New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

The question being, does he realize he's being truthful?

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The question being, does he realize he's being truthful?

I think he might be. At the very least he seems torealize the implication of Poe being the only one with a blaster*.
    Nah, the real question is if Finn finds out, will he care?

*I guess Jim's still banned from lightsabers?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-06-04 at 12:13 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Good news then! I already wasn't planning on watching any of them until the comic's done with IX. (haven't seen Rogue One yet either)
    I think you can watch Rogue One, there's nothing in there that spoils the sequel trilogy, and it's in my opinion a really good movie.

4. - Top - End - #634

Yeah, if it really ground your gears in the prequels to just watch armies wade into each other at a slow walk while blazing away, You'll like Rogue One. People there understand that this thing called cover exists.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Rogue One and Solo are both rather stand-alone in terms of story, for what it's worth. And if they're connected to anything (more so Rogue One, but Solo too), it's to the Original Trilogy, with one small call-back to the Prequel Trilogy. They're not going to spoil anything about the Sequel Trilogy.

As for their merits as movies, I thought Rogue One is a pretty interesting little story, definitely worth a watch. As for Solo... it's the most lambasted SW movie by far I think, and for good reason, and it's got pretty hefty competition in that regard (including in the Sequel Trilogy). There are some parts of it that actually work as a sci-fi heist movie, but then it veers completely off the rails for a number of different reasons. The fact that it tries to give Han Solo a backstory and miserably fails at that being one of the major offenders, but not really the only one. Come to think of it, I'm just remembering the heist part of the movie as being something good, something that probably belongs in a better movie.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Rogue One and Solo are both rather stand-alone in terms of story, for what it's worth. And if they're connected to anything (more so Rogue One, but Solo too), it's to the Original Trilogy, with one small call-back to the Prequel Trilogy. They're not going to spoil anything about the Sequel Trilogy.

As for their merits as movies, I thought Rogue One is a pretty interesting little story, definitely worth a watch. As for Solo... it's the most lambasted SW movie by far I think, and for good reason, and it's got pretty hefty competition in that regard (including in the Sequel Trilogy). There are some parts of it that actually work as a sci-fi heist movie, but then it veers completely off the rails for a number of different reasons. The fact that it tries to give Han Solo a backstory and miserably fails at that being one of the major offenders, but not really the only one. Come to think of it, I'm just remembering the heist part of the movie as being something good, something that probably belongs in a better movie.
    I quite enjoyed Solo personally. It wasn't anything special, but it didn't leave me scratching my head afterwards about what the heck I just watched. It was a fun little heist movie and I'll probably go back and catch it again at some point.

Where it fails is being a tie-in movie to Star Wars. It's not a good backstory for the Han Solo we see in the OT. It doesn't work as a nostalgia vehicle for the references to stuff Han mentions in the OT. It's just kind of "there".

I almost feel like Solo would have been better without the license. That would have freed up the writing and allowed them to remove the worst parts of the movie. Unfortunately I can't see a Sci-Fi heist movie making it big without the name recognition.

And even then we're finding out that the Star Wars brand doesn't mean what it used to.

7. - Top - End - #637

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I almost feel like Solo would have been better without the license. That would have freed up the writing and allowed them to remove the worst parts of the movie. Unfortunately I can't see a Sci-Fi heist movie making it big without the name recognition.
    Yeah, I think that really hits the nail on the head. Being not only a SW movie but specifically a Han Solo backstory movie definitely dragged it down. It's fine when it tries to be just a sci-fi heist movie.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I quite enjoyed Solo personally. It wasn't anything special, but it didn't leave me scratching my head afterwards about what the heck I just watched. It was a fun little heist movie and I'll probably go back and catch it again at some point.

Where it fails is being a tie-in movie to Star Wars. It's not a good backstory for the Han Solo we see in the OT. It doesn't work as a nostalgia vehicle for the references to stuff Han mentions in the OT. It's just kind of "there".

And even then we're finding out that the Star Wars brand doesn't mean what it used to.
    Solo as a heist movie, with Star Wars license, but focusing around Lando or some other guy living in the Empire with no overly specific context needed.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-06-06 at 05:41 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's a very big explosion.
    I think they might've hit something important.

Also, that exchange between BB-8 and the DM.
    I'm inclined to agree with Corey here.

10. - Top - End - #640

BlackDragon

Why do you think Kylo Ren is male?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Because that armour makes Kylo look like a guy.
    You know, like Samus.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't seen any of the later movies, don't know the synopses, etc., but I have seen several of the main characters on cereal boxes and stuff. And even though my memory is pretty fuzzy on the details, I wonder what in blazes was going on in the casters' heads.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Ok, I'll answer this, but only read if you really want the answer
    Show
    He's played by a male actor and after a point you see him without his helmet more often than not. I don't see how they can make him female in the comic

14. - Top - End - #644

Spoiler
    Show
    Either Ren's really good with disguises, or just looks like that. The figure isn't much of an issue, given the variety of the female form.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    With this webcomic there's also the option of shapeshifters and opposite-sex clones. For all we know it's Nute Gunray under there.

16. - Top - End - #646

Spoiler
    Show
    Only if he's figured out that r/l thing.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Never change Jim, never change.
    I mean, wether he's honestly joining or improvising the worst infiltration since Worm* repeatedly making clear your new "allies" can't trust you is just counterproductive.

*Although Taylor's "plan" was more thought-out and coherent than what Jim's characters typically cook up.

18. - Top - End - #648

BlackDragon

I did not read any of those spoilers.

I'm still hoping that under the mask, under the cape and cowl, is some sort of genius hero reborn.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll be honest, I kinda hate it when I ask the GM a question and he answers it through an NPC. Because often its about something that my character would know, but I don't. Often that's done to use some IC knowledge to help the party, shed some light on something they didn't notice, and have that warm fuzzy "I did something" feeling. But by treating it as a question my character actually asked and then gets answered by an NPC, it automatically makes it that my character didn't know something that he should know, making him look like an idiot, because apparently RandomNPC McDummy who was just randomly in the room can explain it in detail.
    The same goes for statement made to the GM, describing what my character is doing. Because how else would I do that, except saying it out loud and describing it, and suddenly its an IC topic as if my character is an anime character that has to comment every action.

I just feel its dumb and unfair of a GM to do this.

Is it funny to read? Sure. Not so funny if its done to you
    Last edited by Morquard; 2020-06-10 at 03:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'll be honest, I kinda hate it when I ask the GM a question and he answers it through an NPC. Because often its about something that my character would know, but I don't. Often that's done to use some IC knowledge to help the party, shed some light on something they didn't notice, and have that warm fuzzy "I did something" feeling. But by treating it as a question my character actually asked and then gets answered by an NPC, it automatically makes it that my character didn't know something that he should know, making him look like an idiot, because apparently RandomNPC McDummy who was just randomly in the room can explain it in detail.
    The same goes for statement made to the GM, describing what my character is doing. Because how else would I do that, except saying it out loud and describing it, and suddenly its an IC topic as if my character is an anime character that has to comment every action.

I just feel its dumb and unfair of a GM to do this.

Is it funny to read? Sure. Not so funny if its done to you
    To be fair, both of these things are common behavior in books, TV etc., as a form of getting the audience up to speed with what the characters supposedly know. Maybe that's why a GM might be tempted to do it, because it just feels like the natural thing to do.

21. - Top - End - #651

I'm still hoping that under the mask, under the cape and cowl, is some sort of genius hero reborn.
    Would you settle for a week in Seoul?

22. - Top - End - #652
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wait, are you hoping that Kylo is a Qui-gon Jinn clone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Wait, are you hoping that Kylo is a Qui-gon Jinn clone?
    No, the Genius was Jar-Jar

24. - Top - End - #654
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    No, the Genius was Jar-Jar
    Qui-Gon was the hero, though. He bravely gave his life trying to defeat Bubble.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks memnarch for reminding me about Corey's campaign. Like you, I also don't watch a lot of big-studio movies, and I don't think I recognize the description so far.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rereading parts of Phantasmal Malevolence I noticed that the group (minus Ben) kinda being evil isn't exactly new.

Not that it should be that surprising after how Revelation of the Sith turned out.
    But I kinda forgot Annie played the character as psychotic from the start.
    "I'll kill you." indeed.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-06-11 at 05:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #657

BlackDragon

Ok, quickie time: Without any spoilers, without any reference to the dialog, what was your reaction to the visuals of Finn's helmet coming off?

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok, quickie time: Without any spoilers, without any reference to the dialog, what was your reaction to the visuals of Finn's helmet coming off?
    "Huh, they have faces now."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #659
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Thanks memnarch for reminding me about Corey's campaign. Like you, I also don't watch a lot of big-studio movies, and I don't think I recognize the description so far.
    I do, but I'm drawing a blank. It sounds like the "huge guns" are more along the lines of cannons rather than handheld guns, but I don't know what that might be.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Don't we already know what Corey's campaign was?

Spoiler
    Show

Rogue One?