New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Underground sugar market codes

In the empire(of my home brew campaign) sugar was banned for th simple fact that it makes people fat and lazy, two of the players are sugar dealers(recently) and I need as many sugar/baking themed codes you all can come up with

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Underground sugar market codes

Heh.
    "Glass" and related words, from spun sugar glass. Maybe one pane is one kilo, and modifiers for sugar products. Stained glass for candies, doorpane for brownies (wood & brownie color, its a stretch), greenhouse glass for cinnamon sugar?

Tea (or whatever the local drink is) for what most people drank when sugar was allowed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Honey. Syrup. Brown (crystal, unrefined brown sugar). Cane (refined white sugar).

There are lots of different kinds of sugar, they should all be sold at different prices with different "street names"
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Crystal.
    Snow (especially for powdered sugar).
    Snowflakes (sugar-cubes?).
    Brown gold (unrefined brown sugar).
    Honey stars.
    Tar (for molasses).
    Liquid gold (for syrup).
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Cake Flour".

"Special Salt".

Quartz.

Rock.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I can't really contribute as to names, but I have a related anecdote.

I was DM'ing a group, and one particular teenager, when they got to the "big city" wanted to buy drugs. A dwarf, from the sticks. He and some of the party went down to the docks and found someone who would offer drugs. The dealer, seeing them as total hicks, talked up his "best" drug. A nice white powder, guaranteed to give you quite a buzz. He bought that for an exorbitant sum.

On the way back, they interrupted a young noble getting ready to sexually assault a commoner--they stepped in and it ended badly for the noble. Notably, the character who bought the drugs never took them. The next morning, the party was arrested for murdering the noble and the officer, patting down the dwarf, encountered the drugs. He promptly burst out laughing. Why? It was powdered sugar, sold to rubes.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If the characters are dealing in a banned, illegal substance, wouldn't you want the code words to not have anything to do with the actual product? the point of a code is to hide what message is being passed, after all.

A conversation between sugar dealers shouldn't sound like two bakers discussing a recipe. It should sound like two woodcutters talking about harvesting firewood, or like two fishermen bragging about their day's catch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I see what you're saying, but I want to give the players(who have joined it) codes to use for sayings, while realistic campaigns would be a bit different, the empire litterally banned sugar, so it's not like this is super serious. I'm looking for things like "have we been frosted?"-"we're you followed?", and the like, simply for having fun

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meepwizard View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I want to give the players(who have joined it) codes to use for sayings, while realistic campaigns would be a bit different, the empire litterally banned sugar, so it's not like this is super serious. I'm looking for things like "have we been frosted?"-"we're you followed?", and the like, simply for having fun
    Double crossed => "hot crossed" or "crossed like a bun"

Finished => "dusted"

Keep the contraband operation secret => "stay frosty"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If the characters are dealing in a banned, illegal substance, wouldn't you want the code words to not have anything to do with the actual product? the point of a code is to hide what message is being passed, after all.
    In the real world yes, in the game world where the code words themselves should give a clue to the players about what's being discussed... much much less so. which I guess comes down to how realistic a game you want to run.

Tee Shirts
    Pizza
    good sandwiches
    magazines (I guess leaflets depending on the printing tech)

Also make sure to have some sugar junkie spread the rumor that if you ask an undercover guardsman if they're in the guard they have to answer honestly.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

A conversation between sugar dealers shouldn't sound like two bakers discussing a recipe. It should sound like two woodcutters talking about harvesting firewood, or like two fishermen bragging about their day's catch.
    Unless you're also trying to sell the product to someone who isn't a dealer. There's a reason that the street names for a lot of drugs are (at least) tangentially related to the drug itself. It's so a reasonably astute buyer can get the gist of what is being sold while the operation seems innocuous in the paper trail.

In a world where sugar is an illicit drug, I imagine "Hey man, do you want to buy some of the white stuff?" will net a lot more customers than "Hey man, do you want to buy some pickled red herring dust?".

Also, following this thread to give some flavor to the Elder Scrolls skooma trade.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2017-12-25 at 06:13 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The title of this thread is so unlikely to be spoken under normal circumstances that it looks like code itself. Are you trying to communicate something about the Marine Corps (USMC) ... ?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The title of this thread is so unlikely to be spoken under normal circumstances that it looks like code itself. Are you trying to communicate something about the Marine Corps (USMC) ... ?
    Sugar Fidelis.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like Succar Infidelis to me.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Now now, don't go being sensible and stuff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

First word that sprung to mind was "cotton". Could easily be talking about another product to throw off people who are nearby, and cotton candy is spun sugar.

Does it make sense in a world where cotton candy doesn't exist? Probably not! Do I have a craving now for cotton candy? Absolutely.