New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The messengers

You spent the night peacefully, an in the morning you gathered around the militia quarter to take your supplies.

A militia officer, Grathuld of Sidlington greets you, and accompanies you to their store. You are free to get a backpack, blanket, torch, waterskin, and trail rations if you need any of them.

Also, Grathuld goes back to a locked room, and brings forth a sack, packed with potions.

Two fer each of ye, but let's hope ye won't need any. I'm sorry we can't afford to give ye more, we're runnin' outta supplies already.

He gives you the pack, with fourteen magic potions, glowing in dim amber colour. Most of you have seen such a potion, and easily reckognize it's nature. These potions are Cure light wounds potions. After you supplied yourselves, you are ready to go.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2007-08-28 at 04:44 AM.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Having dourly bade farewell to his horse and unloaded all his equipment in the morning, Dagg takes the blanket, extra waterskin, potions and 3 trail rations. He is again surprised at the habits of the townsfolk, in that they gave the party such a luxury as healing potions.

Looking with some eagerness at the road that the party is to travel along, he asks Grathuld, "Should we expect any trouble on the road?"
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin, bedecked in blue body paint, seems anxious to get moving. "Th' sun's been up fer too long a'reddy. Ahr thanks fer th' s'plies, an' Ah hope we don' need 'em, either, boot it's best ta be reddy, nae?" Ozz carries his longbow in hand, but doesn't seem able to stand still, as he keeps shifting from bare foot to bare foot. He takes two potions and stuffs them into his belt pouch.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-08-28 at 10:12 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lorrick

If there weren't trouble on the road, they wouldn't be sending seven of us.

Lorrick looks over the supplies, takes the two potions, tucking them into a pocket in his shirt, under his studded leather armor but within easy reach.

As for the rest of the supplies, Lorrick seems to favor his own collected supplies over the ones supplied by the militia, but he takes 3 more days worth of food.

Lorrick then looks at Ozz with his face twisted strangely.

If he said we should make the most of the daylight, I agree.
    Last edited by mdsoze; 2007-08-28 at 10:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Eammon

Eammon greets his fellow messengers warmly as each shows up.

He takes an opportune moment to say, "Upon my word Kaz, it was truly impressive, the way you talked to the Captain. May I inquire how you did it?"

He is bemused by Ozz, "And a fine morning it is my good Goblin sir. Is blue the fashion of clan Stoo-art then?"

And he takes two vials from Grathuld and expresses to him that he should convey his sincerest thanks to the Captain.

When they set off he keeps to the party order agreed to making pleasureable conversation if anyone wants to but generally content to listen and let others to the talking especially if its Daffyd doing the talking.

(( OOC: Gimli Fett suggested Ozz first, probably at least 30 feet ahead of the group, with the Lorrick and his higher movement rate ranging around the flanks. Dagg at the back as rear-guard. Behind Ozz: Dafydd, Kaz, Eammon and Cannol. And the raven familiar scouting from the air. ))

If anyone notices the raven which seemingly follows or leads them (or if Ozz frightens the bird by taking aim at it though it flies high enough to make it a hard shot), he explains, "The raven is a bird I befriended long ago with offers of food and shiny things. I daresay you will find him smarter than the average bird. He'll warn us if he sees anything from the air."
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-28 at 01:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

At Lorrick's comment, a wide grin spreads across Dagg's face. He walks along the road, occasionally bursting out in song.

"Gonna kill some giants tonight, gonna kill some giants tonight,
    Chop off their heads, make 'em see the light,
    O, I'm gonna kill me some giants tonight."
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz tilts his head as he looks at Eammon quizzically. "Wot? Och, tha woad! Heh!" the goblin chuckles. "Nae, lad. Tha's jus' ta lessen tha effecks o' sun on skin, nae? So's tha prey don' know ya are wot ya are, nae?" He chuckles some more to himself as he turns to make sure everyone is ready, then calls out to them. "Ahr we reddy ta goo? Ah'll take tha lead, if'n we're set."

8. - Top - End - #38

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz smiles and thanks the guard as he takes a waterskin, bedroll, a few days rations, and slides two potions onto his belt. Good thing I left the rope at home. I doubt I'll need it, and I'm almost fully loaded up as is.

"Alright!" He says brightly. "I'm all set. If everyone's ready, let's head out. Turning to Eammon, Kaz shrugs. "The captain is an old friend of my father. I've known him for so long that I've really just started talking to him as though he was an uncle or something. Kaz moves over to the road and sits down, waiting for the rest of the group to finish up. He plucks randomly at his bowstring while he waits, trying to make sounds in tune to Dagg's song.
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-08-28 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling mistake

9. - Top - End - #39

Dafydd

Dafydd grins broadly as they set out. "A right company of musicians we are." Dafydd gently shoves the goblin forward to his place at the lead and motions for the others to follow. As they travel, he keeps his eyes and ears on the road but continues to chat up the other party members, opting between respectful and mocking as appropriate, trying to get them to speak of themselves and their almost certainly interesting stories.

"...and when the high priest finally found the antelope, it had eaten a hole right through his mitre! His laughter dies down. "I truly am a paladin, I assure you all. This mission, I feel, has been appointed to me by the elven goddess herself, to bring the elves to join the fight as they ought.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin looks over his shoulder at the elven paladin. "Ah don' ken mooch aboot tha gawds, boot Ah ken this is tha right thin' ta be doin', 'fore them bast'rds o'errun us all." Ozz emphasizes his point by spitting off the path, then turns and continues leading the Messengers towards their destiny.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-08-29 at 12:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

You are undisturbed on your way, and make a steady progress towards the small vilalge called Gleans. As Cannol guessed, a light rain begun to fall in the afternoon, and lasted till the early evening. At the second half of the day, you reach the edge of a small forest. It's not a part of the elf woods, only a change of scenery in the human lands. A light fog obscures your view, you can barely see thirty feet away, and Ozz often dissapears from the sight of the rest of the group.

Suddenly, the raven returns, and seems to be nervous as it dives down, and settles on his master's shoulder.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg turns back from watching the road behind the group in and watches the bird dive with some concern. What's the matter with your bird," blast, what was it... ah yes! "Eammon? Anything good up ahead?"

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz sees the bird coming down and wonders what it could mean. This could be anything from it's tired of the fog and can't see to a scout party coming after us. Kaz draws his bow but does not nock an arrow yet. If it's a friendly I won't want to scare them off. "Eammon, is your bird alright? Did it see anything?" He turns to the front of the group again. Now how to alert Ozz without yelling...

14. - Top - End - #44

Eammon

When the raven approaches, Eammon speaks only loud enough for those near him, (Daffyd, Dagg, Kaz, and Cannol), "Be on guard. The raven would not act so if he had not seen something."

When the bird alights on his shoulder, he asks it reassuringly in plain common, "What is wrong Branduh, dear friend? Do you know what's become of Master goblin or the ranger?"

As he confers with the bird, Eammon calmly prepares his bow. But inwardly his mind races to cast any magics that might be needed.

(( OOC: The raven can speak Common and has Int 6. But the DM can play the raven as he likes. He might want to speak to the group or only to me or not at all.

The raven is also supposed to be the spirit of one of Eammon's ancient elven ancestors but at 1st level and with an Int of 6, the birds is not fully aware of his past...yet. And the DM can retcon this if he likes too.

And here are my roll for Initiative, Listen and Spot (the latter at +2 from alertness granted by raven) if needed:

Initiative: [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    Listen: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Spot: [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

Hmmm...dice roller not working in-thread? Will try OOC...))
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-29 at 04:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Dafydd

Dafydd, seemingly ignorant of his party's intention to keep quiet, draws his sword, stands erect and shouts into the forest, "If any can hear me, show yourself and state your business plainly!" If some conflict was unavoidable, perhaps he could at least draw fire to himself rather than his companions.
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-08-29 at 05:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Lorrick

When Lorrick hears Daffyd's shouts, he shakes his head, and then does his best to blend in to the trees. In case there is trouble, he'd prefer to take the attackers by surprise.

Spot :(1d20+7)[19]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[20]
    Hide: (1d20+4)[23]

17. - Top - End - #47

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz looks at the paladin in disbelief as he shouts, but quickly regains his composure. He nocks an arrow to his bow, quietly moves into the tree line opposite Lorrick, and surveys his surroundings, preparing for anything.

(ooc- not really sure what's needed so I'll give initiative, spot, listen and hide.)

Initiative-(d20+7)[26]
    Spot-(d20+9)[11]
    Listen-(d20+9)[21]
    Hide-(d20+8)[21]

18. - Top - End - #48

Eammon

Eammon hears the paladin shout and thinks, "Daffyd is a knight and a true elf."

Anyway, my rolls in here in OOC were

Initiative: (1d20+2)[3]
    Listen: (1d20+5)[22]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[8]

Eammon used up a move action prepping the bow but will stay put waiting for the raven's response. On the next round he'll move to stand about 10 feet to the side of Daffyd and whispers in elven, "If a number charge us, stand not in front of me so I may enspell them at once."
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-29 at 10:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Nobody answers Dafydd's call, and the almost total silence may start making some of you nervous. You get the feeling as you were observed, and sometimes you could swear you've seen something in the thick fog, but before you could take another look, it's gone. Perhaps only the fog's playing tricks with you.

Eammon's familiar sits on his master's shoulder.

It cows a few times, and then speaks aloud in a brazen, barely reckognizable elven. "Empty wagon ahead is, master."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Drawing both axes, Dagg moves up next to Daffyd and Eammon, not bothering to hide. He peers ahead, trying to see the wagon for himself, and says, "So, what, should we check it out? Or continue on our way? Who knows, maybe something attacked this wagon and we can get some good loot. Then again, we may be held up for too long... I say fight, if we have a choice."

21. - Top - End - #51

Dafydd

Dafydd released the breath he was holding in, letting a small chuckle escape as well. All that fuss over an empty wagon! "Certainly we can check it out. There may be someone in need of assistance nearby. Be sure to stay on guard, though, in case trouble arises." He looses his shield and holds it at ready, then begins to advance forward toward the direction the raven indicated.

22. - Top - End - #52

Lorrick

Lorrick follows the paladin, but winds through the trees, staying hidden as best he can.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

At Dafydd's challenge, Ozz secures himself in some thick brush, hiding and seeking out the source of the elf paladin's concern. He waits seeking some sign until he can see the group approaching his position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+12)[21]
    Search: (1d20+7)[27]
    Spot: (1d20+7)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[20]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg moves back to the rear, with his axes at the ready, and tries to spot any enemies that may be approaching from behind or above.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+2)[16]
    Listen - (1d20+2)[8]

25. - Top - End - #55

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz keeps in the tree line and follows a few feet behind Dafydd. I wonder what happened with this wagon? At any rate, maybe we could use it in some way.

26. - Top - End - #56

Eammon

After teh raven speaks, Eammon translates for those that might not know elven, "It seems there is an empty wagon ahead."

He nods in agreement at Daddyd's suggestion and then whispers to the raven in elven, "Good work Branduh. Stay with me brave bird. If we get attacked, fly away and hide in the trees.'

Eammon follows Daffyd about 10 feet behind bow at the ready.

As they get up to the wagon, Eammon will stop about 20 feet short of it.

My Initiative roll was 3.
    Here's my new
    Listen: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Spot: [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

The dice roller did not work for me in this thread. My fault. Rerolled here in OOC.

Listen: 23
    Spot: 19
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-30 at 05:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

You slowly continue on the road, and after half a minute, you can spot the wagon on the road. It's empty indeed, and one of it's wheels is broken. There a some tools around that wheel, as if someone tried to fix it, but couldn't finish the work. The horses have disappeared, but from this distance, you can't find no signs about what happened.

The dense fog is really a hindrance, sometimes you can barely see each other, and it's impossibly to spot anything in the white mass.

Those with a listen check above 15, can notice sounds coming from the bushes at the edge of the road as if someone or something was walking there, from within the trees, but when you look there, you can't see anything suspicious.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2007-08-31 at 04:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Lorrick

Once the party reaches the wagon, Lorrick will draw his longsword and move forward, out of the fog, to inspect the empty wagon closely.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

In his now-familiar stooped posture, Ozz creeps around the wagon, longbow in hand and arrow nocked though not drawn. The gregarious goblin seems an entirely different creature in the wild: quiet, alert and intense. When he's actually seen, that is. His gaze is fixed on the ground with his head at an angle, scanning for anything amiss or out of sorts but his ears are perked and alert to sounds from around him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+12)[15]
    Search (for tracks): (1d20+7)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[24]

30. - Top - End - #60

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz keeps his bow drawn and stays near the bushes. He had heard sounds and stays nearby, hoping to discover whatever was in the wagon. He looks through the trees, on the ground nearby, and looks up at the treetops, not wanting to be surprised from above. This fog is annoying me. I can't see anything.
    Spot- (d20+9)[29]
    Listen- [roll]d20+9[/roll] 23 (rolled in OOC thread)
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-08-31 at 10:20 AM.