Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Just A Simple Job. {Serenity, OOC}

This isn’t the OOC thread for Just A Simple Job.

Spoiler: The Crew
    Show
    Player Character
    whoiam Sofia Patel
    Celticbear Yussiah LaCroix
    TankLaser007 Yě Tíng (易 婷) aka Hán (甝) the "White Tiger"
    AvatarVecna Andrew "Andy" Paulson
    Squadfather42 Decklyn Sharpe
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2018-01-17 at 12:17 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Just A Simple Job. {Serenity, OOC}

{This post reserved for details about the Verse.}

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Decklyn Sharpe, looking for a ship and crew.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Sofia Patel here, with more money than sense, and looking for a way to trade the one for the other

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Table Of PC Comparisons
    Show
    Blue signifies that as the best die in the party for that stat/skill. I haven't done these for skills yet because...well, you'll see.

A red skill is a skill nobody has, but I don't expect that to be a problem because none of them seem super-major except maybe Scientific Expertise.

Player whoiam CelticBear TankLaser007 AvatarVecna Squadfather42
    Character Sofia Patel Yussiah LaCroix Yě Tíng (易 婷)
    Hán (甝) the "White Tiger"
    Andrew Paulson
    "Andy"
    Decklyn Sharpe
    Agility d6 d12 d10 d12 d10
    Strength d4 d6 d8 d6 d6
    Vitality d4 d8 d10 d8 d8
    Alertness d10 d8 d4 d8 d8
    Intelligence d10 d4 d4 d6 d6
    Willpower d8 d4 d10 d10 d4
    Animal Handling - - - - -
    Artistry d6
    d8 (Appraisal)
    d8 (Painting)
    - - - -
    Athletics d2 - d6
    d8 (Dodge)
    d6 d6
    d8 (Dodge)
    Covert - d6 (Stealth?) d6 d4 d4
    Craft d2 - - - -
    Discipline d6
    d8 (Concentration)
    - d6
    d8 (Intimidation)
    d6 d4
    Guns - d6
    d12+d2 (Pistols)
    d6
    d8 (Pistols)
    d6
    d6
    d8 (Pistols)
    d8 (Assault Rifle)
    Heavy Weapons - - - d6 -
    Influence d6
    d10 (Persuasion)
    d8 (Seduction)
    - - - -
    Knowledge d6 - - d4 -
    Linguist - - - - -
    Mechanical Engineering - - d6
    d10 (Maintenance)
    d12 (Repairs)
    d4 -
    Medical Expertise - - - - d6
    d12 (Surgery)
    d8 (Diagnose)
    Melee Weapon Combat - d4 (Swords?) - - d6
    Perception d6
    d8 (Deduction)
    d8 (Empathy)
    - - d6 d6
    Performance d6
    d8 (Acting)
    d8 (Costuming)
    - - - -
    Pilot - - - d6
    d10 (Astrogation)
    d12+d2 ({Our Ship Type})
    -
    Planetary Vehicles - - d4 d6 -
    Ranged Weapons - - - - -
    Scientific Expertise - - - - -
    Survival - - - - -
    Technical Engineering d2 - - - d4
    Unarmed Combat - - d6
    d12 (Wu Shu)
    - d6

As I was going through character sheets, I made some notes of questions to ask, at least as far as chargen goes.

1) For Yussiah, I think the points would be better spent going straight into Vitality than into Tough As Nails, since you'd get the same number of Life Points out of it, and more Vitality would help other stuff too. Of course, if you prefer a character who's tougher than the sum of his base vitality and willpower for fluff reasons, that's cool, just making sure you're aware of the mechanical disadvantages. But that's small compared to...

2) Yussiah...you appear to be missing the vast majority of your skill points, and you've purchased a specialty for a d4 skill? I'm confused. >.< Anyway, I've taken my best guess for stuff in your column on the table.

3) Andy, ya got no equipment! You can't travel the 'Verse unarmed and nekkid, 'specially with a child in toe! Get your act together, idiot who made this character!
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-01-18 at 03:26 PM.

Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Spoiler: Table Of PC Comparisons
    Show
    Blue signifies that as the best die in the party for that stat/skill. I haven't done these for skills yet because...well, you'll see.

A red skill is a skill nobody has, but I don't expect that to be a problem because none of them seem super-major except maybe Scientific Expertise.

Player whoiam CelticBear TankLaser007 AvatarVecna Squadfather42
    Character Sofia Patel Yussiah LaCroix Yě Tíng (易 婷)
    Hán (甝) the "White Tiger"
    Andrew Paulson
    "Andy"
    Decklyn Sharpe
    Agility d6 d12 d10 d10 d10
    Strength d4 d6 d8 d6 d6
    Vitality d4 d8 d10 d8 d8
    Alertness d10 d8 d4 d8 d8
    Intelligence d10 d4 d4 d6 d6
    Willpower d8 d4 d10 d8 d4
    Animal Handling - - - - -
    Artistry d6
    d8 (Appraisal)
    d8 (Painting)
    - - - -
    Athletics d2 - d6
    d8 (Dodge)
    d6 d6
    d8 (Dodge)
    Covert - d6 (Stealth?) d6 d6 d4
    Craft d2 - - - -
    Discipline d6
    d8 (Concentration)
    - d6
    d8 (Intimidation)
    d6 d4
    Guns - d6
    d12+d2 (Pistols)
    d6
    d8 (Pistols)
    d6 d6
    d8 (Pistols)
    d8 (Assault Rifle)
    Heavy Weapons - - - d6 -
    Influence d6
    d10 (Persuasion)
    d8 (Seduction)
    - - - -
    Knowledge d6 - - - -
    Linguist - - - - -
    Mechanical Engineering - - d6
    d10 (Maintenance)
    d12 (Repairs)
    d6 -
    Medical Expertise - - - - d6
    d12 (Surgery)
    d8 (Diagnose)
    Melee Weapon Combat - d4 (Swords?) - - d6
    Perception d6
    d8 (Deduction)
    d8 (Empathy)
    - - d6 d6
    Performance d6
    d8 (Acting)
    d8 (Costuming)
    - - - -
    Pilot - - - d6
    d10 (Astrogation)
    d10 ({Our Ship Type})
    -
    Planetary Vehicles - - d4 d6 -
    Ranged Weapons - - - - -
    Scientific Expertise - - - - -
    Survival - - - - -
    Technical Engineering d2 - - - d4
    Unarmed Combat - - d6
    d12 (Wu Shu)
    - d6

As I was going through character sheets, I made some notes of questions to ask, at least as far as chargen goes.

1) For Yussiah, I think the points would be better spent going straight into Vitality than into Tough As Nails, since you'd get the same number of Life Points out of it, and more Vitality would help other stuff too. Of course, if you prefer a character who's tougher than the sum of his base vitality and willpower for fluff reasons, that's cool, just making sure you're aware of the mechanical disadvantages. But that's small compared to...

2) Yussiah...you appear to be missing the vast majority of your skill points, and you've purchased a specialty for a d4 skill? I'm confused. >.< Anyway, I've taken my best guess for stuff in your column on the table.

3) Andy, ya got no equipment! You can't travel the 'Verse unarmed and nekkid, 'specially with a child in toe! Get your act together, idiot who made this character!
    1)... just did the math, you right.

2)... it has been too long since I played this game, I need to rework him skill wise.

3) What do mean no equipment? I got equipment.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    1)... just did the math, you right.

2)... it has been too long since I played this game, I need to rework him skill wise.

3) What do mean no equipment? I got equipment.
    Point 3 was directed at somebody else.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Han of Red Tiger Mechanics. If it's it broke I'll fix it. And if you need 'it' broke... well I don't do that any more (least not officially).

That's some mighty fine tabling, there.

Celticbear, AV's was taking a self deprecating jibe at himself. Although I wasn't sure if he was light on gear due to being Dead Broke or just a lack of hitting the general store.

Also a repost in case it got missed:

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I don't have that handbook, so if you want something from it, copy it over here, and I will figure it out.
    Never thought to ask, but if BDH is on the table wanted to request two complications that conveniently AV already listed. Dark Secret, which I would use in place of Branded and go nicely with my idea for Deadly Enemy. And Cold as Black which as AV mentioned is a more PC friendly version of of Sadistic and also meshes well with my Steady Calm (Major Asset) helps explain how a person could have broke/removed digits and body parts as a day to day job. Didn't enjoy it, was just "business" but a detachment/acclimation to such acts left him rather "maladjusted".

Quote Originally Posted by Cold As The Black (Minor Complication)
    You have no emotions. You don't cry. You don't laugh. You don't share your feelings with others. Your emotions are nearly non-existent. You might not be a bad person - just damaged, on medication, or so totally stoic that you've forgotten what it's like to feel. Could be you're a violent socio-path. However you look at it, you don't make connections with the people around you. You don't pick up on social signals, tension, humour, or comments related to emotion or intimate issues. You don't react to situations bound to stir emotions in others - such as killing someone, or the death of a friend. Depending on the circumstances, you might take a -2 Skill step to social rolls when your lack of emotions causes problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Secret (Minor/Major Complication)
    There's a secret in your past that's pretty bad; the kind that could change your life or cause all manner of problems for you. Work this out privately with the Game Master. If you take this Trait as a Major Complication, the secret is worth somebody's life - most likely yours. If you take the minor version, the secret is more of the humiliating type with short-term consequences. Either way, your trait imposes a -2 Skill step when trying to explain yourself if the secret gets out. Normally, the Trait's probably just an ongoing reason for you to get nervous. Roleplay it out, and the Game Master might slide Plot Points your way once in a while.
    We will starting one year after the surrender of the Indepenents at Serenity Valley.
    So we'll be starting sometime in 2512/13. Guess for those that fought the wounds/memories are still very fresh.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2018-01-17 at 01:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    So we'll be starting sometime in 2512/13. Guess for those that fought the wounds/memories are still very fresh.
    Indeed. Andy was retired long before the war happened, but his son died in the fighting, leaving Andy's grandson with nobody else, and even though Andy don't hate the cause, he sure as hell hates 'em for takin' his son.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

@Tank:

Those traits are fine.

@Everyine:

Please finish up your sheets, pick your speech color, and also, let me which side of the War you were on, along with a brief story of what you did during the year since Unification.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take Navy unless anyone else is wed to the idea (namely whoiam).

Supplementary info incoming.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

I'll take Teal. Information to come..

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll take Navy unless anyone else is wed to the idea (namely whoiam).
    Oh, don't worry. I wouldn't torment Regs over something as simple as a text colour...

I'll take Saddle Brown for Sofia, thanks.
    Sofia was from the Alliance side (as won't be too surprising, since she grew up on the capitol worlds and her Dad's in the Alliance Parliament) but as she was a trainee companion during the war's run she didn't participate in it at all.

She was supposed to use the time since the war ended to set herself up with her own 'offices' on Sihnon, but since she wanted to see the rest of the 'verse (now it was finally 'safe' for her to do so), she ultimately went behind her parents' backs and spent the property deposit on a ship instead. Then didn't find out she'd fallen for a scam listing until she'd already snuck away to the Beaumonde spaceport to try and collect...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Point 3 was directed at somebody else.
    Oh... I thought he meant to type "And" and added the y by mistake... forgot there was someone named Andy...

EDIT: And I'll take Firebrick red

EDIT 2: Wait, I'm mute... nevermind
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-01-20 at 09:49 AM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Andy will speak in bold dim gray.

Also, a slightly interesting note for Han: "White Tiger" is a nickname(?) for the main star in the 'Verse, the one around which the Core Planets revolve. Not sure if giving your ex-con a nickname with strong connotative ties to the Core was intentional or not, so thought I'd mention it.

Spoiler: Andy Background
    Show
    Andrew Paulson served in the "civilian law enforcement" arm of the Alliance for nearly three decades, patrolling around in a wide variety of vehicles, dropping troops here and there, chasing down smugglers and thieves and occasionally more dangerous criminals. His career ended a few weeks after a particularly successful bust of a major drug ring on Athens, when some at-large members of the now ex-gang broke into his home and attempted to murder him, his wife Tia, and his teenage son Edward. His son made it through the encounter unscathed, but Andrew's wife was killed, and Andy himself took several shots to the body before he managed to subdue the would-be murderers.

He recovered most of his physical capability within a few months, but was eventually deemed unfit for action and was discharged from service. With bills to pay and a couple mouths still to feed, Andy did what he could to make ends meet, but it wasn't to last. He took out loans and called in old favors to scrape together enough to get by until Edward was old enough to enlist, and after that, the duty to keep him provided for was the Alliances, and Andrew only had to take care of himself.

...he didn't do a very good job of that. Andrew has spent the decades since his wife's murder drifting from planet to planet, job to job, just enough to keep himself fed and sheltered and out of debtor's prison, only occasionally fleeing heat when somebody came to collect earlier than anticipated. He kept in contact with Edward - the one thing in his life he hadn't screwed up by some miracle - and was always glad to hear from his daughter-in-law...and later, his grandson Nathan. It wasn't a great life, but it was about what Andy figured he deserved, and truth be told he didn't have the will to try harder for himself.

But then the rebellion began. People all around the Rim rejecting the Alliance, seeking to govern themselves. Maybe they could do a better job, maybe not. Andrew had been out of the game long enough that he didn't really have a horse in that race, exactly - but he knew Ed would get involved, so he hoped and prayed for his son's safety every night before drifting off to sleep. Andy did his best to avoid the Independents - he may not have been supporting the Alliance, but he doubted they'd treat an ex-Alliance pilot too well either, so he kept his nose down and looked after himself when he could, least while he was flying out in the Rim. As the war grew longer and longer, the kernels of hate grew in him: the more he saw of the kind of folk that lived out in the Rim, that supported Independence, the less he liked about them. Lotta decent folks out there, sure, but the ones in charge were always headstrong and judgemental at the best of times, and brazen con-men and crime lords at the worst, using the frustration of all them decent folks to try and take over the local government so they could write away all the pesky laws that kept them from getting rich. And of course, it was always in his head that the longer the fighting went on, the more likely it was he'd be lowering his son's casket into the ground. Of course, his nightmare became reality: while he received the news much later, he eventually got word that his son had died just a few days before the Independents surrendered. Edward had almost made it through the gorramn war breathin', but those huen dahn rebels just had to keep fighting to the bitter end.

Andrew made his way home to Athens, mindful of the trail of debts following in his wake that a funeral would be adding to. By the time he arrived, he was greeted with more bad news: Ed's wife had been so distraught, she'd taken her own life to be with her husband in death, or some similar religious nonsense. All it left him with was two funerals to plan out and pay for...and Nathan. Not even a proper teenager yet, and both parents dead in the span of a week. Truth be told, the lad would've been better off going into the care of the Alliance, but in the immediate wake of a war, they had more important things to deal with, and the kid deserved more than what he'd get from them. Course, he deserved more than Andy could give 'im either, but that didn't mean he wouldn't try his darnedest to raise this kid right, to provide for him the way Andy'd been failing to provide for himself for decades.

He wouldn't mess this up. He couldn't mess this up.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-01-17 at 10:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Just A Simple Job. {Serenity, OOC}

Andy will speak in bold dim gray.

Also, a slightly interesting note for Han: "White Tiger" is a nickname(?) for the main star in the 'Verse, the one around which the Core Planets revolve. Not sure if giving your ex-con a nickname with strong connotative ties to the Core was intentional or not, so thought I'd mention it.
    That's half right. All of the systems are named after the classical "for directions" Black Tortoise (North), White Tiger (West), Blue Dragon (East), and Red Bird (South) they also use the 'fifth' direction (Centre/Earth) Yellow Dragon. I always thought that was a nice homage to classical Chinese astronomy and cosmology. However the White Tiger of the north and the name for the core system is 白虎 (Bái Hǔ) which does mean white tiger it's just those two characters 'white' + 'tiger' (it also has a more vulgar meaning in slang). Han's nickname though is 甝 (Hán) different character AND different pronunciation -- but the same meaning -- a tiger that is white.

I really like Andy's background, by the way. I need to post mine it's scattered in two different documents. Might be some friction with a former law enforcement agent and a 'former' enforcer for organised crime working together. Especially given Han was the kind of guy who used to collect debts from people likely in Andy's situation. Hopefully though my past will not come to light.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

That's half right. All of the systems are named after the classical "for directions" Black Tortoise (North), White Tiger (West), Blue Dragon (East), and Red Bird (South) they also use the 'fifth' direction (Centre/Earth) Yellow Dragon. I always thought that was a nice homage to classical Chinese astronomy and cosmology. However the White Tiger of the north and the name for the core system is 白虎 (Bái Hǔ) which does mean white tiger it's just those two characters 'white' + 'tiger' (it also has a more vulgar meaning in slang). Han's nickname though is 甝 (Hán) different character AND different pronunciation -- but the same meaning -- a tiger that is white.
    Ah, alrighty. I'm not familiar enough with the language(s) to understand the nuance, but I recall reading something in the Serenity book about there being a lot of nuance to the language in pronunciation and the like. Just came across the bit about the stars' names being tied to the classic astronomy stuff, and wasn't sure if that was an intentional connection.

I really like Andy's background, by the way. I need to post mine it's scattered in two different documents. Might be some friction with a former law enforcement agent and a 'former' enforcer for organised crime working together. Especially given Han was the kind of guy who used to collect debts from people likely in Andy's situation. Hopefully though my past will not come to light.
    Thanks! I was a bit worried that a lot of it's too generic, but since a lot of the background stuff shouldn't come up as much at this point (the debts aren't quite enough for a full-blown Dead Broke, the criminal organization from way back when was minor, and is long gone, so no Deadly Enemy), we're mostly stuck with a guy with just a lot of bad memories. But yeah, it's gonna be fun running a retired cop with this group.

Fortunately, Loyal (Alliance) and Prejudice (Criminals) weren't strong enough aspects of his personality to make into full-blown complications, especially when they're competing with his new Credo (which is setting a good example for his grandson, and raising 'im right). If paying off debts and raising this kid right means putting up with the presence of criminals, thugs, and ex-Alliance...well, he's long since swallowed his pride on a few things.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry had a busy weekend. IC posts en-route.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

I hope it's okay that I didn't mention much of Decklyn's background. My intent was to have it come out through character interaction, but I can put out some of it if you guys want me to.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'm heading off to check my book to be absolutely sure, but I'm pretty sure that d8 to d10 is one die step, not two.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm heading off to check my book to be absolutely sure, but I'm pretty sure that d8 to d10 is one die step, not two.
    You don't know, there could be a fabled d9...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Or, alternately, I could be in the habit of screwing up basic maths when I make posts after local midnight...

Anyway, so the d8 stands for 'none of the assets count', the d12 for 'one asset', and I've got to do d12+d4 for 2 assets and d12+d8 for 3.

"2 Assets" - (1d12)[10]+(1d4)[1]
    "3 Assets" - (1d12)[4]+(1d8)[1]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Just so everyone knows, now is a good time for you to arrive at the same place.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The gentlemen you are speaking with (in case you hadn’t figured it out):

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*grin* Sofia's first brush with life's seedy underbelly! Once she's worked out what's going on, she'll be so thrilled...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, is that the other PCs they're trying to set Sofia up with? Because I thought the PCs and the scammers were separate groups... my mistake if there's just the one!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So, is that the other PCs they're trying to set Sofia up with? Because I thought the PCs and the scammers were separate groups... my mistake if there's just the one!
    And see, I thought they were separate groups too 'cause I wasn't a scammer, but then I saw that apparently the scammers were gonna be her crew and I was like "wait a minute, aren't we supposed to be her crew? Are...are we the ones scamming her?" but then I got read the whole first post again and we're all either starting out completely uninvolved with the scam, or at best hearing about other people scamming her?

EDIT: So I guess long story short is that I have no idea what's going on in this scene. >.<
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-02-04 at 05:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Just so everyone knows, now is a good time for you to arrive at the same place.
    Reference this.

You are the crew.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*glares at the other PCs*

Go on, then. Which of you just scammed Sofia out of her money...