New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bloodsong's Oasis: Restaurant and Speakeasy

Double Date

While Dena laughs, Cantata flinches, eyes briefly widening before she tries her best to hide the reaction with an entertained smile. She understood exactly what Kirk was trying to say with that gator-like grin of his, and it hurt. It hurt on a level he couldn't even begin to guess about. She knew what it was like to be just a whim, enjoyed one day and cast out on the next. To see fans just move on and forget, watch her business partners turn their backs on her while the sutures were still in and her blood still felt fresh on the alley snow. And she feared it still, feared Tina throwing her out of her apartment when she realized just what she was underneath, people whispering behind her back and cutting her out of contracts and jobs.

So while she wants to add on and act like nothing of consequence was said, Cantata's thumb only hovers over the screen for now, unable to work up the words.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Halfling in the Playground

[Double Date]

"Oh shush you," she tries to tell Dena, perhaps both drow, but she's laughing. Kirk's response doesn't strike a chord with her like it does for Cantata. Random whims isn't really too far off her character. She doesn't think of Cantie like just another fling... but Cantie doesn't know that, either. And if that's really what Kirk's implying, what if he's right?

Fettina, to her credit, does at least pick up on Cantie's hesitation to speak. She looks over. "Something the matter?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

Kirk looks at Cantata when Fettina draws attention to her. His eyebrow raises. 'Something the matter?' indeed.

4. - Top - End - #334

[Double Date]

Dena does a double take, had Cantata perhaps misjudged a comment they had made? Actually, they? There was only one person such a comment could have come from.

She gives Kirk a playful shove. "Whatever you do Cantata, don't listen to this dofus. He can barely keep his act together on the best of days."

5. - Top - End - #335

Double Date

Cantata’s eyes widen a little as she realizes they’ve picked up on her reaction. She moves quickly to type a response - and in her haste, a bit of that almost subconscious focus to control her powers is broken for a minute couple of seconds.

The other three might feel a faint sense of insecurity, one tinged with anxiety and anger, seeping into the air before ebbing back to nothing over the course of a few heartbeats as she sends a simple reply of It’s fine.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2020-07-11 at 05:47 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #336

[Double Date]

Well Fettina knows what that is. She might be the only one at the table who is fully cognizant of Cantie's empathic abilities. She finally catches on.

"Kirk!" Fettina shoots him a glare. She points around the table. "Did you just call Cantie a random whim? Because the fact I'm tryin to introduce her to our dysfunctional little circle here ought to tell you she's not. She's my friend. Are you jealous or something? Is that why you're doing the cold aloof thing that you think makes you look cool?" Well to be fair she hasn't been spending as much time around MERC lately, but come on! And sometimes it does make him look cool, but this is not one of those times!
    Last edited by Murkus; 2020-07-17 at 04:58 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

The drow's brow furrows as he processes the unfamiliar influx of emotion. Now that is something. And now Fettina is assuming the worst. Can he still be offended if it's true?

"I thought we were just having fun taking jabs at each other, Tina." He holds his arms out to either side, completely open. "I didn't intend for Cantata to take any offence. Perhaps my wording was poor."

8. - Top - End - #338

[Double Date]

What was that?

Unbeknownst to Tina and Catata, Dena's earrings were actually enchanted to protect against all manners of mind control and mental influences and as little as mentally projected emotions made them activate.

The gorgon instinctively reached up to touch her ears and looks around in confusion as instead of insecurity, anxiety and anger she feels a small surge of heat from the earrings. Warning her that something had just attempted to influence her mind.

A quick glance at Kirk confirmed these suspicions, something was not right here. "...did you guys feel something just now?" She inquires, her tone low with suspicion as the argument they were having suddenly seemed a lot less important to her.

9. - Top - End - #339

Double Date

There wasn't exactly any buildup that could've lead to the topic, and you've been giving me veiled looks all night. Cantata retorts. Her eyes widen with a tinge of anxiety and embarrassment as she realizes that she failed to properly keep her emotions reined in from the way the table reacts, but is hesitant on how exactly to divulge it naturally.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2020-07-30 at 10:31 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

10. - Top - End - #340

[Double Date]

"You're being disingenuous, Kirk," says Tina, with a clear look of reproach. Her eyes are a little sad, too. She's disappointed in him. Or trying to make him feel bad. Maybe both? In any case, she misses Dena's question completely.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

"You could give me the benefit of the doubt, Tina. I completely understand Cantata misunderstanding me, that's my fault. But really this is unfair." Kirk attempts to deflect. She's sure defensive of this woman.

12. - Top - End - #342

Double Date

Dena falls silent, did no one else care? Apparently not more than about this discussion at least. Unless of course they had been made to not care by whatever just had happened.
    The whole thing had left her uncomfortable so she couldn't quite pay attention to the discussion. From what she could tell the two were still upset by Kirk so she guessed nothing had really changed.

There was nothing really odd going on around them from what she could tell so she couldn't spot the source either. "Seriously, guys. Someone or something just attempted to influence our minds. I don't want to be disrespectful but I think that takes priority." Dena decides to spell out, which coincidentally also spared her from taking a side in this discussion.

13. - Top - End - #343

Double Date

Cantata hardly tries to conceal the flash of irritation that Kirk’s reply brings, mouth starting to move as if she’d forgotten her muteness in the moment. Before she can repeat what she’s unable to speak through her keyboard, Dena draws her focus.

The woman shrinks a little in her seat, looking a little awkward and embarrassed as she types.

Wasn’t an attempt
    I’m an empath, sometimes when I get emotional things leak out
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #344

[Double Date]

Fettina seems to be busily deciding how best to crack Kirk's shell of feigned innocence when Dena speaks up. She'd begun to accept Cantie's empathic powers as a matter of course, not something she needed to explain to her friends. "Oh... yeah... she's... it's a whole thing. It's not a big deal, Dena."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

"That's what I was assuming. I've encountered at least one person with that ability quite a few years ago. It's a rare talent." Kirk observes. He doesn't mind the heat being turned down a little bit, that's for sure. Fettina was being rather persistent.

16. - Top - End - #346

[Double Date]

"If it wasn't such a big deal, why didn't you tell us?" Dena presses with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, it isn't but since I never got informed I was taken off guard." And no one in the group disliked to be taken off guard more than Dena.

17. - Top - End - #347

Double Date

Cantata blinks, taken aback. She didn’t quite expect the slight tinge of annoyance from Dena. It’s a not terribly surprising reaction though - few people are exactly stoked to learn that you could reach into their minds and screw with their emotions. It’s honestly the scarier potential of psychic powers out in the multiverse, considering how much they make us who we are.

I... didn’t think it would need to come up. This doesn’t usually happen.
    Hell, usually I’m affected in the inverse, honestly.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #348

[Double Date]

Well this whole thing could be going better. Fettina considers blaming Kirk or trying to help defend Cantie more, but thinks better of it. She didn't want to be too hard on Mr. Locke, and Cantata was a big girl. She settles back in her seat. "It's really fine, Cantata. No harm done. Right?" She smiles around the table. "I bet an ability like that is gonna be pretty useful at MERC."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

Kirk leans back in his seat. Dena can field this for another moment. Best he not reply to Fettina's comment anyway.

20. - Top - End - #350

[Double Date]

Dena's reply to Tina is curt. "Might be, yeah. Though all the more reason to tell me if you're gonna work with us." She waves her hand dismissively as if it ultimately wasn't a big deal. "Important information for your employers, y'know? Might earn you extra cash if you play your cards right and I have a feeling you're good at it." Her eyes fall back to Tina, not that she'd notice. "You're probably going to invite her to our next poker night, aren't you? 's long she ain't cheating of course."

21. - Top - End - #351

Double Date

Perhaps a little unexpectedly, Dena’s curt words seem to mostly amuse. It’s Certainly in my license and application, though I wouldn’t expect you to be reading up on those before something like this. A thought occurs, and a pantomimed little chuckle occurs again. besides, approving applications is probably the domain of someone lower down.

Cantata looks a tad puzzled as Dena addresses Fettina, only just one starting to catch on that there might be more significance to playing poker with the three of them than just a casual game between friends. Maybe it’s more like a longstanding tradition?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

22. - Top - End - #352

[Double Date]

"I dunno, Dena can get pretty low when she wants," says Fettina, leaning forward to prop her petite chin on her wrist. Her eyebrows rise a little bit, and she squeaks out a laugh. "I wasn't gonna without asking you guys. That seems kinda rude. But boy, it's a fun idea. What do you think, Kirk?" She swivels her head toward him almost mechanically.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

Kirk meets her eye and replies without hesitation. "Something tells me that Dena's not actually interested in adding Cantata to one of those poker games. She probably shouldn't tease." Though he addresses Dena, Kirk continues to watch Fettina.

24. - Top - End - #354

[Double Date]

By this point at least Kirk and Tina can tell Dena is rolling her eyes behind her sunglasses. "Guys, how many times have we played poker together and how many times have it been one of those games? The answer is once. One time. I meant our ordinary games."

Dena turns to Cantata. "Not the stripper [two ladies, one gentleman] variant." She reaches out and gently places her hand on Cantata's. "But sadly, whatever they might tell you, I don't really swing that way. Alas!" Her voice made up to be sorrowful.

25. - Top - End - #355

Double Date

Cantata's eyes light up in recognition as the exact meaning of "those" games is made clear, and she looks embarrassed that she did not catch on sooner. Her other hand moves to her chest as if her heart aches to hear such a tragedy, before moving to clasp Dena's hand and raise it up with a comically exaggerated look of "oh, you poor thing!"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #356

[Double Date]

"Oh! Well, then." Stare, stare, stare at Kirky. She doesn't even take the opportunity to joke about Dena's sexuality or the games themselves. "There shouldn't be any problem inviting Cantata over then. We'll make it a party."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

[Double Date]

Kirk simply shrugs. Seems she's not getting much more direct commentary out of him if she thinks she's going to catch him at something.

28. - Top - End - #358

[Double Date]

Dena chuckles and pulls back her hand. "A party, huh?" She remarks as she turns to Tina. "What kind of party is that gonna be with you all angel-ed up? More or less wild than usual?"

29. - Top - End - #359

Double Date

I've only known her angel-ed up and she's been plenty boisterous without alcohol. Cantata smiles, pulling Fettina close with a squeeze of an arm around her waist and giving her a fond grin.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #360

Double Date

Tina grins as she's hugged. "I'm just all kinds of trouble any way you look at it, huh? So what if I got my wings?" She takes a drink and finishes off her Black Shadow. "Oh! That reminds me... We wanted to invite you two to a little shindig Cantie and I are holding. Something really neat. We're doing it all fancy like, so you oughta get some fancy invitations in the mail. I had them made! With real paper and everything. God, who uses the mail any more?" Despite Fettina's general bouncing from subject to subject, there's an underlying air of mischief about it all.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters