New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[An Inside Entrance]

Officer Xifhara? Ugh.
    "Just call me Dena." She replies. "But if that's the summary, am I to assume you're hiring us to get rid of these people? I feel like I'm missing some crucial details here. Tell me who has sent you, how they're paying us, what they're hiring us to do and when and where we are supposed to do it."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

Better to start formal, until they tell you otherwise.
    Like she just did!
    "The patron of the request is a miss Libitina, who is offering..."

The courier takes a moment to shift the phone and open the manila envelope, to check a page in there.
    "Either straight payment in gem mineral denominations, or religious artifacts, depending on preference."
    That particular page is pushed back in..
    "There is no specific location, unfortunate, beyond the immediate city limits. As best as can be determined, the individuals are entering individually in various locations, likely highly public locations for discretion and opportunity.
    Venmaunt will be arriving..."
    Another piece of paper is consulted.
    "With a single companion beast, followed by at least three more. Their numbers will increase with time spent within the city, however, as they reproduce utilizing the populace as hosts and disguises."

That particular paper is also pushed back in and she shifts the envelope under her arm, to adjust her phone grip.
    "She is reasonably certain they will attempt to gain access to any possible positions of civic or municipal influence and maintenance in order to sow instability."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell Investigation]

Aside from the sudden unconsciousness, Astrana seems to be in fine health. The only other odd part of her state is that her eyes are clearly moving behind her eyelids. She's like that for a few moment before her eyes open. THe moment they do, the shrill cry of a baby fills the air.

If the two look toward the moon well they will see in the middle of the water, supported by stone just below the surface that wasn't there earlier, the child. Red of skin and with a nest of green snakes writhing on her head. She wails constantly, with her eyes squeezed closed.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tour to MERC]

So I guess they are taking Tina's supposed car here as its self-driving. Wouldn't want to drive on these roads after even one glass of alcohol, they're slippery!
    Dena have changed into full winter-gear while in the car by putting warm clothes over her bathing suit. "So you're going to pay me by the performance, basically like commissioning me like any other artist." She clears her voice. "But you can select the music and the theme of course, as long as it isn't something I can't dance to. I will have the right to deny anything I find distasteful or too trippy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Tour to MERC]

A belated answer to Rein's question comes sidling up the mountain pass, easy as you please, hovering a few feet off the icy road. It looks like a long black bullet the size of a small towncar, the front end occupied primarily with a huge spinning turbine. The turbine is lit from within the hover-ride's chassis by a molten orange light, and casts a warm forge glow over everything, the same color as the vehicle's internal night-lights.

It is, indeed, driving itself. Tina is swaddled in a fluffy pink coat, looking lovably tacky with her heart-shaped shades and her tight little sandals. "Too trippy?" Fettina asks with a telling, mischievous grin. "What's too trippy?"
    [Tour to MERC]

Reinholdt didn't really think to bring a coat to the beach and since he didn't get there by car, he wasn't storing one in a trunk anywhere. So he'll just have to be pressed in a little extra close to Tina. For warmth. It was a nice car though. It probably had reasonable heating. He'd have to figure out where Tina got one and see if he can't steal another like it.

"Something with a beat so fast it'd trip her up?" Rein's not sure what qualifies as trippy unless drugs are heavily involved. Maybe that's what they were hinting at? Hard to say. "I have a slight alteration we could consider. I'm sure we could pay you daily forever to watch you work." It's solid money. "But what if instead, we pay you to teach us how to dance? I sure as hell don't know how and I'm missing out on a fancy fae ball because of it. Don't even know what to do with my invitation. What do you think?" Reinholdt asks, looking between Dena and Tina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #485

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra watches Astrana carefully, and seems about to say something when the baby's cry startles her. She blinks for a moment at Astrana before looking towards the center of the pool.

"Uh, do you know anything about that?"

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"I suppose we could try VIGIL, though I have no idea who to talk to there."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-10-01 at 08:03 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #486

[An Inside Entrance]

Miss Libitina? She couldn't place that name. But whoever it was, why were they hiring MERC to protect Inside? Sheer altruism? Hmm...
    "Is Intersection or VIGIL aware of this issue? I feel like they would become involved either way as we're being hired to terminate what I assume appear to be ordinary citizens of Inside." That would look bad, but was it bad enough to be against their code of conduct? Bad publicity would not be good for business.

[Moonwell Investigation]

Astrana gets up groggily, like she had been asleep for far longer than just a few minutes. Her eyes are unfocused and she has to blink a few times until her eyes start to adjust. "Mm...?" Then she suddenly curses under her breath. "Oh no..." She attempts to put her hand on Electra's shoulder to make sure she doesn't turn to look at the child again. "Don't look at her." She states. "I'll... I'll handle her from here."

[Tour to MERC]

Dena smiles and shakes her head. "You know what I mean, weird music." She remarks while getting out of the car (I assume the car doors open automatically or whatever).
    But as Rein comes with his suggestion she raises her hand in protest. "Hold your horses now, I have a job you know. I'm handling MERC's business. In fact, I'm already teaching someone at the weekends."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

"VIGIL was going to be my stop after this one. Intersection...already dealt with part of it, 'accidentally'. I'm reluctant to approach city-tied groups with this particular issue directly."
    Mostly in case someone has already been replaced, and that particular person happens to be who Delilah delivers the report to.
    And then they eat her face.

"There are other problems that I'm trying to make known to the right people, at the right times."
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #488

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra's gaze snaps back to Astrana, just as the warlock wanted. Her eyes are wide.

"Why? What will happen if I look at her?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

9. - Top - End - #489
    Halfling in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

"No, I really don't know what you mean!" Tina protests, giggling, as she goes to get out of the car. Presumably right beside Rein. She shivers and pulls her coat a little closer against herself.

"You're teaching someone? To dance?" Fettina looks interested, and she probably trades glances with Rein. "Are they cute?"

"I guess you could always give me your invitation, Rein, since Dena is going to snub us for her new student," Fettina jokes. "Or I can teach you how to dance, but it sure as hell won't be as pretty."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-10-05 at 11:20 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #490

[An Inside Entrance]

"Right. In that case, I'm going to call up VIGIL myself before I can accept the job. Inside is tricky, if we end up stepping on too many toes the whole operation might end up creating even more chaos." Dena replies.

[Moonwell Investigation]

"She's a gorgon. Her gaze is dangerous, like miss Xifhara's." Astrana remarks. "Have to be careful." She takes a deep breath. "Just let me try to handle her, I think that creature got what it wanted now." She nods in the direction of the crying baby.
    Then she will let go of Electra and move to pick the toddler up. "Just don't turn around, keep looking away." Hopefully this would go well...

11. - Top - End - #491
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

"I suppose that could save me another trip..."
    The courier shrugs a bit, despite this being entirely unnoticeable over the phone.
    "My concern is mostly over it getting out of hand, when it won't really matter whose toes are stepping on whose."
    Absentee Spirit

12. - Top - End - #492

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Okay," Is all Electra manages, before turning her back to the child. Hopefully Astrana can handle taking care of a child so dangerous. She waits patiently, since Astrana seems to have some idea of how to reach the child without getting turned to stone.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

((Toddler is definitely not an accurate descriptor. ))

[Moonwell Investigation]

When the child is picked up, she quiets almost immediately. She opens her eyes, stunning stunning red and yellow orbs. She looks directly into Astrana's eyes, and should their gazes meet Astana will find no danger.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tour to MERC]

Dena smiles and shakes her head. "You know what I mean, weird music." She remarks while getting out of the car (I assume the car doors open automatically or whatever).
    But as Rein comes with his suggestion she raises her hand in protest. "Hold your horses now, I have a job you know. I'm handling MERC's business. In fact, I'm already teaching someone at the weekends."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Tour to MERC]

"No, I really don't know what you mean!" Tina protests, giggling, as she goes to get out of the car. Presumably right beside Rein. She shivers and pulls her coat a little closer against herself.

"You're teaching someone? To dance?" Fettina looks interested, and she probably trades glances with Rein. "Are they cute?"

"I guess you could always give me your invitation, Rein, since Dena is going to snub us for her new student," Fettina jokes. "Or I can teach you how to dance, but it sure as hell won't be as pretty."
    [Tour to MERC]

"Nah, forget it. I didn't realize you were so busy." Reinholdt says quietly, declining Tina's offer as well. Commission based jobs tend to ebb and flow. Rein guesses they're in an upswing right now.

He'll visibly slip his invitation to the fae ball into Tina's coat for her to use at her discretion. "Just be careful. I hear they're tricky. Now let's hurry and get inside. It's cold out here." Rein is all too eager to get to the front door and into the presumably warm building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Kirk shrugs. It's not as if it matters to him what they do. He's not going to try to convince them just so Dena can get something. "My knife." He says, holding out his hand.

16. - Top - End - #496

[An Inside Entrance]

"Yeah, I can talk to VIGIL, no problem. Anything in particular you want me to tell them besides the obvious? I mean, some more information about these 'facestealers' and their boss would be nice. Just how would we be able to recognize them if they are able to shapeshift? Can they just assume the form of people whose face they've stolen or anyone they've seen?" Not a lot of information to go on so far...

[An Epic Quest]

When Corvus mentions VIGIL, Astrana raise her eyebrows. "I wouldn't look for the venom at VIGIL if I were you. The person you're after is unlikely to part with it willingly to a couple of strangers. I've talked to her." She advice's. "In fact, I feel like I should inquire what you need the venom for again as MERC have been assailed by an entity that creates gorgons as of late. So that you suddenly come over and ask about just that feels like quite a coincidence." Astrana doesn't sound suspicious, but it seems like she want some clarifications on their part. "I'm sure we can help you with whatever this is about if its really serious. I could even talk to miss Xifhara about other methods of payment, or perhaps make your task somewhat easier." But not for free of course.

[Tour to MERC]

"Ever heard triangle music? There is no real beat in it, and that's just the first lame instrument I can think of. Whole lot of others that was never meant to be danced to." Dena replies, having no idea why they were so obsessed with the question.
    She makes a point by opening the door for them, maybe their attention could be diverted to something more pressing, like not freezing to death?
    Once she's closed the door behind her, she turns to the two again. "She's like five years old, so yes, of course she's 'cute'. Though probably not the way you meant it." She grins at Tina, Rein's invitation slipping had not gone unnoticed though. Just what was the cat's game here...

[Moonwell Investigation]

Astrana had suspected as much, but she still reflexively closed her eyes as soon as the child opened hers. Yet soon she dared to opened one for a moment just to check. Still nothing despite clearly meeting the gorgons gaze, even for just a moment. Closing the eye again she waited a moment just to be sure the pertification processes wasn't just slow.
    But opening her eyes to look down at herself confirmed what she pretty much knew at this point, nothing had happened to her and based on Kirk's experiences with it the process should have started by now.
    Therefore, question now was if the child was too young to have the gaze or if she had been granted immunity to it by the entity. Better to assume the second option. She didn't want Electra be petrified now that they had gone through all this just to save her from that very fate.

The tiefling carries the gorgon child back to Electra, gently covering the infants eyes with her hand. "Okay, I think you're safe now so we can probably return to MERC. This child is what that entity wanted all along. Just like with Shanti."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

The sequence of events she had in her head is not quite what she's getting.
    One part funny to two parts annoying.

She reminds herself that she needs to relax.
    "I had a bit of a presentation in mind, as far as information goes, but if you would prefer I can give the need-to-know summary version."
    Which would be a lot faster, to be fair, and probably just as useful in the long run.

But changing plans is such a drag.
    Absentee Spirit

18. - Top - End - #498

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus blinks, and eyes Willa, then shrugs.

"It's an ingredient for a potion we want to make, but it's not meant to have anything to do with gorgons beyond obtaining the ingredient. At least, that we're aware of."

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Do you think she'll react badly to being teleported? I don't want to put you in danger," Electra asks as she turns back towards Astrana. Normally her EV unit can't handle multiple people, but one person carrying a baby shouldn't be a problem. The larger problem is how said baby will react to the strange sensation of being shifted spatially in such a manner.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell Investigation]

The baby seems more than happy to nestle into Astrana's shoulders, her eyes safely away from Electra. The green snakes on her head settle, a couple lightly wrapping around Astrana's arm.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa perks up. She was hoping it would have that effect. But she also really did want to vent.
    ”It’s just a potion to solve a problem of mine. I have no reason to believe it will affect any of the sources of the ingredients. I know how it sounds. But that’s really all it is.”
    A pause.
    ”How do you just make gorgons?”
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2018-10-11 at 01:45 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #501

[Tour to MERC]

"Wow. Uh, really?" Fettina is tempted to look at the invitation now, but she is mighty interested in being inside as well. "Hey, no worries, I'm pretty tricky myself..."

Then Dena steals her attention again. Fettina busts up laughing. "You're teaching a little girl? Oh my gosh, Dena, that's adorable. I bet she thinks you're just about the coolest thing on two legs."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-10-13 at 06:28 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Kirk is just silent for the moment. Did Astrana know more about this whole gorgon situation? And if she does, has Dena heard?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tour to Merc]

Reinholdt hasn't cared about the trippy music question in pretty much ever. That one's all Tina. Though it'd make sense she would be more interested. She was in the industry after all. Surely that gives her an expanded appreciation of and interest in the genres out there.

Swinging inside he lets out a sigh of relief at the warmth. "Yeah. I'm not going to use it so might as well give it to someone who is." Rein shrugs a little at Tina. Then again, he is pretty fey himself in looks and at times demeanor. Maybe he's secretly a fey agent trying to get as many hapless innocents to the ball as he can. Guess he messed up this time, since Tina said she can handle herself. What a terrible agent.

"A few five year olds aren't cute, but not many." Rein can't think of any he knows of in the Nexus at the moment that would qualify under that statement. Maybe some dwarf or goblin kids. No five year old should have that much chin or armpit hair. "Oh do you do that dance move for them? What's that called? The one where you spin on your head? Breaking? Can you even do that with the snakes?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #504

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Not more badly than being carried naked through the cold." Astrana remarks, their surroundings were not especially hospitable. The fact that the wells water wasn't frozen was likely due to the fact it didn't seem to be water at all and that it seemed to emit a heat of its own.
    Less so the area around the well which were covered in a thin layer of snow.
    "So let's just get back. I doubt this 'god' would have let her get injured by the very means of transportation it apparently predicted we would use to get here with."

And if Electra do teleport them out of there, the child will indeed take no harm. Astrana will still cover up her eyes though. "We need to report back to mister Razortooth and get her a blindfold." The warlock remarks as they come through the front door.

[Tour to Merc]

Dena can't help but to smile at the question. "I think she considers me alright enough. One have to be careful though, kids that age pick up things so easily so I might accidentally teach her the wrong things if I'm not careful." She was pretty sure she shouldn't have shown Laela all those sleight of hand tricks...
    "And no, breakdancing ain't what I teach in, caty-cat. Doubt these gals would appreciate it either." She gently her arm brush past one of her snakes jaws as if she was scratching it. In response, it lets its tongue vibrate in the air without hissing.

Dena is taking them towards the one of the private rooms Dena had converted into a small gymnastic hall... just taking a small detour which will have them walk past the animal pens.

[An Epic Quest]

"What problem exactly? I know these things so I might be able to help if you just tell me a bit more of the situation. It would make it a lot easier to help you out if I knew exactly what was going on."
    Astrana argues, seemingly just brushing off Willa's questions about the gorgon babies.

[Return from Skyside]

Dena and Kirk return from their heist in Skyside and with them they have their prize, Tina. The neon girl is now free, but to what price? Her new wings barely fit into the car.
    "So did you just wake up like that...?" Dena asks as they come through the front door. "You kinda look like one of those angels, just made of metal."

[An Inside Entrance]

"A presentation? Any chance you got something like a powerpoint you could send to us in an email? I'd prefer that before the quick version. This sounds like something we need the details of, especially if I'm supposed to tell VIGIL about it. Otherwise I suppose you could come over to the main base or give everything you have to... 'Spooky' at the office there." Not even Dena seemed to take the sheet ghost that seriously.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-10-15 at 10:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

[Tour to Merc]

As Dena and her guests walk past the beast pens, some curious critters come out to greet them. Specifically, two pups, fairly grown up by now. They keep their distance despite their curiosity, even as their noses work intently in the trio's direction. Their father, a large wolf with light grey fur that's almost white in places, stands behind them protectively.

[Moonwell Investigation]

Dipsnig wasn't waiting in his office, as it turns out. The situation has him on edge, so he comes out to meet the two women as soon as they appear. Then he spots the child in Astrana's arms and blinks. His ears droop downwards considerably.

"What in the Devouring Dark does that mean?" he simply asks.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #506

[Tour to MERC]

Tina is giggling about breakdancing with those poor snakes, just about to make some bad joke about Dena being a bad influence, when the wolf pups come bounding up. "Oh my God, are those actual wolves?" She quails slightly, perhaps a purely instinctual reaction, but her brain is just saying 'damn if it isn't cool'. With equal amounts concern and curiosity, she asks Dena, "Are they... are they safe? Or what the..."

Her eyes keep flicking between her companions and the puppers. Then they finally settle on Reinholdt. "Are you-- like, scared? You okay?" Cat, after all.

[Return from Skyside]

Tina walks along beside Dena, dressed in - how did Telly have her dressed, anyways? If at all? Oh well, anything forum-unfriendly is covered by stylized heart-shaped locks, as though she were just a chrome construct in the shape of a winged woman. "Um... yeah. It's not all there. I think Telly had me on something."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #507
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

Delilah looks back down at her envelope with a thoughtful expression.
    "Not that sort of presentation...though if you have a secure computer, I could make one for you. My materials are all papers at the moment."
    With a dubious glance up at Spooky, she shrugs a bit at the other suggestions.
    "If you want me elsewhere, 'have notes, will travel.'"
    Absentee Spirit

28. - Top - End - #508

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus folds his arms over his chest and looks to Willa. He's not about to reveal that for her. Technically, they don't need to know, and it's up to Willa if she wants to share it.

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra's concern is more how the baby will react to the sensation, but Astrana is right; fleeting mild discomfort is preferable to trekking through the snow. She does indeed teleport them back. She nods at Astrana's comment as they come through the door.

"I doubt he's going to be happy about this, but you're right. Though, a blindfold first is probably a better idea."

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

((I don't imagine I'll need to post every round for the Moonwell Investigation scene.))

[Return from Skyside]

Kirk's lips form a thin line. "Someone should look at you. We need to know what's going on before we can do anything about it."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

"Scared?" Reinholdt asks with some confusion, staring at the dogs (wolves seems too generous) with a general disdain. "I don't see why. I could take 'em," Rein assures Tina, confident in his ability to climb up a tall tree if they chase him and snipe them from there. He makes no moves to antagonize them though. Now if they were talking about certain types of undead dogs, then he'd have to reconsider his fear.

"Canines tend to be filthy unless they've been washed in the last hour. We should probably just pass by and let them be." Icky, filthy, drooling mutts. Eww.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast