Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Zim's Hell's Rebels


    Even with the cobblestones of Argent Avenue and the foliage of Aria Park still wet from the morning's light rain, dozens of Kintargans have gathered in the cobbled fountain plaza between the scrollworked facade of the opera house and one of the park's artificial but tranquil reservoirs to protest the city's new lord-mayor, Paracount Barzillai Thrune. The city's new leader was appointed by Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II, in the wake of the previous lord-mayor's sudden flight from the city—an event that still has local rumormongers whispering furiously. In a scant seven days, Paracount Thrune has instituted martial law, a curfew, and seven outlandish and polarizing proclamations. These actions and more have called many of Kintargo's dissatisfied citizens here on this overcast morn. There's been no sign yet of Barzillai Thrune himself, and the opera house's doors remain tightly closed—as they have since the man chose the landmark as his new home—but judging by the growing sound of the protesters, he surely can't ignore the scene on the streets below much longer.

    The dozen or so dottari flanking the opera house's opulent glass windows and barricading the grand staircase leading to the entrance are already struggling to keep order, aided in no small part by the discord among the protesters. Levelers political and economic in the smocks and aprons of the workshops, patriots both Kintargan and Chelish waving blue-and-silver and red-and-black flags respectively, burghers straining under Thrune's new taxes and the proclamation that obliged them to leave their best clothes at home, and agitators in gray Galtan bandanas looking to settle the Thrune problem with a cathartic riot all seek to sway the crowd, forming rowdy knots that clash with harsh words if not yet fists. The dottari commander, a greasy-haired woman bedecked with polearms, axes, and the red cross-inscribed circle of Cheliax, twitches in anticipation, awaiting her opportunity to let loose on the mob.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright, everybody, here's how this is gonna work. You're coming to the protest around eight o'clock in the morning, and will be shaping events as they unfold hour by hour. Describe what you do as you enter Aria Park, and pick the most appropriate one of the following options for your character to perform over the course of the first hour:

    • Listen for Rumors (attempt a Diplomacy check to gather information or a Perception check to overhear a conversation);
    • Pilfer (attempt a Sleight of Hand check to pick an unsuspecting pocket—dottari or citizen);
    • Rabble Rouse (attempt a Diplomacy or Perform check to sway a part of the crowd to your point of view);
    • Search for a Contact (attempt a Perception check to spot the person who invited you to the demonstration among the crowd);
    • Silence Undesirable Elements (attempt a Bluff or Intimidate check to silence one of the factions described above: levelers, Kintargo patriots, Chelish loyalists, free traders, and provocateurs); or
    • Watch the Crowd (attempt a Perception or Sense Motive check to pick up on crowd dynamics and events that may otherwise go unnoticed).

    I'll let you know when it's time to choose for the second hour, depending on how and whether PCs react to each other and to events both instigated and random.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-12-23 at 09:02 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thrax gazes up at the crowd. Literally. There are humans everywhere, all of 'em tall and lanky and annoying. And loud. So damn loud. How do they even stand listening to each other? They don't. They tune each other out and wait for their turn to spill their own stupid opinions while everyone else ignores them. And the cycle of idiocy continues.

    He grunts and takes a long drag of his cigarette before blowing smoke into the crowd. When someone remarks in a negative way, he simply tosses the lit bud in her direction. Let her dodge embers. Maybe her ugly dress will catch fire. In any case, he's here for a reason, so he better get started.

    The Farmer wouldn't approve. Probably. They'd say something like 'Opportunities like this should be used to graze a farm, or pluck some crops, or sow a row to the barn.'

    But Thrax doesn't care. Damn humans think they can do whatever they like and it doesn't affect anyone. He'll show them. He'll show them all. He'll make them understand the pain they're inflicting, one way or the other.

    Thrax lets his sword glisten in the light as he marches straight up to the aristocrats and gets in their faces. "Let me tell you something, you bunch of silver spoon-licking cowards! Each and every one of you sods is lucky to be where you are. So how about you shut your damn mouths and let everyone who isn't so lucky have their say, eh? Do you really think things are any better under this jerk Thrune than they were under Baisilius? I didn't think so. Now sit down!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Intimidate to Silence Undesirable Elements (Chelish loyalists): (1d20+5)[7], -4 if the crowd as a whole are considered to be a larger Size than Thrax.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    It is with the face of someone in a bad mood that Faustino shows up in Aria Park, just a quarter after eight in this rainy morning. A man of less than average girth, he is clad in a fashionably blue coat, a rapier at his side, and shiny, low black boots, topped with an elaborate wig of curled blond hair. He keeps the cause of his bad mood to himself, although those who know him might guess that it has to do with having to forgo his favorite silk shirt this morning, and replace it by a much more plain one, made of simple linen.

    He gives a fleeting glance to the dottari and their leader, idly noting the ridicule in their uniforms. Those must have been designed by someone whose grandson is long dead of old age, no wonder they're out of date. He look at the crowd with more sympathy. Moving through the crowd, he realizes these are people fed up, thoroughly fed up with their government. His always busy, always curious mind takes notes for later use. Quotes for my next essay maybe, or possibly a play. But this isn't what he's looking for.

    As the protest grows, Faustino remains quiet, instead keeping an eye out for the person he hopes to see - a man with only one glove, a black one. Those news had better be good.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Search for a contact. Perception (1d20+7)[9] (includes +2 from the protes'ts temp bonus)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-12-24 at 07:09 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Garrett approaches the scene with a wary gaze. Eyes and ears are everywhere. If he's heard correctly, his funeral was three days hence- the thought brings a wry grin to his face- so perhaps they won't be watching for him quite so hard. Not much to do for it, though. Unkept hair and a hood will only go so far.

    Still, for the last three weeks, it's been enough. He's existed under the nose of his family and Thrune's flunkies without attracting unwanted attention. Maybe it'll be enough...

    To Protest the Government
    It'll have to be enough, because it's about time to take a stand. Surely, none of the Tanessens will be at such an event- they have reputations to maintain, after all. Without really knowing what he's looking for, Garrett spends the first hour quietly perusing the crowd. One of the lessons that stuck with him, after all, was knowing when to speak- and more importantly, when to not speak.

    So, for the moment, he wanders the crowd, snorting at a few of the more ridiculous claims. Once, he almost trips over a Halfling, loudly berating a small knot of sympathizers. He offers a quiet "Pardon, apologies," to deflect the diminutive fellow's momentary ire, and moves along. He peeks back over his shoulder. Odd fellow, that one...

    Spoiler: Watching the crowd
    Show
    Rolled in OOC: 19. If it matters whether I'm using perception or sense motive, I'd choose sense motive.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    The hour is late, and yet Catriona is here. When she heard about the Glorious Reclamation, she had already started to move from her abode in Korvosa, but then word had come through her network that Kintargo itself had fallen under martial law. The ship that brought her here was quick, but still not fast enough for her taste. At least, she has Devlin to thank for not tipping off Geoff about her arrival in the city. There is no way around what is about to happen in this place, what was once the heart of Kintargan civil liberty and artistic expression. Now, it has been twisted into the lair of a tyrant.

    Aria Park. How long has it been since she's walked these cobblestones? Although she has been home for nearly a week now, she hasn't had the opportunity to explore nearly as much of Kintargo as she would have liked. Despite the fact that it was Lord-Mayor Bainilius' reluctant decree that banished her, something tells Cat that Barzillai Thrune will not be willing to pardon her. Therefore, her meetings with past allies have been fairly circumspect. At the very least, they have been relatively productive. Kestorianix is no doubt somewhere in the crowd, looking for his mysterious contact with the black glove. They had agreed to split up, to try and cover more ground. Looking at the festering chaos now though, Catriona questions the wisdom of that decision.

    Especially considering what she is about to do next.

    Catriona is glad to see that the benches where the cobblestones meet the grass are still there, rooted in place. It always was one of her favorite places to have a tete-a-tete with somebody. Something about the backdrop of nature meeting the stones has always proved conducive to conversation. Today's speech is just... on a larger scale, that's all. The young woman takes a deep breath as she approaches the area. Through the crowd, she spots the wig and blue coat of Kestorianix, and gives him a nod. Then, gently pushing somebody aside, she stands on the bench to face the crowd. Her breastplate - although scratched and worn from her many years of travel - gleams in the mid-morning mist. Pulling back the hood of her cloak that for so long has hidden her features, Catriona lets her honey-blonde hair tumble down to her midsection, catching the attention of those nearby. She hides behind the Strangford mask no longer.

    "Praise be to the victorious, the conquering heroes of Thrune!" she calls caustically in the direction of the Chelish patriots and the fearsomely arrayed dottari forces alike. Her voice carries farther than she expected. "Since the brave knights of the Glorious Reclamation and other freedom fighters have proven too great to vanquish, these devils have decided to turn on their own subjects! It is only another in a line of grand errors, and one that will ultimately spell their doom. For the people of Kintargo will prove to be deadlier and more persistent enemies than even a league of trained knights!"

    "Friends, fellow subjects - for we are not yet free citizens, no matter what jumped up militia like these so-called 'Chelish Citizens' Group' may proclaim - if we want to see a Kintargo free of oppression, we must fight for new rights, and old rights renewed! First and foremost, we should be demanding for the right to organize and hold our own elections! This must be a true democratic government, one that does not hang under the specter of martial law. We should encourage people from all economic background and walks of life to get involved: the tieflings from the Devil's Nursery, the tengu of Bleakbridge, the dispossessed living in Old Kintargo. Even under Bainilius, the mandates of economic inequality and slavery - yes, slavery - were still tacitly accepted in the Silver City. The Court of Coin has had this city in its pockets for too long. No more!" Catriona takes a breath, letting the full weight of her words fall on the scores of ears below.

    "Whatever Kintargo becomes when Thrune is gone, you will have a hand in it. But it all comes down to you now: the farmers, the miners, the sailors. It is because of your hard work that we are able to call this place a city at all. Thrune can disperse our assemblies, burn down our meeting places and even lock us all up, but without your efforts this whole broken enterprise they call a 'monarchy' comes crumbling down. So lock arms, brothers and sisters, and look towards a brighter future!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For the first hour, Catriona is going to Rabble Rouse (in case my post didn't make it clear ). I'll be rolling Diplomacy, including the +2 from 'Keeping up on Current Events'.

    Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-12-24 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    As Ileosa arrives, she sees an already-gathered crowd ahead. Not too surprising, but it does hammer home just how big a step this is out of her normal routine. Attending a public event was already unusual, given that she hadn't done much special preparing and had only decided to go the day before. Slowly entering the park, Ileosa sticks to the edge of the crowd at first, looking this way and that but finding nothing with her quick glances. Of course it doesn't work - there are too many people being too noisy to find anyone. Someone shouts nearby, and Ileosa turns towards them, almost considering thanking them for proving her point. What had he even been shouting? It sounded like nonsense. It's only after a few moments' thought that she realizes what he had been attempting to say.

    Ileosa decides to think of something more pragmatic than the mangling of such elegant language by a man supposedly in favor of what it represented. Clearly, it wouldn't do to let things stay so rowdy, especially since - if the slim chance of Shensen actually being present turned into reality, she would need to find an event worth staying at, long enough to be found, or she would simply leave before Ileosa could ever find her. So things had to quiet down, at least to some degree. And who better to quiet than the most obnoxious of the crowd?

    Taking a few moments to ready herself, Ileosa steps up to one of the men holding up the Chelish red-and-black. As she opens her mouth, a story comes to her, putting itself together a moment before she speaks it. "Excuse me," she says, and glances back towards where one of the Kintargan banners is waving, "Are you sure it's a good idea to be this loud? I mean - how does it look? We don't want to be the same as them," Ileosa points a thumb at one of the blue-and-silver-carrying men. "Isn't it better everyone can see the difference? Proper Chelish folk lined up and quiet, strong but waiting for the order - and then the rabble, crying like children who want a new toy."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ileosa is going to try and silence the Chelish loyalists with Bluff.

    Bluff: (1d20+7)[20]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    The crowd ebbs and swells, some groups growing in rambunctiousness and noise, while others tend to leave off, little by little. Garrett continues his odd patrol, noting in particular an oddly-familiar blonde- woman. Her words clearly aren't falling on deaf ears, though the young man doesn't pay much attention besides to note her clearly anarchistic bent. With an unsure expression and a shrug, he moves on.

    Among the Chelish loyalists, a small brunette woman seems to be garnering a lot of attention, despite the odds. Odd, that they'd care what she has to say, given her stature. Since when have the Chelish listened to women, anyway? Still, she seems to be something of a limiting factor, as several of the red-and-black garbed fellows seem to be less vocal than before... Bizarre... Unsure and unperturbed, the ex-nobleman walks on.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Faustino Kestorianix wanders the crowd, unsuccessfully looking for the mysterious black gloved stranger. His spirits improve markedly, in spite of his failure to spot anything like the man, because the gathering proves to be even more interesting than he had hoped for. I hadn't realized that people were this angry. The writer's vanity in him, never far below the surface, is flattered once or twice when he hears arguments that are straight from one of his recent pamphlets. He looks, wide-eyed, at the audacity of one halfling who dares insulting the best-clothed citizens to their faces. This one has guts to match what he lacks in wisdom...

    But it's when he hears the lady Tanessen's speech that he is really impressed. Her superb oratory, clearly heard over half of the rowdy crowd, can't be missed, and he just enjoys the beautiful balance of the pitch and tone of her voice from a purely professional, clinical perspective. She looks even more stunning than at the Academy, and she's been working on her expression... He idly wonders if he could suggest she'd take a minor speaking part in The Rise of Kintargo's Children, a play that he's been mulling in his mind for a few weeks.

    So engrossed is he in Catriona's delivery that it takes a few sentences before the actually message in her address registers. Really? Democratic government? Where does she gets such ideas? The sheer absence of realism in trying to change the world by haranguing the rabble in such an abstract fashion leaves him flabbergasted. He knows better than interrupting such a compelling orator, however, and waits with bated breath for the audience's reaction.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thraximundar sees little change in the peoples' opinion from his words. That suits him just as well, these people are easier to deal with when they're too stupid to know what's good for them.

    A voice raises above the crowd. Thraximundar blinks and turns behind him. "Speaking of stupid..."

    A woman steps up near Thraximundar and begins speaking to the same jerks he's trying to calm down. They seem to be more inclined to listen to her, so Thraximundar nods and walks off. He's got to hear more from this idiot in the center.

    "Sweet-sounding words coming from a pretty face," he comments, taking a drag and blowing a thick cloud of smoke into Catronia's face. "Here's the practical question, though: In case you have forgotten, what with the family name and the army of trained knights and the idiots cheering about our nation behind me, we live in an empire. You think we can have 'free elections', whatever that means? For starters, you can't even say it's a free election for the people when so many remain in bondage, not that a fancy-dressed human like yourself gives a rat's ass about a slip. But more importantly, what's going to happen when our freely elected leader disagrees with Her Imperial Magistrex, huh? If he kowtows to whatever Abrogail says, then the election is meaningless. And if he resists, then we all die. Have you ever seen a mage when they get pissed off? It's not a pretty sight, let me tell you."

    He tosses the butt at her feet and lets it smolder and smoke in her area. "Stop making the rest of us look crazy. Just because we think these aristocrats have gone too far, it doesn't mean we need to be signing a death sentence for this entire city. In case you haven't noticed, the Order of the Torrent abandoned us. The mayor is missing in action. And half the people in the Nursery that you want to get involved hate your guts because you represent everything they should have been but couldn't. There is no 'brothers and sisters' to be found here, not even among this crowd."
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2017-12-27 at 12:20 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Spoiler: GM Notes, do not read
    Show
    Party Awards 1,200 XP, 3 supporters
    Catriona Awards +1 circumstance to Charisma checks, crowds not difficult terrain
    Garret Awards read agitated but nonviolent crowd dynamic, spot a thief

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Catriona gains a +1 circumstance bonus to Charisma checks for the duration of the demonstration.

    For Hour Two, the same options remain, only you may not now attempt to silence the Chelish loyalists.

    "Good thinking, your ladyship," muses the muscular man with the Chelish flag, giving Ileosa an appreciative glance. "It's what we'd have done in the army," he adds, hoisting the flag pole over his shoulder and cupping the bottom in his left hand. With his right, he gestures to some of his cohort, calling "Get in line! Form ranks! Less you want to face the mob all lonely-like." Some of the loyalists nearby listen, but their attempts to get in order see them driven to the edge of the crowd facing the Opera House by the pressure of it. One, maybe also inspired by martial memory, draws a short sword and is spotted by a pair of dottari, who clap him in irons for incitement.

    "That's not on!" shouts the flag-carrier, gripping the base of the flagpole now but largely abandoned. A group of bandana-wearing anarchists wrestle the flag away from him and trample it before they are themselves scattered by the dottari. But the damage is done. That faction of loyalists, at least, has seen their attempt to organize backfire. Nobody else seems to have an appetite for violence, at least not yet, and certainly not with the dottari successfully keeping order.

    Spoiler: Garret
    Show
    At this time, you spot a pickpocket lifting the unfortunate loyalist's purse amid the confusion. Add your reaction into your actions for Hour Two.


    Meanwhile, a mixed group of workers and shopkeepers have gathered around the soapboxing Catriona and Thrax, choosing sides and amplifying their argument. Some, including a canny-looking tengu who thanks him for "not wanting to stick all our necks out for nothing," hoist the halfling up on a nearby bench to try and match the noblewoman's stature.

    It doesn't work terribly well, and Catriona seems to have swayed the better part of the crowd for now. Each new demand is met with a cheer and a call: "if we don't get it, shut it down!" But as the sun climbs higher into the sky, who knows how passions will bend?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Catriona sees the halfling man approach, and does not flinch when the first coils of acrid smoke waft up against her face and hair. She's certainly seen worse, and she's not about to let such a thing bother her now. The halfling's words hit a little bit closer to home, and she can't help but feel a stab of forlorn pity before dismissing it as being condescending. Instead, she willingly descends from her bench, to stand in the midst of the crowd. Standing above the masses and pontificating will undercut what she says next.

    "I don't have the requisite words to apologize to your brethren in chains. I know how this must look: a human woman preaching to you about freedom when in truth most of my kind do not know what it means to be truly oppressed. But I spoke the truth when I called for organizing elections among all classes. Slavery cannot be tolerated! Too long has Thrune held the iron yoke over the halflings of Cheliax, and beyond. If we, as Kintargans, have any chance at making life better for anyone here, then we need to unify." Catriona already has the crowd's attention. She does not intend on losing it here, not now.

    "All across Cheliax and beyond, rebellions against the regime are underway. In Westcrown, the Glorious Reclamation works to throw off tyranny. They make a valiant stand in the name of all that is good and righteous. Just down in Hellcoast, the brave playwrights and partisans of Pezzack stand up to the Chelish Navy. There is also historical precedent for shaking off Chelish control: Andoran did it first. Do you see Her Infernal Majestrix getting off of her throne in Egorian to blast any of them to Hell? I should think not. We are not as alone as you might think! The Order of the Torrent may be gone, but the common people of Kintargo can - and must - learn to take care of themselves. Lord-Mayor Bainilius may be gone, but we do not need a mouthpiece for imperial sovereignty. A rebellion, organized and extended across the world's old duchy and country boundaries, can withstand the forces of Cheliax. The dawn of democracy is already here: all we need do is spread the word of its coming!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For the second hour, I'll continue to Rabble Rouse, taking that +1 into account.

    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[17]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-12-29 at 08:10 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thraximundar snorts. "Well, now you're just talking crazy. Do you realize how many people in this city own slaves? All of them rich. If the people who owned slaves were willing to free them, they would have done so already. So you can count on each and every one of them to fight you at every turn during your little protest. And if you don't have the most powerful people on your side, how can you expect to fight against Thrune?"

    Thraximundar shakes his head. "You are a child, truly. You speak of emancipation as if it is something we can achieve simply by wishing for it. Do you think there exists enough additional housing in this city for those who live in bondage to suddenly all become free and independent? Do you think there is a place for their labor? How would they bargain for wages when they have no idea what their services are worth? And do you truly expect to conduct free elections when so much of their population is illiterate?"

    He stamps his foot. "But again, this isn't about me and it is not about my people. There is an army of Hellknights who are totally loyal to the Empress here. They hunt and 'censure' those who possess dangerous information or opinions. You had best sleep with a knife under your pillow tonight, little miss. The rest of us have no interest in some grand revolution."

    Suddenly aware that some people are listening to him, Thraximundar decides to stop challenging the woman's points and make a few of his own. This isn't something that he's particularly accustomed to doing, but he can tell these people are looking for guidance by the way someone lifted him up. He frowns and clears his throat.

    "If you all are expecting a grand speech of inspiration or something, you can get that from her. I'm just going to tell it like it is: these proclamations are nonsense! And who the hell is this guy to close the Opera House, anyway? Doesn't he care that a lot of people enjoy going there? Doesn't he care that a lot of people earn their living there? No! Well, I say, screw him! Thrune can answer for all of his weird rules to our face. Just because he's the mayor, it doesn't mean he can just waltz in and make our lives a living hell for no reason!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Guess I'll Rabble Rouse as well. Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[9]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    A voice rises behind Thraximundar, somehow rising above the exclamations of the crowd at his inflammatory discourse.
    "With all respect, dear Sir, openly talking about fighting Thrune doesn't sound all that different from calling for free elections. Both are rather risky language in this gloriously free city of ours!" Faustino eloquently points his hand towards the dottari now rounding up some hot-headed Cheliax loyalists.

    "Still, as far as I can see, your view ultimately rejoins that of the honored lady, over here - a flourish and bow in Catriona's direction punctuate that address. Aren't you both questioning the iron chains? Aren't you both talking as Kintargans yearning for freedom? Aren't you both looking for the unity of citizens against unjust rulers?" So naturally it would take a trained ear to notice it, he falls into the rhythms and intonations of the drama stage.

    "... And yes, this is right and proper, I say! After all, aren't we all slaves to the whims of Thrunism? Even if rich and surrounded by bound servants, aren't we all just insects and cattle to the lords of the Empire? Aren't those decrees by our right honorable mayor - the contempt is dripping from those words as he utters them - pains in the unlucky buttocks of all, rich or poor, free or enslaved, strong or frail, artisan or scholar, halfling or elf or human or tengu or tiefling?

    As he speaks, he looks around into the crowd, hoping to find, among the audience attracted by all those orations, the single-gloved person he has been looking for.

    "For, yes, the honored lady is right, just as the honest halfling is right! I don't know if the way to our future is in elections, if we need new laws or just new rulers, if tomorrow morning will bring a proclamation mandating snowfall from the sky or forbidding citizens to sneeze during lunch on Oathdays. But I know one thing: We need change! We need a different life! We need to join forces, and voices, and hearts!"

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Since we aren't in combat, I'm going to assume Faustino can take more than one action during his speech:
    - Using the Spellsong feat and 1 round of bardic performance to conceal his spellcasting with his performance. The spell is Adoration, cast on Catriona. She gets a +2 morale bonus on all Diplomacy checks to influence creatures, for 1 minute. The performance is Perform(Oratory) (1d20+8)[20]. Observers must make a Perception or Sense Motive check beating that Perform check to realize he's also casting a spell.
    - Diplomacy to Aid Another towards Catriona (1d20+8)[16].
    - Diplomacy to Aid Another towards Thraximundar (1d20+8)[15].
    - Perception to find his contact (1d20+7)[18].

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thraximundar blinks and turns to the man behind him. "...You wanna run that by me again? 'Aren't we all slaves'? Uh...no?"

    He grabs at his sword and draws it, pointing it at the man. "Shall I show you what slavery looks like? Do you want me to confine you against your will, clap you in actual irons, and have you wash my underclothes while I harass your sister and lay claim to your children? You cannot tell me that you know what it's like to stand over a woman you love, smiling as she pushes out your child, only to have someone else say 'this belongs to me'. A child. Our child. As if a baby is a possession that can be handed off to someone else!"

    Thraximundar sheathes his weapon, having no intention of ever using it here. "I, for one, am not here to demand a new life in a new city. Are we so quick to forget the Night of Ashes? We already have a new ruler, and he's just settling in. Maybe things were different back in Westcrown or Erdogan or where ever he's from, but he can't get away with this crap here. All I'm here to do is tell him that. If he wants to be the Lord Mayor, he's welcome to it. No different than anyone else who would do the job. But he's not going to just waltz out of his bedroom and toss new proclamations out onto the streets as easily as he would break wind."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    When the angry halfling draws his sword, Faustino takes a step back, surprised at the sudden, brutal flourish. "Put... Put that back where it belongs..." When the halfling does so, he comes down on one knee to put his eyes at the other's level.

    He hisses, trying to keep his voice low enough to be heard only by his debate opponent. "That was idiotic. Didn't you see the dottari arresting these other cretins just for doing exactly that?" Dropping the flowery rhetoric, he seamlessly switches into more of a man of the street intonation.

    "You want to kick Brazillai's butt, you got to learn to be a bit smarter about it. I was trying to help you, for Erastil's sake! How many slaves do you think you had in your audience, and how many masters? And how many who are neither and have other concerns? You want to carry the crowd, you need something for each of them. I get it that they aren't slaves in the same way your folk are, I'm not blind and deaf! But I want them to feel like they are, that they have things in common! Now I guess you'd better hide before getting yourself arrested!"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    As the crowd stirs, a trio of outspoken individuals begins carrying more and more of the rabble's attention. Let them have it, the young man wonders, as his eyes track his quarry. For he strides past the trio, attention locked on a would-be thief. Fortunately, he only started a few dozen feet away, or he'd never seen the exchange and noticed his opportunity. He approaches the pickpocket from behind, and affects his very best voice of authority.

    Without warning, his hand shoots out, clamping a near-iron grip on the rogue's upper bicep. "and exactly what do you plan on doing with that man's purse?" Garrett demands, the tone expecting no answer. He doesn't give the man time to respond, regardless. "Hand it over, if you're not keen to rot in a cell for a week for incitement!"

    Spoiler: Pickpocket OOC
    Show
    The plan is to strong-arm the pickpocket into giving Garrett the purse. Garrett has no intentions of returning it to its rightful owner. He is deliberately imitating the Dottari peacekeepers, perhaps in disguise as "regular" attendees. I, for obvious reason, would prefer to lean on the intimidation side of things rather than bluff.
    (1d20+12)[19] intimidate (including bonus for protesting the government) (if I understand correctly, the Law+4 modifier of Kintargo should apply here, as well?)
    (1d20+8)[14] bluff (same bonus), if you feel it is more important, or of significant import otherwise


    That matter dealt with, for better or ill, Garrett returns to his practice of avoiding notice. He strolls about somewhat randomly, offering vague niceties and questions of more significant import than they appear.

    Spoiler: 2nd hour OOC
    Show
    Garrett will listen for rumors, using diplomacy: (1d20+6)[17]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Ileosa is quick to slip away from the flag-waving Chelish patriot as soon as she can; only a few moments later, her actions seem to be rewarded as the dottari step in. Certainly not something she would want to be involved with. It's also somewhat worrisome - while things are under control for now, there's nothing to guarantee that the status quo will continue. It's entirely possible that Shensen was watching, in hiding, waiting for it to be clear that she could emerge without fear. Beyond that, there were legitimate complaints being aired, and it would be a loss if the protest ended in violence because a few radicals got into a fight. It's that thought which turns her towards the wearers of the Galtan gray. If they could be removed, things would quiet down to a degree, and the character of those standing before the opera house would appear more respectable. Of course, the former matter is called into question by the drama apparently rising near several benches in the park. Ileosa doesn't catch much of it, seeing a top of a woman sticking up from the crowd, hearing a few words about subjects and elections, then hearing an angry voice retorting from somewhere inside the crowd.

    Whatever it is, it has the attention of what looks to be a good number of people. Which means she's less likely to be noticed herself. Ileosa makes her way through the crowd slowly, moving occasionally and often towards the center of attention, to appear less unusual for doing so. Moves away are cloaked, whenever she can do so, in allowing someone else to step forwards for a better view, or to catch what's being said. Once Ileosa has managed to maneuver towards the provocateurs, she puts her plan into action - what better way to deal with such folks than provoking them?

    "Hey," Ileosa greets one, pulling at her collar and surreptitiously pointing at the grayish fur lining the inside of her cloak, "I've got word - now's the time," she says, deliberately refraining from going on a further tangent about her newly-invented backstory. She didn't know if there was anyone else to have sent her, so it was best to stay vague. "Hear that? These folks are ready to get to work, if you know what I mean," Ileosa adds with a jerk of her head towards the noise caused by the argument behind her. It's a gesture her mother hated, and had immediately forbidden once she returned home - which hopefully meant it was 'common' enough that it would help cement her identity as a normal woman. Or, rather, a normal woman who wanted a riot, but...only so much she could do there.

    Of course, the noise behind her is far from an indication that the crowd is ready to riot. Really, Ileosa hopes it will have the opposite effect. A handful of men and woman rushing forwards to cause trouble would likely end up in irons in moments, while the crowd is confused or simply not paying attention. Their lack of support would gut the efforts of any others remaining, and hopefully give the appearance of a handful of foolish lone actors in an otherwise proper bunch of citizens.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Ileosa is going to provoke the provocateurs! (And try and suppress them.)

    Bluff: (1d20+7)[18]

    I'm beginning to feel that I should've found a different reason to protest...but making people shut up is way more fun than just watching!
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    The halfling glares into the idiot's eyes. "They have a lot more serious things to arrest me for, if they ever catch me," he replies coldly. "And why do I need your help, exactly? I'm here to show that I'm pissed. Once that jerk Thrune shows his face, I'll tell him exactly how pissed I am. I don't need anyone else to help with that. What's all this about 'carrying the crowd', huh? Are you making a joke about how short I am? I may not be able to pick any of you up, but I'm at the perfect height to put you on the ground in a heartbeat, jerk."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Spoiler: GM Notes, do not read
    Show
    Party Awards 1,600 XP, 6 supporters
    Catriona Awards +1 circumstance to Charisma checks, crowds not difficult terrain; +1 circumstance bonus to Charisma checks
    Garret Awards read agitated but nonviolent crowd dynamic, spot a thief (11 gp rolled in Hangouts); rumor (1 rolled in Hangouts)
    Faustino Awards read agitated but nonviolent crowd dynamic, spot a thief

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Catriona has a total +2 circumstance bonus to Charisma checks for the duration of the demonstration.
    Garret has 11 gp.

    For Hour Three, the same options remain, only you may not now attempt to silence the Chelish loyalists or Anarchists.

    Despite Faustino's intentions, the crowd remains firmly with Catriona. There's some amazement at the idea that the Glorious Reclamation has taken Westcrown already, and wilder rumors than that soon start to fly.

    Spoiler: Garret
    Show
    "I heard Lord-Mayor Bainilus didn’t flee to Arcadia at all. Broke her neck falling down a flight of stairs.
    Praying a bit too hard to Cailean, if you understand my meaning," you hear clearly, amid the general din.


    Spoiler: Faustino
    Show
    You see Garret shake down his thief and pocket his purse. What do you do?


    Thrax seems to have alienated his erstwhile supporters with allusions to his rap sheet. It seems respectability still carries weight even in Kintargo, and there remains little appetite for violence. Even the gray-bandanaed rowdies by Ileosa blanch ashen at the thought of actually following through with their deeds, and begin trading excuses. "Do you have anyone to bail you out if things start going south?" "If my prof finds out, he'll probably get them to keep me in another week!"
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-01-04 at 08:41 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Taken aback, again, by the halfling's aggressiveness, Faustino looks at him in a mix of surprise, annoyance, and pity. "Suit yourself. In case you want to know, 'carrying the crowd' means having them on your side. But you don't care for that. Point taken. Well, if you want to be on your own ... Sounds like you're doing great, right now." He rises back to his feet, to pointedly look at the onlookers, busy putting some distance between themselves and the diminutive ball of anger.

    "Well, who am I to stand between you and success? Let me leave you alone as is your wish. Best of luck calling Thrune naughty names." He turns on his heels and walks away, not caring to hear the dismissive and insulting answer he can already read on the halfling's face.

    As he moves on to scan the crowd, still looking for his elusive contact, he spies a tall, erect man lecturing some sheepish-looking youngster, who ends up proffering a purse, undoubtedly laden with coins. Considering the outcome of his fresh attempt to insert himself into someone else's conflict, he sees no need to step in. Instead, he takes good note of the pair's faces and commits the information to memory as another testament to Kintargan resourcefulness.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does Faustino read the whole situation, ie that the purse was originally stolen from another? In case of need: Sense Motive (1d20+7)[17] including +2 from his reason to protest (meeting a contact).

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Shortly after her words seem to have taken effect - even though they're not what she expected; apparently she'd overestimated their desire to actually act as they had been agitating towards - Ileosa again does her best to slip away. With the risk of a riot seemingly dealt with, Ileosa devotes her efforts to finding the one she'd come to try and see, starting closer to the opera house and then moving towards the edges and back of the crowd. It would be silly for her to miss the unlikely appearance of Shensen just because she checked the edges of the park first...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    This would be a Perception check, right?

    Perception: (1d20+2)[9] (Includes the +2 from protest purpose)

    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Catriona shakes her head in something akin to disappointment. For all of his fervor against her arguments, the halfling fellow is somewhat well-spoken. Still, she cannot let his points stand, especially when some of them are in error. Nobody else in the democratic contingent that is present here today is speaking up, so it falls to her to do so.

    "To address your points: those with social and economic power only do so because of the tacit social contracts that keep them there! Nobility is a fickle thing, and the Court of Coin only stay where they are because of old names and old blood. If the true heroes of Ravounel, the laborers who work to produce the very goods that make this city run, stand up together, the aristocracy becomes worthless. Thrune and his cronies cannot enslave and jail an entire populace! Doing so would cripple the apparent stability upon which the current regime sits. And we have heard news of Kintargo's jails already being full to bursting. What more encouragement do you need to join the cause?"

    "As for space and commodities for those freed, you have need but look to Kintargo itself! The Sallix Salt Works, once a great source of income for the Silver City, now pays its tithes directly to the Chelish government. Thrune would steal the money needed to build new homes right out of the pockets of their prospective tenants. The Kintargo Opera House in front of which we now stand was a source of jobs, just as much as it was culture and high art. If Thrune were to be ousted, it could be both again! The shipyards and streets of Old Kintargo only await those with the will and skill to refurbish them. All across this city lie buildings abandoned due to pointless violence brought to bear in the name of law. All the Night of Ashes told us was where we should be devoting our attention."


    Catriona has the crowd now. Her words have started to really take hold. As the halfling starts to turn away, distracted by the words of none other than Faustino - which are themselves creed of unity, appreciated in principle if not exactly in execution - the oracle claps the backs of the nearest workers in friendly admiration. The masses pass for her now, and she allows herself to feel a little thrill at the shared excitement that emanates from the men and women around her. The blonde’s smile is radiant as she draws succour from the crowd’s support.

    So this is what it feels like, to stand at the head of a wave. Catriona only hopes that she can actually help these people. If even a few are swayed by her words here today, she will have made a difference.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thraximundar watches the man go and shakes his head. Bunch of lunatics...

    The noblewoman continues rambling, but Thrax pays her no mind. He's said what he came to say. Thrune can't ignore their cries for much longer, so he's content to stand quietly towards the back of the crowd and wait to see if the bastard actually shows his face.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Garrett waits for the would-be thief to disappear into the crowd, watching him as he tries to avoid further notice from the broad-shouldered "Dottari." Heh. Too easy. With a quiet chortle, he pockets the coin, planning to count it later.

    He moves on, further away from the short-lived spat between Halfling and Human. Rumors of assault and murder from the Asmodeans earn a sneer and a derisive spit. "Seems just like 'em. Only thing better than an accident is a killing that looks like one." His hands clench, but he restrains himself a bit, knowing better than to press the issue- especially in this context. With one last grimace, he turns away.

    Shuffling to the side, he decides to throw in with the outspoken woman. He doesn't know for sure if he agrees with all this "election" talk, but someone is gonna come out on top, and it looks like her. He meanders to where she's speaking, and begins to walk through the crowds. "Aye, that's right, it is! Thrune can't beat us all if we stand together!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rabble-rousing, in support of Catriona
    (1d20+6)[13] diplomacy

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does Faustino read the whole situation, ie that the purse was originally stolen from another? In case of need: Sense Motive (1d20+7)[17] including +2 from his reason to protest (meeting a contact).
    Spoiler: OOC Gwynfrid
    Show
    Yes, Faustino read the whole situation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Catriona has a total +3 circumstance bonus to Charisma checks for the duration of the demonstration, and crowds will now part before her such that her movement is not hampered.
    Garrett has 11 gp.

    Everyone not Catriona: crowds count as difficult terrain for the purposes of combat. Since I'm not using a map, please take pains to acknowledge this in your posts going forward.

    The party gains 1,600 XP for characters' various actions during the protest. That's 320 XP per character.


    Thrax was the first speaker to utter it, and now with Catriona throwing her weight behind the demand and Garrett livening up the crowd, the cry begins to grow for Thrune to throw open the doors of the Opera House. The mass of people pushes north, towards the magnificent facade, and the dottari bunch up around the base of the grand staircase, their commander gazing down both on her troops and on the crowd from above. Someone thinks to break a window to get inside, but instead of glass, it's the two-by-four he smacks it with that shatters; Thrune, or one of its previous caretakers, must have thought to reinforce the windows magically.

    Suddenly, an alarum from the east! three grating peals from the Devil’s Bells of the Temple of Asmodeus. The plush, blood-red curtains backing the opera house's balcony part, and out steps an imposing figure that can only be Barzillai Thrune. He wears an ornate breastplate that tapers to points over his shoulders and behind his head, and a red tabard and cape embroidered with interlocking orange designs. Asmodeus's pentagram adorns his shoulder, and Cheliax's cross his belt buckle. From that belt hangs a diabolical mace licked with red flame. He has a receding widow's peak as Felix clipped almost to the scalp, making it seem lighter than its true black. He swirls a glass of red wine in his hand, and clears his throat to quiet the crowd.

    "Ah, my adoring little chickadees,” he sneers condescendingly. This greeting is met with boos, especially from the contingent around Catriona. "I am sorry to say I have not yet adapted to your quaint, country ways, being accustomed as I am to the sophistication and learning of Egorian. Nonetheless, know I have heard your concerns, and that I appreciate your valued feedback. I know we shall eventually find a mutual understanding in the fullness of time. I take pride in updating Kintargo's outdated laws to the modern standards the city deserves, and strengthening its ties with the empire in these cruel times, but obviously I have approached my duties too aggressively."

    That sets the crowd a-murmur, and there are scattered sarcastic shouts of agreement. Thrune holds up his hand, and they quiet. "You say you chafe at the presence of foreigners in positions of power? That authorities not of this city have no place as its leaders? That you will not be yoked by intruders? Your lord-mayor hears you. And so it is with a heavy heart that I issue this proclamation, in response to your demands: all foreign ships' captains are hereafter barred from leaving their vessels and setting foot on Kintargo docks or streets, under pain of… let's say… squassation!"

    All around, the crowd roars its outrage. The nerve of Thrune, to impose torture as punishment on a free people! The front ranks of the crowd begin pelting the dottari with rotten vegetables, scraps of wood, and other refuse. One handful of manure reaches almost up to Barzillai's balcony, and though it falls short, he flinches and spills wine down his front.

    "Enough of this!" he shrieks. "Nox, run them off, arrest them, or kill them. I don't care which!" He disappears into the opera house with a rustle of curtains and a muffled door slam.

    The dottari commander, Nox, yells for her contingent to charge the crowd, but with Thrune out of reach she quickly becomes its prime target. Among the projectiles flung her way was a knife that lodges itself in her throat. With a snarl, she yanks it out, spraying blood onto the grand staircase—but only for a second. It was hard to tell from so far away, but as Nox ducks inside the opera house after her master, the torn flesh around her wound seems to soften and gel together. Meanwhile, four of the nearby protesters threw off their cloaks to reveal cruel-looking truncheons and the telltale black armbands of the Chelish Citizens Group militia.

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Since you all seem to be faster than me, and since it's early days yet, let's do this combat the traditional way.

    CCG Thugs [roll]1d20[/url]
    Thrax (1d20+2)[8]
    Catriona (1d20+4)[22]
    Garrett (1d20+2)[6]
    Ileosa (1d20+1)[4]
    Faustino (1d20+2)[18]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Spoiler: Initiative in Order
    Show
    I screwed up the enemies' initiative roll, so I rolled it in the hangouts. Here's the order:

    1. Catriona [22]
    2. Faustino [18]
    3. CCG Thugs [11]
    4. Thrax [8]
    5. Garrett [6]
    6. Ileosa [4]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    "Look at them, the proud, heroic lapdogs of the Lord-Braggard! Aren't they cute with the dainty little armbands? Are these lace? Remember, that's banned! Oh, wait, banned to all but to lapdogs, of course! How cutesy! Do these make you feel brave? Do you think they give you a right to crack skulls? They would, if citizens were prepared to kneel before you! But, mind you, not everyone is a coward like the lot of you!" Loud, clear and scathing, Faustino's voice carries over the crowd as he tries to move forward for a better look.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I have no idea if the opposition is within range of spells, but for a performance, they only need to be within earshot.
    So: Activating a Satire performance. Enemies who hear it take a -1 penalty to attack, damage, and saves vs fear.

    Faustino Kestorianix
    Human Bard 1 (Court Bard) CG
    HP 8 / 8 Speed30 ft Init 2
    AC 12 Fort 0 Ref 4 Will 3
    CMB -2 BAB 0
    rapier -2 (1d6-2, 18/x2)
    Str 7 (-2) Dex 14 (2) Con 10 (0) Wis 12 (1) Int 12 (1) Cha 18 (4)
    Performance rounds used 2/8
    (Note Faustino took his rapier, but no armor and no other weapon as he wasn't intending to be in a fight)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-01-04 at 10:52 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    As the new Lord Mayor finally steps out of the shadows to make his 'address' - truly a number of open threats and petty edicts spat at the crowd - Catriona can't help but glare back up at him. While her voice has been among the loudest of the protestors at Aria Park today, she has fallen very quiet as the shouting and booing of those around her intensifies. Instead, the statuesque woman does not break eye contact with the man up on the balcony. Barzillai Thrune. You represent the very worst of the rotten regime that is your Thrice-Damned family. Opportunistic, hypocritical, and vindictive. Catriona has come across many figures throughout her experiences with social revolt across the Inner Sea, and she has known those on the other side of the conflict who have instilled in her a sense of pity. Immediately, her mind strays too far, landing on a face that looks perilously like her brother. But this Paracount is another matter entirely. It's clear right away that he is utterly without pity for the plight of the common folk.

    The mention of squassation does not win him any sympathy points, either. As the predictable reaction from the crowd explodes around her, the oracle recognizes that it was likely Barzillai's aim to stir the crowd to riot. After all, the ranks of dottari now have an excuse to quell a riot. The subsequent appearance of the Chelish Citizens' Group doesn't surprise Catriona either. Why stop at just the city guard, when you can turn Kintargo's very people against each other to keep them from overrunning you? She can see this whole scenario spinning out of control right in front of her, devolving into senseless violence that will aid absolutely nobody in the long run.

    Not if I can help it. Through the throng, Catriona spots Faustino as he starts to shout out a stream of vitriolic epithets in the direction of the thugs with truncheons. As admirable as the bard's efforts will no doubt be, they won't be enough. There are simply too many people, and in too close quarters, to completely avoid bloodshed. This is a matter of life and death, and she has no time to think tactically. Seeing that many will part for her due to her demonstrations, Catriona charges to where the throng is thickest, close to the Chelish Citizens' Group members but not close enough to warrant an immediate counterattack. Then, the oracle closes her eyes and calls on the old magic. A wordless invocation escapes Catriona's lips, and as she raises her hands in a gesture, a thick fog roils out from beneath her cloak to cover all of Kintargo's citizens.

    Spoiler: Round 1 Actions
    Show
    First, Catriona will be moving into the crowd, getting close to the CCG thugs stopping at 10 ft away from the nearest one where the crowd is thickest. Then she will cast obscuring mist on the area.

    Spoiler: Catriona, Round 1
    Show
    Catriona Tanessen
    Female Chaotic Good Human Dual-Cursed Oracle, Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, DR -, Speed 20 ft
    AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 14, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Morningstar +1 (1d8+1, x2)
    Dagger +1 (1d4+1, 19-20x2)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 13, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Condition None
    Oracle Spells Known 0th level (∞) -- create water, detect magic, guidance, light
    1st level (3/4) -- cure light wounds, divine favor, obscuring mist
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-01-04 at 11:14 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Thrax is horrified by everything he's just seen. The new proclamation. The order to kill the protestors. And then the protestors' subsequent response of violence. He narrows his eyes. He is not above violence himself, but he uses it to hurt people who genuinely deserve it. Slavers. Disgusting humans who think they are better than other people. The type who would deny basic freedom. But this...this isn't freedom. This is anarchy.

    He draws his greatsword, ignoring the people in black armbands, and looks for the protestor who attacked Nox. He's going to dispense some justice.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception to find who threw the dagger. (1d20+4)[20]


    Once he finds the target, Thrax roars angrily and charges forward. "The Torrent is gone, you moron! Who do you trust to protect you? The Rack? Screw that! The dottari are the only people we can rely on now! How dare you strike out against their commander? Do you want them to abandon us as well?"

    He strikes the civilian and attempts to cleave through them in one blow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rage (+4 Str, +4 Con, -2 AC, +2 Will)
    HP 17, AC 13 (15 vs larger)
    Attack: (1d20+8)[27]/(1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[11]/(2d10+12)[19]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zim's Hell's Rebels

    Spoiler: GM Notes, do not read
    Show
    Rebellion, in addition to starting with 6 supporters, also starts out with [6] notoriety (rolled in Hangouts).

    Spoiler: Initiative for Round 2 and on
    Show
    1. Catriona [22]
    2. Faustino [18]
    3. CCG Thugs [11]
    4. Thrax [8]
    5. Dottari [17]
    6. Garrett [6]
    7. Ileosa [4]

    The dottari would have started acting on Round 3, but Thrax activated them early, so they're in combat for longer but act after he does in the order.


    Three dottari, seeing Thrax cleave Nox's attempted assassin nearly in two, break off from the cordon holding the staircase and wade into the crowd. One kneels by the body to check for life, and finding none, slings it over his shoulder mumbling something about interrogation and having to involve the Church of Asmodeus. The other two round on the halfling, maces at the ready. One's swing goes over Thrax's head, but the other comes down on top of it, rattling his brain and digging into his scalp. "You're under arrest," he says, as somewhat of an afterthought. The crowd immediately surrounding runs screaming away, some of the slower protesters being trampled in the press and lying piteously on the ground.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thrax takes [4] damage (rolled in Hangouts)


    The CCG-men, meanwhile, lose themselves in Catriona's mist, but they'd identified her as a target long before, and it doesn't stop them trying to get to where they think she is. Some lose their way, one finding Garret instead and missing with an impromptu swing of his truncheon, but one actually manages to find and hit Cat with a triumphant yowl.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Catriona takes [3] nonlethal damage, rolled in Hangouts
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-01-06 at 01:18 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •