New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Fun times in Paranoia: Send your troopers out to an area that is not under computer control, where you have white corridors instead of color-approved corridors.
    There are no areas outside Friend Computer's control. Implying otherwise is nothing but treason. Please report to the nearest termination booth at your earliest convenience.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Wow, Jira is not someone I expected to see again.
    Same. I'm shocked I guessed that right. (remember, keybounce and I don't get the transcripts in advance)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Same. I'm shocked I guessed that right. (remember, keybounce and I don't get the transcripts in advance)
    That's really impressive indeed, remembering an incidental bit character from that long ago! Did you do an archive binge or something recently?

4. - Top - End - #784

Keybounce, according to episode 764 (Memnarch linked it in his commentary), in D&D comic canon it was Greedo Junior killed by Anakin, and Greedo Senior killed by Han later on. Was SW movie canon ever mentioned in comic (outside the commentary to ep 764)? I wouldn't be too surprised if comic canon (Jim's backstory) originally followed SW canon, the GM had to point out it didn't work, and Jim had to retcon it. But more likely Jim was completely oblivious and the GM just found a way to make it work.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Keybounce, according to episode 764 (Memnarch linked it in his commentary), in D&D comic canon it was Greedo Junior killed by Anakin, and Greedo Senior killed by Han later on. Was SW movie canon ever mentioned in comic (outside the commentary to ep 764)? I wouldn't be too surprised if comic canon (Jim's backstory) originally followed SW canon, the GM had to point out it didn't work, and Jim had to retcon it. But more likely Jim was completely oblivious and the GM just found a way to make it work.
    I'm pretty sure Jim was playing Greedo (with terrible italian accent) and then killed the Rodian Han Solo and took his name to steal his ship.

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jim was playing Greedo (with terrible italian accent) and then killed the Rodian Han Solo and took his name to steal his ship.
    ... right, I forgot the name of the character who died in the latter scene had been swapped around.

I was actually wondering about the origins of Jim's Greedo in comic. Jim named his character on a suggestion from Pete, but I was wondering if he'd tied the (apparently extensive) backstory in with the original in-game Greedo. But as you just pointed out, Greedo isn't the shapeshifter in comic canon, just the identity thief ... but it's then established that his son was the one killed, and the boy was a rodian? Ahh well, I'm probably over-thinking it.

Speaking of Pete being Jim's friend originally, I had to double-check that Jim is actually there this session at all. But yes, he was the one surprised that Pete was playing a girl, and he was the second one to ask what the thing salvaged from the destroyer was last episode. (Ben speaks even less this session, but that's normal for Ben I think.)
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

7. - Top - End - #787

Ben does seem to prefer less table chatter. Possibly because it distracts from his problem solving.

8. - Top - End - #788

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    That's really impressive indeed, remembering an incidental bit character from that long ago! Did you do an archive binge or something recently?
    Archive binge around the start of this episode, plus a combination of good memory of where to skim through the comic and Google mostly never letting me down in text searches (stupid vaporator vs vaporators difference) mean it only takes 5-10 minutes to get enough to figure out what I'm looking for.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah damn, there goes my theory that Unkar Plutt was Ben's next character.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Somebody who's seen the film recently?
    Show
    Okay, so, which character dies in the next scene or two that Ben can play?
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-07-12 at 09:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler: Somebody who's seen the film recently?
    Show
    Okay, so, which character dies in the next scene or two that Ben can play?
    Spoiler: Spoiler for movie
    Show
    The only one that appears before Chewie actually makes his appearance is Hux... and he doesn't die. Unless he's a random Stormtrooper that dies in the escape. There is the whole scene with Poe and Finn escaping next, then crashing, then Finn wandering the desert, then finding the settlement, then running away and finding the Falcon, and then they get captured by Han and Chewie already. So either he's Hux the whole time, and not Chewie, or he's gonna be gone a while longer. But I don't really see a fitting character between now and then

12. - Top - End - #792

Spoiler: TFA
    Show
    Maybe Ben is planning a new character, but then the campaign will go off the rails, so his new character won't show up before Chewie and Han.

13. - Top - End - #793

That is a lot of random scratches. Couldn't even be bothered to mark them in fives?

14. - Top - End - #794

Star wars plays way in the past, they haven't invented such advanced marking systems yet.

15. - Top - End - #795

That's an unbelievably basic marking system, since it's based on natural counting methods.

Hold up your left hand, palm facing you.

Fold down fingers as you count.

I

II

III

IIII

What does it look like when you fold in your thumb across the other fingers?

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, it's based on one natural counting method, anyway. Some people find it "natural" to count using the thumb to point to the joints on the fingers (which incidentally lends itself to a base-12 system). Others (this was how I was acculturated) might find it natural to start with the fingers folded in and then extend them as one counts them. A lot of supposedly "natural" elements of behavior are in fact determined by culture, and that's why it's easy to fantasize about doing highly unethical long-term experiments to suss out what is actually natural human behavior.

17. - Top - End - #797

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Star wars plays way in the past, they haven't invented such advanced marking systems yet.
    Yes. Remember that it's not the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's an unbelievably basic marking system, since it's based on natural counting methods.

Hold up your left hand, palm facing you.

Fold down fingers as you count.

I

II

III

IIII

What does it look like when you fold in your thumb across the other fingers?
    It looks like a line across three of my other fingers, which seems makes drawing a diagonal line across the 4 vertical ones less sensical now.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't think there's anything covered up by that top panel. I've only seen the movie once, but I'm pretty sure this is just an establishing shot showing Rey eating dinner before it pans out to show the AT-AT.

The inset panel is showing the spaceship the GM describes. It's very faint, but you can just about make it out to the left of the speech box.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The inset panel is showing the spaceship the GM describes. It's very faint, but you can just about make it out to the left of the speech box.
    That reminds me, we still don't have confirmation that Keybounce and memnarch get the double resolution comic images for their commentary. We know they don't get the transcript or annotation or title.

21. - Top - End - #801

IMS, Rey lives next to the AT-AT, so that's why you see it here. You actually see her leaning against one of the joints in the first panel.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    That reminds me, we still don't have confirmation that Keybounce and memnarch get the double resolution comic images for their commentary. We know they don't get the transcript or annotation or title.
    They do get the double resolution image.

23. - Top - End - #803

BlackDragon

We do get the double.

But if you did not know that there was a ship lifting up into the air in that insert, you did not know it and the very faint thing that might be a bird doesn't look like a ship even going back (although, now that I know to look for it, I can see it.)

Equally, I did not realize until it came out in the non-spoiler thread, that Rey is using the fallen AT as her shelter. No sign of the trading post in that "pull out" visual?

And ... seriously, can't get a good parking spot. Why the heck does she not keep her hoverbike by her "house"?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #804

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    A lot of supposedly "natural" elements of behavior are in fact determined by culture, and that's why it's easy to fantasize about doing highly unethical long-term experiments to suss out what is actually natural human behavior.
    You could just use the spark method. Don't let the control group out for christmas though.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

We do get the double.

But if you did not know that there was a ship lifting up into the air in that insert, you did not know it and the very faint thing that might be a bird doesn't look like a ship even going back (although, now that I know to look for it, I can see it.)

Equally, I did not realize until it came out in the non-spoiler thread, that Rey is using the fallen AT as her shelter. No sign of the trading post in that "pull out" visual?

And ... seriously, can't get a good parking spot. Why the heck does she not keep her hoverbike by her "house"?
    Well obviously the street was too full and she clearly doesnt have a driveway to park in.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #806

PirateGuy

You could just use the spark method. Don't let the control group out for christmas though.
    I don't get it. What spark method?

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    I don't get it. What spark method?
    Sparks are the mad scientists of the Girl Genius world. Do note, that it's not always MECHANICAL science they're mad about.

28. - Top - End - #808

And that's the end of SirKazum's freetime for the next month.

29. - Top - End - #809

Umm.

New comic.

Umm, is it too much of a spoiler to say that this is not how it played out in the movies?

Cos, yeah, I wasn't expecting that.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And that's the end of SirKazum's freetime for the next month.
    What are you talking about? A month? My husband just told me today he once binge-read an 1000-page comic in less than a day!

... yeah, he can't actually remember which one, so ... :P
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2020-07-19 at 06:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Not much to say that doesn't need to be boxed.
    Just that Troublemaker shouldn't be worth much as a flaw.
    Standard adventurer traits shouldn't be rewarded just cause you write them on your character sheet.

Spoiler: Episode VII-IX
    Show
    Rey Solo, huh? Interesting.
    I wonder what that means for Kylo. Are they siblings? Is he a Skywalker? A random Vader-fanboy? Or maybe he is the Palpatine this time around.

Unless it's a trick to hide who she really is, like with "Adam" in Episode IV. Her being a Solo would explain why she can fly Han's pile of scrap though.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")