1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Scooby Uluru Doo [IC]

DARKNESS FALLS ACROSS THE LAND
    SHADOWS BORN OF FATE'S MISCHIEF AND FORTUNE'S GAMBLE
    LIGHTS SPRING FORTH TO SET THE STAGE OF THE FUTURE
    AND DESTINY LAYS FORTH PATHS FOR UNSUSPECTING ACTORS

Join us now as we step beyond the veil of the possible and follow the tale of unlikely heroes in strange places

The early morning burns away the mists of the dark, a small reminder to those in bad times that the light always prevails in the end. But perhaps not so much a comfort to those who have to try and find work for a living. Julius Cruz knows this almost better than anyone else in the small, cramped inn room he wakes up in, having spent the last of his money on it in a desperate attempt to avoid being out in the night of a particularly thick mist. Without so much as a window, the thing that shocked him from sleep was the sound of rapping at the door, an almost frantic banging against the thin wood. "Hello? HELLO?! Mr. uh... Crude? Are you in there? I need your help!"

Breakfast was always nice in these out of the way places. At least, that was what Norville Rogers had always thought. They were small, sure, but the kind of people who usually ran these places made lots of yummy food for breakfast. And this was the case this morning too. Digging heartily into a plate of eggs, bacon, toast, real fresh butter, and a glass of milk that you're pretty sure came from the miltank this morning. It was really a shame that it was interrupted by a young woman walking into the common room, hurrying to the front desk and having a rushed conversation with the oldish man standing there before rushing off deeper into the inn. Banging and vague yelling follow shortly after, the innkeep shaking his head as he absently wipes the desk.

Connor Durham
    had been out the doors of the hostel as soon as the sun broke over the horizon. It was a reasonable guess that the ghosts of the mist wouldn't bother him while the sun was rising. Which was almost proven very wrong as a group of ghastly started chasing him down the road. It was a haphazard sunbeam that struck them and saved Connor from their early morning wrath as he kept running. Last night had been a bit of a blur after a few drink except for a particular rumor that had been spreading through the tavern. "The mansion on the edge of town, the abandoned one, not the other one, it's haunted by a ghost that doesn't vanish during the day. It drives off everyone that goes up there and it's been getting more and more violent. I heard that the sheriff was giving a big reward to anyone who could capture or banish it." Of course he was going to beat anyone else there.

Gerald Slate
    woke up in gloom. For such an old place, the shutters worked pretty well. The dust was killer, but the walls still mostly kept out the wind. It was a little odd that such a nice place was abandoned way out here, but it was a free place to sleep and when you were quite this poor, any sort of money saved was great. Besides, some of the looks he got from his metal arm were enough to make anyone uncomfortable enough to risk trying to stay out in the mists. Some light stretching and maybe it was time to explore this place some more. At least, check the traps you laid out last night maybe? Maybe you caught breakfast.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Scooby Uluru Doo [IC]

Stretching with the dawn, Gerald slowly gets up from the floor of the attic, first going to his arm to strap the damned thing in for the day, then for his hat on a bed stand. One that seems to be snoring.
    "Sparky, Squint, how'd you two sleep?"
    Lifting the hat, he gently takes it off the small joltik and the one eyed ekans that had joined him since he had hit the Basin, watching the two snore a bit longer before gently petting them. Sparky stirs first, leaning into the finger gently stroking her head before giving a happy little chirp and crawling up the flesh arm, Squint giving a happy "Ek! Ek!" as he stirs awake, slithering his way around Gerald's neck. As Sparky gives the machine arm some juice, letting the molded steel sputter to life as they move, Gerald carefully makes his way out of the room, pistol ready and waiting to see if breakfast was waiting to be put down below.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Norville gave a contented sigh as he finished another stacked plate, a happy yip from Baskerville beneath the table telling him that the Rockruff shared his sentiments. ah, if there where any sweeter words out there than 'all you can eat', the vet-turned-sleuth had yet to find them.

He watched with a quirked eyebrow as the young lady rushed in, his interest further piqued when the banging followed. He took a moment debating between sticking his nose in or grabbing another serving, but in the end curiosity got the better of him, and besides, after such a god meal, he should see if he can help in any way. Standing up, he tipped the remaining leftovers down to Baskerville, the rock dog pokemon giving a happy bark as he devoured every scrap, far less interested in the ongoings than his trainer.

"Like, pardon me, but I couldn't help but overhear your little kerfuffle. May be sticking my nose in, but that normal round these parts? anyway I can lend a hand, as a 'little thank' you for the meal?" Norville asked with a relaxed smile as he got to the counter, talking slowly and taking a moment to stretch "my compliments to the chef, by the way. like, I haven't had such a good meal in weeks"
    Last edited by Beige; 2017-11-09 at 11:01 PM.
    "This aint no game, Time to make history, yeah"

got a second to spare? maybe check out a few sketches

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Julius is understandably slow to make his way out of bed in the morning. It wasn't often that he slept in a real bed, and anything that disturbed him from that wasn't exactly welcome. For a moment Julius is conflicted as the warm sheets and soft mattress try to softly coax him back to sleep, but in the end the incessant knocking and the fact that he really needed a job forced him to slowly work his way out of bed.

He wasn't too quick about it; taking a few minutes to put some pants on and apply his trademark eyeliner, before finally making his way to the door.

Can I help you? Julius asks, trying to keep his voice as emotionless as possible. And it's Cruz, damn it. Don't know how many times I have to correct you in-credibly kind people, Julius says, catching himself before he scares another customer away with insults.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Connor stood hunched over in an alleyway, wheezing and catching his breath. Arceus wheeze Judged! wheeze GHOSTS! Chasing me around like that. He straightened up and eyeballed the empty street. After breathing a sigh of relief that his flight was unnoticed, he strode confidently back onto the street. Well, screw 'em. I'll catch that stupid thing in that mansion or whatever. That'll teach 'em.
    His pace quickened into a half-run, half-trot heading towards the mansion he overheard the night before. This lasted for about 2 minutes before he slowed down clutching his head. Ugh. I shouldn't drink so much.
    He limped forwards, nursing his growing hangover.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Gerald walked through the creaky old house, pistol drawn and a the ready. On the top floor, he discovered... a bunch of sprung traps with the rest empty. Not uncommon, but still not super great. Going from room to room, the dust seemed only disturbed by the skitterings of the pokemon that dwell in old abandoned places. He hoped this place didn't have a ghost problem. Ghosts were nasty at the best of times. But frankly it seemed like you'd have to go check the second floor traps for anything. No breakfast was found up here.

The man looked at Norville. "Ah, no that was Miss Sarah. T'weren't no argument between the two of us. She's looking for someone who came in last night. Some scruffy stranger out in the mists an hour after dark! I have to say even I've heard rumor of someone like that, but I figured he'd stay somewhere a bit better. Not that my inn doesn't have its charms but a famous exorcist these days should be staying in the middle of town in a room as big as my whole inn." The man grumbled about the extravagance of the upper crusts surely exaggerating some things he had to say about their mothers and certain large pokemon breeds, before blushing a bit and clearing his throat. "I uh... I'll be sure to tell the wife your complements. Too many people these days take a good meal for granted." He busies himself around the bar more for show than any real cleaning, the place was pretty damn clean. "She should be coming back up in a bit I think, if you're really interested in talking with her." He gestures vaguely down the halls.

At the door to Julius' room is a young woman, maybe early twenties or late teens, who's obviously been crying steps back at the sudden crassness. "I'm sorry... It's my uncle. He went to the old Doolan Mansion on the outskirts of town last night and he never came back! I'm worried the Ghost of the mansion might have done something to him! IT's been... a lot more active lately and... what if it got him... I'm not sure my mother could handle that again." She seems on the verge of tears again. "I... don't have a lot of money but I could pay you if you go bring my uncle back... Would you please?!"

The rest of the jog to the mansion is uneventful, aside from some startled buneary in a set of bushes. The mansion itself is... sprawling seems too small a word for the massive structure that lay before you. It was like a military base and a small village had a child that was once gilded on every surface. Connor was no historian, but even he had to guess that this was a structure from near the start of the Basin. When the oldest money first took root. No idea why it was abandoned now though. The door was slighty ajar though, so that was one thing not to worry about.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Gerald gives a sigh at the fruitless floor, knowing full well that any critters here would have scampered into hiding after the traps were sprung. With the caution of a man risking the first honest meal in days on the matter, he moves towards the second floor, pokemon alert. But hopefully there were no ghosts, too. Bastards never had the decency to be made of something edible.

(3d6)[10] - sneakiness!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Only a night? Julius says, carefully rubbing the sleep from his eyes while avoiding smearing his eyeliner. That's a pretty short period to worry, isn't it? he says, before his money-making senses get the better of him. He rolls his head from side to side, then tries to find something to write with.

Alright miss whoever-you-are, tell me everything you know. When did your uncle leave, why was he going to the estate, everything. And hell, any rumors you've heard about the Doolan estate. Anything you think might help me find your uncle, really, he says, preparing to jot things down as quickly as possible.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Connor trotted up the drive of the estate with ease. He kicked the door open and strode in like he owned the place. He looked around the interior, suddenly lost at what to do. Uh.... hello!? He hollered into the empty mansion. He shook his head. Why would anyone be home? This place is supposed to be abandoned. He spun and meandered off towards the right, having no real direction to go.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGirl

"A lady in distrest, an excorcist and a mysterious figure, you say? interesting - now that is just down my alley. Guess its time to get stick my nose in again..." Norvilla replied with an easy smile, picking up his pack and coat from the table, deciding to follow the girl before stopping for a second "unless she said there where ghost. no ghosts, right?"
    Last edited by Beige; 2017-11-19 at 06:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The woman looked at Julius like he was more than a little rude and hadn't listened to what she'd said, but she explains. "My uncle went to the mansion mid-afternoon yesterday, but he didn't come back before dark like he said he would. The Mansion and its grounds are haunted by a Ghost that used to cause a lot of havoc but no one's really heard out of it in... decades, really, if the stories are to be believed. My uncle is a carpenter. He was doing research and I guess he assumed if he could be sure the Ghost was gone, he could fix it up and sell it. But he shouldn't have stayed the night. What if that mist last night riled up the Ghost! It started before it was even dark out! I've never even heard of the mist starting before the sun was down before."

The innkeep gives Norville a look. "Well... Her uncle went up to the haunted mansion on the outskirts of town last night... I'd say there's a pretty good chance of Ghosts young man." He gives another appraising look. "I'm sure you'd be ah... better suited not to get involved in such things. It doesn't seem your cup of tea, as the phrase goes. Ah, er, if you don't mind the opinion of a humble innkeeper that is."

The third floor doesn't yield much for Gerald either. In one room with a hole in the corner leading outside, there is the remnants of a rather large rattata that had gotten caught by a trap, but it seems like something got to it before he did. He must have slept like a log up in the attic. Suddenly from below, there is a dulled thump and a muffled voice. Local police maybe?

Immediately inside is the spacious welcoming hall of the vast manorhouse. Almost impossibly large really, who needed all this space just to receive people? Connor would have to guess in the old days, the rich were even richer than they are now, which seems a feat indeed to a man living day to day on scraps. Going right yields... well, first it yields a library? Old, only partly moldering books covered the walls, nearly forty feet into the air. He had to wonder how much this alone must have cost. Or how much it might be worth to the right buyer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't happen often, Julius says, leaving the doorway to start packing up his equipment. After affixing a few daggers to his body and grabbing a dirty rucksack, Julius makes his way back to the doorway.

I'll help you out, little miss, but we need to figure out exactly how much coin you've got before I do. Man's got to eat, you know, Julius says, almost scowling as he attempts to keep a straight face. While he wouldn't admit it, just about any amount of coin would be enough to get him to take this job. He really needed a payday.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

He curses slightly at the bad luck with the rattata, checking to see if there was even enough left for one of his Mon, which there unfortunately isn't. But it did invite other options, as clearly something predatory called this place home.

However, before he can plan that hunt or seek clues, the noises downstairs alert him and his mon to company, getting a startled hop from Sparky and Squint. Gun staying damn well firmly in his hand in case it was bad company, he decides to find out what sort of welcome this town was about to offer.
    (3d6)[13]-sneakiness!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Connor stood in the doorframe somewhat dumbfounded. He was never much one for reading but he knew a book when he saw one. And he saw lots. It struck him dumb that there was so many books in one place. That there was enough different books to fill the shelves. He moved into the room and pulled a book off the shelf. He flipped it open and quickly skimmed it. And then tossed it, finding no pictures inside. He repeated this several times moving down the shelf. In no time, there was a trail of discarded books leading from the entrance to where he currently stood.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGirl

Ghosts. always Ghosts... Well, that put a combee in his bootstraps but... it had been a while and his supplies where dwindling - if he set off now, with what he had, he might have to miss supper, or brunch, or 2nd lunch. Just remember, he said to himself, there's no such thing as the supernatural, just pokemon and people up to tricks. no such thing as spooks. WIth that in mind, he grabbed his things and headed down the hallway, following the lady, giving a cheery goodbye to the inkeep.

"Pardon me" Norville said as he got to where the lady and the exorcist where talking, scooping his hat of his head as he took in the two of them; the exorcist was a right scary sort, and the lady was clearly in distress "Sorry, to butt in, but I overheard your predicament, and if you don't mind me saying so, I reckon I can lend you two a hand. The names Norville Rogers, p..paranormal investigator."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    sorry sorry sorry. I was sure I'd posted this

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

CURTAINS RISE FROM BREAKS FORTOLD
    RETURN US NOW AS THE STORY UNFOLDS

The woman, who still hadn't declared her name or her uncles to Julius' awareness, hmm'd and haw'd for a moment. "I... if you can save my uncle, I'll empty out my savings. It's not much but... is 50 gold enough?" She absently plays with a strand of her hair out of anxiety. But suddenly a gangly man with shaggy unkempt hair and a rather... well he as dirty as Julius really, stepped up an introduced himself as a paranormal investigator. She looks between Julius and Norville and got a vaguely confused and concerned expression. "Wait are you not the person I was looking for?" It looked like maybe she was thinking that her not remembering Julius' name earlier was less of a mistake and more of not having the right person at all.

WAS THIS NEW MAN TRYING TO STEAL JULIUS' PAYDAY?

Connor is infinitely distracted by the utter lack of pictures in these surprisingly well kept books. There was just way too many words to try and go through without any illustration. It was maddening! It was insane! It was... frankly really boring. And so far pulling the books had not managed to open up any secret passages to treasure or anything so this was as a waste of time, if an mildly interesting one. But even as he tossed another book over his shoulder and grabbed another in a search for something interesting, he felt strangely compelled to keep looking.

Gerald easily hears the semi-rhythmic thumping coming off the side of the entrance hall, coming down from the upper floors. It seemed like someone was throwing stuff around? Or maybe... it was a struggle! That could be a fight happening. A very... quiet fight. It could be a strangling. Whatever it was, he crept around the corner to look into the side room and saw a man flipping randomly through books and then throwing them over his shoulder.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Gerald taps Sparky lightly, pointing up to the shelves above Connor, shooing her away to get into position to strike. Then, he slowly creeps up on the man engrossed in the books, hopefully to let the feeling of cold steel and the sound of a hammer being drawn be his introduction.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Even as Gerald creeps up on the reader, Sparky spots something. She shrieks keenly from above the reader before spitting a web coursing with electric energy at...a candle, Gerald likely observes as he spins and pulls the hammer back.
    (1d20+3)[5] - Electroweb, Accuracy 3 +sp. def evasion at moving candle
    (2d8+27)[34]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Look girlie, if you want a problem with a ghost dealt with, you come to me. If you want it 'investigated', Julius says, making a show of doing air quotes as he says it, then I suppose this limp dishrag will be just fine. As he says it, Julius stares daggers at the new man. He didn't particularly like somebody butting in on his conversation, and especially didn't like competition in his field.

50 gold will have to do, Julius says, not particularly feeling the need to state that was more than his services were usually worth. I'll be back by the end of the day tomorrow, he adds, before walking into his room, collecting his small knapsack, and attempting to leave, making a point into bumping into the rude interloper.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGirl

'Well, you certainly put your foot in your mouth this time, Norville' the investigator thought to himself, having walked in the middle of a conversation, and from the look the other man was giving him, it might end poorly

“Oh no, nothing like that Madam, I was just passing by and...” He began to explain, only to have the excorcist cut him off, then bump into him as he stormed off, causing Norville to stumble

“Charming fellow, isn't he?” Norville asked, a touch drly but still cheerful as he picked up his fallen hat, dusting it off before smiling towards the lady “lets, like, hope his skill's as good as his words for the sake of your... uncle, was it? Still, more hands always helps, and I have my pride to protect..."

“Odd question, you wouldn't happen to have something that belonged to the missing person – like a momento or something, something he might have had on him recently? It might help me, like, get a view of the situation if you know what I mean” Norville asked with a relaxed smile

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm attempt to get Sarah's faith/reassure her a little: (4d6)[17]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The girl looks over at Norville, blinking slowly at the question. "Um... no, I don't. Do... people normally carry momentos of their uncles around where you are from, sir?" She didn't seem put off, more honestly curious at the question, having been set more at ease than the brusque Julius and his gruff demeanor. She stands awkwardly in the hallway now that Julius had left and after a moment makes a small, throat clearing cough. "I uh, need to go tell my mother that I got Mr. Cruz to go look for my uncle. If you really want to follow him, the mansion is... well if you came to town any way but underground you had to have seen it!" She gives Norville a small smile before pushing past him in a bit of a rush.

In the shadows of her face, hidden from world now, the smile was not happy, but cruel and smug.

Julius makes his way to the mansion, mostly unimpeded. It was still very early and frankly, no one was up yet. The few people up at this hour were bakers, and maybe a workshop. There wasn't really any business in town at this point, but he did get the feeling if he looked around he'd be able to scrounge up a little work before heading out, if he wanted to.

Gerald is understandably shocked when first, the man throwing books around bursts into flames, while the tiny Sparky suddenly blasted a table with an electrically charged web. The flames flare brightly in the dimness of the library, blinding Gerald briefly before puttering out. The man with the books is gone, leaving only a scorch mark on the floor and the surrounding bookcases. The table though, is somehow even less sensible than a vanishing man as it starts screaming in pain, revealing the small, blue flame candle to be a ghost. With a flash of rage, it vomits forth a fog of purple mist, striking Gerald and Sparky and leaving them feeling both worse for wear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Litwick used Smog! Gerald and Sparky take 23 Poison Special damage and are Poisoned!

Spoiler: DC 10 Perception
    Show
    Gerald hears a click just as the flames start up and a second click just before they end
    Last edited by Jacior; 2018-02-08 at 09:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

With a sharp snarl, Gerald tears his arm to the side, causing the beast to flinch away, then reverses momentum down as it goes to strike again.
    Feint Attack - Does Not Miss, (1d20)[3] - in case of crit, Dark damage
    (2d6+18)[22] - Damage
    Hp: 32/55, poisoned (took the damage)
    Then Squint, who had been coiled upon it, hisses because stupid candle hurt Pa and Sis. So Squint decides this is a good time to bite down on it and chew.
    (1d20)[16] - Bite, 2+Defense, flinch on 15+
    (2d6+21)[25] - dark damage
    HP: 40/47
    Sparky coughs a bit.
    HP: 35/55, poisoned

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGirl

Taking his hat, with Baskerville at his heels, Norville headed towards the mansion, musing on the conversation with the lady. Getting a feel for the missing person would've been nice, but he'd just have to work with what his own two eyes could show him

Spoiler
    Show
    Intuition to see if Norville got a hint of the sinisterness: (3d6)[12]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Julius scowls as he makes his way through the town. The fact that he was up before anybody else in this town was a damn tragedy. While he could probably pick up a job on the way to the mansion, there was something to be said for getting that bag of gold in his hands as soon as possible.

Without wasting any more time, Julius makes his way forward.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The ghost faded quickly, driven back to whatever place holds ghosts before they break through, leaving Gerald standing in the library with poison coursing through his veins and presumably a lot more questions than answers. Like... well... could ghosts live during the day? Even inside? Didn't they need the mists? Or... where did that guy vanish to and what was that clicking noise. What... was he going to do next?!

Julius
    trudges up to the vast compound of the Doolan Mansion, the light of the day shining brighter as the sun's rising rays bathed the land. It wasn't a terrible hike, maybe 20 minutes, half an hour out of town. But it was amazingly large, just looking at the sprawling layout. There were entire separate buildings and vast lawns... Where to start? Well, there was an open front door on what he'd guess was the main house. Maybe there?

Norville follows behind Julius, presumably staying behind him and out of lashing out distance.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Right now, Gerald grit his teeth as the toxins burnt in his blood, and the blood of Sparky. He returns his joltik to her ball before stumbling out of the building, acrid smoke choking his lungs and still coming up in puffs as Squint called for help as loud as he could, almost like a dog barking to call assistance to a foe.
    "Ek ek! Ek ek! Ekaaaaans!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

This definitely isn't a trap, Julius mutters under his breath, before releasing Chayot by his side. The Scraggy tumbles out of the Pokeball, rolling for a feet feet before coming to a stop, jumping to its feet, and adjusting its pants.

Eyes up buddy, Julius says, making sure that his magical eyeliner was impeccable. Open front door can't mean anything good.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGirl

"Well, that is certainly ominous, wouldn't you agree Baskerville?" Norvile asked his partner casually, hanging back and taking in the vast building, but not taking much effort to stay out of sight. The investigator reached into his pack and pulled out Kicker's pokeball, recalling Baskerville as he did

"So, pal, think you can spot anything suspicious? I don't think they left the front door open for us out of hospitality, but lets see if they laid out the welcome mat" he asked the Ledian as it popped out of the ball energetically, even as he pulled his hat down and headed for the door

Spoiler
    Show
    perception to look for other ways in:
    Norville (3d6)[5]
    Kicker (3d6)[7]
    Last edited by Beige; 2018-02-20 at 06:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Julius and Norville see a purplish, misty fog start falling from the open doorway as the loud sounds of thumping strike out against old wood. Around the corner comes an almost human figure, belching the fog from its skin and hissing like an angry ekans. A second head grows from one of its arms, small and misshappen as the larger head coughs.

Gerald is a little too blinded by smog right now to really have any idea what's going on.

Spoiler: Perception 6
    Show
    Oh wait, that monster is a guy and his pokemon covered in smoke. Weird that it looked so much like a monster

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Gerald, blinded by the noxious smog as he is, staggers directly towards Julius as he can't tell direction, Squint still hiss-barking to help his friends. Any time he opens his mouth spits out more of the acrid smoke that burns his eyes and lungs, and he reaches to steady himself with the clawed abomination that is his prosthetic towards Julius.