Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 759
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin shifts from foot to foot, stretching a little. "Well, it's been a long night. We could check back on Clovius, or do a little sightseeing first, especially if it's on the way." Bobin winks at Jack as he speaks, not particularly subtly.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Level 5 does sound nice, but we could make a quick jaunt over to look into Jack's pilfered key, or stop by the inn and follow up on the key in the later morning (I'm assuming it's still the wee hours at the moment).
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jon looks at the King with surprise, eyes wide open, at first: "You eat dogs! Why! That's"

    Jon suddenly stops talking, with very slowly mounting suspicion, as his eyes narrow toward the King. This expression is in turn chased (well, with the speed of some very old woman chasing kids off her lawn) by mounting horror, as Jon's eyes go wide again and his face turns very, very, pale.

    "Toby? No! Noooooo..." Jon's face freezes in shock, except for his mouth that keeps moving without any more words coming out.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Did you bait me? I believe it was unintentional, but I still feel I was baited into this.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Well, um, I mean ... not regularly. You know? Dogs are tricky, they're really fast and stuff. And cows have more meat, and don't run away, they just stand there. I like cows, heh ... stupid cows.

    But, don't worry,
    he adds, sensing the source of the commotion, when you decide you wanna eat your dog, you don't have to share or nuthin'. I can always just ask Trufaut for some more cow. Hm. Or maybe not, he seemed kinda upset.

    Or sheep.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "Jon? Jon!" Bobin tuggs at Jon's sleeve to get his attention. "I'm sure that Ogg didn't eat Toby. He'll turn up, like he always does." Despite the confident reassurance in Bobin's voice, he casts a quick sidelong glance at the ogre, then shakes his head. ... Nah, I don't believe that.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jon comes back to his senses, as if waking from a deep sleep. He takes a deep breath in, as if emerging from a deeper river. "Huuuuuh..." He nods in assentiment to Bobin's calming words, without any sign of doubt. "Yeah, I'm sure Toby be back soon."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin sidles nonchalantly over to Jack, and, compelled by some whim, whispers conspiratorially: "So, do you have everything you need to make a decent forgery? I've got to say, the key's starting to tug at my curiosity. I've changed my mind, I'm sure Clovius can wait." Bobin rubs his hands together, overcome by an uncharacteristic gleefulness.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jack and the gang say their farewells, promising to be back soon.

    As they leave the hall, Jack seals the conspiracy with a wide, devious smile and a careful nod. He whispers back "I could not think of much else since we left the manor. I think I do have everything I need. I tried my hand a few times at things like this before, but it was all much more planned. Here, we'll have to wing it a bit. Besides, I was worried I might stand out as a goblin, but I know of at least one other goblin from around here whose name I'd like to tarnish a bit."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "Aw? You met 'nother goblin? Is he friendly?" says Jon, completely missing the point.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "I can't say for sure he's friendly, but he certainly smiles a lot." explains Jack. As always, he encourages Jon to be part of the conversation, despite everything.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    The Madripore office for Zeldenfigger & Daughters is located on a small square where four streets meet. The office itself is part of a three story building - mansion wouldn't be entirely unfitting - one of many gnomish financial concerns.

    The square features a central well/statue/fountain, some monument to heroes of a past either forgotten, or at least unknown to you guys. It's the very early morning, but a few vendors are setting up stalls. Not that this is a market square, these are stalls belonging to the shops and businesses on the square. It's far from busy yet, but it is stirring.

    Lights are out in all the windows of the buildings. It's the predawn, the sky only just brightening. Somewhere, a city guard is calling out the time.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Anything you wanna do, rolls you wanna rolls, things you want to talk about .. snacks you want to eat: Now is the time.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin, having not partaken in last night's feasting, begins to feel the rumblings of hunger in his stomach. He makes a quick survey of the square, hoping to spot a bakery. Scratching his stomach, he says: "Well, I might just try to find a bite to eat." He sniffs the air. "I think I can smell fresh bread, somewhere..."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    It occurs to me: do we need to find some sealing wax for the document we forged?
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    No! The Marshall has everything you could possibly need - from high quality paper, to quills and ink, to wax. He even has a very nice official looking red ribbon to bind it with.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "Alright, you go and fetch something for the three of us. Assuming Jon here has managed to work up an appetite already. He's a growing boy, he needs his sustenance...
    We'll go and see if we can get us into the bank at this time of the day. Don't take too long!"
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    It's peaceful, quiet, that comfortable fading darkness that promises a great day. It feels like there is no way an ambush could be just seconds away.

    There is a baker - not yet open, but the smell of fresh baked bread and pastries sends a clear signal that the ovens are stoked and the working day has begun. Bobin pops into the back yard, and finds an open door through which a big fat baker in white clothes can be seen.

    Meanwhile, Jon and Jack walk blithely into the square - as if Trufaut would wake up and not notice the absence of his ring and key. There is no great rush, rather a firm competence and confidence, as armed men block the entries to the square.

    Trufaut, safe behind said armed men, steps out of the shadows and speaks:

    Hand over the ring and key, and I may let you live with nothing more serious than a severe beating. This isn't a negotiation. Do it now,
    or die.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    The square is square, 60'x60'. Four roads lead into it - each blocked by a halberdier and an archer. Jack and Jon are right at the center of the square, and Bobin is somewhere behind one set of archer+halberdier. Trufaut is on one of the roads, behind protection. So:

    Lets say Bobin is on Road1. Trufaut is on Road(1d4)[2]. (What that means is, if Bobin takes the other exit from that back yard, he will be behind Trufaut. He can only do that if he rolls a 20+ on listen) (I mean, he can do that without a succes, but then he will be 1 round delayed)

    I'm not letting you roll perception for this - primarily because they were effectively out of sight, and knew you were coming. It's also not a surprise round, because Trufaut wanted a moment to gloat.

    Oh, and before anyone asks: Trufaut has a scroll ready, and a tube on his hip.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-20 at 02:44 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin is halfway through negotiating a premium price on an early loaf of fresh bread with the baker when his ears prick up. The, by now familiar, voice of Trufaut interrupts Bobin's transaction and he momentarily freezes. The next instant his feet are already carrying him toward the voice as he tips his hat to the the baker.

    "Sorry, gotta run!" he mumbles hastitly.

    Bobin moves quickly and stealthily through the yard and down a back staircase until he reaches the street behind Trufaut, where he takes a quick peek toward the square.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Bobin will try to reach the edge of the street behind Trufaut without alerting him. If he has to move at near full speed to reach the street in a timely fashion, he'll take the -5 to move silently. When he reaches the street he'll try to remain hidden for the moment.

    MoveSilently - (1d20+10)[12] (-5 if he needs to move at more than half-speed)
    Hide - (1d20+9)[24]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jon takes a few steps towards Trufaut. "Oh, it's you again. Huuuh, sorry 'bout th'food. But, I don't know what key an' ring you talkin' bout?"

    Yet, seeing the armed guards in front of Trufaut, he unstraps Orduar from his back. "I don't understand," he pleads to the nearest guard, hoping someone will give him some explanation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Walk towards Trufaut, stopping 15ft away from the armed guard, so that Jon and him are both outside each other's reach.

    Ready a disarm attempt if the guard enters his reach. The guard will get an AoO against Jon, since he doesn't have improved disarm. If he deals any damage to Jon, his disarm fails. However, Jon has 3/- DR, since he's got ample time to get back his heavy armor plates back from Creigh.

    Disarm - (1d20+7)[8] we both get +4 for using a 2-handed weapon, so I didn't include it.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Jack will cast covertly (= dispensing with display) Psionic Charm on Trufaut, hoping to get him to back off without trouble. Will DC 16. Should I roll diplomacy as well?
    If that doesn't work, I guess we can do some guerrilla in the market square. Jack might even enjoy it.

    "Now, now. No need to be so antagonistic." says Jack, trying his very powered best to soothe the nobleman. "We were indeed a bit curious about this particular... venue, but we haven't done anything yet that might evoke such a heated response. I'm sure we can all agree to call this a misunderstanding and go our separate ways, with everyone's possessions in their respective pockets and everyone's limbs and bones untouched. What do you think?"
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-01-22 at 06:17 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Trufaut, despite many other flaws, at least isn't one to make idle threats. When Jon readies his weapon, he makes a cutting motion with his hand, and says simply: Fire!

    The archers aren't late to comply - bowstrings twang and arrows fly.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Sadly, I can't quite recall the Pratchett quote on picking a fight with competent archers. Luckily, it's still dark, so any hit will have a miss chance.

    That said, arrows hail down:
    Archer1, attack 1: (1d20+5)[13] vs. Jon (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[83])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    Archer1, attack 2: (1d20+5)[21] vs. Jon (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[82])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

    Archer2, attack 1: (1d20+5)[15] vs Jon (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[5])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Archer2, attack 2: (1d20+5)[11] vs Jon (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[32])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Archer3, attack 1: (1d20+5)[15] vs Jack (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[35])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]
    Archer3, attack 2: (1d20+5)[18] vs Jack (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[2])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

    Archer4, attack 1: (1d20+5)[15] vs Jack (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[64])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Archer4, attack 2: (1d20+5)[21] vs Jack (miss on 20 or less (1d100)[44])
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

    Can we maybe add links to everyone's sheets to that loot list? I figure that's a grand total of 2 hits, one on Jack and one on Jon - but I'm not sure, cause I can't find the links =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-25 at 05:59 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "Wait..." says Jack, too late. Arrows start zipping from every corner. Literally. Some go wild, some he dodges, but the last one grazes him in the arm. "Is this the way you want to handle this? Fine, but you might come to regret your lack of patience." To Jon: "Hey, man. Try not to get hit if you can". With that, he stinks and dives behind one of the stalls, soon lost to sight.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    1 hit, correct.
    Forget the charm, too late for that now. He casts Compression and hides among the stalls in the market. Hide - (1d20+17)[25]
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-01-30 at 11:44 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin is unsurprised by Trufaut's attack, but he had still maintained hope for a more peaceful resolution. Taking a step into the street, Bobin pulls a smokestick from his pouch, preparing to throw it at the first sign of movement from Trufaut, in an attempt to disorient him.

    "Jon! Over here!" Bobin calls out, having lost sight of Jack. Bobin then prepares himself to fight, manifesting his mindblade. The blade's edge glitters with frost.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Bobin will 5-foot step out into the street behind Trufaut and then throw the smokestick at his feet (targeting the 5-foot square he is standing in, which I think should be AC 5 to hit). He will then move-action to manifest his mindblade (which is still charged with Psychic Strike), choosing cold for the bonus elemental damage. Link to smokestick on the SRD.

    ThrowStick - (1d20+10)[20] (I'm not sure whether this would incur a -4 for non-proficiency, subtract it if is does)

    Edit: If you prefer I'll re-roll when Bobin actually throws the smokestick.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2018-01-30 at 10:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    "What? Ow! Bobin? Stop shooting!" After a short surprise, both at being on the receiving end of arrows and being called by Bobin, Jon stops thinking too much about his predicament and follows Bobin's voice.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Two move actions, trying to slip between Truffaut's guards in the confusion of Bobin's smokestick.

    If the way is blocked, Jon will try to overrun a guard holding a polearm: Str - (1d20+3)[20].

    Note that Overrun is a special kind of maneuver: Even if the opponent's AoO connects, the maneuver isn't interrupted.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    As Trufaut's bowmen raise their weapons for another volley, Trufaut himself unrolls a scroll and begins casting.

    At which point Bobin tosses his smokestick, robbing Trufaut and the nearest bowman of their targets. A sentence unfit for public ears, dripping abuse and invective like a raincloud drips water, issues from the noble, indicating it was likely a targeted spell.

    Jon makes a run for it - pelted once again by arrows - ducks through the smoke, where one halberdier waits to stab him.

    Spoiler: Les rolls!
    Show

    Bowman1:
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[6] (I cheated on the first round - I forgot that Rapid Shot has a penalty. Guess how often I play an archer.)
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Attack2: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Bowman2
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Attack2: (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    Bowman3
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

    Attack2: (1d20+3)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

    Avren the Halberdier:
    Attack: (1d20+1)[5] vs Touch - Miss chance: (1d100)[2] 20 or less is a miss
    Trip attempt: (1d20+2)[18] vs Str or Dex

    Edit: Those are some incredibly crappy rolls =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-30 at 11:21 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    As Jon makes his attempt at getting away, Jack shoots the archer in the opposite direction, aiming for the knee, then zips away once more among the stalls.

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'd like to do a little urban guerrilla if possible. Fire (standard) and hide away (move). Next turn: recharge. Let me know if that's something that is not likely to succeed, so that I might change my actions.
    hit - (1d20+10)[19], Damage - (4d6+2)[21], Crit - (1d20+10)[29]
    Hide - (1d20+17)[22]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Through a confusion of smoke, guards and more arrows, Jon emerges into a street. He may have walked on a spear or something, bumped into someone, he doesn't know for sure. As he runs, he gives a quick look around for Bobin. Then he accelerates and dashes as far away as he can.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Run for x3 movement (because of heavy armor) as far as possible up the street.

    Paladin + Heavy Armor = Bad at running away as a feature. Next time I'll do Monk/Paladin for fast movement :P
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    As Jon makes his attempt at getting away, Jack shoots the archer in the opposite direction, aiming for the knee, then zips away once more among the stalls.

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'd like to do a little urban guerrilla if possible. Fire (standard) and hide away (move). Next turn: recharge. Let me know if that's something that is not likely to succeed, so that I might change my actions.
    [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
    [roll3]
    Spoiler: Breakdown!
    Show

    Sniping, while definitely valid, comes with rather heavy penalties. As in -20. So ... let's break it down.

    Jack has +17 to hide. That seems to be +4 for size, another +4 for being even smaller due to Compression, +5 for ranks, +4 for dex bonus. Then there is a bit of distance, giving another +4 (actually a -4 to their Spot). This totals out to a grand +1 to Jack's raw dice rolls of 5. So 6 is what the halberdiers need to beat on their Spot.

    Now, interestingly, if you can get total cover or concealment, it obviates the hide check. So, yea, whatever they mean by that.

    I deem thusly: The merchant stalls can provide total cover in one direction, partial in two, and none what so ever in the last.

    This round, Jack has the (attractive option) of hiding behind a stall towards the enemies currently blinded by Bobin. Thus giving total cover/concealment to half the enemies.

    The remaining ones will roll perception. And quite likely see poor Jack.

    Sniping isn't easy.


    Jack pops out of hiding, levels his crossbow at an archer, and strikes him square in the knee. The bolt, while relatively small, arrives with psionic force behind it, masterfully aimed to inflict the most damage - and the unfortunate archer all but loses his lower leg to long range surgery. He falls over, bleeding out.

    Jack then does his utmost to find cover once more, but is somewhat disheartened by the fact that the guards seem easily able to track him.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Through a confusion of smoke, guards and more arrows, Jon emerges into a street. He may have walked on a spear or something, bumped into someone, he doesn't know for sure. As he runs, he gives a quick look around for Bobin. Then he accelerates and dashes as far away as he can.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Run for x3 movement (because of heavy armor) as far as possible up the street.

    Paladin + Heavy Armor = Bad at running away as a feature. Next time I'll do Monk/Paladin for fast movement :P
    It's a quick but exciting dash through the smoke. It would have been quite possible to impale oneself on a waiting halberd, but instead there is the brief impression of other people in the haze - then he's out on the opposite side again.

    Jon notices Bobin, mind blade ready, waves briefly, and stomps past, heading - essentially - for the hills.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Spoiler: Wait!
    Show

    That means it's my turn.


    Trufaut reaches into his scroll tube, and brings out another roll of mystic writing. Before casting, he hollers: Do not allow them to escape!

    He then casts his scroll, moving towards Jon to make sure he's in range.

    Spoiler: Castings!
    Show

    Ok, caster level: (1d20+3)[5] vs 6. So likely succes.

    Edit: Epic. Just so you know, I'll inform you that a giant fiendish ape fails to manifest, to the nigh-endless frustration and disappointment of Trufaut.


    As mystic energies converge and dimensions begin to collapse, Trufaut laughs maniacally. The portal begins to open, a huge looming shape pushing through - but a word slips, Trufaut stutters, misspeaks, and the spell fails. There is a brief sucking sound, and the portal snaps shut.

    Instead, the lone halberdier rushes after Jon, crying out halt, in the name of .. House Baltraine, miscreant!

    The archer by Trufaut exits the smoke, looking for Bobin, while the halberdier pounds after Jon.

    In the square, all remaining eyes are on Jack - who is less than perfectly hidded behind a stall.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    There are two archers, and three halberdiers. Jack has partial cover against those who have any chance of spotting him. One team cannot. So:

    Spot rolls:
    Archer: (1d20+5)[25] vs 6
    Halberdier: (1d20+2)[18] vs 6
    Halberdier: (1d20+2)[19] vs 6

    The archer will fire, if succesful. The halberdiers will advance - not charge - and attack from range.
    Archer:
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Attack2: (1d20+3)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

    Halberdier1:
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[6]

    Halberdier2:
    Attack1: (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[6]

    Remember +4 AC for being in cover.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-31 at 11:03 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Bobin watches for a brief moment as Jon dashes past out of the smoke, Trufaut and two guardsman following soon after. His eyes widen in alarm as Trufaut's scroll seems to call some sort of portal into existence, and then is relieved beyond words when it fizzles and fails. Not wanting to risk being shot with an arrow from behind, Bobin snaps his arm around, propelling his blade toward the archer. Hoping Jack may still be able to hear him, he calls out: "Jack! The Inn!" He then promptly spins on his heel and moves down the street after the halberdier and Jon, pulling a dagger from his belt as he does so.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Bobin will throw his mindblade at the archer, then move down the street while staying out of reach of the halberdier.

    Attack - (1d20+12)[29] CritConfirm - (1d20+12)[18] (threat on 31/32)
    Damage - (1d4+3)[7] CritBonus - (1d4+3)[7]
    ColdBonus - (1d6)[5]
    PsychicStrike - (1d8)[6]
    Edit: Total: 18
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2018-01-31 at 02:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jack hears Bobin's cry, but he is far from done. He dodges left and right, evading attacks. The last one seems to be about to hit him, when the halberd gets stuck into a nearby pumpkin. Jack jumps ahead, balancing on the shaft of the pike for a step or two before sprinting away and once more out of view, in the general direction where the archer lies on the ground.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    tumble - (1d20+11)[13] vs DC 15 to avoid the AoO. If not, his AC is 20. The plan is to shake the soldiers loose for a moment, hide and snipe again.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-02-01 at 02:14 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

    Jon looks over his shoulder and sees the halberdier following him. He stops in his tracks and turns to face the guard. "Come on! I don't even know why you attackin' me!" Jon waves his arms in exasperation.

    "How does it go 'gain?" Jon shakes his head. "Oh yeah: SCOPUM! Target acquired."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Flee for another 20ft.
    Standard Action: Cast True Strike.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •