New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Feats for Paladins

As the thread title suggest, I'm looking for feat ideas for a paladin, using The How-It-Should-Be Paladin, v2.0, by Fax Celestis. I'm supposed to be making a fronliner because everyone else already has their stuff picked out.
    His stats are
    Str 14
    Dex 7
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 13*
    Cha 14*
    *These were technically 11, but my DM gave me 5 points to spread among them in any way I liked.

Though I am mainly concerned with feats, if you have any suggestions towards switching abilities around, or even switching classes, speak up.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-08-24 at 07:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Feats for Paladins

Well, let me start by saying - Ow. Those stats kinda hurt.

And, I'm not too sure on Fax's paladin, but I know Complete Champion has some awesome feats for the PHB Paladin, which really knock it up a notch (like automatically quickening all Paladin spells). I don't know if they'd be compatable with Fax's though.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you need feats as a paladin, try getting some feats that boost your combat power. Power attack (And later, Cleave and Great Cleave) Are good choices, as are Weapon Specialization so you can get +1 to attacks as it appears your level 1.

I would switch Wis and Dex, cause as a frontliner, you need Dex unless your wearing full plate. Cha is good, as its your casting and AC stat.

Also, keep at least 1 healing potion on you at all times. You'll need it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see.

I'd recommend dropping those points out of Cha and putting them into Wis, and taking the Serenity feat. That should help somewhat. Also, the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion should help somewhat.

Further, I'd recommend Power Attack, simply for it's utility--and it's power increases if you take the right Mantles. After all, some of them add to your Attack Bonus, which'll let you PA for that much more.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korias View Post
    If you need feats as a paladin, try getting some feats that boost your combat power. Power attack (And later, Cleave and Great Cleave) Are good choices, as are Weapon Specialization so you can get +1 to attacks as it appears your level 1.

I would switch Wis and Dex, cause as a frontliner, you need Dex unless your wearing full plate. Cha is good, as its your casting and AC stat.
    Yep, level 1. And The thing is I want to be able to cast spells, and with a 7 in the casting stat I definatly can't do it. I was thinking about power attack, but I really couldn't think of anything else( and do you mean weapon focus, because specialization is fighter only).
    Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Well, let me start by saying - Ow. Those stats kinda hurt.

And, I'm not too sure on Fax's paladin, but I know Complete Champion has some awesome feats for the PHB Paladin, which really knock it up a notch (like automatically quickening all Paladin spells). I don't know if they'd be compatable with Fax's though.
    And thats using 4d6, best 3. If you total everything up before the boosted 5 points, I had less than the elite array. And I don't have the Complete Champion. I think it would be compatable, though, because you can pretty much make your normal paladin with Fax's version,m it just gets a couple of extra things.

Edit: That's a great feat. Thank you, Fax Celestis. I'll most likely switch dex and Cha, if I can take it.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2007-08-24 at 05:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You're probably going to need Improved Initiative to make up for your dexterity, unless you can get it up to 10.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

For Improved Initiative, just buy lots of potions of Heroics (SpC).

Alrighty, well, basically, play it as a charging fighter, and take Charging Smite from PHB2.

Here's my (feat) build:

1 Power Attack
    H Cleave (if you're not human, don't take this feat)
    3 Improved Bull Rush
    6 Shock Trooper (CWar)
    9 Battle Blessing (CCha)
    12 Divine Might (CWar)
    15 Leap Attack (CAdv)
    18 Cometary Collision (PHB2)

Make sure to read the Spell Compendium for awesome spells, such as Rhino's Rush (swift action, you do double damage on 1 charge).

To make it even more charge damage, you can go Raptoran or Dragonborn and dive with a Glaive.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Oops, I didn't notice that you're not using the base paladin - I'm too lazy to read any fix, as paladin is no where near as weak as everyone says (everyone thinks melee is weaker than it is), so hopefully all this carries over.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing View Post
    Oops, I didn't notice that you're not using the base paladin - I'm too lazy to read any fix, as paladin is no where near as weak as everyone says (everyone thinks melee is weaker than it is), so hopefully all this carries over.
    It does. The main difference in the HiSB Paladin is that it has an evolving code of conduct, with associated benefits.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about Sacred Healing from CDiv? That lets you convert turn attempts into fast healing 3.

EDIT: Of course, you can't have it until level 5 - it requires 8 ranks in Heal.
    Last edited by Xaros; 2007-08-24 at 06:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If I switch around Dex, Cha, and Wisdom, would combat reflexes followed by Stand Still to provide control be a good idea?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    If I switch around Dex, Cha, and Wisdom, would combat reflexes followed by Stand Still to provide control be a good idea?
    Only if you get reach somehow.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I always did like glaives...

Oh, and should serenity apply to mantels too?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    I always did like glaives...

Oh, and should serenity apply to mantels too?
    It should, yes.