New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Bobin stirs slightly. "Oh, mm-um... sprgle... thanks Jon, murnmm..." he mumbles, as he slips back into dream-land.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Bobin's thanks are met with a raising of eyebrows, as if Jon doesn't understand their cause.

"Y'know, I think you're better in bed than 'ere." Yet, it seems pretty clear Bobin's too far gone to register that. Jon takes the halfling up in his arms and carries him to his room, before coming back to the table.

"Any of that cheese left, Clovius?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Oh, absolutely! He dishes out some more of the cheese, adding bread, some honey roasted nuts, jam and other cheese essentials, before calling for a waiter to bring more.

Lovely place, this.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

"I should go ahead and do the same" comments Jack, seeing his friend quickly slip into a deep slumber. "It was a long day for everyone, after all, and we still have things to do!"
    He grabs the last slice of cheese from the platter and moves towards the stairs, then reconsiders. If his friend trusts this priest guy, perhaps he could do the same. He approaches and hands him a neat little pouch containing the signet ring, the key and the document they 'borrowed'. "Would you mind keeping this for me? We still have things to do, places to visit, and I'd rather not risk losing it around".
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spur of the moment thing.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

After making sure his belly is full enough, Jon yawns (a piece of salad stuck between his teeth). "Bobin's got idea, I mean, th'right idea. Goin' to bed y'all."

Jon gets up to go towards his bed, when a happy bark makes itself heard. "Toby?" Jon grabs his dog from the inn's floor. "Good Gods, it's Toby! Hey Capt'n, hey Clovius, look who's back! Who's a good boy? Aaaaw, who's a good boy! Naaaw, don't lick my face! Stop it Toby! Who's a good boy who found 'is master? Who's a good boy who think he's lost, huh? But he ain't lost, 'cause he's a good boy, that's what he is, a good doggie, right Toby, right?"

"Hey, what's that stuck in your hair? Is that pasta? You been rummaging in trash again, haven't you?!"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

The waiter ruffles Toby's head, commenting that: This young gentleman arrived at the door in the company of a young lady I feel would be unlikely to consent to digging around trash, sir - she was quite a proper little thing.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    You had to take that bait, didn't you.

Jon frowns at the waiter. "Lady? What d'you mean? Toby's my dog, not some lady's dog... OOOooooh, you mean a lady-dog, not a lady, eeerrrr, woman."

Jon pauses and looks Toby over. It seems something very unusual has happened to Toby. For the first time ever, the dog has come back from one of his escapades cleaner than when he left (well, except for that bit of pasta stuck behind his ear). Jon frowns at this unsolvable conundrum. Undoubtedly, a mystery for the ages. Jon yawns.

"This gets me tired. Come Toby, let's go to bed."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Clovius takes the items, looks them over, and arches a single eyebrow the very slightest fraction.

.. these items - well, if I didn't know any better, I'd say they weren't technically yours. I'll keep them safe, have no fear. he says, with a wink.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"No need to get tangled cup in technicalities." says Jack with a straight face. "Thank you", he adds, before going to bed.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

After a long night, you sleep most of the day away - as any growing boy should. So technically, despite not getting caught up in such, Jon is the only one doing it right.

You wake mid afternoon, and as you walk downstairs the very correct waiter informs you that 'unseemly people' have been lurking about the inn. He's given them a proper send-off (you have no idea what he means by that, but assume it's unlikely to be physical, given the man's age), but that just to make sure, there is an alternative exit from the inn should you require such.

After having a bit to eat, it's early evening, and you're ready to set off. Good thing too, since one of the things the friendly goblin informed you of was that you needed to mind the moon.

11. - Top - End - #131

Bobin thanks the waiter. After a quick bite he's ready to set off, feeling refreshed and invigorated. "Heh, sorry about just nodding off earlier. I didn't realize I was as tired as that, and I probably had just a little too much wine. I think once we see about this business with Thalaniel we'd best think about leaving the city. It'd be best not to risk running into Trufaut again. Everyone ready?"

Show

I don't recall; did we need to see the goblin fellow again, or did we manage to get enough info out of him to find our way to Thalaniel's estate?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Show

Nah, he told you how to navigate a small maze in the city park in a way that lets you onto the grounds.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"What d'you mean, unseelie, I mean, unseemly? What they look like? Jon asks the waiter.

When Bobin talks, Jon gives an annoyed sigh. "We still have stuff t'do here?" Jon looks heartbroken. "But why? We save th'King, we find Clovius, Simian paid 'em taxes an' all! An' Toby is back. Can't we just go home? I'm tired of Truffle he ain't a nice guy. An' the city smells. An' it's dirty. An' inns have good food, but the food's all strange too, not like in Silverbrook. Come on, let's go home already."

Show
    IC, Jon has no idea what Jack and Bobin were up to with the Thalaniel family, locket girl, illithids, and whatnot.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack thanks the innkeeper for the information and the way out. Whoever they are, he does not want to meet them. And if they are Trufault's goons, as he suspects they are, he really does not want to meet them.
    "We'll go home real soon, Jon. But we need to talk to this person first." explains Jack. He almost explains how such a meeting might be a rare occasion and so on, but decides to leave it at that. He does not think the argument would mean much to Jon.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #135

Bobin adds voice to Jack's reassurances: "Don't worry Jon, we just need to deliver a locket, and we'll be on our way." Bobin doesn't feel the need to add that they may very well be unwelcome guests, but figures it's best not to worry the young lad any further.

Bobin takes a quick peek out the back way into the alley, checking for any knaves or vagabonds lying in wait.

Show

Spot - (1d20+7)[22]
    Listen - (1d20+10)[11]
    If the coast is clear, he'll step out and set off for the Thalaniel compound.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

Spoiler: The 'back door'
    Show

It's not a back door. It's a secret tunnel. Honestly, all the good inns have them.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: You know what...?
    Show
    I'm still waiting for an answer to Jon's question to the waiter in my last post.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Spoiler: Jon
    Show

I'm well aware. I was just waiting for everyone to post :p

The waiter, the very picture of polite indignation, answers simply: Common ruffians - I informed them that the watch would be coming soon, and they hastily took off.

He further informs you that via the inns basement there is an exit through a neighboring house, which hardly anyone knows about.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Common ruffians - I informed them that the watch would be coming soon, and they hastily took off.
    Jon's eyes narrow. "I'm sure those ruffios are Truffio's guys!"

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "We'll go home real soon, Jon. But we need to talk to this person first."
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    "Don't worry Jon, we just need to deliver a locket, and we'll be on our way."
    "Huuuuh..." Jon sighs in an effort to show is total lack of enthusiasm. "A'ight, but you gotta promise w'all go home 'fter that, a'ight?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "Huuuuh..." Jon sighs in an effort to show is total lack of enthusiasm. "A'ight, but you gotta promise w'all go home 'fter that, a'ight?"
    "That's the plan, Jon. That's the plan." Jack reassures him.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #141

Bobin hastily closes the back door and turns to the waiter. "Oh, sorry, I guess I should have waited for you to point us in the right direction. Off to the basement then!" This time Bobin makes sure to get proper guidance before running off ahead. "If you could lead us to this exit, it would be most appreciated!"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "That's the plan, Jon. That's the plan." Jack reassures him.
    Jon nods obediently to Jack, who certainly knows better.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

It's a short trip - down a few steps, through what at first glance appears to be a closet, into a tunnel that emerges via another closet-and-a-few-steps into a dead-end alley one block away from the inn.

It's empty, and quiet. You're rather convinced your escape is clean.

Another short stroll leads you to the small park. The maze is both small and simple, and it seems patently impossible it could lead anywhere. From the entry, you go left, right, left, and so on - according to the goblins instructions. Eventually, you arrive at the small fountain at the center. Looking up, you see a waning moon. That means thrice around the fountain counterclockwise, then exit towards the north.

What you find is a long overgrown tunnel through the green hedges of the maze. You hear birdsong, and the buzzing of insects. The sun seems warmer.

The path really is quite overgrown, tall grass and annoying vines grabbing at you.

Finally, you emerge. Into you're not quite sure what.

You feel like propably this was once highly cultivated parkland. There are visible remains of gravel paths criss-crossing - there are tumbled statues, crumbled fountains, little pagodas lost under creepers and vines. You see animals moving - maybe they were once pets, or guard beasts. You're not quite sure what you're looking at. Some seem dangerously feeline. Others ... less so. Less feline, that is. But you can't quite make them out.

The area is maybe a mile to a side, square - or diamond shaped, is propably more accurate, with your entry point at the lowest point. At the center stands a tower, impossibly tall, elegant white marble but with dark clouds circling it's spire.

You feel confident that - while the goblin clearly knew how to enter, he almost certainly hasn't actually been here in a long time. Maybe never.

24. - Top - End - #144

Bobin can't help but show surprise at the overgrown grounds stretching out before them. He stares at the marble tower while he scratches his chin nervously.

"That's... more imposing a sight than I expected. We're definitely not in the city anymore. The fountain we circled must act as some sort of gate. I feel like I've heard of places like this, but I can't quite put my finger on it." Bobin thinks to himself for a moment, then shrugs.

Show

I don't think Bobin has the relevant knowledge proficiency, so he'll just make a general Int check to recall anything about these grounds.

Int - (1d20+1)[10]

"No matter. We'll just head straight for the tower, drop off the locket, and be out of here in no time!" Bobin endeavours to sound more confidant in such an outcome than he feels. "Shall we head out?"
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-03-04 at 10:41 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Actually .... surrounding the overgrown park area is a hedge, and beyond it you see what very much look like the various landmarks of the city of Madripore: The fortress in one direction, the clock tower in another. This, frankly, is a little weird, there is no way in hell there's room for a park this size right in the center of the city.

26. - Top - End - #146

Bobin catches sight of the clock tower in the distance. He stares for a long time in silence. "Ha! Well that doesn't make any sense at all. I hope we've not stumbled on some hidden path to Sigil... "
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    We did get to level 5, didn't we?

Jack regards the surrounding landscape with a little apprehension. This whole things smells like high magic like it's nobody's business. The question is: who will they find in the tower? Old powerful wizards tend to go mad with alarming frequency.
    "Right" he says "In and out, no trouble. Follow me." He moves as if to lead, but makes sure that Jon stays very very near.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-03-04 at 02:25 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Show

You are all level 5. You have access to magics the world only ever dreams of. Powers beyond the dreams of mortal men. The divine, at your very fingertips.

I guess I should post something about that.

As you progress, it becomes clear what a delightful and beautiful place this was - before it was allowed to slip into ruin. Magical lanterns dot the main path as it swings gently left and right towards the tower. There are tiny streams and lakes full of colorful fish, desperately fleeing various hungry predators. You see faerie dragons, gone feral. Sprites, leading tiny legions of rodents and wild cats into combat against each other.

You also see the feline forms stalking slowly, patiently closer. Low to the ground, all but invisible in the tall grass. They are not any type of cat you know of - black, shadowy creatures, fur slick and glistening like oil.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon spent most of the trip asking if they were far and how far they were and how long was it going to go on and so on and so on.

Once they arrive in the strange garden, Jon looks at the tower top. "Huh, can't see where it ends."

Then, as he follows Jack and Bobin forward: "OOooooh, look at the big kitties Toby! No, you ain't chasing them, don't think 'bout it. I think they wanna play!" Toby barks at what doesn't look like kitties at all. "You think we finally got to Magic Animal Land?"

Jon fetches a few treats he'd been saving for Toby from a pocket, and throws one to the closest cat. He then shakes the remaining treats in his hand, showing them to all the big kitties.

Show
    Jon loves animals. He does so much. You don't know how much he loves animals.

I know this might seem an entirely nonsensical endeavour, but Jon believes in it! Handle Animal - (1d20+7)[27]. EDIT: YES! COME TO ME MY KITTIES!

At the very least, it should make man eating shadowcats kitties somewhat confused.

For iTookUrNick's benefit: Jon has been obsessed with the Beastlands, an outer plane, since he first heard about it. Of course, Jon calls it Magic Animal Land, has never been there, and whatever he's imagining is very probably not what the Beastlands look like.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-05 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Grammar

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

The cats - there a five of them - circle in, ever closer. No one could possibly mistake this for anything other than what it is: A hunting pattern.

Anyone, that is, except Jon.

When he unexpectedly throws something at them, one of them leaps back with a hiss, and two others fold back their ears and show very white, very sharp fangs.

One does, however, stalk forward to sniff at the treat - then proceed to eat it. It issues a growl, very low, very deep, actually more of a rumble than a growl. It still creeps closer, ears back, tail wagging excitedly.

Toby - who is less of a fool than Jon - barks in warning, clearly not thrilled about this development.

The cats aren't that big. Bigger than Toby, sure, but smaller than a grown man, for instance. Up close, they're frankly rather terrifying. Fangs freakishly white, eyes disturbingly red and slightly luminous, claws that look easily capable of cutting armor. Their slick fur seems almost liquid.

When it grabs the treats from Jon's hand, it's tongue is soft and cold.

Then, it vanishes.