New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Now this is a Snoke I can get behind. More than just a pale imitation of Palpatine all over again.

Spoiler: Rise of Skywalker
    Show
    And I can't wait to see Nute piloting Sheev around. Will he have stolen the body or built one, you think?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Sheev The Resurrection of the Emperor, but rather just a random (clone?) body going through midichlorian rejection. Also it'll definitely be piloted rather than having Nute's mind directly uploaded, too much of a risk of the new Nute not being subservient.

While the body might be a Sheev clone, I'm not certain they won't just avoid using shots that make his identity clear, or just make a joke about reusing a miniature 9they've done it before in a bonus strip). It's possibly the bit of the film that makes the least sense as it does seem to have been added to the film because after The Last Jedi there didn't seem to be any credible villains.

Which is another thing I expect D&D will fix, making Ren and Hux come out of Episode 8 feeling like a more significant threat.

Also nice to see the group getting more comfortable with Troupe-style play, even if Sally is playing multiple characters in the same scene. I'm not going to be surprised if everybody is going to be playing 2-3 characters by the end of E9.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Sheev The Resurrection of the Emperor, but rather just a random (clone?) body going through midichlorian rejection. Also it'll definitely be piloted rather than having Nute's mind directly uploaded, too much of a risk of the new Nute not being subservient.

While the body might be a Sheev clone, I'm not certain they won't just avoid using shots that make his identity clear, or just make a joke about reusing a miniature 9they've done it before in a bonus strip).
    Spoiler: Rise of Skywalker movie spoilers
    Show
    I don't think his identity needs to be hidden. The Emperor is a very different character in Darths than in Star Wars, but his death was similar. He fell down in a bottomless shaft in his own throne room. Luke survived a jump into a bottomless shaft, and that's without preparing the shaft like the Emperor is likely to have done in his own throne room. In a universe with field generators that slow down your fall, that shouldn't kill you. And just because we already have Nute, Snoke, Kylo Ren, and general Hux as villains now won't stop one more villain from appearing, two campaigns later.

The main difference will probably be that in Star Wars, the Emperor wanted to be resurrected for some weird reason that I don't understand, while Darths will take the more obvious interpretation and show that bringing back a powerful undead lich to true mortal life makes them less powerful, so Rey used her healing power deliberately to weaken the Emperor.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2021-04-12 at 02:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

While the body might be a Sheev clone, I'm not certain they won't just avoid using shots that make his identity clear, or just make a joke about reusing a miniature 9they've done it before in a bonus strip). It's possibly the bit of the film that makes the least sense as it does seem to have been added to the film because after The Last Jedi there didn't seem to be any credible villains.

Which is another thing I expect D&D will fix, making Ren and Hux come out of Episode 8 feeling like a more significant threat.

Also nice to see the group getting more comfortable with Troupe-style play, even if Sally is playing multiple characters in the same scene. I'm not going to be surprised if everybody is going to be playing 2-3 characters by the end of E9.
    Spoiler: Last Jedi
    Show
    I don't know, I think a dangerous, unhinged force user who just took control of a galaxy-spanning military is just about one of the best villains you can ask for.

I think at the end of this trilogy Nute Gunray will be defeated permanently. I think he's pretty clearly gonna be the main villain, and the Irregulars don't know if there will be more mainline Star Wars stuff to continue the story down. I think this'll be a pretty solid ending without much left dangling, personally.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Concerning today's page, did we previously know that Jackson's LOTR movies existed in this timeline? The lines here are closer to the movies than the books.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Sally is definitely having fun.

Spoiler: Episode VII
    Show
    Memnarch's prediction is surprisingly accurate.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-04-13 at 10:03 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I think at the end of this trilogy Nute Gunray will be defeated permanently. I think he's pretty clearly gonna be the main villain, and the Irregulars don't know if there will be more mainline Star Wars stuff to continue the story down. I think this'll be a pretty solid ending without much left dangling, personally.
    At any rate, they can safely give him a definitive-looking defeat. If they'll ever need him again, well, Nute Gunray is known to be MAA-NY. They can always pull another one of him out of the hat.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    At any rate, they can safely give him a definitive-looking defeat. If they'll ever need him again, well, Nute Gunray is known to be MAA-NY. They can always pull another one of him out of the hat.
    They're a yottadime a dozen!
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #1358

So Snoke inverts his sentences like Yoda.

9. - Top - End - #1359

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Concerning today's page, did we previously know that Jackson's LOTR movies existed in this timeline? The lines here are closer to the movies than the books.
    Yes, we did.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So Snoke inverts his sentences like Yoda.
    Well, they're both played by Sally, so it's probably a deliberate callback on her part.

Almost forgot how impressive Snoke looks in that scene.
    Actually made me want to see him in action back then.

Show
    Shame the next movie made him so tiny.
    And cut him down even further.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh. I kind of had the opposite impression. I thought the king-sized hologram was the work of a laughable egomaniac (something helped by the similarity of the name Snoke to Spode, the would-be dictator from the Wooster & Jeeves novels), but thought his performance in VIII much improved.

Spoiler: VIII
    Show
    ...at least until the end. The part where he narrates Kylo's manipulation of a lightsaber in such a way as to make the target ambiguous didn't really sit well with me, since Snoke isn't literally reading Kylo's mind; he should be able to detect the intent better.

Edit: Hmm, comic!Snoke doesn't seem to have a full understanding of the history of the game thus far. Unless I'm misremembering, I don't think Palpatine really went all in with the "turn people to the dark side" plan, even in Episode VI.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2021-04-18 at 01:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1362

I must be misremembering: I thought it was implied that the Moon Ghost was Nute infecting the Peace Moon.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I must be misremembering: I thought it was implied that the Moon Ghost was Nute infecting the Peace Moon.
    It was, but i dont know that they players ever figured that out, specifically.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #1364

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It was, but i dont know that they players ever figured that out, specifically.
    Annie did, but this could be a case of player/character separation.
    That said, Chewbacca knew that R2 got possessed by Nute when he plugged into the Peace Moon, so if he's also aware of the Moon Ghost stories you'd think he could put two and two together.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post

Edit: Hmm, comic!Snoke doesn't seem to have a full understanding of the history of the game thus far. Unless I'm misremembering, I don't think Palpatine really went all in with the "turn people to the dark side" plan, even in Episode VI.
    Probably referring to either Padme Vader's betrayal of Palpatine happening because she tried to turn Luke to the dark side, or to Palpatine turning Padme to the dark side...which in turn ended up in his death.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Annie did, but this could be a case of player/character separation.
    That said, Chewbacca knew that R2 got possessed by Nute when he plugged into the Peace Moon, so if he's also aware of the Moon Ghost stories you'd think he could put two and two together.
    I thought R2 got possessed by Nute when he hacked into Cloud City (which also had a copy of Nute plugged into it).

17. - Top - End - #1367

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I thought R2 got possessed by Nute when he hacked into Cloud City (which also had a copy of Nute plugged into it).
    Nope. When he downloaded the Peace Moon.
    If you read it back attentively, you can start spotting R/L inversions even before the end of Episode IV. I made a list of them at some point, not sure if I still have it.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #1368

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Nope. When he downloaded the Peace Moon.
    If you read it back attentively, you can start spotting R/L inversions even before the end of Episode IV. I made a list of them at some point, not sure if I still have it.
    I think this "glow/grow" here is the first.

https://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0851.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I think this "glow/grow" here is the first.

https://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0851.html
    That's actually really clever, I thought that one in particular was just a different turn of phrase.

...wow, there are a lot of situations where the r/l substitution just kind of works. They really thought this through, huh.

"Flee! Flee! Suckers." ("Haha, look at the fleeing idiots.") vs "Free! Free! Suckers." ("Haha, I'm free of the Peace Moon!")
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-04-30 at 12:11 AM.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #1370

"GM's" "campaign notes": ""Pete will run out of subtle R/L inversions and the others will quickly notice as they get more obvious. <-- must be like 3 at most"
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

21. - Top - End - #1371

PirateGuy

Just a lil' nitpick (sort of) in the latest comic's author commentary:

Dwarves brew beer, but they brew it from fungus.
    So... just like us humans do in the real world?

Okay, okay, I think they mean the main ingredient is a fungus rather than barley, but I couldn't resist commenting this
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2021-05-02 at 09:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Just a lil' nitpick (sort of) in the latest comic's author commentary:

So... just like us humans do in the real world?

Okay, okay, I think they mean the main ingredient is a fungus rather than barley, but I couldn't resist commenting this
    "You humans mix yeast with your barley, but we mix yeast with our other-yeast!"

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I had a map like that once. It was printed onto a shirt, and was additionally covered with either depth or altitude lines. However, we'd gotten it from Goodwill and the company that made it no longer existed, so we had no idea where it was supposed to be a map of! Friends, teachers, family, google; all failed to identify it. Years went by, and eventually the shirt was ragged enough that we donated it. We never did find out what it was a map of, or even if it was a map of a place and not just a bunch of map patterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

24. - Top - End - #1374

If anyone else was wondering, like me, yes this is a callback to a specific instance of Jim contradicting the GM: Episode 50.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Reminds me of a funny moment in... Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I think it was? Went something like:

"We've found the data. Prepare for a file transfer."

"What format?"

*entire file cabinet crashes through the window and lands on the sidewalk in front of the Quinn Jet*
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-05-18 at 12:58 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

26. - Top - End - #1376

Spoiler: Episode VIII
    Show
    So all this talk of experimental hyperspace technology is obviously foreshadowing for the Irregulars' handling of the scene that caused a lot of people to freak out with hyperspace ramming, right?

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Episode VIII
    Show
    So all this talk of experimental hyperspace technology is obviously foreshadowing for the Irregulars' handling of the scene that caused a lot of people to freak out with hyperspace ramming, right?
    Show

Even before that, there the bit in Ep7 where they hyperjump into the atmosphere of Starkiller Base the Peace Moon.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-05-18 at 06:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1378

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Show

Even before that, there the bit in Ep7 where they hyperjump into the atmosphere of Starkiller Base the Peace Moon.
    Spoiler: General ST
    Show
    Yep. The Sequel Trilogy plays really fast and loose with the established rules of hyperspace and has people doing a lot of weird stuff around it, so I guess the experimental drive is a good way to make all that actually make sense.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Sequel Trilogy
    Show
    It's actually kind of sad that a tabletop parody put in more thought to keep the hyperdrive relatively consistent than the actual movies.

Then again, "MYSTERY BOXES", right?
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-05-19 at 02:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler: Episode IX
    Show
    I'm looking forward to what they do with 9's stupidest plot point (possibly tied with the nav-beacons for getting off Exegol): the wayfinder dagger. If anyone can turn that insult to the viewer's intelligence nonsense into a compelling plot point, it's the Comic Irregulars.

Also looking forward to the cavalry charge, though I actually rather liked that scene in the original.
    Optimization Trophies