New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Offline Character Builder and CB Loader

And Fantasy Grounds is a pretty high cost if you're just building monsters with it. If you use it as your game table, then fair enough. But expecting people to buy it for this is a stretch.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

As this thread has rolled over on to a new page...

Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    (snip) Just a reminder: Email me if you want the links. scrivenerofdoom is one word; gmail is the host.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

As this thread is about to roll over on to a new page...

(snip) Just a reminder: Email me if you want the links. scrivenerofdoom is one word; gmail is the host.
    I think I'm averaging three of these requests a week which means 150 a year. 4E still isn't dead!
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I don't know what is driving this, but I've been getting at least 2 requests each day for the past two weeks and they normally refer to this thread.

It's nice to see a small resurgence in interest in 4E and I cannot help but wonder what is driving it.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, one of the wikis with lots of 4e content erased bunches of it?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Well, one of the wikis with lots of 4e content erased bunches of it?
    Interesting. Nobody has mentioned that but perhaps simply doing it has made people wonder about 4E again? I have no idea.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Interesting. Nobody has mentioned that but perhaps simply doing it has made people wonder about 4E again? I have no idea.
    Just guesswork, but my hunch is that more and more people are achieving system mastery with 5e, and so looking at the other D&D systems out of curiosity and perhaps a desire for variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Just guesswork, but my hunch is that more and more people are achieving system mastery with 5e, and so looking at the other D&D systems out of curiosity and perhaps a desire for variety.
    Interesting hypothesis.

I've always wondered if we might see some interest again once 5E groups hit higher levels where the game does tend to break down.

I think I've sent out 30 sets of links in the past six weeks. That's a goodly number.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Interesting hypothesis.

I've always wondered if we might see some interest again once 5E groups hit higher levels where the game does tend to break down.

I think I've sent out 30 sets of links in the past six weeks. That's a goodly number.
    That's where I'm at. I've been trying to sell people who skipped 4e back to it and they've been cold until we started hitting mid levels. For me it's just about going back to having a lot of DM support and not needing to hack every monster into being "not boring."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Hears You View Post
    (snip) For me it's just about going back to having a lot of DM support and not needing to hack every monster into being "not boring."
    This is me.

Monsters are boring in 5E.

But it remains the most popular edition by far.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

That is why I did that work on converting 4e monsters to 5e. The first pass I wrote isn't as mechanical as I would like, and there are some errors.

There is no reason why you can't have a 5e characters fighting 4e Dragonshields and Skirmishers instead of generic 5e Kobolds.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    That is why I did that work on converting 4e monsters to 5e. The first pass I wrote isn't as mechanical as I would like, and there are some errors.

There is no reason why you can't have a 5e characters fighting 4e Dragonshields and Skirmishers instead of generic 5e Kobolds.
    Indeed. If you do the work, you can even make 1E monsters interesting in play.

I just find it strange that WotC decided to go backwards with monster design in 5E to the point where they are bags of hit points doing damage with the occasional spell, that you have to look up, thrown in. It seems like a backwards step: It's entirely quantitative.

However, 5E is the most popular edition so, clearly, the customers have spoken.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

My friends and are are looking into starting a 4e game, and the CBloader and builder seems the best option, but I can't seem to find all the part files from those old updates. Anyone know where to get the complete set? Including the essentials material?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jitur View Post
    My friends and are are looking into starting a 4e game, and the CBloader and builder seems the best option, but I can't seem to find all the part files from those old updates. Anyone know where to get the complete set? Including the essentials material?
    You should have the links now. I had been forgetting to check this site for PMs because it closed down for so long.

If anyone else needs links, just email me.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you for the files, Scrivener! I spent a few hours today to get everything up and running. Instructions were very clear and everything seems to be working. I don't really understand Masterplan yet or how to mass-import all of the monster files, so I'm now adding them folder by folder and that seems to be working.

The Character Builder works like a charm tho. I've never really used it before (always used the Online one) and I'm really enjoying that I can go against the rules of the game for houserule situations! That makes certain things a lot easier.

The thing that I do miss about the online builder is the layout of the character sheet. The default layout used by the offline one does it's job, but I really enjoyed the colors and format of the newer Online sheets. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the new layout in the old offline builder?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by UndertakerSheep View Post
    Thank you for the files, Scrivener! I spent a few hours today to get everything up and running. Instructions were very clear and everything seems to be working. I don't really understand Masterplan yet or how to mass-import all of the monster files, so I'm now adding them folder by folder and that seems to be working.

The Character Builder works like a charm tho. I've never really used it before (always used the Online one) and I'm really enjoying that I can go against the rules of the game for houserule situations! That makes certain things a lot easier.

The thing that I do miss about the online builder is the layout of the character sheet. The default layout used by the offline one does it's job, but I really enjoyed the colors and format of the newer Online sheets. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the new layout in the old offline builder?
    Glad I could help.

Actually, loading the monsters into Masterplan a folder at a time is the way to do it. You can do them all at once but there is a chance of crashing your computer.

You can make some adjustments to the layout of the character sheet - I convert all of mine to landscape rather than portrait, for example - but you can't duplicate what the former online tools created. Then again, with the offline tools, you can change the text of most fields on the sheets other than the powers and I find that tremendously useful, certainly more useful than simply being prettier.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

I've just caught up on all the PMs asking me for the offline tools.

If you still want them and you didn't PM me or find them another way, just email me - it's gmail dot com and my username is scrivenerofdoom.

I don't always sign in here so often miss my PMs but my gmail account comes up on all my devices and I do reply promptly.
    Sorry.
    i've tried to email you but i'm new at the forum...please email me if you still can help me with the CBloader

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by SeiL View Post
    Sorry.
    i've tried to email you but i'm new at the forum...please email me if you still can help me with the CBloader
    My email address is described in the post you quoted.

Anyway, I have PMed you the links.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

@ScrivenerofDoom

I sent you an email
    But I am too much anxious haha

I want the links to Character Builder and CB Loader very very please
    Just love 4e so much, best edition ever

Thanks a lot! :D

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

There still seems to be a fair bit of interest in the tools.

scrivenerofdoom
    at
    gmail
    dot
    com
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, ScrivenerofDoom, I tried emailing you about the offline builder. (I'm pretty sure I spelled the email address correctly?)

Did you happen to receive an email from a gmail address that happened to share my handle on these boards?
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I've just sent the links to you, Composer99. I don't know if I have received an email from you or not.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

23. - Top - End - #83

Er, if you've sent them by email, I should note that my gmail address isn't exactly identical to the forum handle. My apologies for being unclear.

It's:

Composer99is
    AT
    gmail
    DOT
    com
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

There still seems to be a fair bit of interest in the tools.

scrivenerofdoom
    at
    gmail
    dot
    com
    I've got the offline character builder and have been using it for years. It's really good, but I haven't got the offline monster builder. I didn't know there was one. I use a flash based online tool called Power2ool but I don't think the site is being looked after anymore:

https : //power2ool.com/login/ (link broken up so I can post here)

This with one click can make me a 4e monster template that looks like one from the books. I can level it up and down with ease and all the numbers are calculated for me. I use it to create NPC characters to fill in for players too.
    But I don't know how much longer it will be online for and that's what worries me. So if I could get a copy of the offline tools, I would appreciate it. I will send you an email soon to confirm. Thanks in advance.

Also regarding the offline builder. Mine doesn't have the all the content from the Book of Vile Darkness. The Helm of Seven Deaths item, especially and I was thinking of making my own .part file to patch it into the builder. Does your copy have this item?
    Last edited by knux; 2020-05-30 at 03:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Lads and mates, I finally learned enough computer speak to get this damn thing to run, and it is beautiful. I always preferred the old style of the offline version to the silverlight crap hole browser one. Much appreciated to all the hard work that went into this gem.

26. - Top - End - #86

Scrivener- Are you giving out the current version (1.45)? Because people shouldn't really be having installation problems at this point.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2020-06-22 at 01:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Scrivener- Are you giving out the current version (1.45)? Because people shouldn't really be having installation problems at this point.
    Nobody who has followed the instructions has had problems with installation.

My most common fix has been asking, "Did you follow the PDF with the instructions?"
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Bump

Bump

Bump
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

29. - Top - End - #89

Since you've just bumped the thread, reminding me that I was hoping to get hold of this tool, I've just tried re-sending an email to you!

(You should see one from Composer99is AT gmail DOT com)
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    Since you've just bumped the thread, reminding me that I was hoping to get hold of this tool, I've just tried re-sending an email to you!

(You should see one from Composer99is AT gmail DOT com)
    I've just sent them again. Last time was on 19May20.

If you don't get them this time, try emailing me.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom