New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1690.html

This is basically the Star Wars version of 9/11. Destroy a building with astrojet fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #182

Frankly, this part of the movie was a little weak. However, the comic here is even weaker than the movie was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Weak or not, is there any sense of "reasonableness" in the movie here?

We are apparently going from a full military siege of the ship to situation normal.

And I'm guessing that the ship flies in, trying to pick up our heroes, only for a massive fireball to cause a TPK, switching the scene back to the group receiving the plans.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Weak or not, is there any sense of "reasonableness" in the movie here?

We are apparently going from a full military siege of the ship to situation normal.

And I'm guessing that the ship flies in, trying to pick up our heroes, only for a massive fireball to cause a TPK, switching the scene back to the group receiving the plans.
    Youll see. But without spoiling anything, remember that this is a Jim plan and set your expectations accordingly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #185

In the movie, there are ... complications that drive the choices made by the main characters. The situation is about as normal at this point as when Han says, "situation normal. Everything is okay here. How are you?" Any lull in the action is thus caused by the stormtrooper leadership trying to figure out where they need to deploy rather than by leadership not being aware that something is up.

As for how normal the present bit is in the comic, they have security on the way thanks to something Jim said. Any amount of talking here is probably because they want to get as much out of Jyn and Cassian in the Vault as possible.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

6. - Top - End - #186

Just a nitpick, keybounce, but if the doors in the cargo hold are airtight enough to hold against vacuum, liquids will not be a problem.

7. - Top - End - #187

BlackDragon

That's a really good point, thank you. I was thinking of normal earth cargo ships when I wrote that.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #188

So was I. The IJN supercarrier Shinano was sunk because of a lack of airtight compartments. Maybe they didn't let water through, but they let all the air be forced out, to be replaced by water.

And once enough pressure is applied (or removed by vacuum), you aren't watertight anymore either.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    So was I. The IJN supercarrier Shinano was sunk because of a lack of airtight compartments. Maybe they didn't let water through, but they let all the air be forced out, to be replaced by water.

And once enough pressure is applied (or removed by vacuum), you aren't watertight anymore either.
    On the other hand, the US battleship Arizona was lost despite airtight compartments. The last crew to die died about a week after the ship sank: they were in a compartment, locked the door against the waters, but ended up a couple decks below the waves before the invention of scuba gear. I'm not sure if they starved, suffocated, or died of dehydration.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #190

No one can say with any certainty, although starvation is almost certainly out in that timeframe. Similar happened with the USS Utah and USS Oklahoma.

11. - Top - End - #191

PirateGuy

While the comic does have a lot of classical Darths & Droids misdirection and clever use of screencapping to tell an alternative story, from my hazy memory of the movie, I think the ship is actually sitting there undisturbed in the middle of a battle in this scene. Maybe they landed in a hidden, out-of-the way spot? Don't quite remember. Even so, it beggars belief.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    While the comic does have a lot of classical Darths & Droids misdirection and clever use of screencapping to tell an alternative story, from my hazy memory of the movie, I think the ship is actually sitting there undisturbed in the middle of a battle in this scene. Maybe they landed in a hidden, out-of-the way spot? Don't quite remember. Even so, it beggars belief.
    Spoiler: Rogue One
    Show
    Why? Its an imperial shuttle manned by an imperial pilot. The rebels wont shoot it because its their ride home. The imperials wont shoot it because they think its a friendly, and also because blasters are, as a rule, not effective against spacecraft anyway. Plus, the rebels are trying to avoid having the imperials fighting them directly on top of it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #193

I love this one just for replicating that scene from Back to the Future (and BTTF2).

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    The battle is happening elsewhere at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    The reason for the troops going out and causing havoc was to create a distraction. At one point we see the Bohdi throwing misdirection by claiming to be on different pads and having rebel troops attacking.

Also, in the film he is hooking up an antenna so they can tell the ships outside to shield to watch for their transmission, not filling up with fuel. In star wars, fuel lines look, well, like fuel lines or fire hoses. If I had to chart where things actually started going wrong for the party, the trooper getting the drop on him is probably where I would put it.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2018-08-14 at 12:40 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #195

Also, it should be noted that Darths and Droids has the habit of changing the pacing of scenes, sometimes fitting what seems like entire conversations in what were moments in the movie and sometimes going quickly through long, drawn-out scene changes or tense standoff moments, and sometimes even having conversations between characters/players (OoC or IC) who weren't even in the same scene, through the magic of editing.

In this scene in particular,
    Spoiler: Rogue One
    Show
    the pilot and the trooper don't have a friendly conversation; in fact, the pilot doesn't even notice the trooper until he turns around and sees the gun. The whole scene is done in seconds, much shorter than the amount of time it takes to read their conversation.

This change of pace works because the writers are making their own original story (imagine if Darths and Droids closely followed the true plot? That'd be so boring).
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-08-14 at 04:05 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #196

I don't know. Having Jim speak Han's actual lines from the movie in the detention block in Ep IV was pretty sweet.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, this scene diverged a lot from the movie.

Spoiler: rogue one
    Show

Here, Bodhi is about to hook up the ship to the main comms antenna for the facility so he has enough signal strength to tell the rebels to expect the plans soon. It takes about a minute in total, but darths makes it seem much longer.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't regret K-2, now you get to shoot the angels in heaven.
    As many targets as you could wish for...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #199

In response to Keybounce's final jab at the stupid manual crane: I totally agree! What kind of idiot has a manual crane when you could have a computer controlled one?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #200

BlackDragon

The empire, apparently.

Whoever designed this research station.

... You know, on a water planet, where some sand had to be shipped in, that had enough plants grow to permit a hostile army to hide.

Where you can have a waterfall because there's a big gap in the ground ...

No, I don't understand it either.

21. - Top - End - #201

Succinct description of most sci-fi world building.

Oh, and it looks like that infantry assault you were asking about has arrived.

22. - Top - End - #202

Bit late, but:

Just a nitpick, keybounce, but if the doors in the cargo hold are airtight enough to hold against vacuum, liquids will not be a problem.
    That's debatable, actually; the seals necessary to maintain a breathable atmosphere inside a ship would only need to hold against about one atmosphere of pressure (plus whatever additional pressure the ship's acceleration can produce) and shouldn't normally be exposed to anything too nasty. Replacing the ship's atmosphere with fuel could result in significantly higher pressures being exerted on the seals and significantly alter the pressure gradients over the length of the seal, and may expose the seals to substances significantly more corrosive or reactive than air.

Additionally, external seals are not the only concern - the cargo compartments which we can see appear to be internally accessible from the cockpit, leading to the question of whether or not the cockpit (and, for that matter, other areas of the ship which might be nonfunctional if flooded) can be adequately isolated from the cargo bays full of fuel.

Also, if we're pretending that physics applies to magitech, then I'd note that the amount of force which must be exerted by a device such as an "inertial compensator" or "artificial gravity generator" which produces a uniform acceleration field over a given volume is directly proportional to the mass within that volume; Newton's Laws are the same whether the force is concentrated a point or distributed over a line, plane, or volume, even if the math gets messier. Depending on how dense starship fuel is and how rapidly the ship needs to accelerate in order to hit Scarif Tower before the defenses presumably present at a military installation can respond, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the magitech to fail to function correctly, or perhaps even at all ... and even if the inertial compensators and artificial gravity devices function correctly there's still the possibility that the reaction forces exerted on the magitech devices would rip them off the ship's frame, or even rip apart the ship's structure. There's also the possibility, depending on the mechanics of how inertial compensators work, that starship fuel is a sufficiently different medium from air, humans, and standard cargo to prevent the magitech from working for other reasons - as a perhaps-iffy analogy, a waterproof electric motor which drives a propeller might fail in air due to the differences in thermal properties between air and water and the lower loading on the motor when spinning the propeller in air rather than water while a similar system intended for use in air may fail when immersed in water due to the differences in electrical properties between water and air and the increased loading on motor when the propeller is immersed in water instead of air. Of course, it's doubtful that such things were considered when the decision was made to implicitly or explicitly include things like inertial compensators as features of the setting, even assuming that this was a conscious decision.

To keybounce: regarding the comment about the doors closing in the event of damage to the controls or power supply based on the evidence of the doors on the Death Star doing so in A New Hope, I personally would consider that a reasonable failsafe precaution, at the very least for doors at airtight compartment boundaries, on a combatant spacecraft such as the Death Star, and I cannot see any good reason for that enormous shaft in the Death Star not to be its own airtight compartment, especially if it reaches somewhere near the surface of the vessel; exposing it to vacuum has the potential to cause a loss of atmosphere over too much of the vessel otherwise. Moreover, battle damage, internal explosion, and fire are probably more likely - and almost certainly more dangerous, at least on spacecraft of more reasonable scale - causes of power or controls failure than sabotage or accidental damage specifically affecting the doors' power supplies or control units.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now that I think about it, these guys have been playing together for how many years? And never once have they spontaneously broken into song that I can recall.

24. - Top - End - #204

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wasn't counting it when they sing in character.

26. - Top - End - #206

Annie does sing the song she wrote for her father's funeral. I forget where that was.

27. - Top - End - #207

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I wasn't counting it when they sing in character.
    The line between IC and OOC may be kinda blurred in most gaming tables though, and certainly in this one.

28. - Top - End - #208

Ah, so that's what d4s are for!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, so that's what d4s are for!
    What else could they possibly be for?

Also, that die- and the fact he owns one -is just so incredibly Pete.
    It's almost better than Luke's (Grandline 3.5) special diplomacy D20.
    Pete looses some style points for only breaking it out in a no-loose situation.
    Bloody show-off...
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2018-09-20 at 04:28 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

It's been a while since a Darths and Droids strio made me laugh like that.

"I roll One with the Die. The Die is with me!"
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.