New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Welcome to the fifth thread discussing Darths and Droids!

With Episode VI completed, we are doing another prequel. Please keep spoilers for Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi in spoiler boxes.

Previous Threads:
    Darths and Droids (November 1, 2007 - June 16, 2011)
    Darths and Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo (June 16, 2011 - September 9, 2012)
    Darths and Droids III: Search Your DNA Report (September 9, 2012-June 26, 2015)
    Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs (June 26, 2015-December 25, 2017)
    Last edited by 137beth; 2017-12-25 at 11:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Eleventh!

What? I'm not in numerical order.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keybounce's prediction about an OOTS link being inserted was correct!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You know, I have to wonder if Pete isn't just making things up to be contrary. Pebbles exist in space too. In fact, id think youre more likely to run into a pebble in space than you would in an atmosphere.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know, I have to wonder if Pete isn't just making things up to be contrary. Pebbles exist in space too. In fact, id think youre more likely to run into a pebble in space than you would in an atmosphere.
    Not when you're right in the middle of a cataclysmic eruption caused by a new superweapon.
    In that particular (entirely hypothetical of course) situation Pete's concern would be entirely valid.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Not when you're right in the middle of a cataclysmic eruption caused by a new superweapon.
    In that particular (entirely hypothetical of course) situation Pete's concern would be entirely valid.
    My point was more along the lines of, if the concern is smashing into some random debris or other and getting torn apart, that sort of thing would happen far more often in space than in atmosphere, and so it should be taken into account when designing the hyperdrive. If a pebble is that big of a threat, the concern should be theyre on the edge of an explosion, not because theyre in atmosphere, where pebbles are not normally known to fly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    My point was more along the lines of, if the concern is smashing into some random debris or other and getting torn apart, that sort of thing would happen far more often in space than in atmosphere, and so it should be taken into account when designing the hyperdrive. If a pebble is that big of a threat, the concern should be theyre on the edge of an explosion, not because theyre in atmosphere, where pebbles are not normally known to fly.
    What is a planet if not a huge pebble floating inside the atmosphere*?
    And depending on how inept your pilot is there's a very real chance of smashing into it.

*Or outside it in some cases.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-26 at 02:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What is a planet if not a huge pebble floating inside the atmosphere*?
    And depending on how inept your pilot is there's a very real chance of smashing into it.

*Or outside it in some cases.
    That's sort of like asking "what is ice if not really solid steam?" It may be the best kind of correct, but is also a fairly useless distinction that doesn't really mean anything.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's worth noting that the danger of running into a pebble is only mentioned as existing when accelerating into hyperspace. So you only need to make sure that the area immediately in front of you, for as far as it takes to accelerate into hyperspace is clear, which I suppose might be easier in space as opposed to in the neighborhood of a massive explosion throwing all sorts of debris and particulates into the atmosphere.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Let's go raid the weapons lab, because they've got the good stuff!"

Gods, the number of times I've heard that in a campaign. It never ends well for the players. Experimental stuff is still experimental for a reason.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    "Let's go raid the weapons lab, because they've got the good stuff!"

Gods, the number of times I've heard that in a campaign. It never ends well for the players. Experimental stuff is still experimental for a reason.
    In real life sure.
    But in fiction land?

Everyone knows that the untested prototype is always vastly superior to the mass-produced model.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

In real life sure.
    But in fiction land?

Everyone knows that the untested prototype is always vastly superior to the mass-produced model.
    Well, duh. The mass-produced models have to have safeties, and limiters, and all that junk that gets in the way of true potential. All in the name of reducing the risk of blowing yourself up.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #13

Let's not forget that the production models also have spare parts and ammo available.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Well, duh. The mass-produced models have to have safeties, and limiters, and all that junk that gets in the way of true potential. All in the name of reducing the risk of blowing yourself up.
    Which is why the prototype is given to a protagonist PC.
    Because they're the only ones stupid err... lucky enough to use it.
    That and it's less of a loss when things do go wrong.

15. - Top - End - #15

Wow, now that's some continuity. Hollywood can't keep continuity with their A-list characters, but the Irregulars can do it with a Q-list background extra.

16. - Top - End - #16

Oh, wow. That callback is impressive. Link if anyone is intersted.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Noooooooon!

Interesting seeing Tarkin protrayed as peace lover.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    And other times prototypes are actually made with superior stats and extra perks to impress the higher ups and because you can sink all your budget in a few models. You can afford to personally tune every one of them. Plus you really don't want your prototype to blow up in front of the review panel.

However when it comes time for mass-production, you end up cutting corners and extras all around to make it as cheap as possible while production will be left to some soulless factories. And by then X% of them blowing up is acceptable whitin the margins of error.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yes, you don't want the experimental stuff. You want the stuff that's between experimental and mass production - the demonstration prototype. All the kinks worked out, but none of the cost cutting applied yet.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Yes, you don't want the experimental stuff. You want the stuff that's between experimental and mass production - the demonstration prototype. All the kinks worked out, but none of the cost cutting applied yet.
    That's the stuff the GM uses when the players get too uppity about their experimental version they worked so hard to steal.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    No, no, no. You don't want the BFGs, experimental or otherwise. If you get one, the other Troubleshooters will consider you potential trouble, and shoot you as soon as the opportunity presents itself. What you want, is to be the multicorder operator. It gives you the perfect excuse to hang back "so you can get a good recording of everything". Of course, you need to discreetly make certain that your fellow Troubleshooters know that you are less than perfectly adept at using the multicorder, and so there may be unavoidable glitches or black spots in mission recordings.

Doubtless due to the nefarious sabotage of Commie Mutant Traitors. No, of course I didn't mean that the Computer allowed Commie Mutant Traitors into a position to damage vital equipment like the mission multicorder. Perhaps I had better turn it off and make certain it's in proper working order. There, that's better. What happened to Cind-R? I have no idea, I was busy confirming the multicorder hadn't been tampered with. Now, let me explain the heroic actions of Nut-R and Mooch-R as I record the aftermath of their valiant laser battle in defense of vital mission priorities, as assigned by the ever-wise and all-knowing Computer. Yes, Kill-R's experimental weapon malfunctioned and shot him in the back of the head. You can see the smoking remains of the weapon and the hole in the back of his head right here as proof.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

In my experience, the multi-corder operator is more likely to be the accidental target of troubleshooter action.If there is no multi-corder record, the computer has to trust the reports given by the surviving living troubleshooters.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    In my experience, the multi-corder operator is more likely to be the accidental target of troubleshooter action.If there is no multi-corder record, the computer has to trust the reports given by the surviving living troubleshooters.
    As opposed to the surviving deceased troubleshooters?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They're in a ship in hyperspace. If they (and the GM) were really serious about getting the new PC in, it would have been easy with a "You mean you want to go to the research lab, but realize you're low on fuel. Oh look, there's a rebel controlled world nearby where you can resupply."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Keep in mind, this is a Jim PC. Look at how well the last 'well-developed' one just turned out. The GM probably wants them to have someone who can contribute.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2018-01-07 at 06:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good point...

Since we know it's going to be Bail Organa, he probably had some "Is a loyal servant of his people and would never abandon them" or other nonsense in there...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YangerDanger View Post
    Noooooooon!

Interesting seeing Tarkin protrayed as peace lover.
    Well, it's consistent.

Also, foreshadowing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Good point...

Since we know it's going to be Bail Organa, he probably had some "Is a loyal servant of his people and would never abandon them" or other nonsense in there...
    I just realized that might actually be wrong... we know Jim plays Bail after Bria and then Captain Antilles at the beginning of Episode 4... but at least Bail again is another established NPC. So it's possible he once again took that one over when Bria died, and then Antilles after that.

Greedo might be the one he's mentioning here...

29. - Top - End - #29

If I'm remembering the Ep IV arc right, he didn't start writing Greedo until after Antilles bought it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, you could be right, he was sitting out an entire session or two to get his character done.