New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Plug-in Hybrid and Home Charging

I'm in the market for a new car and and have pretty much decided what I want. The vehicle I'm considering comes in both hybrid and plug-in hybrid models.

I had previously been looking at a fully electric car and know that a lot of manufacturers will install a home charger when you get a new electric vehicle. I have not seen the same thing with new plug-in hybrids. I have a place to put a charging station, and there is already an electrical hookup in the parking area of the house. (The previous owners used it to plug in their camper.) Obviously, it would need to be converted to a vehicle charging station, but the wiring is already done.

Does anyone know if hybrid manufacturers will install a home charging station if a get a plug-in hybrid?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Plug-in Hybrid and Home Charging

Hyundai's web site says that they will sell you a level-2 charger and connect you with an installation service. It is not included with the cost of the car. I'm not prepared to look at all of the other manufacturers of plug-in hybrids.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Plug-in Hybrid and Home Charging

For most plug-in hybrids, a standard household outlet will get you back all your battery capacity overnight. Just make sure the car comes with a suitable cable for it.

That said, if you already have a 50A outlet for a RV, you may not need any extra work for a L2 charger, as they tend to use the same NEMA 14-50 plugs.
    Last edited by Arutema; 2023-03-31 at 12:11 PM.