New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Wolf Pups]

"See, now there's your problem," Rein points out to Tina. "If you're already insane, you don't have to worry about being driven crazy," Reinholdt grins, too widely, too brightly.

Mental stability aside, Rein nods. "Sure, when I'm in Inside I'll look you up. I'll try to give you forewarning, but no promises sometimes." When and where he's going to be at any given moment has always been fairly erratic.

Not magic Dena! Other enterprises funding a joint charity. Like a subsidiary. "Gods I hope not. Saving the world absolutely sucks. So does being in charge of anything. Honestly, the people in charge of the endless cycle of good and evil are blind to the pointlessness of it all." Rein keeps claiming that. How futile and unnecessary getting involved in the cycle is since it'll grind on with or without his participation. Yet that doesn't seem to stop him from sticking his neck out for someone in need whenever he sees the opportunity. Well I guess it still lets him nap whenever instead of actively dealing with problems. "I'm just helping a friend is all."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Investigation]

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    "Yeah, no kidding. I can think of a number of things I would take over this, but I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly," Electra muses, "After all, we could have met with quite a few more unpleasant fates." She shivers slightly. "I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask VIGIL about any of this, either, at this point."
    "It could have gone a lot worse, yes," Dipsnig admits. "I'll take over talking to Vigil or have someone else do it, don't worry. You've already taken the brunt of this whole nonsense."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

"I can tell you that they have plenty of demons on their side. Tellysandra, the woman who kidnapped Tina, even have them possessing machines like that car Kirk stole and a drone that chased after us while we were getting out of her mansion." Dena explains. "So they're mixing technology and magic, which is pretty concerning. What if they have demons possess our machines?"

[An Epic Quest]

A patron? Willa hadn't mentioned that before, did that mean she was actually a full-graded warlock now? She had honestly not considered the centaur that until just now. If she was actually telling the truth that is. She had to research this, now that she knew the entity's name this 'Libra' would be curious to find out about. "Right. You could have warned me though, I didn't even know you had a patron. I guess congratulations are in order." The warlock nods at Willa with sudden respect.

Pfffh! Horses aren't monsters, silly! Even if you do cross them with people. Big difference between that and a creature with creepy snake hair that kills people by looking at them. You're just a regular gal! Libra claims. Then her attention is turned to Corvus, who suddenly can hear her inside his mind. Astrana still can't however. And that you're kinda boring right now, duh. All you done is like, compri-comprimz- agreed with people!
    However, her tone suddenly changes when Willa addresses Astrana. You consider me your patron?! That's so cool! Wow! I never even thought about that before! There is a moments pause. I tell you what Willa. If you do complete this quest, I'll also grant you spells and stuff, you know, like a real patron does! I'll even let you pick a theme!
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-10-28 at 09:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa smiles at Astrana weakly. Oh dear, what did she do through her phrasing?
    "I guess you could consider this my final test, along with what it does for me." Because she got an offer. Just now. So she's not lying at all.

Um 'theme?' Like, fire or plants and stuff? Thanks. But maybe we should get on topic for now. You were going to speed me along? Willa tries thinking her answer to Libra this time as she realizes that the being in question can probably hear her thoughts if she tries.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #545
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Outside The Base]

Oliver is outside of the base once more. He starts walking along the walls looking for a door, secret or otherwise.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

6. - Top - End - #546

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus sighs to himself. It's been awhile since he's dealt with deities who like to watch. Luna save him, they're always so hard to come to agreements with. He thinks for a moment, then subvocalizes.

"I was unaware we could collect the venom from dead specimens. I was lead to believe it was rather like trying to collect venom from snakes. However, I believed that you meant for this to be Willa's quest, ultimately. Did I misunderstand the terms of the agreement?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

Dipsnig's ears droop just a little.

"I saw her handiwork in Kirk and Electra's older report," he says. "It's worrying. I'll talk to Astrana and Rilla about countering it somehow. I'd love to counter it by removing Tellysandra from the equation, but that might prove difficult."

[Outside The Base]

Assuming he's outside the main base on top of the mountain, there's only the main door and no hidden ones in evidence.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-10-28 at 02:41 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Outside The Base]

He is indeed at the mountain base.

After realizing there's no secret doors he nods his head and mutters, "I guess they're not as secretive as I would've expected." He walks in through the door without any further ado, trying to look professional and failing a little bit.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wolf Pups]

Tina is either half mad as the cat or thinks what he says is a joke, because all Rein's grin draws from her is a tinkling titter. "You talk like I've never had a friend show up at my door out of the blue before. It's fine," she assures. "You seem like a decent guy to me. Don't have to save the world for that, either."

[Return from Skyside]

Fettina bristles a little as she's hugged, and then returns it forcefully. She begins to sob. "Thank you." Gods, she needed words like that right now. She seems to want just to lean on him for a little bit, quickly covering any tears, but the quivering of her body doesn't quite stop. "What if we can't change me back? Like Dena..." She seemed to be... adapted at least.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #550

[Return from Skyside]

"I dug up a lot on her while planning the rescue. She's old Skyside blood, rooted in that hellhole of a city like a tapeworm to a skriege." A beat. "Means 'sick horse'. Anyway, the lady is loaded and is a spellcaster to boot. Honestly, I don't even know why she bothers with KABAL considering she's in the auto-business, but I guess she's branching out. Rumor is that she had most of her family sacrificed for some twisted demonic ritual. So naturally, the KABAL goons are scared ****less of her and her manor. It's a deathtrap and security will likely be even higher after what we did."

[An Epic Quest]

Yeah! Something like that! Libra tells Willa. But you still gotta do the hard work. Summon an angel and I'll give you something you can bargain with.

Ummm, there were terms? Just, like... get the stuff to me? You take the stuff from some monsters and give it to me. Super-easy. I just thought you'd do it in a interesting way! She tells Corvus.

"I suppose that makes sense. You should still have told me earlier though. But what now then?" Astrana inquires, looking more relaxed than before.

[Wolf Pups]

If Dena knew anything, it was that once people started mentioning the 'endless cycle of good and evil' the conversation had gone off the metaphorical deep end. "Right, maybe we should actually continue so I can give you that private dance you've been paying for? I'll take the payment upfront by the way." She eyes the two behind her sunglasses.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-10-28 at 05:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

"I've been told I'll be given a bargaining chip once the angel is summoned. So let's go with your plan. Corvus and I can handle the thieves once we get there, I'm sure of it." Willa tells Astrana, her confidence renewed.
    And even if it wasn't, knowing Libra is actively watching does make her want to do it the way Libra wants, lest her potion do something awful.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wolf Pups]

"Maybe," Reinholdt isn't as convinced as Tina. Then again, the idea of a friend dropping in out of the blue is a little strange to Rein to begin with. Tina must get a lot of visitors, Rein imagines. "But the same goes to you. If you ever want to come check out HALO sometime, just drop on by. It's got some solid facilities, and a few gorgeous views if you like trips to the aquarium. I think you'd enjoy it." It's a safe bet that most people would.

He glances down at the wolves after Dena demands payment. "Sure, but we're not doing it here are we?" In front of the pet pen seems... an odd choice for dances.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

[Return from Skyside]

Dipsnig shrugs.

"Even a powerful spellcaster needs disposable goons. Which KABAL provides her. What about Kelligan, though?" he taps his tusk. "He's supposedly the boss there, but maybe he's just a patsy for this Tellysandra."

[Outside The Base]

Behind the door is the building's main lobby, where some mercenaries are milling about. Behind a circular desk sits a fairly imposing Tauren woman, dwarfing it somewhat by her bulk.

"May we help you?" she asks in a bored tone.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-10-28 at 06:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Outside The Base]=>[Main Lobby]

Oliver's eyes go wide for a moment, then he says, "Uh, I'm a licensee and just got done with a job so...where do I put MERC's cut, and how much is it?"

15. - Top - End - #555

NinjaGuy

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra nods, looking relieved.

"Thanks, sir. I think I'm going to go get some rest. It's been quite the day."

With that, she turns and heads for the door, looking forward to some time in bed.

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus nods at Willa, before subvocalizing once more.

"Well, hopefully we're mostly past the boring part, then."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

16. - Top - End - #556

[Wolf Pups]

"I bet I would. I've heard of HALO but I've never been there," Tina explains. She looks at Dena, straightening up from her crouch. "Up front! You're so cold, Dena. It must be from living up here." She fishes around in her coat. "Can you scan a data slate?" I mean, who can't?

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Lobby]

"The cut is ten percent, deliver it in a sealed and signed package containing whatever currency it was paid in or exchanged into," the tauren says. "There's packaging here if you've got it with you."

18. - Top - End - #558

[Wolf Pups]

Dena uses one of the benefits of never having to show her eyes, namely rolling them. Was Rein being intentionally daft or something? She had already told them were they were supposed to go.
    "Just professional standards, Tina-bina." She clarifies as she gets up from the floor while continuing to pat the wolf. "But I don't have any scanner on me though. Don't even have a standard price-tag for your private dance request so I ad-libbed it. But hey, if you don't have cash on you I suppose I could make an exception just for you..." She now moves ahead, continuing towards her dance room.

[Return from Skyside]

"Maybe, or he's a patsy for the other leader. There's three of them see, just like we have. Last guy is one of those mummy-energy people, ethereals. Been a few of them here a couple of times, always making weird requests. Like when one of them wanted the blood of a bunch of famous people for a "art-project", remember that? They're crazy, and this guy probably isn't much saner. Worst of all, they have weird magic-telepotation-technology or whatever to boot, so that's apparently another thing we need to look out for." Dena explains.

[An Epic Quest]

"So you want me to summon the angel you like to talk to then?" Astrana inquires. "If that's the case, it might be better if you perform the ritual and I just give you instructions. Angels are all about formality. They would only accept a bargain from the person performing the ritual."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Main Lobby]

Chaos coughs a little and says, with as much confidence as he can muster, this being his first time delivering MERCs cut, says, "I do have it with me." He then drops two bags on the table, with the two bags containing a lot of gold coins. Still speaking with fake confidence, he asks, "Where would this packaging be then?"

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Lobby]

The tauren waves over a much smaller person, who appears to be a goblin of the same species as Dipsnig, but with skin so grey it's almost black, a crew-cut hair and bright yellow eyes. He rummages through the shelves and hands Oliver a thick envelope with MERC's logo and a placard for filling out the information.

"Just count out the gold, put it into the envelope and sign. It's standard procedure, you'll get used to it," the tauren mercenary says.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa nods. "Yeah sounds good. Show me." Willa should be able to pull off a basic summoning if she has instructions. Hopefully.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Return from Skyside]

Fettina bristles a little as she's hugged, and then returns it forcefully. She begins to sob. "Thank you." Gods, she needed words like that right now. She seems to want just to lean on him for a little bit, quickly covering any tears, but the quivering of her body doesn't quite stop. "What if we can't change me back? Like Dena..." She seemed to be... adapted at least.
    [Return from Skyside]

Kirk will hold her as long as she needs it. "We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Before that we'll do everything we have to, alright?" It's not as though he can make any guarantees, except to try. "For now you should try to get some sleep. You must be exhausted."

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wolf Pups]

No one using the phrase 'Tina-bina' unironically could ever accuse someone else of being daft. Dena was being super slow about moving them away from the icky canines, so Rein had to get her rolling somehow.

"I have cash in gold coins," Rein offers. "Haven't seen many people around here accept data as payment. Well, except Trog's. They'll take anything. I once saw a guy pay for his beer with velvet slugs I think he called them." Reinholdt shrugs and shakes his head as he falls in step and follows Dena. "Fish would have been better."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Main Lodge]

"Oookay!" Oliver counts out the money pretty quickly, knowing the exact amount because he's been counting different percentages out ever since he got back. He writes the information and puts the money in the envelope.

"Is that all?"

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Lobby]

"That's it," the tauren says with a nod. "Your dues are paid. You can get back to work or hang out here."

[Return from Skyside]

Dipsnig's ears twitch and he doesn't look terribly content.

"I remember that contract, yes. And I've heard about the Ethereals from my contacts around the sea. This is disconcerting. I'm going to draw up a plan of action tomorrow. We've let KABAL harass us for too long and it's time to take the initiative. Starting with countering their advantages against us."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Main Lobby]

"I came here in the middle of unpacking after moving, so I think I'll actually go finish that. Might come back here after that. Thanks for the help!" Oliver heads off, rather surprised that it was that simple. Though, he didn't really expect anything complicated either.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-10-30 at 05:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [An Inside Entrance]

"Great, just... tell spooky to show you the copy machine and be done with it." It almost sound like a tiny part of Dena died whenever she mentioned 'spooky'. "Thank your employer for choosing MERC, miss."

The copying and stuff can probably be handwaved.
    Delilah most definitely empathizes with whatever pain Dena feels there.
    So off she goes to copy, deliver, hand off, etc. the documents!

Spoiler: Intel Documentation Summary
    Show

Notable Individual: Venmaunt
    Half-dragon scion of the hex dragon Feiadyne. A martial magecraft combatant specialized in larger weaponry and personal alteration.
    Not the most dangerous threat in this situation, but is taking the lead on a hunt for a particular religious artifact.

Actual threats: skinwalkers
    Mutated shapeshifters dragged in from an apocalyptic wasteland. Not individually capable of wide destruction, they function as virulent assassins. Prefer to isolate targets and either subsume their identities or infect into another of their kind.
    Generally mentally unstable, though exhibit this varyingly. Some degree of magic of their own, though its capability is less known as they prefer physical assaults. Claws, teeth, tentacles, they seem able to spontaneously draw from a wide pool of biological weaponry.
    Select few seem to be able to propagate a necromantic gas, leeches life and erodes inorganic materials. Warps audio electronics.
    Specifics vary from one to the next, but every single one suffers from a crippling weakness to flame as a rule.

Primary threat lies in their intention to infect and spread their population throughout the city, person by person.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

28. - Top - End - #568

[Wolf Pups --> Dancing Queen!]

Tina, for one, can't ever help giggling at Dena's nicknames. She interprets them as endearing. "I mean, if Reinholdt really doesn't mind covering it..." Fettina shrugs her little shoulders, glancing at the cat. Still so hard to tell when he's being serious and when not. "You know I meant like... the slate's connected to my bank account. Digital money. You know. It's a lot safer than coins," she points out.

[Kirk's Room]

"Mmokay," Tina murmurs. She was pretty damned exhausted. "Stay with me?" She asks. There's no extra innuendo in her tone. In fact the emotion is almost drained from it entirely.

If Kirk does lie with her, he'll find there's still more odd about Tina. The feel of her skin is... deadened. Rather unpleasant to the touch. And she never seems to stop being cold.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kirk's Room]

"I'm not going anywhere." Kirk will climb into bed with her and hold her as they go to sleep. He makes no comment on any changes and will hold her just like he ever has. He won't speak anymore, not wanting to slow her descent into sleep.

30. - Top - End - #570

[Wolf Pups==> Gym]

"Directly into my bank account? Sure, if you can do that. Don't sweat it though, I already said you didn't have to pay in advance." She eyes the cat. "As long as it isn't in fish of course."

And so they enter the gym which is a simple affair. There are three benches, one along each wall of the room besides the east one which has the door with the letters WC carved into it.
    Dena starts taking off her jacket and hangs it on one of the hooks near the entrance. Underneath she still have her bikini on.
    "Right, so you had a request? Or should I just pick one of my favorite dances?" She asks, eyeing the two.

[Return from Skyside]

Dena nods. "Sounds like a plan, now I'm gonna hit the bed, hard." She remarks as she starts walking off. "Just don't wake me up tomorrow, I've deserved my beauty sleep!" The drow-gorgon calls back at Dipsnig before disappearing behind a corner.