New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[An Epic Quest]

Willa sighs. She trusts Astrana, even if she doesn’t have much reason to.
    ”Longevity. I’m trying to live as long as he will. That’s it.” she says, jabbing a thumb at the exalt. She doesn’t elaborate further. She rather wouldn’t, for fear of having to explain how all this happened.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

Dena gets down on one knee and pets the back of one of the wolves. "They're just big fluffy cuties." She insists in the tone usually only reserved for dogs and babies. "And we keep them clean, these babies are the cleanest wolfies around, aren't you? Yes, aren't you?" She asks rhetorically while scratching the wolves neck.

Hopefully they didn't mind snakes.

[Return from Skyside]

"Yeah, as soon as red-butts gets to work she can have a look at you." Dena points out. "Until then, we need to figure out where you ought to sleep. I figured you might want to stay here at least for the night considering what happened. We got a few guest rooms, unless you feel safer sleeping in our rooms."

[Moonwell Investigation]

((Looks like nova missed Morty's reply, I'm going to continue anyway though.))

"This is what the entity wanted." Astrana remarks as she gently pats the baby on the back. "As I suspected, it seem to want as many of these gorgons as possible for whatever reason." She pauses. "I'll keep her around, I believe I might be able to figure out why it wants them that way, not to mention that someone has to take care of her."

[An Epic Quest]

Astrana's eyes widens and she strokes her chin thoughtfully. "And how did you find out about this potion then? Gorgons are associated with healing, but I never heard of this particular receipt before. How are you going to use these reagents? Just mix them together?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-10-16 at 04:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

The pups are content to be scratched by Dena. They didn't trust the snakes at first, but then they got used to them, since Dena is around their master a lot. They still won't approach Tina or Reinholdt unless they do it first, though.

[Moonwell Investigation]

Dipsnig's expression doesn't soften one bit. When he speaks, his lips curl back just enough to show teeth and it seems the only reason he's speaking with an indoor voice and not yelling is because there's a child there.

"This so-called snake deity is starting to really ****ing push it. It's not going to use my people to... propagate its snake-headed kids and get away with it."

[Return from Skyside]

Seems Dipsnig has quickly learned of the trio's return. He certainly kept close eye on his two senior officers' rescue mission in Skyside, of all places.

"Well. Looks like everyone's safe and sound... or are you?" He asks, glancing at Tina. He can't remember her having wings, that's for certain.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #514

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

((I missed Morty's reply, but there's no reason not to continue on.))

Electra looks over to Dipsnig as he asks his question, and nods when Astrana finishes her explanation.

"I wasn't shown that the ritual would have this result, but I suppose we should have considered it."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Kirk chuckles. "Be careful what you ask for there." He warns lightly, though there's a hardness behind his expression. "But that aside, am I needed any longer?" It doesn't sound like they're too enthused about the course their investigation has lead them on.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Halfling in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

"Oh my gosh, Dena, I don't think I've ever seen this side of you," says Fettina, raising a hand to her mouth as she watches amusedly. Her gaze goes to Rein, filled with mock-disapproval. "Well you might not be scared, but I am. So have to come up with me and help pet the other one."

She will slowly approach and try to squat down a little warily in front of the other pup. Tugging Rein along if he lets her. "Um..." she looks at herself, then at Rein... and if she got him this far, she will try to take his hand and extend it gently toward the pup's nose. Here, have a whiff, we're friendly!

Hopefully Tina holding his hand like that helps Rein's willingness to play along.

[Return from Skyside]

"Well, heck yeah I wanna sleep with you guys," Fettina says very particularly. "You think I want my own room? All the way up here, in the cold? I need one warm body at least."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa crosses her arms.
    "I got it from a higher being. Called in a favor I was owed. And no, not a demon. Ingredients first, then crafting. We're doing one step at a time." she insists. Really, she's still not very confident in this whole escapade, but Libra has tried to good in the past. And the original centaur thing really did work out great until Walter ruined everything.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

"You can stay with me tonight." Kirk replies quickly. "I don't think Dena would appreciate your inevitable advances." He says with a wink.

Oh, and here's the boss man. "You didn't need to wait up. We weren't about to let those Kabal bastards get away with anything." He says lightly enough, but there's still an edge on him.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

Rein's face is full of disbelief and protest but he doesn't actually prevent Tina from pulling him along. He doesn't see how any of this is supposed to help Tina be less afraid of the big puppies and their guardian. Or why she's scared in the first place. Or where Dena went and who replaced her. In this world of complete irrationality, Reinholdt has no choice but to roll with it for his own survival, despite his doubts about Dena's claims. So his hand is there being held out by Tina to be sniffed. It was a strange feeling, exacerbated by the feeling of Tina's nice hands.

"I thought you lived here Tina. Haven't you met them before?" Rein asks. They don't seem particularly new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #520

[An Epic Quest]

A 'higher being' which wasn't a demon? So she was willing to admit that much, but not its identity? Either that had been a part of their pact or the being the centaur had made a pact with was far worse than she had previously imagined. Just what had Willa gotten herself into now? It seemed like a classic scenario of a young warlock quickly getting way over her head. The fourth tower told horror stories about these things happened.
    "Right... afraid I can't be of much help then. As a warlock, I don't want to involve myself with unknown entities. If I try to help you without knowing what I'm dealing with I might end up causing even more trouble." She explains before turning to Kirk. "But no, your assistance shouldn't be necessary anymore mister Locke."

[Return from Skyside]

"Yeah we got her out, no problems. I'll write you a report on it tomorrow." Dena was usually light on the details, keeping everything short and concise so she could be done with it earlier. Writing was not something she enjoyed a lot as evidenced by her almost impossible to read handwriting.
    "So I'm gonna go and sleep now, unless there was something you really wanted to talk about boss?" Dena raises her eyebrows expressively as if to challenge the goblin, the trio did look rather beat at the moment.

[Moonwell Investigation]

"It didn't use me." Astrana insists. "But yes, this entity is troublesome. Especially as I still can't tell what it actually wants beyond to create more gorgons, I can't tell what it wants with them though. But perhaps there some greater plan I can't see yet, I would have to keep an eye on this one. Perhaps it will use some more." She remarks with a gentle pat on the babies back. "Otherwise we could try investigating this cult based around it more."

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

[Tour to MERC]

The pup sniffs Rein's hand. This person smells weird. Weirder than the other people who come here. But their master told them to be careful and Dena's here, so that's okay. The wolf rubs her nose against the hand.

[Moonwell Investigation]

"No plan that starts with 'let's create baby gorgons in pools of magic power' has ever ended anywhere good," Dipsnig argues, deciding not to inquire as to how the deity didn't use Astrana here. "But what's done is done. Investigating this thing's cultists is probably our best bet. Can't be too hard to sniff them around with our resources and expertise."

[Return from Skyside]

Dipsnig's ears twitch as he looks over the trio.

"I just wanted to make sure my senior officers returned safely after going into the gremlin's nest," he says. "Although gremlins are preferable to those KABAL goons. But now that you're here there's nothing to be said about it that can't wait until morning, I suppose." Rilla has probably already used this as an excuse to stay in the guts of some machine until dawn.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell Investigation]

Speaking of the baby, she starts fussing now, and it'll only be seconds until it becomes full on crying.

13. - Top - End - #523

[Return from Skyside]

"Hi Mister Dipsnig, uh," Fettina glances at the goblin, finally piping up. "Should I pay you for their time?" She forks a thumb at her companions.

"I guess, uh, goodnight, Dena," Fettina adds, going to give the oversized gorgon a big hug. "Thank you again. Really. You're the best couple of friends that I could ask for."

"And I guess that'll do," she gives Kirk a look before waiting to head toward his room.

[Tour of MERC]

"Live here! Hell no," Tina sets to laughing, the sound like swaying chimes. "Stay here sometimes, maybe, but I couldn't ever live in a place like this. Dena's certifiable. Or just one hard ******* gal," Tina posits crudely.

"Oh, gosh, look!" Tina grins immediately as the wolf pup nuzzles Rein's hand, and slowly lifts her own to offer the palm. "Thanks for risking your hand, Rein."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #524

[Moonwell Investigation]

Astrana first nods in agreement but as the baby is starting to make a fuss, she sigh. "Inform me once you have anything, or need my help. I'll take care of her in the meantime, I will report back if I find anything out. So if you excuse me..." She gets up, the baby still held in her arms and will then leave the room.

[Tour of MERC]

"Tina got a sweet apartment in Inside. Been there a couple of times." Dena clarifies as she continues petting the wolf. "Don't you have that now, Rein? A sweet apartment I mean. I heard you sold all your loot for enough cash to retire on." And here she was, still slaving away in the mercenary business. "Maybe you're neighbors without even realizing it."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

Kirk gives Dipsnig an understanding nod. "We'll fill in any gaps you have later. Chances are Kabal will be more pissy than usual toward us, but what else is new."

"But yes, later." Kirk will guide Fettina to his room then, putting his hand on her back on the way there. Once they step into the room, Kirk turns to look at her, hit brow furrowed. "You do feel fine, right? I don't want to freak you out anything, but this is... drastic." He gestures at her generally.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

[Doggies]

Ugh. Reinholdt practically has to pet it, it's being so insistent and nuzzling his hand and everything. Just this once pup. It'll earn itself scritches under the chin before Rein's hand moves aside to make room for Tina's. "You're welcome." Begrudgingly though.

"Is this place really that bad?" Rein hadn't gotten that impression. Maybe it's not about the interior, but rather the location. Actually the location seems really terrible in general. Being sequestered on a mountain doesn't seem to invite business after all. Doesn't seem to have been a problem, but what does Rein know?

He shakes his head at Dena. "Oh no, I've got nothing so luxurious as an apartment. Too costly for me. All my money from that auction was donated directly to Good League of Good's operating funds. I imagine they're set for a while. Or at least until I collect enough loot to do it again." Loot just sort of happens when you're out there stealing it. "I live at HALO now and help Felandria run it. Most I have in Inside might be a safehouse and some contacts." He's been known to butter up the unseen NPC working class with free beers to get info on occasion.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-10-22 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa sighs.
    ”Look, Astrana. I’ve dealt with this one before. She hates talking about herself but I got something about oni after a few visits. If you help me at absolute worst she’ll be mad at for making things too easy. You don’t have any risks involved.”
    Willa of course does, as she still can’t be sure this potion will really actually work as advertised.

18. - Top - End - #528

[Return from Skyside]

She isn't oversized! 6'2 isn't even that tall!
    Dena returns Tina's hug, but doesn't linger on it too long, couldn't make people think she was a softy!
    Once they're gone she turns to Dipsnig. "I don't think I have to tell you we need to keep an eye on her in case KABAL can control her somehow while she's like this. Kirk should do for now, but depending on what Astrana says we might need a long-term plan regarding Tina. Might also have someone to check on them at night, just in case."

[An Epic Quest]

That word makes Astranas eyes widen. Oni... no, that sounded fake. Oni were not know to make these kind of deals. She believed Willa however, but she was likely being lied to here. Some entity claiming to be oni to make it seem more important, or perhaps another type of lesser being from another universe with the same name. Actual Gods rarely approached people randomly like this and offered immortality of all things.
    The little she knew about oni suggested that they usually offered knowledge, usually the scientific kind, which could alter the world itself. This would be completely out of character for them, not to mention that the very possibility of the oni being involved made her head spin. There was no way she'd be able to even start to comprehend what that would have meant.

"Oni, huh? Does it have a name? Or at least something I can call it if the name gives it power or call its attention."

Yes, does it, huh? Huh?! Libra mentally mocks Willa, followed by a giggle. "But seriously, all this dumb yapping is starting to get super-dull so I'm going to give you some help! I heard someone say something about about a deal with an angel, so I'm going to give you something no angel can resist. Then you can make a super-sweet deal and we'll get to the exciting parts of the quest! This 'adventure' have so far been nothing but yapping." She let's out a loud groan.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa groans and turns to the side so Astrana doesn’t think she’s talking to her.
    ”Yeah well, if you wanted action you should have sent me after something that wouldn’t take negotiations. If you wanna help Libra, feel free.” she grumbles.
    ”Sorry Astrana, backseat drivers.”
    Willa says, and for a moment gets lost thinking about how she’ll never actually be able to sit in a car again.

20. - Top - End - #530

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra frowns, and nods at Astrana, then looks back to Dipsnig.

"Unfortunately, I think the only cultist that was left after the massacre in Skyside was Shanti. And I think revealing what just happened to her would be a very bad idea indeed."

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus eyes Willa for a moment, but says nothing, despite hearing Willa mumble Libra's name. At this point, it's probably better to let her do the talking, after all, she knows these people.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-10-22 at 06:30 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

"I'll keep that in mind," Dipsnig says. "KABAL have fewer standards regarding mad science and magic than they've got with everything else, which is saying a lot. After you fill me in on everything we'll plan how to make them even angrier with us."

[Tour of MERC]

The wolves will accept various pets, scratches and other affection.

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Maybe she went recruiting," Dipsnig ventures. "But that seems like a real long shot." He mutters something. "Long as it may be though, checking if any other cultists are still alive is our best shot that I can think of."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-10-22 at 06:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [An Inside Entrance]

Delilah looks back down at her envelope with a thoughtful expression.
    "Not that sort of presentation...though if you have a secure computer, I could make one for you. My materials are all papers at the moment."
    With a dubious glance up at Spooky, she shrugs a bit at the other suggestions.
    "If you want me elsewhere, 'have notes, will travel.'"
    “Do your presentation there. ‘Spooky’ will tape it. Though if it’s just a bunch of papers there’s a copy machine too. Will save us both time in the long run.” Dena suggests.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-10-25 at 03:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

"I suppose we could double-check with VIGIL," Electra suggests, "I'm not exactly fond of the idea, but at this point, they're our most reliable lead."

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Return from Skyside]

Kirk gives Dipsnig an understanding nod. "We'll fill in any gaps you have later. Chances are Kabal will be more pissy than usual toward us, but what else is new."

"But yes, later." Kirk will guide Fettina to his room then, putting his hand on her back on the way there. Once they step into the room, Kirk turns to look at her, hit brow furrowed. "You do feel fine, right? I don't want to freak you out anything, but this is... drastic." He gestures at her generally.
    [Return from Skyside]

"I'm not sure you could make me any more freaked out than I already feel," Tina says, a bit shyly, rubbing her left bicep as she endeavors to glance elsewhere. "I don't feel... fine. Exactly. I feel a little numb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tour of MERC]

"Tina got a sweet apartment in Inside. Been there a couple of times." Dena clarifies as she continues petting the wolf. "Don't you have that now, Rein? A sweet apartment I mean. I heard you sold all your loot for enough cash to retire on." And here she was, still slaving away in the mercenary business. "Maybe you're neighbors without even realizing it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Doggies]

Ugh. Reinholdt practically has to pet it, it's being so insistent and nuzzling his hand and everything. Just this once pup. It'll earn itself scritches under the chin before Rein's hand moves aside to make room for Tina's. "You're welcome." Begrudgingly though.

"Is this place really that bad?" Rein hadn't gotten that impression. Maybe it's not about the interior, but rather the location. Actually the location seems really terrible in general. Being sequestered on a mountain doesn't seem to invite business after all. Doesn't seem to have been a problem, but what does Rein know?

He shakes his head at Dena. "Oh no, I've got nothing so luxurious as an apartment. Too costly for me. All my money from that auction was donated directly to Good League of Good's operating funds. I imagine they're set for a while. Or at least until I collect enough loot to do it again." Loot just sort of happens when you're out there stealing it. "I live at HALO now and help Felandria run it. Most I have in Inside might be a safehouse and some contacts." He's been known to butter up the unseen NPC working class with free beers to get info on occasion.
    [Tour of MERC]

"Are you kidding?" Tina says absently, petting the gorgeous and surprisingly placid animal. "This place is freezing, and there's nothing fun to do for miles. I would go insane."

She looks up at the two when they talk about Rein's living situation. "Well I mean... if you're ever in Inside and need a place to crash for a little bit..."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #535
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[An Inside Entrance]

Delilah seems to consider this for a few moments, seemingly vacillating a bit on what would be the wisest decision for information distribution.
    And whether or not she wants to be anywhere near 'Spooky' with a camera.

"I tried to be fairly comprehensive with what I know on these, however that ends up stacking up..."
    My time table is straining.
    "Lead me to the copier, and I'll send you what I have."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

"We'll get you checked out and everything will be fine." Kirk looks at her for a moment longer, and then moves to try and embrace her. "No one will lay another finger on you. Especially not Kabal." He promises.

27. - Top - End - #537

[An Inside Entrance]

"Great, just... tell spooky to show you the copy machine and be done with it." It almost sound like a tiny part of Dena died whenever she mentioned 'spooky'. "Thank your employer for choosing MERC, miss."

The copying and stuff can probably be handwaved.

[An Epic Quest]

Astrana stares at Willa as if the centaur had just gone crazy. "'Backseat drivers'? Explain yourself, now." Suddenly the warlock seems at full alert, painfully she was alone with two people that she didn't know all that well. One that apparently had a 'backseat driver'.

I thought you were gonna go dragon and gorgon slaying! Not talk to them! That's not epic at all! Who have ever heard of a hero who talked down the dragon, huh? That's totally lame! Now you're off doing some bonus quest for a gorgon! That makes you like, the worst hero ever, the kind that serves monsters. She let's out a tsk. It should be noted that Willa is the only one that can actually hear Libra if that wasn't clear before.
    But I guess you can be un-cool if you want to. I'm just gonna push you along a bit so I don't have to hear all this yabber. I'm been making sure this last part should be epic at the very least."

[Tour of MERC]

"The giant gal is running HALO now, huh? Good for her." She wasn't going to make any money out of it though. Why were all these people running what essentially was a charity? A sponsored charity sure but a charity still. Or however HALO paid for all their stuff. Something, something, magic.

"Looks like everyone is moving up in the world, maybe you'll be a big-shot in HALO soon, eh Rein? Go out saving the world and stuff." She muses.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Vigil aren't easy to deal with, no," Dipsnig says, grimacing. "Probably easier if it's Cessie Mithar. Wenomir... he doesn't have a last name to speak of... is about as reasonable as an old shoe. But they know more than we do at this point, so we just have to deal with that." His ears flick. "I have to say, of all the nonsense I've seen here, snake-deities creating gorgon kids from magic wells sure is a new one."

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

"Well, go for it. And I'm a centaur, watch who you go calling the M word around; we get a bad rep too." Willa says to Libra in a huff before turning back to Astrana. It's not fair to call Dena a monster even if Willa dislikes her.
    "My dear patron for this quest has decided to grace me with her words. In this case, that I'm taking too long. It won't be a problem for you."

30. - Top - End - #540

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Yeah, no kidding. I can think of a number of things I would take over this, but I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly," Electra muses, "After all, we could have met with quite a few more unpleasant fates." She shivers slightly. "I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask VIGIL about any of this, either, at this point."

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus eyes Willa. He doesn't know Libra that well, but she did say she wanted it to be entertaining. A thought occurs to him.

"Taking too long, or that we're being boring? If the latter, I suppose that's fairly easily rectified..."