New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Dwarven Bard Poems

I am playing a Dwarven Bard in an upcoming game. Going down the Poet/Storyteller route. I have ideas for stories that he will tell of famous heroes and legends, using bardic magic to make small figurines move to aid in storytelling(think Kubo and the Two Strings). What I do need help with is poems to tell. Can anyone help me with some Dwarven poem ideas? Regular fantasy poems are welcome too of course.
    Last edited by SirSlicksAlot; 2017-12-24 at 06:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarven Bard Poems

"Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarven poetry is grand. Of a dwarf writes a love poem it is an epic about how their love for another is eternal. Traditional carven poems require the better part of a week to perform.

In all seriousness, my dwarves would hold the idea of forms highly. You use an established form, or you play with it, bit dwarves do not use free verse. Forms are many and varied with a variety of rules, from the epics that are 1000 lines of fifteen syllables a line to the live poems of any length, but with lines of thirteen syllables and using an 'ababcdcd...' rhyme scheme. Base in mind this is also a society where a dwarf chooses their caste and shows this with their hairstyle (and can change cats by visiting a priest, cutting their hair, and then wearing it in the new style, bar the priest caste who shave their heads and ate in the caste for life).

This contrasts my elves ego don't have poetry. Sure, the sing and make art, but doing that to a form or even having a song that it's not spontaneous is considered anathema. Even physical elven art is specifically made so as to be temporary.

So I suppose my answer is, what kind of dwarven culture does the setting use?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

From what I understand it is the traditional mining, long living, rough Dwarves. With that being said, I sort of what his collection of poems to reflect both the maybe crude, masculine joke poems and also having deep, complex poems.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the only one who read this thread title as "Dwarven Beard Poems"?

I'd suggest reading into kabuki, a highly-formalized and lengthy form of Japanese performance that is generally incomprehensible to non-Japanese.

Or take the homage of Pratchett and sing incessantly about gold, gold, gold.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

If you google "Mining poems", you'll find that a whole bunch of coal miners write poetry about their jobs. Maybe you an find something there? ( http://www.dmm.org.uk/pitwork/html/menu6.htm ) Example.

Then there' s some music you can check out. Stan Rogers (Person) sang some good ones about toiling and such, as did Jethro Tull (Band)

Now much of this is turn of the century stuff, and often more about how hard and backbreaking it is, but maybe you can find some inspiration.

Now, about drinking, there's the sad part of the spectrum, such as "God loves a Drunk" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-PhQ6GYmA

and the joyful part: One Last Drink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1lXSxZbHw

Don't think I have anything to add, but maybe it can be of use?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    If you google "Mining poems", you'll find that a whole bunch of coal miners write poetry about their jobs. Maybe you an find something there? ( http://www.dmm.org.uk/pitwork/html/menu6.htm ) Example.

Then there' s some music you can check out. Stan Rogers (Person) sang some good ones about toiling and such, as did Jethro Tull (Band)

Now much of this is turn of the century stuff, and often more about how hard and backbreaking it is, but maybe you can find some inspiration.

Now, about drinking, there's the sad part of the spectrum, such as "God loves a Drunk" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-PhQ6GYmA

and the joyful part: One Last Drink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1lXSxZbHw

Don't think I have anything to add, but maybe it can be of use?
    There's a similar classic song "16 Tons" by... (wikicheck) Merle Travis, whose cover by Tennessee Ernie Ford hit number one. It's about mining in a company town and being paid by company scrip (and being shafted thereby). Maybe it's familiar, maybe I'm just old enough.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

This is perfect, thank you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2013/10...t-dwarves.html

Spoiler: Appreciating that special something that dwarven women bring to the table
    Show
    I like big beards and I can not lie
    You other dwarves can't deny
    When a girl walks in with a big thick waist
    And hair all over her face
    You get sprung
    Wanna pull up tough
    Cuz you notice that face was scruffed
    Deep in the helm she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that beard you got
    Make Me so horny
    Ooh, ain't got smooth skin
    You say you wanna get in my clan
    Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupie
    I've seen them smithin'
    The heck with romancin'
    She sweats, wet, gots whiskers like my uncle Chet

I'm tired of elven queens
    With their smooth little things
    Take the average dwarf and ask him that
    Her face has gotta scratch, so
    fellas (yeah) fellas (yeah)
    Has your dwarf-girl got the beard? (heck yeah!)
    Don't let her shave it, shave it
    Keep that healthy beard...

Baby got beard...

Hairy face makes for dwarven beauty...

Spoiler: When your special lady is feeling put upon by the expectations of society
    Show
    Dwarven women, are beautiful lovers
    Dwarven women, they understand
    I've been around some, and I have discovered
    That dwarven women know just how to please a man.
    (Verse)
    Everybody seems to love those human women
    Buck eighteen on up to twenty-five
    Well I love 'em too, but I'm tellin' you
    Dwarves know to really love, and boy it sure is fine
    (CHORUS)
    (Verse)
    So baby don't you worry about growin' whiskers
    Those elven girls ain't got nothin' on you
    Cause it takes some whiskey, to get 'em frisky
    And frisky dwarves may just be the ones to teach 'em a thing or two.
    (Chorus)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlicksAlot View Post
    I am playing a Dwarven Bard in an upcoming game. Going down the Poet/Storyteller route. I have ideas for stories that he will tell of famous heroes and legends, using bardic magic to make small figurines move to aid in storytelling(think Kubo and the Two Strings). What I do need help with is poems to tell. Can anyone help me with some Dwarven poem ideas? Regular fantasy poems are welcome too of course.
    I really, really, hate to suggest this (and it isn't really a poem), but this is (sort of, terribly cringely) good. Well, no, it's not. But it's dwarven!