Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Beaumonde

    The docks in the capital city of New Dunsmuir are probably the dirtiest place in the city. Though still cleaner than much of the rest of the industrialized world, the air was thick with smells of a rather different sort. From cheap fried foods, to engine fuel, to some bodily fluids, the place had a certain, 'lived-in' feel to it, made it seem more real than the air scrubbed artifices on the Core worlds.



    Sofia Patel

    You are greeted at the docks by a man you recognize from your studies. Paul was a young man, not so young as you are, but still not at middle age. He was the one the Guild house contacted for you on your way onto the world to provide you with a guide to the part of the docks where your new ship is waiting for you. The berth is empty, but of course, you don't know that just yet.

    Yussiah

    Work dried up. Finished the last job, and your crew slipped back into the shadows from which they came. Too bad the money from your cut probably won't last that long. But that's the way it is. At least this time, no one seemed to care which side of the war you were on. You are walking down the streets in the dock district when you feel a tap on your shoulder. Turning, you find yourself face to face with a young teen. His face, so devoid of wrinkles and imperfections means he either grew up a sheltered life, or someone took the time to care for him so he would be able to be 'presentable' when he came of age. The boy hands you a slip of paper, then vanishes back into the crowd.

    The paper contains a time and a place as well as a note scrawled in different handwriting at the bottom. The place is a berth not far away, the time is just a few minutes away, and the note reads, "This is a job offer. If you're interested in something to do."

    Han

    The bar is a cheap one. The booze is cheap, the women are loose, and there is a "Not responsible for malfunctions" sign over the pool tables. The mood in the bar is sullen. Folks are grumbling about a recent rise in taxes on goods levied by the Alliance, for the 'repair to the systems damaged by the Independents."

    There is a couple of folks in the booth next to your seat who seem to be less grumpy than the rest. You don't hear much, but you do hear the words "Companion," "ship," and "docks."

    Then one of the men laughs and says loud enough that you can hear him clearly.

    "Almost wish I coulda been there ta see the look on that dumb bitche's face when she finds out there ain't no ship there."

    The second man chuckles, but then looks around suspiciously.

    "Shut yer mouth Jeb. There's folks we ain't wanting hear of what wee did."

    Andy

    The docks are intoxicating. Almost. But that may be because of all the fumes.

    It is noxious, however, and unwise to be there over long. But try as you might, you just can't seem to get away from sailing the Black. Of course, I doesn't help that you're all the family he's got now. So when you are walking through the docks, you keep your eye out for anything that might lead to a job. Which draws your attention to the young woman being guided through one of the streets, you don't know who or what she is, but she is clearly a person of money and means.

    Decklyn

    Jobs are scarce. Granted, they aren't as bad as they are for the poor Independent suckers who can't seem to get past the War. But still.

    "Excuse me, sir." The voice is young. You turn and look, and see a young man. "You have been asked to come to dock 27. My employer has a job for you."
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2018-01-20 at 02:43 AM.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    For once, Sofia wasn't stepping onto a new world in what her mom would call 'Peacock Mode' - this was just supposed to be a quick business (not that kind of business) stop, followed by collecting her bulkier bits of freight and then a leisurely flight out-system. She'd ditched the elegant dresses (into her suitcase), and shown up in travel clothes - jeans and a loose shirt both bearing a Londinium Travel Bureau logo (as in, bought from a tourist stand, not that she works in said agency). She'd rounded out the look with a pair of glasses that utterly failed to make her look plain (admittedly they were really her eyetap computer, but most observers wouldn't know that), and a large suitcase (mainly full of the afore-mentioned dresses... but also her sword and knife, just in case she had to bluff someone into thinking she knew how to use them).

    "Oh, Paul! How joh bu jian!1" Sofia sounded genuinely pleased to see the man. And she was genuinely pleased.... admittedly not about Paul, whom she barely remembered. She just considered the whole endeavour so... exciting. Her first time out into the verse without either of her parents' watchful eyes on her... "Ah, but I do have one extra favour to ask before I collect - could you wait until I'm off world before letting Mom - Erika - know about my ship? There was a certain amount of going over her head... and behind her back... about these arrangements. I know, I shouldn't do such things to my Mother, but you know how long the argument would have been if she'd found out about this..." She actually manages to look contrite... for a couple of seconds, before her good mood reasserts itself. "Now, do you need any paperwork from me, or can we go have a look at it? I'm kinda... I've been waiting so long for the chance to make this how shi sung chung2 happen, I just cannot wait!"



    1 Long time no see
    2 Happy development/fortuitous happening

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Andy takes in the woman's clothing and the air about her, and listens in on the conversation from a ways. At the very least, it was good to keep an eye on her to make sure no local scum tried to take advantage of the largely-unaccompanied young woman.


    Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Decklyn looks at the person that just delivered the short, yet obviously, important message.

    With a nod of his head in the direction of the bay, Decklyn both accepts and has the messenger lead the way.

    "What can you tell me about this...mission?"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    For once, Sofia wasn't stepping onto a new world in what her mom would call 'Peacock Mode' - this was just supposed to be a quick business (not that kind of business) stop, followed by collecting her bulkier bits of freight and then a leisurely flight out-system. She'd ditched the elegant dresses (into her suitcase), and shown up in travel clothes - jeans and a loose shirt both bearing a Londinium Travel Bureau logo (as in, bought from a tourist stand, not that she works in said agency). She'd rounded out the look with a pair of glasses that utterly failed to make her look plain (admittedly they were really her eyetap computer, but most observers wouldn't know that), and a large suitcase (mainly full of the afore-mentioned dresses... but also her sword and knife, just in case she had to bluff someone into thinking she knew how to use them).

    "Oh, Paul! How joh bu jian!1" Sofia sounded genuinely pleased to see the man. And she was genuinely pleased.... admittedly not about Paul, whom she barely remembered. She just considered the whole endeavour so... exciting. Her first time out into the verse without either of her parents' watchful eyes on her... "Ah, but I do have one extra favour to ask before I collect - could you wait until I'm off world before letting Mom - Erika - know about my ship? There was a certain amount of going over her head... and behind her back... about these arrangements. I know, I shouldn't do such things to my Mother, but you know how long the argument would have been if she'd found out about this..." She actually manages to look contrite... for a couple of seconds, before her good mood reasserts itself. "Now, do you need any paperwork from me, or can we go have a look at it? I'm kinda... I've been waiting so long for the chance to make this how shi sung chung2 happen, I just cannot wait!"



    1 Long time no see
    2 Happy development/fortuitous happening
    Paul gives you an odd look, one that suggests disappointment in your choices, but smiles all the same as he says. "Of course not, you have my word on it."

    To your next question, he answers, "I do not know, Sofia. I am merely your guide to the correct location."

    As he says this, you pass another dock, this one belonging to a business whose sign proclaims, "We turn any ship to credits in minutes!"

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Andy takes in the woman's clothing and the air about her, and listens in on the conversation from a ways. At the very least, it was good to keep an eye on her to make sure no local scum tried to take advantage of the largely-unaccompanied young woman.
    You follow at a reasonable distance, enough to keep up with this woman and her escort, but far enough back that you shouldn't draw their attention. They are heading off down to one of the more unused parts of the docks, parts where there are few security patrols, and fewer honorable people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squadfather42 View Post
    Decklyn looks at the person that just delivered the short, yet obviously, important message.

    With a nod of his head in the direction of the bay, Decklyn both accepts and has the messenger lead the way.

    "What can you tell me about this...mission?"
    The young man, a boy really, simply shrugs. "They didn't tell me. Just asked me to find you and bring you down to see them."

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Decklyn accepts the boy's answer and keeps following him. Acting the part of the tourist, Decklyn looks around taking in the sights. When in actuality he's checking on if he's being followed and led into an ambush.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TankLaser007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Beaumonde

    Han

    The bar is a cheap one. The booze is cheap, the women are loose, and there is a "Not responsible for malfunctions" sign over the pool tables. The mood in the bar is sullen. Folks are grumbling about a recent rise in taxes on goods levied by the Alliance, for the 'repair to the systems damaged by the Independents."

    There is a couple of folks in the booth next to your seat who seem to be less grumpy than the rest. You don't hear much, but you do hear the words "Companion," "ship," and "docks."

    Then one of the men laughs and says loud enough that you can hear him clearly.

    "Almost wish I coulda been there ta see the look on that dumb bitche's face when she finds out there ain't no ship there."

    The second man chuckles, but then looks around suspiciously.

    "Shut yer mouth Jeb. There's folks we ain't wanting hear of what wee did."
    Han finishes the bourbon in one gulp, wiping the right side of his mouth where some of the liquor spilled through the emptieness of his long shattered teeth to dribble from the corner of his scarred lips.

    From the sounds of it these two were working some type of scam. And from the looks of them, neither 'Jeb' nor his mate were 'brothers'. Would be nice to know who these men were and what they were doing, at least enough to give one of his uncles, a report. Do something useful for a change other than fix and maintain some of the society's vehicles and an occasional ship.

    He stood up, sliding the credits for his drink under the empty glass, his heavy leather jacket creaked a bit as he rose and his piece pressed slightly into his hip as he shifted from a seated to a standing position. Taking the Blue Sun cigs from his pocket he placed the pack to his lips and drew out a smoke as he came to stand next to the table. Returning the pack he opened his lighter with a flip and took a long draw before snapping it shut with a loud *click* as he stood staring down at the two men.

    "B Jeb, yǒurn xiǎng tīng do zhge biǎo zi1." he growled through an exhalation of smoke, placing both hands on the table and looking back and forth between 'Jeb' and his friend with his good eye.

    "And be quick and to the point gāisǐ de2! I'm late for a job and short on patience."

    He took another draw and blew more smoke at the two men as he waited for them start filling in some of the blanks.

    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show

    Will - (1d10)[7] + Discipline - Intimidate - (1d8)[3]


    1"No Jeb, somebody does want to know about this bitch."
    2Damn it
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2018-01-22 at 02:02 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Yussiah is interested, though, this could be a trap. He makes sure his pistols are fully loaded and functional, and then makes his way to the berth.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Paul gives you an odd look, one that suggests disappointment in your choices, but smiles all the same as he says. "Of course not, you have my word on it."

    To your next question, he answers, "I do not know, Sofia. I am merely your guide to the correct location."

    As he says this, you pass another dock, this one belonging to a business whose sign proclaims, "We turn any ship to credits in minutes!"
    As they pass the dock, Sofia nudged Paul in the side and points out the sign. "How d'you think they do it? Magic? Alchemy? Gotta be pretty fast to break a ship down that quickly, hm?" Beat pause as she watches Paul's face, waiting to see if he buys it...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Performance (Acting) is a d8 for Sofia, plus whichever traits she can bring to bear...
    Allure +2 steps
    Good Name +2 steps
    Sweet and Cheerful +2 steps

    but not Registered Companion, which is explicitly for Influence checks while Sofia's using Performance.

    So Sofia's making this check with Intelligence (d10) + Performance [Acting] of either d8, d10, d12, or d12+2.
    "Intelligence" - (1d10)[6]
    "Acting" - (1d8)[8]
    or "Acting" - (1d10)[4]
    or "Acting" - (1d12)[12]
    or "Acting" - (1d12)[9] + "Acting" - (1d2)[2]


    If she doesn't trick him: "Yeah, yeah, I know. Couldn't you at least pretend to believe me?!"
    If she does: Paul's gullability earns him a quick dig in the ribs. "Oh, come on! Even I'm not that sheltered."

    Either way, she laughs and moves on. "So, how's life been treating you on Beaumonde? There's got to some good customers here, between the factory owners and the people just 'popping out' from the core worlds and the people running the 'credits for ships' shops... Oh, don't worry, I'm heading out-system. Not gonna set up shop here to try and steal any of your regulars... even assuming I was any of their types..."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by Squadfather42 View Post
    Decklyn accepts the boy's answer and keeps following him. Acting the part of the tourist, Decklyn looks around taking in the sights. When in actuality he's checking on if he's being followed and led into an ambush.
    No sign of an ambush as you keep making your way down the docks. Eventually you find yourself entering the more... interesting side of the legal operations operating through the docks. You are fairly certain there is likely a blackout zone somewhere nearby, and you can't help but wonder if you are being led into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    Han finishes the bourbon in one gulp, wiping the right side of his mouth where some of the liquor spilled through the emptieness of his long shattered teeth to dribble from the corner of his scarred lips.

    From the sounds of it these two were working some type of scam. And from the looks of them, neither 'Jeb' nor his mate were 'brothers'. Would be nice to know who these men were and what they were doing, at least enough to give one of his uncles, a report. Do something useful for a change other than fix and maintain some of the society's vehicles and an occasional ship.

    He stood up, sliding the credits for his drink under the empty glass, his heavy leather jacket creaked a bit as he rose and his piece pressed slightly into his hip as he shifted from a seated to a standing position. Taking the Blue Sun cigs from his pocket he placed the pack to his lips and drew out a smoke as he came to stand next to the table. Returning the pack he opened his lighter with a flip and took a long draw before snapping it shut with a loud *click* as he stood staring down at the two men.

    "B Jeb, yǒurn xiǎng tīng do zhge biǎo zi1." he growled through an exhalation of smoke, placing both hands on the table and looking back and forth between 'Jeb' and his friend with his good eye.

    "And be quick and to the point gāisǐ de2! I'm late for a job and short on patience."

    He took another draw and blew more smoke at the two men as he waited for them start filling in some of the blanks.

    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show

    [roll0] + [roll1]


    1"No Jeb, somebody does want to know about this bitch."
    2Damn it
    "Look," says Jeb quickly. "We ain't wantin' any trouble."

    "That's right," says the other man. "Why don't you go on back to your business, and we'll handle ours. 'Sides, ain't nothin' for it. Job's done, and the girl ain't hurt, so you don't gotta worry about playin' hero to some Companion comin' from off-world."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Partial Success. They don't quite get frightened, but they are saying more than they probably would to just anyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Yussiah is interested, though, this could be a trap. He makes sure his pistols are fully loaded and functional, and then makes his way to the berth.
    You find your way without any trouble, and when you arrive, you find that you must be the first to arrive, since no one else is here yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    As they pass the dock, Sofia nudged Paul in the side and points out the sign. "How d'you think they do it? Magic? Alchemy? Gotta be pretty fast to break a ship down that quickly, hm?" Beat pause as she watches Paul's face, waiting to see if he buys it...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Performance (Acting) is a d8 for Sofia, plus whichever traits she can bring to bear...
    Allure +2 steps
    Good Name +2 steps
    Sweet and Cheerful +2 steps

    but not Registered Companion, which is explicitly for Influence checks while Sofia's using Performance.

    So Sofia's making this check with Intelligence (d10) + Performance [Acting] of either d8, d10, d12, or d12+2.
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    or [roll2]
    or [roll3]
    or [roll4] + [roll5]


    If she doesn't trick him: "Yeah, yeah, I know. Couldn't you at least pretend to believe me?!"
    If she does: Paul's gullability earns him a quick dig in the ribs. "Oh, come on! Even I'm not that sheltered."

    Either way, she laughs and moves on. "So, how's life been treating you on Beaumonde? There's got to some good customers here, between the factory owners and the people just 'popping out' from the core worlds and the people running the 'credits for ships' shops... Oh, don't worry, I'm heading out-system. Not gonna set up shop here to try and steal any of your regulars... even assuming I was any of their types..."
    "Oh," says Paul, plaing along with you, to the point you aren't sure if you got the better of him or not. "You know, teams of Xiānnǚ working around the clock."

    A moment's pause, and then he continues, deadpanning. "Plus, they've got experience at it, darling."

    "Life out here isn't bad. We have regular enough work, and there just doesn't seem to be enough women for the high class guys who only think of traditional coupling as important. There are more enough whores around for everyone else, but every once in a while I get a client from the working classes who wants a bath."

    You continue walking, and after another minute of casual conversation, you find yourself outside the appropriate berth. "Well, here you are, Sofia. Behind this door, your future awaits!"

    With the showmanship befitting a royal unveiling, Paul throws open the door to reveal...

    An empty berth.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    ...

    ...

    Naive as she might be, even Sofia could tell something was wrong now. A quick glance through her menus had the Eyetap Computer set to record; she suspected she'd need to send the rest of this conversation in to the Guild later. Assuming there was a later, admittedly...

    ..."Wow. Didn't realise I'd paid for a ship with a Cloaking Device! Or that they existed, for that matter. Are you sure this is the right bay?" As she speaks, she turns back to face Paul - whether or not he's shocked at this 'discovery' is likely to be important later...

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    any continues following deeper into the docks, and starting to feel more than a bit curious the further they went.


    Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Huh. That's weird. Totally isn't a setup. Right.

    Yussiah pulls out one of his pistols. Then waits against a wall or a crate or something that doesn't leave his back to the open.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Decklyn follows the boy until they near the appointed meeting place. Once they are about to arrive, Decklyn stops the boy and places a few credits into his hand.

    "You have my thanks boy, but I'll continue on alone."

    Once the boy is gone, Decklyn makes sure his pistol is loose in the holster and slowly makes his way forward. Wary of an ambush, Decklyn approaches the meeting place.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    A cloaking device, says a man, stepping through a door on the other side of the berth.

    That would be interesting, says another voice. Its owner steps through the door to stand next to the first.

    The two men are identical twins. Identical all the way down to their suits, fancy duds for sure.

    We have a business proposition for you, if you are interested, the first man says.

    If you dont mind getting entangled with an, interesting, sort of people, says the second.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Sofia's pretty quick to swivel back around at their introduction. Also pretty quick to think about running.... probably not a good idea. She wouldn't be much good at it if she was in gym clothes and not carrying luggage....

    "Interesting isn't so much of a problem. Getting onto the guild registry is more about being rich or influential, it's not too concerned about how you got into that state.

    'Appears to have just cheated me', that's a somewhat bigger problem. While we don't judge what you do or don't do to the rest of society, dealing honestly with us is something of a big deal...
    "


    ...She may also have misunderstood the nature of their job offer.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Thats not...

    What we had in mind.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    That... seemed to stump Sofia, at least momentarily.


    "...Then.... what did you want me for? What's the point of trying to hire me for something I'm not trained to do?"

    As she'd mentioned before, she didn't have any issue working with 'interesting' people beyond the whole ship-fraud thing... and even that was only an issue because it was done to her. People hiring Companions to make themselves look more respectable was hardly unheard of. Her mind was just having trouble shifting gear enough to accommodate the idea that they weren't trying to hire her as a Companion.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Oh, you arent working for us, the first man says.

    They are working for you, the second man say, gesturing behind you.

    When Sofia turns around, she sees a motley group awaiting you.

    You see, we heard of a group of enterprising individuals.

    They were running a con on a Companion, you.

    And they didnt go through us.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2018-02-02 at 11:29 PM.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Andy grimaces, and draws his pistol as he approaches the group. He doesn't like his chances against this group, but he ain't gonna leave the young woman on her own against them either."Evenin' gentlemen, miss. Seems you're missing a ship...and you ain't all that surprised by it," he adds, glancing at the twins.


    Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TankLaser007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Han

    He puts the cigarette on the left side, where he still has a good grip, and most of his teeth. Inhaling deeply, he lets smoke trail out of his mouth as he speaks.

    "Listen Bndn1 do I like a big damn hero to you?"


    Two jets of smoke exhale from his nose, "You work -- something big, a companion, and think it's your business? Who do you boys run with. And remember there are no more 'independents'."

    He drops the cigarette in one of the glasses.

    "I think you're the ones who need rescuing. You think a job like that isn't going to go unnoticed. You're going to need to stand in the shadow of someone bigger. Maybe me and my brothers can help you. Just tell me about the job, what the take was and perhaps we can work something out."


    1Dumbass

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    Han

    He puts the cigarette on the left side, where he still has a good grip, and most of his teeth. Inhaling deeply, he lets smoke trail out of his mouth as he speaks.

    "Listen Bndn1 do I like a big damn hero to you?"


    Two jets of smoke exhale from his nose, "You work -- something big, a companion, and think it's your business? Who do you boys run with. And remember there are no more 'independents'."

    He drops the cigarette in one of the glasses.

    "I think you're the ones who need rescuing. You think a job like that isn't going to go unnoticed. You're going to need to stand in the shadow of someone bigger. Maybe me and my brothers can help you. Just tell me about the job, what the take was and perhaps we can work something out."


    1Dumbass
    "Maybe. Maybe not," says the other man, as he stands up. "But I ain't telling you anything else. And I don't think you will want to be starting trouble in here, so unless you really feel like dying, maybe you should leave."

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Yussiah points to himself vigorously, and then makes a shrugging motion.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TankLaser007's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Han

    "Threatshts? Dying? I've been to hell."

    He rolls his shoulders and shifts his weight back slightly while lower his centre of gravity.

    "OK Jeb. Jeb's mate. Let'sh shee what you ladsh've got."

    A half smile cuts a gash in his ruined face revealing a mouth full of broken teeth and a jaw with odd protrusions from poorly healed breaks.

    "Shall we?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    "I wouldn't get too worked up about it, " Sofia told the... absolute stranger... who'd just interrupted. "In some lines of work, not being surprised can be something of a vital skill..."

    Then back to the twins.

    "Ah, I think I understand. My first run-in with underworld justice! Heh, Father would probably have a fit if he heard this... Alright, well, in my line of work, those... people... aren't much use to me. Unless they actually have a ship they can provide for me? Or could, you know, return my money...

    So, let's see how my line of thinking sounds. I'm not sticking around on Beaumonde too long, and I wouldn't want to take them with me, anyway. So what I think we should do is make a contract for these 'fine' folks' service, that one of the local Companions can find a use - or a buyer - for. With it's length determined by how much of my money they return. And they know who they get to answer to if they don't honour it.

    Are we on the same page now, Gentlemen?
    "

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    Han

    "Threatshts? Dying? I've been to hell."

    He rolls his shoulders and shifts his weight back slightly while lower his centre of gravity.

    "OK Jeb. Jeb's mate. Let'sh shee what you ladsh've got."

    A half smile cuts a gash in his ruined face revealing a mouth full of broken teeth and a jaw with odd protrusions from poorly healed breaks.

    "Shall we?"
    Click.

    You look down and see the barrel of a revolver pointing at your face. Jeb speaks this time.

    "I don't think so, Bndn. If you're too stupid to realize that one, you're out numbered, and two outgunned, we don't need to explain anything to you. We done our part of this. And while we were told you'd be hard pressed to sell on the whole "idiot scammer" routine, you wouldn't be so stupid as to ignore a job offer if it was put in front of you. Go to the docks. The Rample Brothers are in one of the berths. By now, they're probably talking to the Bn Shǎ* companion, getting her wrapped up with them so tight she won't know which end of her dainty ass she can use to do her business with."

    He pauses for a moment to see if what he says is sinking in.

    "Now, you going be smart and take up the Rample's offer? Or do I put another hole in your head to breathe through?"

    You take a quick stock of your situation. You'd been drinking, and watered down though it may have been, it was probably still enough that these two, who, from the full glasses on their table, hadn't been, would be able to get an aimed shot off.

    * Stupid dumbass. Lit. Stupid Stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    "I wouldn't get too worked up about it, " Sofia told the... absolute stranger... who'd just interrupted. "In some lines of work, not being surprised can be something of a vital skill..."

    Then back to the twins.

    "Ah, I think I understand. My first run-in with underworld justice! Heh, Father would probably have a fit if he heard this... Alright, well, in my line of work, those... people... aren't much use to me. Unless they actually have a ship they can provide for me? Or could, you know, return my money...

    So, let's see how my line of thinking sounds. I'm not sticking around on Beaumonde too long, and I wouldn't want to take them with me, anyway. So what I think we should do is make a contract for these 'fine' folks' service, that one of the local Companions can find a use - or a buyer - for. With it's length determined by how much of my money they return. And they know who they get to answer to if they don't honour it.

    Are we on the same page now, Gentlemen?
    "
    The twins look at each other, then back to the Companion.

    "That's not how things work."

    "We have to send a message."

    "And you have to do it for us."

    "And in return, we can provide you with a ship worth as much as what you paid them for."

    "If, of course, you bring us the money."

    "And if you think that you can't do it..."

    "That's what we assembled a crew for you for!" They both say at the same time.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2018-02-03 at 11:37 PM.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    This time, the brothers draw a long, calculating stare from the companion. Before she replies, "I refuse. Seriously, I'm a Registered Companion from a very rich family. I don't need to accept non-Guild work to replace the money they scammed from me. I certainly wouldn't consider 'to protect your reputations' a good reason to do so, either. And both your evasiveness with regards to the actual nature of the 'job' and your desire for it to involve the people who scammed me suggests I really don't want to get involved with this, either.

    Now, if you want me to hire me to do something, drop the evasiveness and tell me straight what it is. But if it involves personally working with that lot,
    " she gestures at the guilty crowd behind her, "the answer's probably still going to be no."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celticbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Yussiah shakes his with a scowl on his face. He hated being ignored. Hated again being called a criminal.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

    Avatar by linklele

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    First of all, we just said we were going to send a message. It doesnt have to be killing them.

    That isnt how we do business.

    Second of all, there is only one criminal on your crew.

    And third. You, of course, dont need to take the job.

    But if you do, there is a better ship in the deal for you.

    And the fact that you are still here talking, and not just walking out means you are at least interested in our offer of a ship.

    Now I see that someone else has something to say.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Just A Simple Job {Serenity, IC}

    Andy remained silent for the time being. From what he'd been able to overhear while following, these two had apparently found out about somebody scamming this woman, and had hired the scammers to be her new crew? He glanced at the others present, sizing them up to try and see which ones looked like they might be the scammer...and which one the criminal they mentioned. As he processed everything he'd heard, though, he started weighing whether he even wanted to remain involved in whatever these two snakes were up to.

    Spoiler: Sizing People Up
    Show
    Trying to get a feel for who seems trustworthy and who seems suspicious. Best guess would be Alertness+Perception?


    Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •