New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Speaking of which, is there any truth to the rumor that Lucas has been brought back for the next three movies?
    I'd be surprised. There have been rumors about Disney resetting the sequel movies and Lucas returning, but I haven't seen anything from a source I'd consider credible, and mostly just seem to be rumor mills feeding off each other. There's been no solid info on the next Star Wars movie other than a tentative release in December 2022. Taika Waititi is supposed to do a film, and last I heard Rian Johnson is still supposed to be doing a film or trilogy of films, but there's no indication what those films will be about.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-07-27 at 01:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Re: Tatooine sand continuity, the Jedha explosion happened during the "Butch Cassian and the Sundance Droid" adventure, which was the D&D adaptation of Rogue One - but I forgot that in D&D continuity this is set before Episode IV. I haven't seen the movie - I was told to avoid it because awesome but huge downer - but I had this idea that it was set after Ep. VI in SW continuity (seeing as it came out around the same time as Ep VII? Or just before Ep. VIII? Or something?) If the sand-blocking had begun after Ep. VI, then the timeline would make sense, but now I'm not sure what's going on.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Re: Tatooine sand continuity, the Jedha explosion happened during the "Butch Cassian and the Sundance Droid" adventure, which was the D&D adaptation of Rogue One - but I forgot that in D&D continuity this is set before Episode IV. I haven't seen the movie - I was told to avoid it because awesome but huge downer - but I had this idea that it was set after Ep. VI in SW continuity (seeing as it came out around the same time as Ep VII? Or just before Ep. VIII? Or something?) If the sand-blocking had begun after Ep. VI, then the timeline would make sense, but now I'm not sure what's going on.
    Whoever told you not to watch Rogue One was not doing you a favor. Rogue One is excellent. Yes, a lot of people who you care about die. Some of them even die in horrible ways that aren't battle related. It does a really good job, however, of showing what the rebellion had to do to even pretend to be relevant before the battle of Yavin. And yes, they were just pretending. Vader might have put on a show about "you are a member of the rebel alliance and a traitor", but I suspect that Palpatine was supporting rebellions as ways to get the discontented people into easy to find groups and to generate a low level of conflict with which to convince the citizenry that the harsh measures were better than the alternative. After all, "Rebel terrorists kill 3 on Tatooine, manhunt underway" is a great headline. If there are just enough rebels to be able to fill the news with stories of their atrocities and capture, then people in the more civilized areas will say, "boy am I glad I live in the Empire where it is safe, not in the outer rim where those rebels are always causing trouble."
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's a prequel to episode IV that explains how Leia got the plans to the Death Star. It's "Star Wars does The Dirty Dozen", and it's pretty great. My opinion on the movie has soured a bit over the years - there's a lot of angst about Jyn Erso's family problems that don't belong in a war movie. Overall though, it's up there with TFA as my favorite post-OT Star Wars movies.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't watched episodes VIII and IX myself, but I've read all the spoilers. I can say, from the discussion above, that the Darths & Droids continuity is likely to be more coherent than the trilogy of movies.

A lot more coherent?

Coherent. That's the word.
    Considering that we know that the Irregulars have had a plan since before Episode 9 was released, and probably altered it after the release, it's almost certain. I'm sure there's scenes from Episodes 8 and 9 already fully written, because they had scenes from the OT all worked out while doing the PT.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #846

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Considering that we know that the Irregulars have had a plan since before Episode 9 was released, and probably altered it after the release, it's almost certain. I'm sure there's scenes from Episodes 8 and 9 already fully written, because they had scenes from the OT all worked out while doing the PT.
    Weren't they specifically waiting until Episode 9 came out to plan out the sequel trilogy, so they could make sure it all fit together?

7. - Top - End - #847

Yes. It's why we had to subsist on Muppets for most of a year.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Weren't they specifically waiting until Episode 9 came out to plan out the sequel trilogy, so they could make sure it all fit together?
    So my understanding of how the planning process went goes as follows:

1. E7 comes out, WI make rough plan for E7, but nothing major.
    2. E8 comes out, plan for E7 gets more solid as rough plan for E8 is formed, but still not finalised.
    3. Kermit the Jedi.
    4. E9 comes out, plans for E7 and E8 reviewed to see how much is useable, rough plan for E9 made, plan for ST reviewed, now useless scenes thrown out, finalised plan is written.
    5. Kyros channels 600 points of mana into a fireball.

Although now I look at it I seem to be wrong, went back to the last pre-muppet comic and the implication is that there had been no pre-E9 planning. Huh, I'd have expected at least a little bit, but guess my memory was faulty.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Pixie in the Playground

We didn't do any detailed story planning until after Episode 9 came out. We did have some notes on who might play which characters, some amusing lines of dialogue for specific scenes, and a few vague ideas for what twists we could do to the story. But really not a whole lot.

10. - Top - End - #850

I have to admit this is a better looking interrogation room than the one Leia was in back in EpIV.

11. - Top - End - #851

PirateGuy

Keybounce, I believe the word you're looking for is "speciesist". I've seen it used in a vegan context, of all things... make of it what you will.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Keybounce, I believe the word you're looking for is "speciesist". I've seen it used […]
    You may also have seen it used in OotS #451 sixteenth panel, where Redcloak the goblin uses it for himself, as he hates all humans.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-08-04 at 06:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Equally!

I still kinda wish Sally was Rey, but her as Ren is a treat.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I'm definitely calling them setting up 'Hux is the spy' much earlier. Also that Hux is going to come across as much more competent, this is Ben, the guy who sees RPG adventures as puzzles after all.

Huh, note I'm wondering if Ben is supposed to be the character's full first name or a diminutive. Guess we'll find out of Sally ever gets very angry with him.

Show

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

That plan makes way too much sense.
    That's never good if you want them to work.
    Oh wait, Finn wants Poe dead* and Poe... is played by Jim.
    I'm sure this will go swimmingly.

As in they will sink their ship and have to swim.
    Figuratively speaking. You can't swim in space.

*As soon as he connects the dots at least.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #856

Well of course Hux has to be better at coming up with plans than Phasma: Phasma is an NPC!

Spoiler: Episode IX
    Show
    I wonder if the whole "they can both keep an eye on each other" is meant to foreshadow the arguments Finn and Poe have in Episode IX?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Well of course Hux has to be better at coming up with plans than Phasma: Phasma is an NPC!
    More importantly, Ben is one of the players who makes actually good, well thought-out plans.

18. - Top - End - #858

More importantly, it looks like Ben is once again taking the role of "Only sane being in the asylum".

19. - Top - End - #859

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Oh wait, Finn wants Poe dead* and Poe... is played by Jim.
    What, you think 4 dead in 4 sessions wasn't good enough, and he needs more dead characters?

:-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

cool Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    What, you think 4 dead in 4 sessions wasn't good enough, and he needs more dead characters?

:-)
    Well, yeah. That's one dead character per session. Lots of room to improve.
    Soon he will be up to four dead in two sessions.

Now I almost want to see them play Tomb of Horrors.

But I was more thinking about Jim's amazing ability to derail even his own plans.
    Ben and Sally don't really stand a chance.

21. - Top - End - #861

Oh, so the First Order believes in some weird Hokey Pokey stuff like "The Force."

22. - Top - End - #862

PirateGuy

Hey is that trooper guarding Poe the one that was played by Daniel Craig, of James Bond fame? (Unspoilered because it's pointless trivia that doesn't change anything spoiler-wise)

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey is that trooper guarding Poe the one that was played by Daniel Craig, of James Bond fame? (Unspoilered because it's pointless trivia that doesn't change anything spoiler-wise)
    I think he shows up later.
    Spoiler: Episode VII
    Show
    Wasn't he the trooper Rey used the mind trick on?

24. - Top - End - #864

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I think he shows up later.
    Spoiler: Episode VII
    Show
    Wasn't he the trooper Rey used the mind trick on?
    Oh yeah, you might be right, and I might be confusing them. In any case, one of those nameless, faceless troopers has James Bond's mug behind the helmet, which I thought was a fun factoid

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To address Keybounces comment on blur in digital. I actually read somewhere that in post-processing that blur is artificially created (in fast paced scenes at least) because somehow the viewers consider the result "more natural"

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh yeah, you might be right, and I might be confusing them. In any case, one of those nameless, faceless troopers has James Bond's mug behind the helmet, which I thought was a fun factoid
    You would be right! That is really cool, and something which I did not know. I'm pretty oblivious to unexpected actors in a movie, and I love finding out about them later.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic
    And here we go.
    Jim's being Jim.

To his credit, a actual escape means no one can find out it was faked.
    On the other hand your bosses might think you actually defected, which is probably not good for your long-term health.
    On the gripping hand it's Jim, so he might mean "let's actually defect", which is not the plan. Seriously, Finn already wants Poe dead*, don't give him any more reason.

*Only a matter of time until he works out who murdered his buddy.

28. - Top - End - #868

Oh good, Jim is making outlandish "plans" again

It occurs to me that, given Jim and Annie are playing Poe and Finn, we might end up seeing
    Spoiler: Don't know if this counts as a spoiler since it wasn't in the movie
    Show
    A Poe and Finn romance

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Oh good, Jim is making outlandish "plans" again

It occurs to me that, given Jim and Annie are playing Poe and Finn, we might end up seeing
    Spoiler: Don't know if this counts as a spoiler since it wasn't in the movie
    Show
    A Poe and Finn romance
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, they made Anakin and Padme work. Poe and Finn would be easy in comparison.

30. - Top - End - #870

memnarch, you're almost right. They're not cooling fins ... they're "looking cool" fins.

That's my best guess, anyway.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.