New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Aurilee, Chirrut originally introduced himself as a "Jedha monk". Since the Peace Moon happened to Jedha... I suppose he switched to "monk at large".
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Aurilee, Chirrut originally introduced himself as a "Jedha monk". Since the Peace Moon happened to Jedha... I suppose he switched to "monk at large".
    That just means he will be...

The Last Jedha.

3. - Top - End - #33

RogueGuy

With respect, Glyphstone, go sit in a corner and think about what you've just done.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That just means he will be...

The Last Jedha.
    It's time for the Jedha to end.

Does that mean he has to train Bria to become a Jedha?

5. - Top - End - #35

Ben? No dessert for you tonight.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Er, that's "I defected" as in "I switched sides", Keybounce, not "defective" as in "not working correctly."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That look...
    Bodi's definitely regretting he came aboard instead off staying behind in that massive explosion.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #38

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Er, that's "I defected" as in "I switched sides", Keybounce, not "defective" as in "not working correctly."
    Hee hee. I know, but defect, defect.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

9. - Top - End - #39

I'm going to go with the commentators here. Letting the homicidal droid drive was a bad idea.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I'm going to go with the commentators here. Letting the homicidal droid drive was a bad idea.
    You say let as though they could stop her.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #41

There's a reason droids should have restraining bolts built into their circuitry. Actually, there are lots of reasons.

12. - Top - End - #42

Hey keybounce, did you know how the Germans found partisans in WWII? They waited until the band had made 6 or 8 raids and then just drew lines across the map to connect the points (12 to 6 o'clock, 2 to 8 o'clock, etc). Where the lines crossed was the base.

It's really easy to get people to tell you where they live.

13. - Top - End - #43

Hey keybounce, did you know how the Germans found partisans in WWII? They waited until the band had made 6 or 8 raids and then just drew lines across the map to connect the points (12 to 6 o'clock, 2 to 8 o'clock, etc). Where the lines crossed was the base.

It's really easy to get people to tell you where they live.
    This only works if the raiders are operating in a circle around their base. If they are based off of a highway and are making raids along the highway, then all your lines end up going along the highway. However, knowing this strategy, I would plan my raids so the center was the residence of the local occupiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #44

So, does anyone know
    Spoiler: RO
    Show
    why they changed Jyn's name to Bria? Like, I get that they changed Saw to Kyle because they wanted to be consistent with what they had previously said had been Jim's character, which itself was based on the EU that is no longer canon. Was Bria another Legends character that they mentioned and I forgot about? Or did they just decide to change her name for no apparent reason (or for a reason we haven't gotten to yet)?

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, does anyone know
    Show
    why they changed Jyn's name to Bria? Like, I get that they changed Saw to Kyle because they wanted to be consistent with what they had previously said had been Jim's character, which itself was based on the EU that is no longer canon. Was Bria another Legends character that they mentioned and I forgot about? Or did they just decide to change her name for no apparent reason (or for a reason we haven't gotten to yet)?
    Bria Tharen was also named as one of Jim's characters.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2018-01-30 at 01:06 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, does anyone know
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Bria was another Legends character. A love interest of Han Solo who died before ANH. I cant remember if they name dropped her in D&D as one of Jim's characters or not though.

17. - Top - End - #47

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Bria was another Legends character. A love interest of Han Solo who died before ANH. I cant remember if they name dropped her in D&D as one of Jim's characters or not though.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Technically I don't need to spoiler this, since everything EU has been de-canonized and tossed into an industrial wood chipper, but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler: Bria's story
    Show
    Bria Tharen is the primary female character from The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin. Han rescues her from slavery in a drug lab, loses her because he's too poor for a rich girl like her, regains her when she hires him to help raid her former captors but loses her again because the Rebels betray everybody who helped them.* With everyone else treating Han as poison because he vouched for Bria, he's forced to work for Jabba to pay the bills, leading to the Kessel Run and dumping the cargo of drugs. Bria meanwhile leads a raid on Toprawa to steal the Death Star plans**, which gets the plans but gets everyone killed (including her). A surprising messenger brings Han the news just after Jabba handed him a bill for the cargo (at multiples of the price) and a running interest rate that makes loan sharks look like pikers. Han decides he needs a stiff drink, and heads to a certain bar...

*Note that this is the explanation for Lando's line about 'having a lot of nerve after what you pulled'.

**Also a reference to an adventure for West End Games D6 Star Wars on the subject. Anyone who survived to the end was personally executed by Darth Vader in GOD MODE.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Technically I don't need to spoiler this, since everything EU has been de-canonized and tossed into an industrial wood chipper, but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler: Bria's story
    Show
    Bria meanwhile leads a raid on Toprawa to steal the Death Star plans**, which gets the plans but gets everyone killed (including her).
    I wonder if there's some sort of list somewhere of every time in the EU / Legends / current canon that the story of the Death Star plans getting stolen has been told? The Wookiepedia Legends article on the plans is somewhat useless because it's explicitly written from the perspective of trying to unify all the conflicting versions rather than trying to document the numerous conflicts.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2018-01-30 at 10:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire. The third book of the HS Tril dealt with events feeding direct into Ep IV (and is itself consistent with the game). And one of the anthologies had a story about somebody trying to sabotage spare parts for the DS2 superlaser array. As far as I recall, that's about it, and I read everything back in the day.

For anything since the PT hit, you'd need to find another geek.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire.
    From what I remember about that, it felt like a rather cheap way to explain the "many Bothans died to bring us this information" line. There's a space battle, a squadron of Bothans in starfighters is involved, and a missile unceremoniously blows them all up. No valiant heroics, or extraordinary risks taken for an important cause, and certainly not the long chain of such things that line gave me the impression of, just one battle they didn't expect to be all that serious and one unexpectedly powerful missile.

**Also a reference to an adventure for West End Games D6 Star Wars on the subject. Anyone who survived to the end was personally executed by Darth Vader in GOD MODE.
    I'd be tempted to complain about railroading, but "it took frikkin' Darth Vader to kill my character" is a pretty badass boast for Star Wars.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire. The third book of the HS Tril dealt with events feeding direct into Ep IV (and is itself consistent with the game). And one of the anthologies had a story about somebody trying to sabotage spare parts for the DS2 superlaser array. As far as I recall, that's about it, and I read everything back in the day.

For anything since the PT hit, you'd need to find another geek.
    Where does Kyle Katarn figure into this? He was canonical, I think, at least prior to everything getting rebooted, and he stole the Death Star plans in the first Dark Forces game.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I wonder if there's some sort of list somewhere of every time in the EU / Legends / current canon that the story of the Death Star plans getting stolen has been told? The Wookiepedia Legends article on the plans is somewhat useless because it's explicitly written from the perspective of trying to unify all the conflicting versions rather than trying to document the numerous conflicts.
    Be sure the list includes the Phineas and Ferb version.

A Paranoia adventure for Star Wars? :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, nice.
    Show
    And that could pretty easily be refitted to be about Jyn.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In case you don't know yet Keybounce, Krennic is the one in the hat. The one who had the cape and was self-important seeming.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But doesn't the transcript at the bottom shows who is saying what?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    But doesn't the transcript at the bottom shows who is saying what?
    They may not have that when getting the pre-reads.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

That true.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, continuing the fine tradition of splitting the party far more than is remotely wise I see.

30. - Top - End - #60

Hey, at least they're all still at the same table. I've had games where the GM put us in separate rooms (on different floors) after we split up one time too many.