Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daemon

Default What's a reasonable "blown off course by a major storm" distance?

I'm considering a "lost in unknown lands" campaign, and need to know plausible distances (where to place the land).

Parameters:
    Ship type: Roughly something of the Cog type or possibly caravel-ish nature. Lateen/square-rigged, 1-2 masts. 20-30 crew (including the party).
    Ocean type: Tropical oceans, deep water.
    Storm type: Equivalent to a good tropical storm/light hurricane. As strong as would be reasonably survivable. Assume the ship is running pretty-much downwind for several days.
    Crew: experienced sailors.

If the storm lasts for (say) 2 days, is several hundred miles a reasonable distance? Or are we looking more like high hundreds of miles?
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's a reasonable "blown off course by a major storm" distance?

A quick google search gave me this source: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G16.html

So bases on this, 1400 km or more for two days wouldn't be too odd.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ships have considerable drag in the water and the crew would avoid catching the wind with their sails to avoid being drifted off too far.

But say they are pushed at 20 km/h, that's still 960 km over 48 hours. Mid hundreds of miles should be quite reasonable. This can easily be way off from the regular shiping lanes between charted islands. If the region isn't charted well and the island not very high, then it might not get spotted until a few dozen miles away.

You can increase distances by quite a lot by having the ship getting damaged and unable to steer effectively until it can be repaired with material from an island. Then they can just keep drifting until a current takes them close to an island. Ships have drifted across the entire pacific this way.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

How far is it from England to Lilliput?
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).