Default Re: (OOC) The Primeval Dark

(1d4)[2]x5'
    (1d3)[1]Staggered Rounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Preemptively rolling my disable device check with the skeleton key, so I can start thinking of what I'm doing next if it doesn't work.

Disable Device vs Cell Lock: (1d20+10)[29]

Oh hell yeah
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-19 at 11:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304

Are permanent magic items unsafe to wear in Tainted Lands, or can we put on our stuff without worrying too much about it?

(Please tell me they're not unsafe to even carry.)
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2019-03-19 at 11:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    Are permanent magic items unsafe to wear in Tainted Lands, or can we put on our stuff without worrying too much about it?

(Please tell me they're not unsafe to even carry.)
    The answer to that is, sorta.
    Since this isn't the full-on unadulterated game letting you run off and make your own mistakes, you don't have to worry about your favorite magic sword exploding in your face or something... yet. This is more of a 'tutorial' for tainted regions, so it's more focused on drilling good habits and the common big 'do not's' of exploration in these areas. Because you're going to want to understand what 'bad' actually means, and what it looks like before you find yourself in a situation when you have to tackle it for real.

No standard magic item is ever going to be 100% safe to don or carry, you need to get your gear shielded from those effects, but if you're dealing with sectors that have conditions that will blow up an unprotected cloak of resistance... you're probably dead already, because you're in deep poopy without any defenses for corruption. You can literally get xploded for simply having a ki pool. When the summery says '...Gales detonating in a bloody mess from simply employing internal forces', it means to say that even passive abilities are not safe as well. Everything from your gear, to your own body will need to be protected from the corruption's influence. Which isn't overly difficult, and it only really counts if you're going in exceptionally deep; in the very bad stuff or trying to fight veilbeasts (also a bad idea), which could just be avoided. If you plan on diving back in these kinds of places in the future, and don't want to risk getting messed up, you'll need to plan appropriately. Most of the IC descriptions about the time Gales spend to ready for an expedition, or their life expectancy, is pretty literal. These are not places anyone wants to find themselves on an average day.

So that's a big yes to standard magic items being a massive risk, but this is also why you're on a rail (until you kick yourself off, or ride it out). You're not in the 'real deal' yet, so for the most part you can't get boned legitimately by sector conditions, though you could still get killed by more conventional threats. This 'tutorial' is more just to give you some experience playing around with some of the nasty stuff, teaching you some basics on how to navigate through such places, and show you why you should be rightly hesitant to go anywhere nears these regions if you can help it. If you end up trying to DDoor across a hall and get shot out through a hole to another plane or something though, you might kick yourself out of the safety net. I would try to avoid that, and just get the hell outta Dodge in as basic a manner as possible.

Side-quests and bosses notwithstanding, the PCs are multiple CR above the standard enemy fodder here, but there's definitely some real dramatic tension to be found trying to work your way through the chaotic environmental circumstances being thrown around. You could fight your way through with just a club or dagger in terms of more conventional direct opposition, but a lot of that is masked behind everything else going on around you. After this opening, you could completely avoid tainted lands, forever, if you really wanted to. The decision to go back in should only be made after considerable thought, research and preparation, to put yourself in the best possible condition to better your odds of coming back out again; because most never do.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-21 at 01:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Perception - (1d20+14)[33]
    Survival - (1d20+12)[21]

Trying to recognize any changes, or things that would be out of the ordinary in this tainted land.
    Show
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #307

So as someone who has played in this for a bit, be very very careful... and learn to run or avoid doing stuff that you really dont need to be doing/messing with. Yall are lucky, Morning is putting you on the rail so its a bit easier... Loimi isnt getting the rail... so i have a 50/50 chance of just instantly going Boom... hopefully he survives and can escape the tainted land... odds arent in my favor though since he has alot of SU and magic ****.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Well not only do you have to be careful, but your allies could be not careful and get you sucked through dimension after dimesion.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Well not only do you have to be careful, but your allies could be not careful and get you sucked through dimension after dimesion.
    Hence why Erik is shouting at everyone not to use magic I don't wanna get sucked across 4 dimensions, that'd put a damper on things

And also not taking Mr. Surveyor at face value. Maybe he's a shape-shifting veil beast. Gotta sense motive that guy up
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-20 at 09:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    We all lived though so its fine lol

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, DC 18 means it's a coin flip on both. Time to get tails twice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[23] Will
    (1d20+8)[16] Fort

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, whoops, I also wanted to roll to check for tainted status
    (1d20+10)[11] Perception
    (1d20+9)[25] Survival

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

13. - Top - End - #313

Do we have to worry about using a move action to take the 5 foot step from wall to wall of our cells?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Lets get dangerous.

In addition to the general perception knowledge tests from the in character thread, here is a handful of specific tests.

The Bars Perception (1d20+12)[17]
    The Bars Engineering (1d20+7)[19]

The Lock Perception (1d20+12)[26]
    The Lock Engineering (1d20+7)[25]

For structural weaknesses of both

The Bed Perception (1d20+12)[28] for seeing if there was something in there not rotted away.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Do we have to worry about using a move action to take the 5 foot step from wall to wall of our cells?
    Nope, but your movement once you free yourself will be accounted for normally.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Sory for the late post, I ended up being a lot busier today than I expected.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

posted for group 2, will do group 1 tomorrow. Can't drop in group 3 until one of the groups gets out of potential danger, or stella gets out of jun'athel.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Regina

Recovery (fort dc 20 vs staggered): (1d20+6)[18]

Perception for state of prison: (1d20+21)[23]
    Knowledge (Engineering) for surprising architecture: (1d20+12)[29]
    Knowledge (Nature) for chime bird: (1d20+12)[18]
    Knowledge (Planes) for Iman: (1d20+15)[17]

19. - Top - End - #319

Are we all gonna spam mornings with skill checks now that we know we can get xp that way?

I'm beginning to feel like I should've invested some points in knowledge skills, but oh well.

20. - Top - End - #320

If you look at the previous posts in the thread with stella you should get an idea of how useful rolling on **** is... I always do it using OOC spoilers so he doesnt have to look back and forth as much between the OOC and IC lol

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I should probably do that from now on. I was using the ooc for the movement ones since it affected what my character could do in the IC post, but now that that's mostly done, I can probably consolidate.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    If you look at the previous posts in the thread with stella you should get an idea of how useful rolling on **** is... I always do it using OOC spoilers so he doesnt have to look back and forth as much between the OOC and IC lol
    Oh, yeah, I get that's it's probably to teach us that learning about the world is good, I just thought it humorous that at first we had no skill checks, and now everyone is rolling like 6 a round. Except for Erik, because he only has two skills with which to learn about the world

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, yeah, I get that's it's probably to teach us that learning about the world is good, I just thought it humorous that at first we had no skill checks, and now everyone is rolling like 6 a round. Except for Erik, because he only has two skills with which to learn about the world
    There's virtually no reward for combat, everything is designed to motivate rp and have characters using the skills appropriate for their characters frequently. A Climb check can be just as valid as spellcraft. Most knowledge skills that are default are also extremely limited in their ability to succeed a check beyond a partial result. Acquiring unique skills via acquired potentials is how you accelerate development of your character and learn more complete truths via otherworldly knowledge.

You can't acquire xp without influences unless it's as an objective reward, so you will need to either rp to the point of gaining some, or make some checks. Though you'll loose influences that were circumstantial over a short period of time.

Just try to consolidate your optional checks into the end of your IC in spoiler.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-21 at 03:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

people kinda messed up their tracking for DCs/rounds for staggered, so post how many rounds you have left, and i'll edit as needed. Or you can take 3 rounds of it, until you save. Consolidate your results in IC spoiler at the end of your posts if you want to put your rolls in OOC in the future. Not going to look across multiple threads for rolls anymore, it's very time consuming.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    people kinda messed up their tracking for DCs/rounds for staggered, so post how many rounds you have left, and i'll edit as needed. Or you can take 3 rounds of it, until you save. Consolidate your results in IC spoiler at the end of your posts if you want to put your rolls in OOC in the future. Not going to look across multiple threads for rolls anymore, it's very time consuming.
    Ok, edited my results from post #270 into the OOC spoiler on my most recent turn

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, edited my results from post #270 into the OOC spoiler on my most recent turn
    Cool beans

27. - Top - End - #327
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, this is my first round with my 10' move speed and only round of being Staggered (rolled a 2 for speed and a 1 for staggered).

1st Round: Failed Will, Failed Fort
    2nd Round: Passed Will, Failed Fort
    3rd Round: Passed Fort (Round 1 of 1 Staggered)
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, this is my first round with my 10' move speed and only round of being Staggered (rolled a 2 for speed and a 1 for staggered).

1st Round: Failed Will, Failed Fort
    2nd Round: Passed Will, Failed Fort
    3rd Round: Passed Fort (Round 1 of 1 Staggered)
    Cool beans. For future things being rolled OOC, just copy them into your IC spoilers so I'll have it there later too. Saves so much time.

I posted for group 1. Things are going to start getting a little cray cray.

29. - Top - End - #329

Oh no. The Hanging man. YOU SAID IT WOULD MAKE SENSE SOON AND IT DOES AND I DON'T LIKE IT

P.S. I rolled a 29 on my disable device check a bit back in the thread, does that open the lock? Post #304
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-21 at 10:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Oh no. The Hanging man. YOU SAID IT WOULD MAKE SENSE SOON AND IT DOES AND I DON'T LIKE IT

P.S. I rolled a 29 on my disable device check a bit back in the thread, does that open the lock? Post #304
    Oh, yeah. the lock is super open.
    At least you dont have to worry about all those pesky-complicated quest objectives lol