it. The object glows thanks to the magic, not because it is actually heated to "red hot glow"-level temperatures.

21. - Top - End - #21

This argument is good enough that I'd consider it, maybe do a tiny bit of Googling on forging, and probably allow it for spears and other simple items.

The Googling is just to check that I'm not overlooking anything.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

What crafters could really use is a quench cantrip.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Barrel of water, or a couple flasks of oil, done. Oils better.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    No, I wouldn't allow it. The object glows thanks to the magic, not because it is actually heated to "red hot glow"-level temperatures.
    In principle I agree with this. Fluff-crunch zigzag logic of the "this spell seems to achieve its mechanical effect through this flavour process, so it should provide all the utility you can argue should follow from that process" type opens a million wormcans and magic doesn't need to be more powerful.
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

25. - Top - End - #25

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dragon View Post
    In principle I agree with this. Fluff-crunch zigzag logic of the "this spell seems to achieve its mechanical effect through this flavour process, so it should provide all the utility you can argue should follow from that process" type opens a million wormcans and magic doesn't need to be more powerful.
    True Polymorph - Nitroglycerin

When you explode, you unpolymorph with all your health intact.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Since heat metal ends instantly would that automatically quench what you are working with?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dragon View Post
    Well, Find traps doesn't find traps so I guess it makes sense that Heat Metal doesn't heat metal.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2019-05-25 at 09:39 PM.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Since heat metal ends instantly would that automatically quench what you are working with?
    Since nearly everything I know about forging I learned from watching Forged in Fire, I have no idea.

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

Personally, I think it would just be too finicky, so I wouldn't allow it. There's also a lot of questions to it, is Heat Metal hot enough? Does the cooling instantly quench the metal? If these are true, why does Heat Metal not ruin the temperament of everything you use it on?

That said, spellcasters can definitely start a fire, and your smithing PC almost certainly will have knowledge of how to craft a sufficiently hot fire.

Spellcasters still have plenty they could do to help regardless.
    Last edited by Blood of Gaea; 2019-05-26 at 12:19 AM.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Blood of Gaea View Post
    Personally, I think it would just be too finicky, so I wouldn't allow it. There's also a lot of questions to it, is Heat Metal hot enough? Does the cooling instantly quench the metal? If these are true, why does Heat Metal not ruin the temperament of everything you use it on?

That said, spellcasters can definitely start a fire, and your smithing PC almost certainly will have knowledge of how to craft a sufficiently hot fire.

Spellcasters still have plenty they could do to help regardless.
    Eh, given the existence of Fabricate, I don't really see a problem with allowing the use of heat metal and perhaps other spells to aid with crafting. Especially since Heat Metal would mostly only cut down on fuel consumption. I mean, you'd still have to do the work part of forging by swinging a hammer.

Perhaps some enterprising caster could conduct some research based on heat metal specifically to replace the forge when forging.

30. - Top - End - #30

OldWizardGuy

Eh, given the existence of Fabricate, I don't really see a problem with allowing the use of heat metal and perhaps other spells to aid with crafting. Especially since Heat Metal would mostly only cut down on fuel consumption. I mean, you'd still have to do the work part of forging by swinging a hammer.

Perhaps some enterprising caster could conduct some research based on heat metal specifically to replace the forge when forging.
    Yes, they have plenty of spells that could help, I just don't consider Heat Metal to be one of them.

And yes, I would absolutely allow some kind of pursuit after a more specialized spell.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.