New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (OOC) The Primeval Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Okay!

Also, Assuming that Kazik burns a standard action to escape, does the Escape Artist check I made break the grapple?
    Well the grapple was an ability, which succeeded. So your subsequent actions may get interrupted, as thats going to resolve (wasting most of this round).

You can spend a move action to try to break free with escape artist. It's an opposed check, so we won't know if it was successful or not until I roll that, but you're already going to be getting clawed-up underwater.
    -----

Erik doesn't currently possess any abilities which hint at any previous actions he may have taken during another event. Also, you may want to re-visit Kaslin's dialogue, as she was referring to her own experiences and doesn't know who you are.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    Erik doesn't currently possess any abilities which hint at any previous actions he may have taken during another event. Also, you may want to re-visit Kaslin's dialogue, as she was referring to her own experiences and doesn't know who you are.
    Oh. Guess I misunderstood that pretty heavily

Well, glad I asked first, instead of just trying it IC. That would've been pretty embarrassing
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-08 at 04:47 PM.

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

3. - Top - End - #933

gonna be interesting if/when stella gets more involved with G1 lol.

really still trying to figure out what questions im needing to ask the gran hexe in my next post.

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    gonna be interesting if/when stella gets more involved with G1 lol.

really still trying to figure out what questions im needing to ask the gran hexe in my next post.
    "What are you doing with these guys, and can you give them cool magic abilities so they're more likely to survive?"

Don't ask that, I feel like you'd get exploded

Edit: so this is my first time ever using this site on a computer instead of on my phone, and so I've only now discovered that Morning's IC posts use different fonts and stuff. It's weird reading them again with different fonts, even though the text is exactly the same
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-08 at 04:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    "What are you doing with these guys, and can you give them cool magic abilities so they're more likely to survive?"

Don't ask that, I feel like you'd get exploded

Edit: so this is my first time ever using this site on a computer instead of on my phone, and so I've only now discovered that Morning's IC posts use different fonts and stuff. It's weird reading them again with different fonts, even though the text is exactly the same
    yeah probably not best to ask that lol

There is a lot of formatting stuff that go into his posts, its always best to read it at least once on a PC i feel.

6. - Top - End - #936

So, world question:

You mentioned that in some tainted areas, even just having a magical reservoir can be enough to make Bad ThingsTM happen.

Do tainted areas make any distinction between types of magical reservoirs? Like, would a Ki pool trigger an effect that access to Sorcerer spellcasting doesn't? Or are all magical reservoirs effectively the same thing, and the difference is in how the owner channels it?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    yeah probably not best to ask that lol

There is a lot of formatting stuff that go into his posts, its always best to read it at least once on a PC i feel.
    Indeed. Most of which is done for hints or contextual clues

So, world question:

You mentioned that in some tainted areas, even just having a magical reservoir can be enough to make Bad ThingsTM happen.

Do tainted areas make any distinction between types of magical reservoirs? Like, would a Ki pool trigger an effect that access to Sorcerer spellcasting doesn't? Or are all magical reservoirs effectively the same thing, and the difference is in how the owner channels it?
    Good question. For tainted areas, the vast majority of the time there is a specific distinction - which could be a specific as something like; an arcane reservoir with a value below 5, is unaffected. Though this isn't the case for areas that are effected by wild magic instead, which are pretty general, but those effects don't come with the concern of getting catapulted through reality... sooo, less of a big deal.
    ------

This is the opposed check for Kazik to break out of the grapple as a move action, however his escape artist check takes a -2 penalty due to the effects of being grappled.

(1d20+5)[23]

Edit: holy ****, that's a high roll...
    Last edited by Mornings; 2020-01-08 at 10:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #938

Indeed. Most of which is done for hints or contextual clues
    Ah, so maybe go back through and reread things, then...

Good question. For tainted areas, the vast majority of the time there is a specific distinction - which could be a specific as something like; an arcane reservoir with a value below 5, is unaffected. Though this isn't the case for areas that are effected by wild magic instead, which are pretty general, but those effects don't come with the concern of getting catapulted through reality... sooo, less of a big deal.
    That's what I figured. Thought I should ask in case I decide to expand Erik's magic abilities if we live long enough to level.

I was familiarizing myself with ffd20, saw some cool abilities and then thought to myself "is giving my character multiple kinds of magic a good idea?"

This is the opposed check for Kazik to break out of the grapple as a move action, however his escape artist check takes a -2 penalty due to the effects of being grappled.

[roll0]

Edit: holy ****, that's a high roll...
    Oh, that's not good. I can't Aid Another our way out of that

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, so maybe go back through and reread things, then...

That's what I figured. Thought I should ask in case I decide to expand Erik's magic abilities if we live long enough to level.

I was familiarizing myself with ffd20, saw some cool abilities and then thought to myself "is giving my character multiple kinds of magic a good idea?"

Oh, that's not good. I can't Aid Another our way out of that
    It's not a bad idea, but if tainted regions is why you're reconsidering, I'd put the thought aside. It's just as bad without magic in the real thing. With or without magic, you don't want to willingly press through those sorts of places without information and precautions in place. Such as some of the different warding equipment, or services out there (which are expendable), or the unique abilities to start resisting those things yourself.

Err... yeah. But at least it wasn't actually a physicslly damaging thing, and he can't be dragged off into some abyss like what happened to poor Balin

10. - Top - End - #940

It's not a bad idea, but if tainted regions is why you're reconsidering, I'd put the thought aside. It's just as bad without magic in the real thing. With or without magic, you don't want to willingly press through those sorts of places without information and precautions in place. Such as some of the different warding equipment, or services out there (which are expendable), or the unique abilities to start resisting those things yourself.
    Speaking of which, how expensive/hard to obtain are those? I remember you saying that they often had to be custom-made, so I assume you won't find them in a general store.

Err... yeah. But at least it wasn't actually a physicslly damaging thing, and he can't be dragged off into some abyss like what happened to poor Balin
    Yeah, I'm not so much worried about what the hands will do, but about the very large angry dog that the hands are stopping us from running away from.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of which, how expensive/hard to obtain are those? I remember you saying that they often had to be custom-made, so I assume you won't find them in a general store.

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about what the hands will do, but about the very large angry dog that the hands are stopping us from running away from.
    Yeah, there's a lot going on with that. So to answer you question:

Wildly expensive, but consumable items aren't necessarily uncommon at all. New mercenaries and harriers usually can't afford such items, and those that can keep these items hidden (least their new 'comrades' murder them and take their goods for themselves). The majority of individual sellswords don't begin assembling their first exploration kits until after they've survived at least one expedition, and presumably getting rich in the process. Mercenaries who conscript themselves to a band or company often get an initial stipend before departure, which they might spend on such items to better their chance of returning, in less than ten pieces.

Actual equipment, such as weapons or armor which are not 'one-time' expendable items are difficult to obtain due to their specialized nature. Each item is individually produced for a single individual from an audience with vast wealth, but little time; and there are very few craftsmen capable of such work. The individual properties applied to such equipment from the manufacturing process is often only applicable or useful for one single tainted region, but as bands often specialize in hunting and sourcing out wealth from a very small number of zones, this is perfectly acceptable. Very few mercenaries or Harriers venture out into a multitude of tainted regions due to the risk, and lack of efficiency in profitable returns due to the absurd expenditures involved in equipping and training personnel for such things.

Companies who perform expeditions and those individuals serving as scouts for Surveyors, who bear the brunt of the risk, often don't pay for their own equipment. Various agreements in their contracted work sponsor the purchase of their tools and instruments to perform their duties. Unfortunately, the sad reality of it is that surviving often isn't enough to pay for the equipment necessary to continue working as an independent mercenary. Making such careers typically very short-lived. Though there are some remarkable independent sellswords out there who have found their own formula to make it work.

12. - Top - End - #942

Yeah, there's a lot going on with that. So to answer you question:

Wildly expensive, but consumable items aren't necessarily uncommon at all. New mercenaries and harriers usually can't afford such items, and those that can keep these items hidden (least their new 'comrades' murder them and take their goods for themselves). The majority of individual sellswords don't begin assembling their first exploration kits until after they've survived at least one expedition, and presumably getting rich in the process. Mercenaries who conscript themselves to a band or company often get an initial stipend before departure, which they might spend on such items to better their chance of returning, in less than ten pieces.

Actual equipment, such as weapons or armor which are not 'one-time' expendable items are difficult to obtain due to their specialized nature. Each item is individually produced for a single individual from an audience with vast wealth, but little time; and there are very few craftsmen capable of such work. The individual properties applied to such equipment from the manufacturing process is often only applicable or useful for one single tainted region, but as bands often specialize in hunting and sourcing out wealth from a very small number of zones, this is perfectly acceptable. Very few mercenaries or Harriers venture out into a multitude of tainted regions due to the risk, and lack of efficiency in profitable returns due to the absurd expenditures involved in equipping and training personnel for such things.

Companies who perform expeditions and those individuals serving as scouts for Surveyors, who bear the brunt of the risk, often don't pay for their own equipment. Various agreements in their contracted work sponsor the purchase of their tools and instruments to perform their duties. Unfortunately, the sad reality of it is that surviving often isn't enough to pay for the equipment necessary to continue working as an independent mercenary. Making such careers typically very short-lived. Though there are some remarkable independent sellswords out there who have found their own formula to make it work.
    Oh wow, they're tailored to individual tainted areas as well? Didn't realize that, but makes sense now that I think of it.

These feel like good things to be learning given the character I'm trying to play. Maybe should've asked about them sooner, really
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-08 at 11:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

Drawing everyone together, very cool! Any status change on Flat?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow, they're tailored to individual tainted areas as well? Didn't realize that, but makes sense now that I think of it.

These feel like good things to be learning given the character I'm trying to play. Maybe should've asked about them sooner, really
    Yeah, good stuff to know. In Erik's case, his situation from a veteran's perspective, is better than expected. After all, learning a new region is like learning a new job, and they lost their surveyor (who was their only opportunity to grasp the rules of this new region) right out the door. Then he was wounded. With his experience, that's just as good as dead. Making it out of a blind delve without any preparation is a miracle for any merc, unless you were fortunate enough to be caught in a region as it was changing, or not too many sectors away from the exit. By what's been seen thus far though, he can surmise that they were not fortunate at all, and it's going to be a difficult trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Drawing everyone together, very cool! Any status change on Flat?
    Nothing yet, but I'll be pressing forward with group 2 by Sunday night if nothing for Miryks goes up prior.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, haven't had a lot of time the past couple days to post. Will try and get one out tomorrow.

Hrmm... so that one clearly fails, but, idle thought, since kazik is next to a wall, would it be possible for him to make a climb check to escape the grapple the next chance he takes to to break it (taking the same penalties as normal)?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

16. - Top - End - #946

Sorry, haven't had a lot of time the past couple days to post. Will try and get one out tomorrow.

Hrmm... so that one clearly fails, but, idle thought, since kazik is next to a wall, would it be possible for him to make a climb check to escape the grapple the next chance he takes to to break it (taking the same penalties as normal)?
    Is that a wall? I thought it was a little platform that the operating table with the weird organs was on

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh! Yeah rereading the update I guess that is a dais. Can Kazik climb the dais to escape the arms? :p

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Oh! Yeah rereading the update I guess that is a dais. Can Kazik climb the dais to escape the arms? :p
    Yes, you certainly can attempt a Climb check to escape and scale the dais

19. - Top - End - #949

Looking through ffd20... regretting not looking through it more way back during recruitment(almost a year ago!). There's some cool stuff in there that would've been pretty appropriate. At least I'll be able to learn it later.

But the sword-explodes-with-lightning abilities labeled (Ex) make me giggle a bit

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking through ffd20... regretting not looking through it more way back during recruitment(almost a year ago!). There's some cool stuff in there that would've been pretty appropriate. At least I'll be able to learn it later.

But the sword-explodes-with-lightning abilities labeled (Ex) make me giggle a bit
    Yeah tbh I think the gambler class is the greatest thing ever and if Kazik somehow gets eaten then I might know what I want to try next :p

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

21. - Top - End - #951

Yeah tbh I think the gambler class is the greatest thing ever and if Kazik somehow gets eaten then I might know what I want to try next :p
    The Gambler's Luck Pool is actually one of the magic abilities I had my eye on. Even if the extra swift action thing doesn't work for me, those rerolls can be life saving, as well as just good general utility if I have a knowledge roll I really want to work or something.

I'm pretty keen on some of the stuff the Sword Saint has going on. The Stamina Pool and Sword Arts look pretty fun, and the Combo Finisher stuff that some of the classes have going on seems cool, if a little over the top at times.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-10 at 01:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Oof, not feeling super great about those climb checks (I say as one of them is a 20).

EDIT: Yeah, thinking about it a class that revolves around rolling even more dice to make your actions better or worse is probably not one that I should gravitate towards.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2020-01-10 at 01:45 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #953

Oof, not feeling super great about those climb checks (I say as one of them is a 20).

EDIT: Yeah, thinking about it a class that revolves around rolling even more dice to make your actions better or worse is probably not one that I should gravitate towards.
    Fun trumps efficiency! Let's be real here, part of the reason we play these games is because we like rolling dice. Rolling more dice just means more fun! At least, in the Dwarf Fortress sense of the term

Speaking of fun trumping efficiency, there's so much about the Sword Saint that I like that I'm actually tempted to... multiclass. Just for a level. Although, I suppose that depending on how multiclassing with Freelancer works, it might result in enough issues that it'd be better to just purchase what abilities I can as a Freelancer.

Oh, Erik will be over momentarily to try and help you out. I don't know if it'll work, but he's already decided that getting separated is a bad idea, so he isn't just gonna leave you there.

Edit: damn, those are some BAD rolls. At least I rolled well enough for the Aid Another to work
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-10 at 03:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954

I really hope that they figure out what's wrong with the site soon. Spending 10 minutes and taking 3 tries for every page to load is getting rather frustrating

Edit: and now things have sped back up. Clearly, complaining is how problems get fixed
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2020-01-11 at 09:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

I was busy during the weekend so i couldn't finish any updates. ill be working on those throughout the week.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

I still got stuff going on with work that's bleeding into the weekend, soooo, i'll see when I can get out an update lol

27. - Top - End - #957

I still got stuff going on with work that's bleeding into the weekend, soooo, i'll see when I can get out an update lol
    Don't worry about it, we'll still be here

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Yeaaah, so OOTS decided to take a sheit on me while i was typing my update and I lost a large part of it... sooo. I'll get back to this later.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

@Kazik, Vs DC 21
    #1 (1d20+5)[12] - failed
    #2 (1d20+5)[14] - failed

@Erik, Vs DC 18
    #3 (1d20+5)[15] - failed
    #4 (1d20+5)[7] - failed
    #5 (1d20+5)[11] - failed
    Last edited by Mornings; 2020-01-22 at 06:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Rest in pieces

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!